Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Madcurl's Arch Rival !! (Page 62)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Madcurl's Arch Rival !! by exoticse
Started on: 04-07-2005 02:39 AM
Replies: 3142 (255962 views)
Last post by: exoticse on 12-03-2016 10:12 PM
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2011 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since I'm waiting on Taylor ignition wires-the engine compartment is currently on hold. A few items remain, but for now thats it.

Time move onto the brake upgrade using D1S 13/14 Baer Z51 upgrade.

I started around noon today, but it took me till 21:00HR and there's a few nuts and items needed.

After reviewing D1S CD I thought I was prepared-not!

I forgot the exact numbers but you need get the distance, but you need a micrometer to make sure of the clearance. WCF no doubt has one handy.

After a few seconds of cleaning the surface now for the 1st part.

Although Joseph's former car was equip with new polys and stuff I thought we'd replace the seals (the old one were fine, but..).

Lube and ready to go.

A gentle tap.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 02-19-2011).]

IP: Logged
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2011 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
A few steps might not be viewed, so take the version I've taken with a grain of salt. I keep going back' n forth viewing the CD.

Since I using different stocks the diameter is larger so the need to open the slot.

So far-so good.

Out with the old-in with the new.

Since I'm using the stock lower Arm- the need for washers.

Caliper mounted

A minor set back. I couldn't find part of the caliper that allows the brake to slide left to right. I'll have to order another one.

The rears were okay and didn't take too much time (from a white collar worker that is).

I now need to order a emergency brake kit.

Till next week.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 02-19-2011).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Robbing from Peter to pay Paul. I needed parts from #015, hehe.

Now I'm back to business. Baer 14" rear rotors.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 02-23-2011).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The front. 13" Baer rotors. Brake set-up from D1S.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Finishing touches. A simple design to cover the joining pieces.

Tear drops.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 02-24-2011).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mo goodies for the automatic.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2011 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a call from CHRFAB on Thursday. The ignition wires should arrive on Wednesday.

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2011 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Yeah Curly, looks like your missing a pedal. Best of luck getting the re-imbursement!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few items on the list was completed today. One of which was the CHP signing off on the car (that was the most important item on the list). The officer was cool and friendly checking the vins (door and front windshield), brakes, exhaust system, mileage, and most importantly-the paper work. He asked a few questions regarding the car and what was done to the car. We quickly reviewed the car from the rear to the front. He asked, "what did the car use to look like?" I pointed to a stock GT fastback. He was impressed by the way various items where re-used in different locations, especially the door handles (he didn't know there was hidden door handles underneath the converted Ausie Rockers). I concluded by saying, "Only the sun roof and rear tail hasn't been touch." Although, he didn't have a issue with the exhaust. He did warn me about the loud exhaust and that I might get ticketed not by him (he's a car guy and use to own a Fiero) but from another officer in town. Apparently, the sound and the modification to the dual exhaust tips might attract undue attention from the officers in the area.

I also replaced the brake pads and one of the rear lower ball joints.

Chris helped with the bleeding of the brakes.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-03-2011).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I guess the system works. I had to use the emergency by-pass today. The battery went dead.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-03-2011).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There were some minor issue with the brakes. During full turn the strut housing rubbed against the caliper brake line bolt.

Therefore, Chris suggested we switch the calipers so as to clear the strut housing.

Now Cleared.

Bleeding the system again.

Now that the caliper is switched, next is to flip the caliper so that the bleeder nipple is facing upwards

Repositioning the brake line connector.

Done.

Checking for clearance issue with the car jacked-up and while the car is resting on the floor.

Wheels look better with bigger rotors.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-04-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Baer 13/4 rotors are on baby!

Next on the list is power steering.
War Hammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for War HammerSend a Private Message to War HammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mo goodies for the automatic.

Why an automatic? Are you missing your left foot?

Paul

------------------
1988 Fiero
3800SC Series 1 w/5spd Getrag
Lowering Springs
18's w/Pirellis
Corvette Dash Mod

1985 GT
1986 Notchie
1987 Notchie

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by War Hammer:

Why an automatic? Are you missing your left foot?

Paul

One word: CALIFORNIA.
War Hammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for War HammerSend a Private Message to War HammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

One word: CALIFORNIA.

That SUCKS!!!!

Paul

------------------
1988 Fiero
Lowering Springs
Konis
18's w/Pirellis
Corvette Dash Mod
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000099.html

1985 GT
1986 Notchie
1987 Notchie

JPH87

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good like the aliminum hat rotors
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Moving onto the dash. I have really good idea for the dash, but never got around to completing it. I forgot to take pictures, but you get the idea. There's a upholstery shop in town so I'll be using his services.

I forgot who made these for me, but thank you sir!

War Hammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for War HammerSend a Private Message to War HammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good. I really like the dash! Shouldn't thoses decals say Fiero though?

Paul

------------------
1988 Fiero
Lowering Springs
Konis
18's w/Pirellis
Corvette Dash Mod
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000099.html

1985 GT
1986 Notchie
1987 Notchie

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by War Hammer:

Looks good. I really like the dash! Shouldn't thoses decals say Fiero though?

Paul

Thanks for the compliment. Someone else mentioned the name "Corvette" should be replaced, but given the size of the front calipers-I don't think the name Fiero would fit-in with over-all size (rears-yes) and I would need to have the front caliper name ground down. Besides, my other Fiero has "Corvette" plasted front and rear on the calipers. Also, I've heard that the Cadillac's XLR uses "XLR" on the brake caliper. I could've opt for those, but I thought people would be asking me what XLR meant.

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

but I thought people would be asking me what XLR meant.

X-tra Large Rotors

I see the pics of the car now & thik about all the times during this whole thread where people would comment that your brakes were too small when it had stioc brakes on it.

They didn't get that the car was still under construction.

Well the car is still under construction (are they ever finished?)

I hope some of the people complaining about the brakes back then are still around today.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 03-05-2011).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

X-tra Large Rotors

I see the pics of the car now & thik about all the times during this whole thread where people would comment that your brakes were too small when it had stioc brakes on it.

They didn't get that the car was still under construction.

Well the car is still under construction (are they ever finished?)

I hope some of the people complaining about the brakes back then are still around today.

Archie

Now that's ......Pontiac Excitement!

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Especially with those tiny brakes.

Yeah, I remember that, hehe. It was fun watching the comments coming in as I stood back-cognito style. I like the build, but it wouldn't be as fun if it wasn't for people here on the forum. The collaboration is crazy. V8Archie, Norm's Fiberglass, D1S, rear sway bar from a current member (haven't installed the darn item on yet), and now WCF.

Originally posted 7/5/2005

Agreed. However, this (person) wants the D1S 14" brake kit or the light-weight ones (I forgot which ones). For starters the light-weight ones are better than what #15 has and the 14" are the newer ones from the 2005 Z06. So far from what I know, it's heading on the right track or to the right shops? From what I know it's going to Archie's shop, which is the best place for choppin.

Anyway, before somebody mention something about "emergency brakes" I just ordered a set and should arrive at WCF on Wednesday.

http://www.summitracing.com...n%7cDriver+side+rear

I plan on having WCF install a power steering unit, because I like drinking my Starbucks while driving with one hand. I want to use either one from troyboy's, RickaddyGT, or WCF. I know Rickaddy's has a faster rate, but I don't know if Troy is using the same unit. D1S has a unit, but kevin won't sell it to me (it's the last one he has). Besides, parts from that particular unit are very, very hard to find. Therefore it might be prudent to move onto a unit that is plentiful.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 01-11-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Taylor wires came in last Friday. I'll remove the coil pack from it's current location to the location behind the rear bumper. I would've had it mounted, but my aunt forgot to call me.

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Taylor wires came in last Friday. I'll remove the coil pack from it's current location to the location behind the rear bumper. I would've had it mounted, but my aunt forgot to call me.

at that distance you are going to have some bad misfires that is to far for the wasted spark system to funtion properly way to much wire there will be way to much resistance in the wire and you can not use wire wound core wire to reduce it

[This message has been edited by bubbajoexxx (edited 03-06-2011).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bubbajoexxx:

at that distance you are going to have some bad misfires that is to far for the wasted spark system to funtion properly way to much wire there will be way to much resistance in the wire and you can not use wire wound core wire to reduce it

Thanks for the headsup. I'll call CHFAB on Monday. Currently, the wires I've used are at least 34" in lenght with no issues. Keith Huff also used similar lenghts, but I'm not sure of his Taylor ignition wire measurements. Keith's wires appear to be at least 34" if not more. I'll call Chris West on Monday to confirm.

I need to talk to bmwguru.

Your relocated ignition coils.....

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-06-2011).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2011 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Uh oh Curly lookout !

Seems someone in Virginia is building a clone of #20 (see the background) !

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Uh oh Curly lookout !

Seems someone in Virginia is building a clone of #20 (see the background) !

Seems like someone over in that part of the country resently bought one of the hatchback kits to modify into fitting a ChopTop.

I'd love to see more pics of this one.

OH, yeah.... LOL..... Jim, your car looks sharp

Archie
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Seems like someone over in that part of the country resently bought one of the hatchback kits to modify into fitting a ChopTop.

I'd love to see more pics of this one.

Archie

Me too. I saw that when Jim88GT sent me the pics the other day. Also there seems to be a yellow notchback in the front of the choptop.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Anyway, before somebody mention something about "emergency brakes" I just ordered a set and should arrive at WCF on Wednesday.

http://www.summitracing.com...n%7cDriver+side+rear

I called WCF (oh yeah, they DO answer the phone). The emergency caliper arrived.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Time to add some old additions:

HHP Rear Sway Bar Kit: Thanks Paul. I hope it fits.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Wire day: cutting the excess.

Nearly 2 feet removed for one ignition wire. I found a way to snake the Taylor wires in and around thus eliminating several inches. On number #015 I'll use the same sizes.

Nicely tucked underneath the Caddy plenum.

Chris West demonstrated how-to crimp the first two ignition wires as I did the rest.

I love my big and round tips.

On Wednesday we're moving onto the emergency brakes.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-15-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Clean-up:

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Moving items around: The Plenum issues.

Before:

The desired location.

After.

The PCV was in the way:

Part removed:

Chris stamped out four 1/14" flanges.

We moved the plenum cover forward to reduce the gap between the Caddy cover and valve cover.

Cut out a section for PCV.

Also the other side too.

Gone are the black Caddy plenum nuts. Replaced with chrome caps.

finished:

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-17-2011).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautification: Dash.

Templet

Emergency brake: 100% custom by WCF.

Engine beautification: Completed.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-18-2011).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chris in action.

Fine tweaking.

The other side.

Tricks of the trade.

Bore out the caliper for a flush nut.

As of now the emergency e-brake arm is a bit gay, so we'll need to make the sharp corners instead of the round-like arm.

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chris in action.

Fine tweaking.

The other side.

Tricks of the trade.

Bore out the caliper for a flush nut.

As of now the emergency e-brake arm is a bit gay, so we'll need to make the sharp corners instead of the round-like arm.

that is the wrong way to install that caliper it is a floating caliper and it has 2 groves one on each side for the floating bracket the way you have it mounted will ware the front shoe off in no time look in my thread and you will see how it is suposed to be mounted shame on you
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bubbajoexxx

1630 posts
Member since Aug 2003
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bubbajoexxx

1630 posts
Member since Aug 2003
i hope you are going to put a heat shield between the wire and loom and the cat as that cat runs at 1200 degrees and the plastic melts at 300
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I love my big and round tips.

Guess what I read, and had to do a double take?

Question, How do you clean all that chrome?

Lookin good.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bubbajoexxx:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000007-9.html

Thanks Bubbajoexxx. I'll look into that on Saturday. The pics you've posted don't appear at my job's computer.

For now, it appears that Chris West is mounted the same way as mine.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock