Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Madcurl's Arch Rival !! (Page 69)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Madcurl's Arch Rival !! by exoticse
Started on: 04-07-2005 02:39 AM
Replies: 3142 (255979 views)
Last post by: exoticse on 12-03-2016 10:12 PM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Victory Red.

Maybe consider black for the headlights? You want those things to pop more, use contrast of colours

IP: Logged
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Maybe consider black for the headlights? You want those things to pop more, use contrast of colours

Actually, I have a C6 black headlight (back up). However, the carbon fiber ones on Ebay are way sweeter. IMO it might be best to take them apart and spray on the fake coating, but I'll have to see once the car is put back together. Trendzs and I at first was going to paint the A-pillars (the area around the sun roof) black and the F360 mirrors. As of now the car is really, really bright and I was thinking of going black inteior to tone it down a bit. That said, looking at #013 I think leaving the car "all red" might be okay for now.

Since I have the same black HRE as Leroy I think the shoes will tone it down a bit.

I just called Trends and they're putting the bumper back on the car. More pics coming soon.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 05-19-2012).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
360 Antlers.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2012 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The shop is letting the parts dry in the sun and are wet sanding the rear clip. I didn't have enough time to sneak a peak at the 370Z hatch.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2012 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Actually, I have a C6 black headlight (back up). However, the carbon fiber ones on Ebay are way sweeter. IMO it might be best to take them apart and spray on the fake coating, but I'll have to see once the car is put back together. Trendzs and I at first was going to paint the A-pillars (the area around the sun roof) black and the F360 mirrors. As of now the car is really, really bright and I was thinking of going black inteior to tone it down a bit. That said, looking at #013 I think leaving the car "all red" might be okay for now.

Since I have the same black HRE as Leroy I think the shoes will tone it down a bit.

I just called Trends and they're putting the bumper back on the car. More pics coming soon.

I vote for the silver wheels.

Toning down a bright red is like ordering a diet coke with your big mac.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2012 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
#020 will obviously will sport either wheel, but silver wheels isn't going to happen.

Wet sanding the body prior to buff and polish.

I touched the surface and it was smooth.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 05-23-2012).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2012 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

#020 will obviously will sport either wheel, but silver wheels isn't going to happen.

When i say silver, i mean these, the ones already on there.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2012 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If I have time today I'll stop by and see if the shop has started on the 370Z deck lid. I talked it over with the shop regarding the C6 flipper and it wasn't painted I changed a few items. The bottom line. If the customer is paying-give him what he wants. They were all cool with my tweaks and gave me no issues.
aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2012 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
:droool:

So cool to finally see this thing painted! Glad you went with the red over the black. Very sharp.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2012 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stopped by the shop today. After wet sanding the body they sprayed another coat of clear. Here are a few pics that demonstrate the slight curves of the MadArch kit.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2012 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Next on the list:

The green tape is back!

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2012 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I called the shop last Friday and there was nothing to report. They said they'd send me a few pics on the 350Z deck lid once it's painted. I hope to come by on Tuesday to check it since the shop is working partly through the holiday. Here are a few left over pics from this week.

ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2012 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
one word....
AWSOME!!!!!!!!
can't wait to see it complete.
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2012 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's kinda like watching 2 build threads at this point. I used to fix classic Mustangs years ago and keep seeing various pieces in the background of your progress shots...but that'll end when the paint is done. Looking good though!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2012 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bump for the new pics !
GODFATHER

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2012 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2012 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rear hatch is painted, all that is left now is the nose !
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2012 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been busy with family members flying in from out of state, so I had little or no time for #020. I took these picks last week and since then the Audi driving light recessed pocket has been made and the car panels are being buffed.

Originally a 5x112 and changed to a 5x114.3 using steel studs. (other pattern is 5x100). They re-drilled the openings a bit since wobble bolts were too big. This was the better option for me verse hub adapters and I didn't need to push the wheel out away from the body on the Eclipse. The Fiero was just fine as-is (unless you get the MadArch kit).

A shop in Anaheim CA did a great job.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 06-15-2012).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2012 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Strut towers painted and partly the engine bay. Most if not all won't be visible, but since we're there-why not.

pics from Trends.

They're saying that #020 should be completed by next week end, but I think it will take 2-more weeks.

Okay, I didn't take the last three picks for they were sent to me via cell phone. Anyway, the C6 Flipper is upside down and I flipped the pic, but as you can tell there's a recessed pocket being made for the Audi Driving lamps using fiberglass. The Audi's will not be flushed, but recessed for you can't have the light flush because if it's shape (but most already knew this).

My guess it will take another week to complete the fiberglass and another for paint. I hope to take my own pics on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 06-16-2012).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2012 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I stopped by the shop today. There was a few area over looked thus my visit was productive.

As you can see that the inside area of the sail window would be-the area isn't smooth but has a "rough" color coat with clear. That area needed to be smooth just like the outside.

Correcting the problem.

They informed that the exterior is the 1st phase of polishing, so there's more to go, but it's looking great! Joe told me that the color black should be on the next car for the curves will show.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2012 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Now onto the Audi driving lamps. I gave Joe the details of how I wanted the the lights mounting using a recessed pockets. There was plenty of body kits laying around, so they grafted selective parts onto the area needed on the nose. These are the first stages, but as you can see there's a shelf or pockets being formed. Granted, the area needed to be opened up a bit, but I knew this for I tested this theory for the last three years. I'm not the type of person who can sleep at night knowing the design could be better if the necessary steps are taken. Over all I think these little details makes a big difference in the look of the nose and besides everything is fiberglass-so what's the big deal.

These pics have been "flipped" for your viewing enjoyment.

Donor parts;

The blue area is actually the Audi Driving Lamp.

The "blue" area is actually the Audi lamps.

Once again, all of the pics are "rough" but you get the general idea.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 06-23-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2012 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now for backside pics.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2012 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003

We're debating if the front compartment should be painted black or red. Since part of the area will sport the chrome the color red might be okay.

Removing part of the overlapping near the windshield.

Borrowed some Fiero wheels.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing much to talk about except they will start putting the car back together.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 06-20-2012).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was expecting the inside to be painted by now, but as you can see only the area has been smooth out a bit. The rockers, doors, and rear bumper have been buffed out and ready to go.

I'll check back next week or so. maybe by then parts will be mounted on the car..I hope.

Meanwhile, here's some eye candy.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2012 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm done with polishing wheels for #020. I picked up my first wheel re-tweaked by the repair shop in Anaheim, CA. I had a minor dent on the other lip while leaving IL several years ago which broke the inner fender wheel fiberglass. Although, fully polish is the prime finish you'd want, but since I have #011 that is fully polish there's no skin off my teeth.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 06-28-2012).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2012 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
I stopped by the shop today. It's been a week since I stopped by and I do see progress being made and from my own perspective we're looking at least three more weeks, but Joe says otherwise (like one week). If not I guess the week during the 4th. Either way there's no rush, but once completed the other cars will take #020 place at the shop.

I picked up a set of Corvette C5 side markers. They come in two colors, black & white. I picked the black markers, but I can always go back to stock or white.

I viewed a couple of Vetts on their sit and I think black was the better choice-maybe? Tony (exoticse) was the person who turned me onto them.

The reflectors are in now. A serious improvement over stock ones.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2012 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, here comes the ugly part of the job-fiberglass! When I arrived they had in place tape and various shapes of wood holding the pockets in place.

The good news is they did what I asked and now I'm happy.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2012 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2012 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
They painted the inside area where the sail window are mounted.

They forgot to smoke/paint the rear tail lamps and they are mounted after the rear bumper is on (not the other way around). The shop normally doesn't work on Fieros- except for mine.
Steel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you think it's going to turn out as well as you'd like? I have to admit.. the place looks sketchy doing the work.

I do like the color choice.. that looks very nice.
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steel:

Do you think it's going to turn out as well as you'd like? I have to admit.. the place looks sketchy doing the work.

I do like the color choice.. that looks very nice.
I have been doing business with all types of shops since 1999. Trends (Joe) I've known since 1999 or so and I must admit upon visiting the shop it didn't appear to be all that professional, but the cars leaving after being painted was spectacular! Simply put-the two don't connect, because the shop doesn't look like they can produce quality paint jobs, but Joe has been cranking out award winning paint jobs and some of the cars have been at SEMA. I guess it's like finding a nice dinner (or dive) that's cranking out good meals. You'd think it can be possible, but it is. Trends are that type of (dive) shop. Over the years the shops appearance has gotten better. The moronic graffiti idiots have stopped spray painting their stupid gang signs on the company’s sign out front. LOL.

Tehachapi Auto Collision (TAC) in Tehachapi upon inspection appeared to be a very organized shop with different compartments to which they worked on cars. Most if not all of the employees spoke English. The front desk had professional women answering the phones and such. The second guy in charge was nice and took all of my info down in writing and a contract was created stating exactly what type of work to be performed and time of completion. I even talked to the owner and he too appeared to be on the "up & up" and he too jump right in on the project.

At TAC I saw all types of cars being painted from classics to modern day cars. Actually, what appealed to me was how they handled fiber glassing. The bonus was they were right down the street from WCF. However, after I gave them half of what was to be completed on my car-they started slacking off. My car sat there from late Oct 2011 to late Dec 2011 with only the hood and side vents being worked on for I had a deadline to meet with CARB people in CA. I got every excuse known to mankind as to why my car wasn't being completed in a timely fashion. The shop (TAC) tried to hold my car as collateral until the balance was paid. All I can say is to be wise and make sure you have plenty of pictures should you need to call your insurance or lawyer-and to think I was going to have them paint my car! What in the world was I thinking!

As in both cases, my car was fully insured to 25k and not the stupid Blue Book Value crap, but an agreed price. Plus, I had plenty of pictures of the progress step-by-step should something go astray or missing. I must admit I was a bit Leary about having my car at TAC for I don't know them personally and I don't think the shop has good security (from what I witnessed), but is located in the better part of town. A trend on the other hand has video surveillance cameras all around the place and is located in the ghetto. That said, I don't like all of my eggs in one basket. I tried to remove everything that need not be at the shop while being painted-just in case.

So there you have it. Two shops located in different places but with a totally different business outlook. Go with the English speaking shop located in the better part of town and get raped or go to a shop located in the not so good part of town where some of the workers speak Spanish yet you'll receive the services you wanted.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Old photoshop pics from Steven;

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003

I viewed a couple of Vetts on their sit and I think black was the better choice-maybe? Tony (exoticse) was the person who turned me onto them.

http://www.gscreationsllc.c....php/products_id/416
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Curly hit the nail on the head,...like the old saying goes, don't judge a book by it's cover.

The restaurant analogy is perfect, because i can't tell you how many beautiful, swanky places to eat i have been and got crap food and service.

In the end all that matters is the product they are putting out.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today was the day for installing the side door glass and sail windows, but the intaller didn't show up at the shop. Anyway, the shop doesn't spend the time or risk in removing or installing glass. They leave that to the professionals. Last week the Mercedes with the custom paint needed a new front windshield. The glass was over at least $500-800 or more.

Anyway, back to #020. This week I should have more pics with the rear bumper, door skins, and rockers mounted. I know for a fact that the C6 flipper isn't going to be ready for at least 2-3 weeks. The shop is smoothing out the underbelly of the nose (the same as the outside) and that involves lots of sanding. Once home I need to remove old rear springs in exchange for 8" (same as Troyboy's) to clear those morbidly fat 345's in the rear. I'll be happy just seeing the car inside the garage with paint. LOL. Then it's #015's turn.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope to see you and #15 when I go to Archies for my Dyno tune
Steel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Once home I need to remove old rear springs in exchange for 8" (same as Troyboy's) to clear those morbidly fat 345's in the rear. I'll be happy just seeing the car inside the garage with paint. LOL. Then it's #015's turn.

Wow.. you guys don't screw around with your wheels/tires. Those are probably worth more than my Fiero...
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steel:

Wow.. you guys don't screw around with your wheels/tires. Those are probably worth more than my Fiero...

Wheels are like beauty pagents. You only look when the swimsuit competition starts.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The glass repairman came by today to install the chop top door glass and to reinstall the sail windows. The shop sent me these pics, so I don't know how smooth the procedure was.

I might have time to go by later on this Thursday. They said once the glass guy install the windows all of the other parts can go on.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 07-04-2012).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock