Ferrari 288GTO build by dobie1
Started on: 08-31-2014 11:18 PM
Replies: 295 (13050 views)
Last post by: RCR on 02-16-2020 10:29 AM
dobie1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Click Here to Email dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had a busy 10 days , my daughter had her second child a baby girl which makes for our second grandchild. We looked after my grandsons and their two dogs for 4 days so no work on the car.
I got back to finishing the front spoiler which Im happy to say turned out great. A lot of what I'm doing is removing all the foam that was buried in the fibreglass shell.
Everything I'm doing right now is preparing the parts for molding, and how there will attach to each other and the Fiero car frame.
Hopefully you can follow my process with my pictures.

Here I'm filling in the area with core board the tape holds it in position while I bondo from behind

Once its all set I put a scim of bondo over it to flatten the piece ,I then put a layer of fibreglass to seal it.
This will be a molded piece in the part.

I also cut away a lot of the front spoiler getting it to what it really needs to look like and how it will attach to the fenders

doing a similar fill as I did on the fenders with core board on the end caps

This shows the underside of the fenders and spoiler with the 2" lip that will be in the final part.

And this is the finished look

Thanks for looking.
Wayne

[This message has been edited by dobie1 (edited 01-23-2020).]

IP: Logged
dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2020 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Click Here to Email dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was back at it again today moving onto the back end to do a mod for the new exhaust I want to install to quiet the 3800 down. I picked up a high performance BMW stainless steel muffler that I'm going to modify to fit my application.

I had to cut away some more of the trunk to make room for the muffler , I got to use my plasma cutter I got last year sure cuts like butter.

There is a difference between what I had originally built and the exit of the new exhaust so I needed to modify the rear valance to accommodate the narrower exhaust.

I'll finish it up tomorrow, I'm hoping that once the muffler is installed I will design a diffuser along the back to totally hide the muffler and engine cradle.

Wayne
dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Click Here to Email dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finished up the modification to the lower rear valance , I also made a deeper cut for the exhaust tips after taking some further measurements.
I still need to come up with a lower diffuser design , It will come to me just taking bit longer than normal.

Anyone have any ideas??

I never posted to a previous modification I made to the bumper area. I found the recess to be too deep almost 5"s making molding much more problematic to release.
I cut the area out and moved it forward 3 "s and reattached it, I rounded out all the seams to make mold release easier. Its all hidden behind the the bumpers but it's just one more area completed.

Excitement builds !!! I'm at last onto the last part of the car finishing the rear quarters, the Gills I think may take a bit of work to finish but it's probably one of the most iconic designs built into the car so needs to be done right.

Thanks for looking.
Wayne

[This message has been edited by dobie1 (edited 01-29-2020).]

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRClick Here to Email RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bob
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wowsers, just wowsers!

shem
fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2020 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to Email fourpoint9Send a Private Message to fourpoint9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobie1:

...I still need to come up with a lower diffuser design ,...Anyone have any ideas?

dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2020 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Click Here to Email dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Fourpoint9

Wow !!! That looks actually pretty cool and a very Interesting design. It seems to From what I can see to rap around under the Gills on the side.

On a side note that’s a interesting colour as well.

Thanks for posting!!
Wayne

[This message has been edited by dobie1 (edited 02-02-2020).]

dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2020 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Click Here to Email dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The build is moving along even with the weather and temps doing their best to slow everything to a crawl.
I've been putting a lot of time into the side Gills , I found that I had made a mistake in my design. After some research I have now corrected both sides to match the OEM 288. I also have closed off the openings now to allow for building the molds.
I also cleaned up the rear spoiler tradition from the engine compartment to the beginning of the spoiler.
I have probably a weeks worth of finish sanding and I'll spray the entire car with epoxy sealer primer and then a heavy coat of slick sand to do final sand to 600 grit preparing for paint.
enjoy

Wayne

[This message has been edited by dobie1 (edited 02-05-2020).]

fourpoint9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to Email fourpoint9Send a Private Message to fourpoint9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobie1:

Hi Fourpoint9

Wow !!! That looks actually pretty cool and a very Interesting design. It seems to From what I can see to rap around under the Gills on the side.

On a side note that’s a interesting colour as well.

Thanks for posting!!
Wayne

It's looking so good. I like that colour also.
Here's a link to the page I found that one on. https://www.motor1.com/phot...288-gto-r-rendering/
I sent you a PM

[This message has been edited by fourpoint9 (edited 02-06-2020).]

dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Click Here to Email dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fourpoint9

Pm sent
fourpoint9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to Email fourpoint9Send a Private Message to fourpoint9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

another view

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Diabbbbbbblo!!!!!!
dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2020 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Click Here to Email dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been busy finishing up all the final details to the body before I spray the final finish before paint.
I've closed off all the scoops ,and finished all the wheel lips. The final detail is the front fender turn signal locations , I elected to cut them out and re-attached them in a flat plane to the car, due to the coke bottel fenders I felt they would look wrong. The filler is just for rounding the lip for the molding process , I'll do bit more sanding the area around the edges to make it a bit cleaner. I also cut out the fender badge locations, on the OEM car they badges are recessed into the fender .
I'll reattach them similarly the same as the turn signals using a 3/16" spacer held in place and bonded from behind, then finish with some light filler around the perimeter.
I'll post some pics of the finished areas.

Enjoy
Wayne

[This message has been edited by dobie1 (edited 02-12-2020).]

dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2020 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Click Here to Email dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finished up the fender shield mounting recessed areas, I'm happy with the way they came out. I tested one of the shields for fit ,fits like a glove.

Thanks for visiting
Wayne

dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2020 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Click Here to Email dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don O came over to give me a hand today as well as pick up some parts I did a carbon fiber vaacum bag. they came out pretty nice

Here are a few pics of the car in one color again, looks way better

Thanks for looking
Wayne
RCR

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2020 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRClick Here to Email RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great Wayne... Definitely giving me a ray of hope once it warms up a bit.

Bob
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock