Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Project 3.4 TDC / 4-speed muncie swap underway... (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
Previous Page | Next Page
Project 3.4 TDC / 4-speed muncie swap underway... by Darth Fiero
Started on: 02-29-2004 09:31 PM
Replies: 397
Last post by: Kohburn on 04-28-2005 08:36 AM
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2004 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Got the hard-fuel lines made up today. I used 3/8" and 5/16" brake line from autozone. It comes coated in some kind of olive green paint. That $10 tubing bender I bought was a really good investment.

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 03-20-2004).]

IP: Logged
SplineZ

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
Would softer braided fuel lines work fine for this application?

Is there an advantage to using hardlines besides in a high pressure system?

James Z

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
braded lines would work ok but ultimately hard lines are the safest and most durable if that is what you are asking. They are cheaper too.
THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post
Darth Fiero, you are the MAN!

Keep the good work!

Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post
Nice thread. You do awesome work Darth.

-Amir

------------------

Maroon 1987 GT 5 spd: 2.8L
Ferrari Red 1988 Formula 5 spd: 3800 Series II Supercharged In & Running.....

My Website: http://www.members.cox.net/rare88/
CarDomain Website: http://www.cardomain.com/id/rare87gt

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the props, this project is at a standstill right now because I am waiting on parts to show up from GMpartsdirect, namely the flywheel. I need the flywheel so I can match up the bigger clutch and pressure plate the 3.4 engine uses. I guess the 3.4 is designed to use a 9 11/16" clutch disc but the stock Fiero is only 8 and some change. No reason to cheap out here or use an expensive aftermarket unit when there is more room for the big one. 83-84 Camaro's with the 2.8L and manual trans used the same spline input shaft and the 9 11/16" clutch disc. Appearantly the 284 getrag uses a pull-type clutch so I don't know if the pressure plate from the Lumina will work. But something tells me the one from the 83-84 camaro will. Like I said, I need to get that stock 3.4 Flywheel here so I can do some measuring.
gascarracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2004 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gascarracerSend a Private Message to gascarracerDirect Link to This Post

Bump...

------------------
Ernie

1988 Silver GT
One owner 47000 miles.
Soon to be a 3.4 DOHC powered.

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2004 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
I was just going to bump this topic as well with an update. The update is this: all the parts I ordered from gmpartsdirect for this 3.4 DOHC are "special order". Appearantly that means they are all on back order as I have already received the Fiero battery tray pieces from them that were ordered a week AFTER the DOHC parts. Hopefully these parts will get here soon as I am really itching to get this project back on track.

Since the 3.4 DOHC project is on hold I decided to travel back to my hometown of Fort Wayne, Indiana and help my friend swap a 96 3800 Series II / 4T60-E into his 92 Lumina Euro. We had previously installed a 91 Regal's 3800 Vin L engine in his Lumina but that engine was having some issues so he decided to upgrade because he got the '96 powertrain for a very good price.

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 03-30-2004).]

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2004 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
I put a WCF 9 11/16 clutch in on my swap and used an 88 flywheel from GMparts direct with a 5 speed isuzu and the clutch body hit the bell housing. Not by much and it was a simply job to grind some off the housing to get it to clear, pics on my web site. Just thought yoy might be interested. PS I shiipped you my prom last week to program. Let me know when you get it. Getting close to "the big day".

------------------
Dave E

www.ltlfrari.com

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2004 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

I put a WCF 9 11/16 clutch in on my swap and used an 88 flywheel from GMparts direct with a 5 speed isuzu and the clutch body hit the bell housing. ... pics on my web site. Just thought yoy might be interested.

I'm interested. Can you post your web site? So it shows up in all your posts haw about making it part of your signiture?

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023174.html

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 20th Anniversary Show - 7/2003
Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 8th Annual Fiero Fun Weekend @ Daytona - 3/2004

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2004 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
his website is in his sig..
PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2004 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
I have another way of doing the fuel lines. I used the lines off an 84 because they run up the drivers side vice the pass side. I had to cut off the bottom 6-8 inches and move the fuel filter to the other side of the car, (drivers vs. pass) and then im using a small 6-8 inch piece of hose. I even used the stock brackets to mount it up, i just had to drill the holes. Just passing this on

Rob

------------------

88 TTop coupe (CJB #95), 96 3.4DOHC/5 speed in progress

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2004 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
---UPDATE---

More bad news on this car. Remember the pictures of the crack in the block? Well, appearantly this happened because someone put straight water in the cooling system because there was another problem somewhere else. Well, when the car stopped running and was parked, appearantly this person never bothered to drain the water from the cooling system. As a result, the hard lines going to the heater core split. No big deal, a local junk yard sold me a pair for $5 and I installed them, that was the easy part. The hard part is I just found out that the left radiator coolant tube also has a split in it. Being an 86, that means I have to remove the front crossmember to get it out since I don't have a lift. The other side does not appear to be leaking now, but since I am going to have to pull the crossmember, might as well change them both.

Also, the donor engine has a bad fuel pressure regulator. The diaphram must be ripped internally because it shoots fuel out the vacuum port when pressurized. The good news is all the fuel injectors test ok. Flywheel should be here late this week or early next week so I can piece a clutch and pressure plate together and get the engine/trans into the car. RAREW66 is painting the valve covers and upper intake and should be done with them soon. He spent a LOT of time sanding down those parts and the first coat of paint looks a mile deep. They look so good I am almost afraid to touch them

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2004 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Darth Fiero

5921 posts
Member since Oct 2002

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

I put a WCF 9 11/16 clutch in on my swap and used an 88 flywheel from GMparts direct with a 5 speed isuzu and the clutch body hit the bell housing.

The last time I did this we used the 9 11/16" clutch disc and pressure plate from an 83-84? Camaro in a 5-speed Getrag. I think the parts were for the 83-84 Camaro because the person who ordered the parts can't remember for sure. I know the pressure plate and clutch disc were bigger than the stock Fiero's tho. Anyway, no clearance problems whatsoever. But this time I am using the muncie so I don't know if there will be any issues. If so, I am sure it won't be worse than what you went thru with the Isuzu.

fiero308

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2004 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero308Send a Private Message to fiero308Direct Link to This Post
Excellent thread and excellent work, Darth; everyone is just waiting for your next post!!! Keep it up!! ....... and who is going to fill the gap when this is done....... !?!?!?!?!?!?
Jeremiah

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2004 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JeremiahSend a Private Message to JeremiahDirect Link to This Post
So what is the cost going to be on this swap?

------------------
Fiero
1984 Fiero standard tranny
Mission: Make my Coupe into an SE
Mission Accomplished as of 04/05/04

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2004 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero308:

Excellent thread and excellent work, Darth; everyone is just waiting for your next post!!! Keep it up!! ....... and who is going to fill the gap when this is done....... !?!?!?!?!?!?

The wifey is itching for me to do her L36/4T60-E swap (3800 Series II N/A) into her 85 2m6 so that will be the next swap I do. I plan to document that swap just like this one so be watching for it.

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2004 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Good news, the parts from gmpartsdirect showed up today which means I can get the clutch pieced together.

While the stock Fiero 2.8L flywheel might bolt right up to the 3.4 DOHC engine, you can't use it because the 3.4 DOHC is internally balanced. Below is a pic of the new one compared to the 2.8 stocker. Notice the big counter balance weight cast into the stocker. The other sides of both these flywheels look identical, in fact, you could bolt the stock 9 1/8" fiero clutch disc and pressure plate to the new flywheel no problem.

Here is a close up of the stock 2.8 flywheel so you can better see the counter weight:

The stock clutch wasn't in too bad of shape but all the parts were saturated in oil. I bet this clutch chattered pretty bad the last time this car was driven.

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 04-09-2004).]

Jeremiah

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2004 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JeremiahSend a Private Message to JeremiahDirect Link to This Post
Darth, how much would a swap like this cost?
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2004 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jeremiah:

Depends on what you want done, and what level (quality) of work you want performed, and how much you spend on an engine and parts. I will have a total parts price list when I get done that I will share with you. As far as labor, again, it depends on what you want done so its hard to just shoot a price out there. PM me with specifics and I can give you a quote on the labor.

NYfastback

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2004 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NYfastbackClick Here to visit NYfastback's HomePageSend a Private Message to NYfastbackDirect Link to This Post
I am new to the forum and i was thinking, What is the HP loss by putting the fiero's system on the 3.4's long block?
PFF
System Bot
gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2004 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normDirect Link to This Post
TTT
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2004 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
The 88 and newer GM 60deg V6's are also internaly balanced. So you could use an 88 flywheel

------------------

Rickady88GT QuadCam 3.5 V6

Spyhunter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2004 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpyhunterSend a Private Message to SpyhunterDirect Link to This Post
Great thread, thanks!
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2004 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NYfastback:

I am new to the forum and i was thinking, What is the HP loss by putting the fiero's system on the 3.4's long block?

The 3.4 TDC/DOHC engines do not use any of the Fiero heads, intake or other stuff. There is not any HP loss.

Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2004 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jeremiah:

His prices are awsome. You'll be hard to find anyone whos any cheaper. You may find someone cheaper, but the lever of quality is outstanding.

He did a swap for me. See sig.

------------------
1986 GT, LT1/4T60E
http://hometown.aol.com/ptfiero/index.html
On the forum
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/045554.html
more in depth look
http://dtcc.cz28.com/LT1build/index.htm

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2004 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
bump...
YellowArtero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2004 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YellowArteroSend a Private Message to YellowArteroDirect Link to This Post
While Darth has been getting his hands dirty on my car, I've had to sit back and wait. Boy is that hard! Because I have to have a good looking engine, I wanted to do the covers and plenum in a nice red. Below is one I did with one of my other cars. I wanted a nice shaved look.

The '90 prototype had a good looking engine compartment complete with a TDC motor. The large plenum dominates the look of the engine. It begs to be better looking.

To have the parts shipped up to me was out of the question ... way too expensive so RAREW66 stepped in and has been working on the parts for me. Below are pictures he sent me.

Note the casting marks ...

and now all nice and smooth. It will receive a nice coat of code 81 Red.

gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2004 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normDirect Link to This Post
TTT
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2004 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
you know, that fuel injector cover that was on the prototype fiero looks like it was cast aluminum or magnesium. too bad the stock w-body one is plastic.
gascarracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2004 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gascarracerSend a Private Message to gascarracerDirect Link to This Post
Bump

------------------
Ernie

1988 Silver GT
One owner 47000 miles.

PFF
System Bot
YellowArtero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2004 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YellowArteroSend a Private Message to YellowArteroDirect Link to This Post
RAREW66 sent some photos of the valve covers.

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2004 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
and those pictures he sent you don't do the covers justice. In person, that paint looks like it is a mile deep... very impressive.
gascarracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2004 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gascarracerSend a Private Message to gascarracerDirect Link to This Post
Moving it to the top where it belongs.

------------------
Ernie

1988 Silver GT
One owner 47000 miles.

gascarracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2004 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gascarracerSend a Private Message to gascarracerDirect Link to This Post

Another move up...

------------------
Ernie

1988 Silver GT
One owner 47000 miles.

gascarracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2004 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gascarracerSend a Private Message to gascarracerDirect Link to This Post
bump

------------------
Ernie

1988 Silver GT
One owner 47000 miles.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post04-25-2004 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
I don't know much about art, but i know what i like!
Beautifull Documentation.......Thanx!
(Sentiments by Boondawg, Spelling by Tequila)
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-25-2004 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Bump

Boondawg

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-26-2004 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Bump
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-26-2004 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003
bump
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave