Ferrari 288GTO build by dobie1
Started on: 08-31-2014 11:18 PM
Replies: 403 (17026 views)
Last post by: RCR on 10-18-2020 12:20 PM
dobie1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2020 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Click Here to Email dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well the first of eleven parts to the rear mold is basically finished (I still have to laminate the reenforcement onto the mold). It went pretty good after attaching the flange to the rear I put 4 coats of wax on then a heavy layer of PVA this is a fairly detailed complex piece so do not want anything to stick!!
After the PVA dried I thought I would try something Sage does using two differant color gelcoats the first coat orange then after it tacked up a second coat using white . This will be like a witness coating as I sand and polish between body panels pulls letting me know when I'm into the final layer of gelcoat. Then laying the first layer of in my case 1 Oz. fiberglass mat. this is probably the most important layer to ensure it is fully attached with resin as anywhere it isn't will become a void under the gelcoat and will need to be repaired prior to making a part. I calculate if everything goes with out a hitch I should be finished the mold for the rear in a month.

thanks for stopping by
stay safe
Wayne

[This message has been edited by dobie1 (edited 10-09-2020).]

IP: Logged
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 196
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2020 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTClick Here to Email Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I LOVE IT.
If I haven't said it before, one of my favorite Ferraris is the 288.
I wish I could build an exact clone with a modern more powerful drive train. Even better is a kit that was added to the original 288 that flares the wheel wells out 3" each side.
Chop the Fiero roof 1.5" and install a curved rear window..ohhhh yah, money well spent.
Never mind me, I am just daydreaming.....

Keep up the good work. This is some high class stuff.
dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2020 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Click Here to Email dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

I LOVE IT.
If I haven't said it before, one of my favorite Ferraris is the 288.
I wish I could build an exact clone with a modern more powerful drive train. Even better is a kit that was added to the original 288 that flares the wheel wells out 3" each side.
Chop the Fiero roof 1.5" and install a curved rear window..ohhhh yah, money well spent.
Never mind me, I am just daydreaming.....

Keep up the good work. This is some high class stuff.

Thanks for the comments Rick ,I'd love to see a fellow hobbiest build one. I've thought about doing a second build and doing a longitudinal engine install something along the lines of Bloozeberry's 355 build.

I do have a bit of a update , things are moving along fairly well .I completed the rear two piece mold and am now onto the first of the side molds after some input from Don I added an additional flange along the fender to help facilitate a easier pull with the rear side vents.

first picture of the finished rear mold

The next are with the final flanging installed and waxed and PVA on

Gelcoat was applied and this is with the first layer of fibreglass matt laid.

Stay safe everyone
Wayne

[This message has been edited by dobie1 (edited 10-18-2020).]

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2020 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRClick Here to Email RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks amazing, Wayne.

Take care

Bob
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave