The ClayTonto Fiero Build by Archie
Started on: 02-17-2009 01:19 PM
Replies: 355 (48406 views)
Last post by: exoticse on 07-26-2018 10:13 PM
ClayTonto

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2009 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr Ferrari:
You can also get them from Pisa..

My main cluster (Tach, speedo, water temp, and fuel) was built by a guy who Marty at PISA referred me to. It is not their generic gauge set-up because of the inclusion of the Cyberdyne gauges, but it is very similar.

Originally posted by normsf:
Hello everybody did a great job. Youre car is a super car. Thanks Norm

Thanks, Norm, for the sleek front end and the impressive two-day installation.
IP: Logged
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2009 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anything new to report?
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2009 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:
Anything new to report?

Nothing exciting. I have been out of town for a while and my Toshiba died. Dean (whodeanie) and I are planning on doing a few intake mods and other misc. tweaks in the next week or so. Then it's off to the dyno for post-op tuning. I did get a shiny new aluminum oil pan.

------------------
87 GT Tilt Clip-Widebody-RamAir-Fastback-GlassHatch Powered by SBC 383 6-speed w/ NOS
Build Thread

"Roads?...Where we're going, we don't need roads." - Emmett "Doc" Brown

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2009 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting pan. Think you will have any clearece issues? I always worry about a pan that wont dent aluminum will crack and leak all of the oil out if struck hard enough.
They do look good.
IwannaIRM

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2009 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ClayTonto:

I have been holding onto these rare finds for a couple months now. (Got the last two from a Texas distributor) After getting the car home I couldn't wait to get them in.

Can you email or pm me the distributor? I need to change my glass out as well and can't seem to find a good shop or distributor (not that I have looked too hard ).
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2009 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:
Interesting pan. Think you will have any clearece issues? I always worry about a pan that wont dent aluminum will crack and leak all of the oil out if struck hard enough.
They do look good.

Shouldn't be a problem. My oil pan now sits about 2-3 inches higher than the front cross brace on the cradle.

I believe the new pan is lightyears better than the black painted steel unit. Also in the works is a direct replacement sumped aluminum fuel tank (cell) that better utilizes the space available for a higher capacity.

Originally posted by IwannaIRM:
Can you email or pm me the distributor? I need to change my glass out as well and can't seem to find a good shop or distributor (not that I have looked too hard ).

PM Sent
edhering

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2009 04:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edheringClick Here to visit edhering's HomePageSend a Private Message to edheringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:
Yes, the hatch is available as a kit.

The price is $675.00 & includes the upper hinge bracket. (you'll have top modify the Fiero decklid hinge to work with it)

It is steel reinforced in several places. The kit doesn't include the 350Z rear window because you can get them locally cheaper than we can ship you one.

Note that the hatch doesn't include the rear spoiler that we installed on this car. You can see pics of the hatch without the spoiler on this same car back on page #3.

Archie

WOW: $675 sounds like a STEAL to me.

I was ready for the price of the thing to be much higher than that.

It's a shame I don't have a fastback.

Ed
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2009 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok Clay was able to get the car over this weekend so I could do some finish work on it for him
I have a lot of little things to get done on it so for Clay I will post it all here.
D.

first off I got the markers swaped out.

then it was on to the shift light, Clay found a spot where it would fit. and I think it looks great

then it was on to the E dead.

while the E dead was drying I worked on the headlight inside covers to install them

I was able to get a few other little things done as well I got the slider track off the drivers side seat and cleaned it up and re painted it.
and the last thing I did last night was getting started on the drivers side carpet.

Clay, PM sent.

[This message has been edited by whodeanie (edited 07-20-2009).]

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2009 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are those side marker lights clear?

I'd like to have clear side marker lights for my car...

------------------

Check out my build!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2009 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Clay,

What kind of reactions are you getting from people when you take the car out ?
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2009 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Are those side marker lights clear?

I'd like to have clear side marker lights for my car...

they are clear and they came from Norms fiberglass
PFF
System Bot
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2009 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
Clay,

What kind of reactions are you getting from people when you take the car out ?

Dean and I went to a cruise in over the weekend. Most people (at least car people) know it's a Fiero, but there are a few who say "Nice car...what exactly is it?". We heard one guy say "Hey, this guy put a Chevy V8 in his Porsche" For some reason people like to touch it and flat black paint does not hide finger prints.
Dean brought his Harley and parked it next to my car. I think they compliment each other.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

BTW
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2009 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Clay here is an update for you. I was able to work on the car last night for a little while.
I got the shift light done and wired in and it wroks great I was also able to get the passanger inside of the car removed to do the E dead, I got the first coat on and then ran out so I will have to order more to get it done. so with that I un packed the sway bars and mocked them up to make sure I have all the parts and I am missing a few small parts but I also have lots of extra stuff. I am not sure what I will need yet because of the HT setup on the car but no big deal.

the shift light comes on when you start the car so you can see it on. if you look at the shift light in both pic's you can see the lights in it are differant. when you first turn it on it has a rotating light pattern then the whole thing lights up . that thing is bright!

[This message has been edited by whodeanie (edited 07-23-2009).]

ccfiero350

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2009 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you make those head lamp back covers?

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock
white 88 notchie, 4 banger

whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2009 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ccfiero350:

Did you make those head lamp back covers?

No, they came from Norm I just installed them on the car for Clay.
D.

Clay, I have more E dead on the way
D.

[This message has been edited by whodeanie (edited 07-24-2009).]

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2009 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ClayTonto:

Dean and I went to a cruise in over the weekend.

BTW

Cruise in? Where was that one? I thought Dean had a white Harley...oh, that was all of the Bondo dust.

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 07-27-2009).]

IVANNATINKLE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2009 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
will that back bumper fit a stock fiero??
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IVANNATINKLE:

will that back bumper fit a stock fiero??

No it will not fit I made that as a one off for my car.

Carnut, LOL bondo dust white Harley I cleaned it up to ride it

Ok on to progress report.......
I was able to work on Clays car monday. I got the HHP swaybars installed with the HT setup he has it required some Tweaking to make it all work.
the front end links needed to be cut to clear the knuckle because of the rear bearing setup. the rear was not bad to install, drill a few holes and mount.
I also had to install some grease fittings in the front and lube everything.
once that was done I removed the seat tracks cleaned them up and re painted them.
then on to the new intake, Clay wanted it port matched so that is where I am with it I got one side done last night and I will try to get the other side done tonight.
here are some pic's.
D.

this is the bar before cutting

and after

port matching in progress

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whodeanie:

and after

Question; Do you think this will be case with all suspesnions using this sway bar set-up? I plan on using a the Corvette 13" rotor set-up and was just wondering.

Thank you.

Madcurl
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Port job is looking good, Dean. (It badly needed it)

Originally posted by madcurl:
Question; Do you think this will be case with all suspesnions using this sway bar set-up? I plan on using a the Corvette 13" rotor set-up and was just wondering.
Thank you.
Madcurl

This mod is because I am using HTMotorsports' Slalom kit with HHP bars. They bolt on with no mods to a stock set-up or at least stock spindles. I am the first to use this combination and could have Paul make me some more arms if I wanted to keep the three hole adjustability, but I don't think I'll need it since I have five points of adjustment in the back to balance it.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curly,
the only reason I had to make the mod was because the HT spindale on clays car have what Erik calls a coffie can on the back side (a big metal hoop around the spindal) and Clay is right his is the first one with this setup. acording to the sheet from HHP the setings I have the bars set to it will work just fine. with Clay's car having the coilovers on all 4 corners it was not bad without the swaybars so now it will be even better
other than the one mod it was per the instructions that Paul sent me from HHP.
I sent Paul (HHP) an email telling him what I had to do to fit them but I have not heard back from him yet.

Clay, as of today I have not gotten anything you are sending to me for the car but it is still early.
I should have the e-dead tomarrow so I can finish up the inside of the car.
D.
PFF
System Bot
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2009 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
today I got the Amp and speakers you ordered once I get the e-dead and finish that up I will get the rest of it installed
D.

here is the pic of the parts Clay sent me, just need the e dead I guess I will have to call them if I don't get it today
D.

[This message has been edited by whodeanie (edited 07-30-2009).]

whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The e-dead got here today
now I can get that done and wire up the stereo and reinstall the interior.
D.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2009 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
last night I was able to get the e dead painted in to finish the inside of the car. as well as the doors.
now I just need to let it dry so I can reinstall the interior in the car. then it is on to a few body fixes and a little bit of motor work.
D.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2009 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

whodeanie

3819 posts
Member since Jan 2008
tonight I worked on the car a bit more I went to the metal shop and found a few things that will work for the car.
first off the tilt front has a hood spring under it and it was just pushing on the fiberglass hood so it made a dimple so tonight I used a piece of Alu. and glassed on a plate for the spring to push on instead of the glass. also on the hood it has 2 pins one on eather side to keep it in place while closed and the hood just had a hole drilled on it for the pins to go into and with the normal movement of the car it was making the holes biger so I made steal sleves for them to fit into and mounted them in to the hood with pop rivets and fiberglass with a metal plate on the back of the lip of the hood.
I was also able to get the carpet in the car. before I can finish it up I will need to mount the Amp. and run some wires for the sound system.
I should be able to finish the inside and front up this weekend and move on to the motor. I will get some pic's this weekend and post them on monday.
D.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2009 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
time for an update
Here are some pics of what I am working on at the moment.
D.

I just got the new motor for the cutout that was broken

and a few pic's of the new hood pin holes I made

I also glassed in a piece of Alu. in the hood for the spring to push on so it would not dimple the fiberglass anymore

and A pic for Clay of his monster amp that I am installing
last night I was able to get the dash back together and the new carpet fitted. I have not installed it all the way because I need to wire up the sound system first.
once that is done I will have the inside done then the work I need to do on the engine will be next.
(the Amp. is not installed yet it is just setting there for mock up)

ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2009 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...and A pic for Clay of his monster amp that I am installing

After seeing this, I decided the fuzz needs to be covered.
BTW...Here is a monster:

Mr.Mikes stuff on it's way tomorrow.
Dean, should have it by Friday.

[This message has been edited by ClayTonto (edited 08-04-2009).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post08-04-2009 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As always, . The car is just awesome. I am noticing that a bit of audio got mixed into the equation. I don't know if you are doing any type of sub installation, but I would highly reccomend looking into Memphis Audio. I recently bought one of their 10" shallow mount subs. A bit pricey, but the sound is just fantastic. The sub itself is only 2 5/8" deep. And needs only .6cu' of airspace in an enclosed box. I put it behind the passenger seat, and only lost one click of back and forth movement on the seat. My amps are mounted on the driver side. Just a suggestion. But, by the way that you are progressing with your Fiero......you really don't need any suggestions.

Oh yeah, you are going to love those Infinity Kappa's. I have those also, and they are very clear. I am running them through an older model Rockford Fosgate. Just really easy to tune it to those speakers.

Tony
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2009 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might I suggest removing the ECM... on a carbed manual tranny car, it does nothing but add weight and take up space that could be used for something else.
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2009 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Tony, I do have a finished subbox and I just noticed there aren't any pics on the thread of it. Maybe Dean could post some pics when he gets the interior back together.
The Kicker amp is their 5-channel and will be powering four of the Infinty 4x6's and one 8" Kicker SoloBaric L7. Controlled by a Jensen VM9512 w/ SatNav and a 7-band equalizer tuned for SQ.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2009 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok as of late I have gotten a lot of work done on the car but most of it is not pic worthy.
the carpet is in and the front is done as well as the new intake on the motor. last night Clay called me and wanted me to E-dead the inside of the sub box and I just enough to get it done.
I did the inside and the back with 3 coats.
today I drove the car in to my shop so I can get it on the lift later today to change the oil pan and see what I can do with the exhaust cutout to get it up higher so it does not bottom out and tear it up again.
if I am not to dirty to hold the camera I will try to get some pic's today.
I also talked to Mr. Mikes last night and his seat covers are on the way I should have them monday.
still a lot of inside work to go.
D.

Clay, here are the pic's you wanted of the speeker turned the other way. IMO it sticks way to far out but that is me

Also on another note the car with the sway bars installed has no body roll or anymore squeeks
I did not test it enen though the teen in the Honda next to me wanted to, I just laughed at him
D.

[This message has been edited by whodeanie (edited 08-07-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2009 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here you go!

ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2009 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dean,
what are the specs on the rear wheels, ie width and offset. are the spacers really 2.75 inches long?
thanks
al
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2009 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ace5514:

dean,
what are the specs on the rear wheels, ie width and offset. are the spacers really 2.75 inches long?
thanks
al

I am not sure on the wheels and spacers but I am sure Clay will chime in
D.

Also just got a box from Mr Mike

[This message has been edited by whodeanie (edited 08-10-2009).]

ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2009 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am not sure on the wheels and spacers but I am sure Clay will chime in
D.

Also just got a box from Mr Mike

ace, There are no wheel "spacers" on the car. I am using billet hub adapters designed for drag cars. They do add 2.75" to the offset. And these are only to drive around on while waiting for my unicorn wheels. The current wheels are 17x7.5 35mm offset ( too small )

Dean,

[This message has been edited by ClayTonto (edited 08-10-2009).]

ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2009 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks clay,
sorry about the spacer reference, i took the easy road in the description of them. i am just trying to figure out the offset and width of my wheels for when i finish my car. thanks for the info! keep up the good work on that ride!!
al
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2009 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So last night I was able to get a factory squirter from Nissan for the back glass of the car and what I did was run the NOS perge line to it.
now when you perge the NOS 2 streams will come out over the back glass

I was also able to get started on the Mr Mikes covers for a few last night I should have both seats done today. I will get some pic's and post them.
D.

whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2009 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
another update on the car, last night I worked on the seats installing Mr Mikes covers as well as recovering the back wall cover.
D.

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2009 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work. I like the shop too!
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2009 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was able to get the car done in time for the Canton car show, so I drove it to the show where Clay was able to take it home from there.
D.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock