Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Pantera parts ! (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 19 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Pantera parts ! by opm2000
Started on: 07-07-2004 11:05 PM
Replies: 741 (85230 views)
Last post by: Sage on 09-18-2016 09:50 AM
opm2000

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2004 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took the week after Wheatstock off for a working vacation. I put the Pantero body molds thru a reconditioning process since they had been in storage for such a long time. Everything got washed several times, surfaced with 1200 grit, polished with 1500 grit, and buffed with machine glaze.

I then tried a layup in the biggest and most detailed mold. The layup consisted of a veil cloth, one layer of 3/4 oz. mat, and three more layers of 2 oz. mat. I used an iso type resin which is more heat, distortion, and weather resistant than the ortho type which most parts are commonly made of. This yielded a nice stout thickness of 6 3/4 oz..

After the layup was finished, I let it set in the mold for three days. Finally this evening I removed the part. It turned out pretty well.

This shot shows how well the detailing of the rear came out. Nice crisp edges. BTW, the white lines are clay that was used to putty the parting lines of the mold. End result is almost no parting lines on the produced part.

That's Blackram's '88 donor car in the background. It will become the first Pantera we produce from the molds, and it's construction will be the basis for the assembly manual.

David Breeze

------------------

Pantera Rebody Kits

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2004 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookin good Dave, definitely keep up the good work ....
donk316

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
User Banned

Report this Post07-07-2004 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your building Pantera Bodies for Fieros?!? AWESOME! I might do a rebody down the line after all.

------------------
Calgary - August 1, 2004 Fiero Fiesta
1984 Indy Fiero 3.4/3100 Hybrid NA and...
*ALL THROTTLE AND NO BOTTLE*
http://www.gmpcm.com/ Killer ECM/ PCM tuning software and information

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave,
Congrats on the way this part came out, I know there's a lot of hard work that went into it. Can't wait to start assembly!!

Ron
Blackrams

FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh god, I am so confused. I love the Pantera and the Fiero GT notchback.
Ok, who can paste a Norm's fiberglass front end with a Pantera tail. I have chills.
opm2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donk316:

Your building Pantera Bodies for Fieros?!? AWESOME! I might do a rebody down the line after all.

Yes, at least that is the plan. I'm resurfacing & polishing the molds and then verifying that they will produce a good true part. At the same time I'm able to verify the materials required, to verify the price.

The first set of body panels will be assembled onto Blackram's '88 coupe, and the documentation of that build will become the assembly manual. This will be on a cd with step by step instructions & photos.

Right now I'm not actually taking orders or deposits, although four people are on the list to recieve a kit, once we get to that point. I've estimated that the body panels will sell for $4,000 and so far the materials estimate has been right on.

The Pantera assembles onto a stock Fiero with no stretching or cutting ( except for a 6" square panel to allow moving the headlight buckets forward by 6"). It self aligns onto stock mounting points. It can be configured with either a tilt rear-clip or you can have the stock Pantera engine lid if you prefer.

I have the mold for the GT5 front air dam/wing, and I'm building the molds for the GT5 fender flares & rear delta wing.

David Breeze

------------------

Pantera Rebody Kits

2M4 Dale

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2M4 DaleSend a Private Message to 2M4 DaleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm closely watching your progress with this Dave as I am very interested !!!

------------------

VP, Classic Fiero Owners Group - International
www.cfogi.org

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice fiberglass work! I wish I had your skills, that would save me a lot of time! Good to see this kit produced.
chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookin' good Dave! I might have to come by and check that pantera out in person!

Rob D.

------------------

The Dirty Rat
Chopped, dropped and just plain NASTY! Choptop Targa #1
383 Stroker MPFI with N2O
1" Drop
3" Chop
11" Brakes
19" Motegi Roja's wrapped in BFGoodrich Gforce T/A KDW-2 rubber
RCC Coilover Suspension
Updated Jan 21 '04 www.dirtyratracing.org

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rob, My suggestion would be that we have the next Bluegrass Fiero Gathering at Dave's place and then go on up to the car show just north of Cincinnatti. We could meet there in the morning and drive up to the show. Roger Garrison has invited us to attend, it should be a hoot.

------------------
Ron

opm2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 06:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chester, you know anytime is good. Actually Ron had a good idea there. Maybe he can contact the group and set it up. I know both my wife and daughter plan to drive the GT on that trip, and I'm bringing the Pantera. It should be fun to meet Roger's group :>

David Breeze

------------------

Pantera Rebody Kits

PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rob,
You Out There?????

Ron

Flyguyeddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyguyeddySend a Private Message to FlyguyeddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lets get that norm's fiberglass front end with this one photoshopped!
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The question is, are you wanting the flip/hinged nose or you like Norm's front end on a Pantero Rear Clip? The current Pantero has a rear clip that flips up, we've talked about doing the front in a similar manner. The nice thing about this kit, anything is possible.

Ron
aka: Blackrams

FieroPilot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroPilotSend a Private Message to FieroPilotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This may be a dumb question, but are we talking about a "Detomaso Pantera" rebody?

chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Rob,
You Out There?????

Ron

Hey guys...thats fine. We will more then likely attend but wil be in the Blazer.

Rob D.

------------------

The Dirty Rat
Chopped, dropped and just plain NASTY! Choptop Targa #1
383 Stroker MPFI with N2O
1" Drop
3" Chop
11" Brakes
19" Motegi Roja's wrapped in BFGoodrich Gforce T/A KDW-2 rubber
RCC Coilover Suspension
Updated Jan 21 '04 www.dirtyratracing.org

2M4 Dale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2M4 DaleSend a Private Message to 2M4 DaleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroPilot:

This may be a dumb question, but are we talking about a "Detomaso Pantera" rebody?

That's right !!!!!

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I realize that everyone has a favorite body style, but for me, the Pantero comes through on virturally every aspect.

Ron

STRATOHACKER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for STRATOHACKERSend a Private Message to STRATOHACKEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wil be watching this closley as I have wanted a antera sine I was in junior high (a very long time ago) The prospect of building one the way I want it is very exciting.
This may be a re-body that I would actually want to do.
Nice work so far!!!

------------------

85 GT 4-speed
3.4 pushrod, 390 Holley carb, Edlebrock intake, MSD 6A ignition. 04 Gran Prix exhaust tips, Ported manifolds and lots more to go.
Richey

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The GT5 with front and rear flip ups is definitely the way to go . Hope this works out ...
DRA

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Ron, I'll gladly pay you double what you paid me to get that 88 back from you .............. after your finished with it! LOL

Can't wait to see the finished car.

PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DRA,
Does the phrase "Fat Chance" mean anything to you? I'm assuming you're talking about after the re-body and re-power is completed? Still trying to decide what motor/tranny is going in, considering another 4.9 or 3800 SC II. If you have a preference, you need to speak up now! You'll probably want it delivered also? Refer back to the first sentence, Please.

Ron

------------------
Ron

DRA

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2004 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DRA,
Does the phrase "Fat Chance" mean anything to you? I'm assuming you're talking about after the re-body and re-power is completed? Still trying to decide what motor/tranny is going in, considering another 4.9 or 3800 SC II. If you have a preference, you need to speak up now! You'll probably want it delivered also? Refer back to the first sentence, Please.

Ron

Ron, prefer the 3800SC with the original 5spd but would settle for the 4.9. Delivery? Nah, I'd be quite happy to drive it back to GA. How about 20 X the original purchase price on the 88, am I getting warmer? LOL

Keep us posted on the progress!

2M4 Dale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2004 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2M4 DaleSend a Private Message to 2M4 DaleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm saving my dough and hope to place an order for one of these beauties this fall !!!!!

Can't wait !!!

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2004 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DRA,
Just so that I understand, you would like the Pantero Body installed and I presume painted with a 3800 SC conversion for 20 times what I paid you for the car orginally. Let me think...............................................................................................................................................................
.................................................................................................................................................................................... ............................................................................................................................>

Does the phrase "FAT CHANCE" mean anything to ya?

But I am seriously considering a 3800 SC Swap with the orginal tranny. If nothing else, I think it will be a great highway car.

------------------
Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 07-16-2004).]

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2004 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates, pictures?
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2004 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not yet, Please remember, the Pantero Project is pretty much a week end project. Dave and I both work full time and honestly Dave is doing all of the work, I'm more of a cheerleader till the glass work is done then I'll do the rebody work. Be assured, when there is something to see, it will get posted promptly.

------------------
Ron

opm2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2004 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There has been some progress. I've cleaned and rewaxed the rear clip mold, as has to be done after producing a part. The mold is in 4 big pieces, now ready to be reassembled for the next layup. I used the designers recomendation for a layup schedule on this first part, and in general I think it worked out just fine. I did become very familiar with the quirks and pecularities of the mold during the layup, and that's just what I wanted. I believe I can see a few areas that I might want to throw a little extra glass into during future layups. Nothing major, just a little built in reinforcement in hinge or support areas.

I can honestly say that the only problem I had was with my gelcoat gun: it didn't want to lay the gelcoat on as wet as I would have liked. However, the gelcoat worked ok. I'm doing some practice shooting to try & solve that snag. The layup went fine. The first layer of cloth took forever, but each of the following layers went on progressively faster and easier...learnign curve thing.

And I've cleaned, polished, buffed and waxed the door skins, and the front trunk lid & liner. These get one final coat of wax, and they are ready for a layup. The nose clip is next, and if all goes well, I'll address it on Sunday.

I'm trying to gear up for a layup next weekend, of at least the door skins & trunk lid & liner. We'll see if the nose clip gets in there or not as things develop.

I'll post a few pics of the molds tomorrow evening....Bluegrass Fieros has a run up to a show in the Cincinnatti area tomorrow morning.

David Breeze

------------------

Pantera Rebody Kits

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2004 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow!!! We did a test fit of the rear clip today. I got so excited, I had to go home and change my shorts. Man, this is looking good.
Sorry, didn't take any pictures. Will try to next weekend.

------------------
Ron

2M4 Dale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2004 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2M4 DaleSend a Private Message to 2M4 DaleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK .... now you're teasing us !!!!!
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2004 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dale,
I have never, I repeat, NEVER been accused of being a tease. At least not in this arena.

------------------
Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 07-18-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
2M4 Dale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2004 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2M4 DaleSend a Private Message to 2M4 DaleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LMAO
NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2004 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
can we see pics of the molding process? I love this pantera-fiero kit....
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2004 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hopefully we'll be able to post some pics later this week-end. No promises though.

------------------
Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 07-20-2004).]

opm2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2004 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok, this is what it's all about. The mold surface has to be in whats called a Class A1 Surface condition. To get there, each panel is evaluated for repairs, if needed, and surface condition. These molds mostly needed only washing, and then a buffing with 1500 grit polish and then a buffing with machine glaze. Then 5 coats of parting wax are applied, with an hour between coats. Talk about elbow grease.

The previous panel and these three others make up most of the rear clip. The orange mold has nothing to do with the Pantera. When the time comes, the panels get bolted together to make a bigger one piece mold.

And this is a one piece mold, for a door skin.

Once the panels are ready, We'll cut the cloth and get things ready. More as it happens.

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2004 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For those that have asked, Pics are coming.

------------------
Ron

NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2004 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For those that have asked, Pics are coming.

I'm excited for you and the project...
Keep on keepin-on...

opm2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2004 06:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The release system consists of the layers of wax, two wet coats of PVA, seen here, and the gelcoat, seen below.

For gelcoat, I'm using a polyester sanding primer. While these coats are drying, patterns are made and the cloth is cut.

The first layer of cloth is a 3/4oz. mat. This forms a protective skin between the gelcoat and the remainder of the layup schedule.

In some detailed areas, a thinner veil cloth is applied first. In some areas a slurry of thickened resin is used as a putty to ensure the cloth sticks to a tight edge or corner. The rest of the process is to apply a total of 6oz. of mat, in 2oz. layers. Each layer is applied, allowed to go thru the heat generating part of the cure cycle, and the next layer is applied.

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2004 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep us posted, this is interesting.
opm2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2004 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, we're all finished with the layup. So the shop is cleaned up and we wait for three full days. The really fun part is pulling a fabricated part out of the mold. Nice to see the results "being born".

In the middle of this layup, Blackrams came over and we took a break to remount his rear clip.

As you can see, the clip fits the stock Fiero chassis easily.

And even though this is a dry fit, the roofline aligns in what looks like just the right spot.

And the Fiero doors even close ok.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 19 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock