Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Crazy Dave's ZZ430 FI Build Progress (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
Crazy Dave's ZZ430 FI Build Progress by crazyd
Started on: 07-25-2002 04:22 PM
Replies: 249
Last post by: crazyd on 04-03-2004 08:40 PM
88formula

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2002 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88formulaClick Here to visit 88formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88formulaDirect Link to This Post
Wow looks awesome but won't that engine snap that transmission or axles like a twig.

------------------

IP: Logged
crazyd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2002 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
Guess we'll find out. Luckily you only have to buy Rodney's FWD Getrag adapter once, then you can buy all the FWD Getrags you want.

Currently the plan is to leave the water pump right-side-up as it is in that photo and route the coolant hose under the harmonic balancer.

Dave

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2002 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Very nice deep pocket project I guess if that engine fits (height) then a RamJet should fit also. That would be my dream daily driver for a money-no-obstacle car . Keep us posted..

------------------
Alex4mulas :-)
N2O! 3.4!

crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2002 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
Alex, you have no idea just how deep this is. My lobster and filet budget is going to be reduced to ramen and macaroni! Seriously though, I had to sell my house to pay for it. I have a label on my silver Corvette carrying a mantra which reads, "You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house." I'm living it.

As far as the ramjet engine is concerned, that's a low-torque motor, and I'm trying to keep the low-torque down to minimize my risk with the driveline. At these power levels, I think it is best to keep the torque high.

Dave

[This message has been edited by crazyd (edited 08-01-2002).]

artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2002 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
Ah, someone finally gets it

PS: love the plate frame, so true!

Best!
Ben.

Originally posted by crazyd:
I'm trying to keep the low-torque down to minimize my risk with the driveline. At these power levels, I think it is best to keep the torque high.

Dave

[This message has been edited by crazyd (edited 08-01-2002).]

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top, Metalic Red. (2:13.138 at Sears Point) "Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
88 Formula, Northstar, Silver, In-Progreess. -Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2002 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
I was just looking through the GMPP catalog again today and it had this info to throw in for posterity and curiosity.

10105123 350ci Bare Block, cast iron 197lbs
10185075 350ci Bare Block, aluminum 90lbs

Difference: 107lbs

I just went out in the shop and weighed these two transmissions. This is what I got.

MG2 Getrag 5-speed 90lbs
TH125c automatic 170lbs

Difference: 80lbs

As Spock would say, "Fascinating."

Dave

crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2002 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
The pulley arrangement with the water pump, alternator and a/c compressor is being sorted out. Pics to come soon.
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2002 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
A few pics from yesterday..... got the belts drives all sorted out.

I hear all these experts saying that they don't like my W/P drive .... the alternative to that wouldbe to use an electric pump. This is the next alternative. What we did here was to move the engine to the left in the chassis by 2.375" (like on the Z kit) Moving the engine over like this requires notching the frame rails to clear the end of the transmission and the huge stock SBC HBP. When people complain about my W/P drive and the sheet metal you have to trim out of the inner wheel well to clear it, then I can't figure out why they want to use the Z method that requires frame notching on both frame rails. Like this....

As you can see we've welede in a lot of steel plate and boxed the frame rails. Considering that if you use and electric W/P or my W/P Drive you can mount the engine in the normal location and avoid all this frame notching, this method (shown) becomes a lot of extra work & also more expensive since it requires that you use custom length axles. However on the subject of W/P drives this illustrates the difference between the 2 methods.

Here are some pics of the engine asembly after we finished the belt drive & before we put it in the car.

Here is a pic of the belt drive system:

A couple of pics of the whole assembly.... that's Crazy Dave in the white nd another groopie standing with him.

More to come later today.

Archie

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2002 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
That just looks like a work of art.
...or is that a work of Arch.

Nice work, guys.

------------------
Raydar

From the Department of Redundancy Department.

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2002 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
archie, i like to know what you think of the v8 conversion that had the marine waterpump. hope that's not too vauge. it was posted a few months back by one of the canadian guys. seemed to maybe be a good option if the car dosen't have a/c.

found the thread...
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/017141.html

[This message has been edited by Philphine (edited 08-09-2002).]

tstroud

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2002 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tstroudSend a Private Message to tstroudDirect Link to This Post
YIKES!!
I'm glad I didn't have to chop up my frame like that.
I feel a lot better about the small notch I made in my frame.
Seeing the amount of frame modification involved with the stock pulleys, I am glad I bought archies water pump drive kit.
And when my pump starts to leak it will only cost about $30.00 for a pump would be available at any parts store in the nation and I'm on my way.
Try that with your electric water pumps.
If you break down in bum f**k egypt, you will be staying for a few days.
Thanks for showing me what is involved in running stock pulleys, I always wondered.

tstroud

PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2002 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Well, it's in there.

Next week we install and exhaust, hook up the cooling system and the wires & boot it up.

Archie

GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2002 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
Page 2? NEVER! Bump
Enterra

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2002 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EnterraSend a Private Message to EnterraDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:
A few pics from yesterday..... got the belts drives all sorted out.
Here is a pic of the belt drive system:

Archie

Archie ... is this a new Alt racket system? looks like you are using 2 brackets instead of the usual 1. Is this to keep everything in line?

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2002 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Enterra:
Archie ... is this a new Alt racket system? looks like you are using 2 brackets instead of the usual 1. Is this to keep everything in line?

No not really. On this car (& on my Stinger) this area is easy to see when looking into the engine compartment so I thought it would look a little cooler if I doubled up on the bracket. This is actually just 2 Alternator brackets bolted together. Nothing fancy & not really necessary. A little decoration if you will.

Archie

crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2002 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
More pictures of the latest progress.

A shot of the passenger side wheelwell with most of the coolant lines in place:

Working on the exhaust. Since this is an '88 GT, the factory rear sway bar is in an awkward place to clear the exhaust:

The front side, however, isn't a problem. (looking sideways, I can't rotate images):

Dave

crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2002 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post

crazyd

2011 posts
Member since Feb 2002
A couple more.

[This message has been edited by crazyd (edited 08-14-2002).]

UFO!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2002 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UFO!Send a Private Message to UFO!Direct Link to This Post
Wow! Looking good Crazyd!
sipes24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2002 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sipes24Send a Private Message to sipes24Direct Link to This Post
Just a quick question, what is the "NEW SPEC STAGE III CLUTCH"? Great looking set up!!
crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2002 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
It is an alternative clutch for hi-power applications (>350 fp torque) made by Star Performance Engineering, that a few of the deep-pocketed among us are torture-testing for the benefit of the Fiero community. Building mega-power engines to install in Fieros, flogging the sh!t out of them, and then reporting back to the Forum is our way of giving back.

I also offer consulting services to find the limits and weak points of your car, if you'd like.

Dave

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2002 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

It is an alternative clutch for hi-power applications (>350 fp torque) made by Star Performance Engineering, that a few of the deep-pocketed among us are torture-testing for the benefit of the Fiero community. Building mega-power engines to install in Fieros, flogging the sh!t out of them, and then reporting back to the Forum is our way of giving back.

I also offer consulting services to find the limits and weak points of your car, if you'd like.

Dave

Oh, the sacrifices you make for the good of the forum.

PFF
System Bot
Butter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2002 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post

Building mega-power engines to install in Fieros, flogging the sh!t out of them, and then reporting back to the Forum is our way of giving back.

Sounds like a terribly hard job but for the "good of the forum" I'll volunteer my services if yall need any help.

lowCG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2002 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lowCGSend a Private Message to lowCGDirect Link to This Post
Cool project,can't wait to see the completed exhaust.
Will-Martin

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2002 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post
OOOOOoooooooooOOOOOo

I spy a Beautiful Deep Sapphire with my wondering blue eyes.

crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2002 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
Completed exhaust:

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2002 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Did you loose any of the trunk for that exhaust?
crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2002 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I lost the lower section of the trunk for the mufflers. That is why it is having a hitch installed. As you can see there is also a catcon above the two mufflers, so there will be a lot of heat beneath the trunk. I had hoped to extend the trunk down a little for some more room, but the heat nixed that idea since it would melt the carpeting.

Dave

sipes24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2002 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sipes24Send a Private Message to sipes24Direct Link to This Post
Dave, Will the clutch work with a zumalt adapter and 5speed? I bought the car with the kit already in it, sorry Arch!
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2002 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Well the exhaust is not yet complete in these pics. we still have to put 90 degree turns and the S.S.Resonator Tips on both sides & paint the exhaust.

The Cat is mounted about 7" below the new trunk floor, so there is plenty of room for circulation around it.

Dave does need a little trailer to put his stuff in. You wouldn't believe how much stuff he has packed away in his car. He travels with more baggage than my wife takes.

BTW, you can build a good exhaust with the trunk area still intact. But if you want Cats & dual mufflers outside the engine compartment, you're going to give up a few inches of your trunk area.

Archie

sipes24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2002 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sipes24Send a Private Message to sipes24Direct Link to This Post
Dave or Archie, Can one of you guys give me the part# for the Star Performance Engineered clutch that you are using in the setup. PLEASE!! Thanks Scott sipes40@aol.com
artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2002 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
Was it '96 Gran Sport Blue by chance?? ;D)

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top, Metalic Red. (2:13.138 at Sears Point) "Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
88 Formula, Northstar, Silver, In-Progreess. -Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

PFF
System Bot
Kaz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2002 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KazSend a Private Message to KazDirect Link to This Post
Crazyd,

It was very nice to meeting you
I love the set up.

------------------

G-Nasty

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2002 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for G-NastyClick Here to visit G-Nasty's HomePageSend a Private Message to G-NastyDirect Link to This Post
Cant wait to see the intake plumbing, filter & vent setup. After you install all the heat thermal protection insulation, the engine compartment should look like something NASA put together. That crazyd engine is going to generate some serious looks fellas'.
OUT>

[This message has been edited by G-Nasty (edited 08-17-2002).]

crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2002 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by artherd:
Was it '96 Gran Sport Blue by chance?? ;D)

Nope, it's not the Grand Sport's Admiral Blue.

Dave

crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2002 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post

crazyd

2011 posts
Member since Feb 2002

Originally posted by sipes24:
Dave or Archie, Can one of you guys give me the part# for the Star Performance Engineered clutch that you are using in the setup. PLEASE!! Thanks Scott sipes40@aol.com

http://www.speclutches.com/

crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2002 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kaz:
Crazyd,
It was very nice to meeting you
I love the set up.

Kaz,

Glad we could hang out for a bit. I hope we can hit the track together soon.

It's DONE.

Dave

ZeroFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2002 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZeroFieroSend a Private Message to ZeroFieroDirect Link to This Post
Was there any hood clearance issues Dave?
If not would you mind PM'ing me the contact
info for that FI? I think I'd like to try this, hopefully next year.

-ZeroFiero

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2002 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
It's Done? That's all you have to say? How's the clutch working out? What does 400 HP in a Fiero feel like? Did you break anything yet? Speeding tickets? permanate grin? Sleepless nights? Second set of rear tires?

But most of all...

Are we going to see it at the Fierorama?

LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2002 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
It is done... That is Great how about taking it to cruise night in Crystal Lake a week from tomorrow. I finished my LS1 too. I need some exhaust work done that I can't do that myself. Can't see why I couldn't get it done by next week. We could park side by side. It would be funny to see all expressions on people faces as they walk by. Once again congrats !!!
87GTZ34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2002 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTZ34Send a Private Message to 87GTZ34Direct Link to This Post
CrazyDave, Congratulations! Don't forget to post dyno slips, strip tickets, smokey tickets and whatever else you accumulate with that beast. It will make the rest of us drool heavily. Have fun with it.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock