I have had a busy 10 days , my daughter had her second child a baby girl which makes for our second grandchild. We looked after my grandsons and their two dogs for 4 days so no work on the car. I got back to finishing the front spoiler which Im happy to say turned out great. A lot of what I'm doing is removing all the foam that was buried in the fibreglass shell. Everything I'm doing right now is preparing the parts for molding, and how there will attach to each other and the Fiero car frame. Hopefully you can follow my process with my pictures.
Here I'm filling in the area with core board the tape holds it in position while I bondo from behind
Once its all set I put a scim of bondo over it to flatten the piece ,I then put a layer of fibreglass to seal it. This will be a molded piece in the part.
I also cut away a lot of the front spoiler getting it to what it really needs to look like and how it will attach to the fenders
doing a similar fill as I did on the fenders with core board on the end caps
This shows the underside of the fenders and spoiler with the 2" lip that will be in the final part.
And this is the finished look
Thanks for looking. Wayne
[This message has been edited by dobie1 (edited 01-23-2020).]
I was back at it again today moving onto the back end to do a mod for the new exhaust I want to install to quiet the 3800 down. I picked up a high performance BMW stainless steel muffler that I'm going to modify to fit my application.
I had to cut away some more of the trunk to make room for the muffler , I got to use my plasma cutter I got last year sure cuts like butter.
There is a difference between what I had originally built and the exit of the new exhaust so I needed to modify the rear valance to accommodate the narrower exhaust.
I'll finish it up tomorrow, I'm hoping that once the muffler is installed I will design a diffuser along the back to totally hide the muffler and engine cradle.
I finished up the modification to the lower rear valance , I also made a deeper cut for the exhaust tips after taking some further measurements. I still need to come up with a lower diffuser design , It will come to me just taking bit longer than normal.
Anyone have any ideas??
I never posted to a previous modification I made to the bumper area. I found the recess to be too deep almost 5"s making molding much more problematic to release. I cut the area out and moved it forward 3 "s and reattached it, I rounded out all the seams to make mold release easier. Its all hidden behind the the bumpers but it's just one more area completed.
Excitement builds !!! I'm at last onto the last part of the car finishing the rear quarters, the Gills I think may take a bit of work to finish but it's probably one of the most iconic designs built into the car so needs to be done right.
Thanks for looking. Wayne
[This message has been edited by dobie1 (edited 01-29-2020).]
The build is moving along even with the weather and temps doing their best to slow everything to a crawl. I've been putting a lot of time into the side Gills , I found that I had made a mistake in my design. After some research I have now corrected both sides to match the OEM 288. I also have closed off the openings now to allow for building the molds. I also cleaned up the rear spoiler tradition from the engine compartment to the beginning of the spoiler. I have probably a weeks worth of finish sanding and I'll spray the entire car with epoxy sealer primer and then a heavy coat of slick sand to do final sand to 600 grit preparing for paint. enjoy
[This message has been edited by dobie1 (edited 02-05-2020).]
I've been busy finishing up all the final details to the body before I spray the final finish before paint. I've closed off all the scoops ,and finished all the wheel lips. The final detail is the front fender turn signal locations , I elected to cut them out and re-attached them in a flat plane to the car, due to the coke bottel fenders I felt they would look wrong. The filler is just for rounding the lip for the molding process , I'll do bit more sanding the area around the edges to make it a bit cleaner. I also cut out the fender badge locations, on the OEM car they badges are recessed into the fender . I'll reattach them similarly the same as the turn signals using a 3/16" spacer held in place and bonded from behind, then finish with some light filler around the perimeter. I'll post some pics of the finished areas.
[This message has been edited by dobie1 (edited 02-12-2020).]