I stopped by WCF to have Steve work his magic. He's excellent with aluminum and here's a sample of his handy work.
First off we needed to remove the excess portion from the Audi lamps using the band saw. I had previously removed one lamp using the Dremmel, but it died on me.
The idea behind this modification is to house the Audi lamp, connect the Corvette fog lamp, and mount the entire bracket underneath C6 headlamps. Although not fully 100% sure it was going to work, but in my mind it was going to work.
You might be wondering why the need for aluminum bracket. The reason is simple. It allows for the shape to smoothly wrap in and around both lamps, but like the Saturn Sky I can have the aluminum chromed. Also, since the Fog lamps housed in a angle-the aluminum will clean up the gaps (if somebody should decide to look underneath.
Onto the next one.
If you recall I had Steve make the outer curved ones on Wednesday. The curved ones will be on the outside which will separate the two lamp systems. We need to make a lower bracket to attach all three parts.
No, but it's a very nice Photoshop and thanks for cleaning up the side vent. If can explain. The contour of the nose doesn't match the shape of the Audi driving lamps. That was the main reason why V8Archie recessed and angled the Corvette fog light. Therefore I need to have Audi light follow the same curvature of the fog lamps (believe-it-or-not both items have the same curve). The aluminum bar will join both parts, but will add a bit of "pop" to the area-similarly seen on the Saturn Sky and few other European cars.
[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 02-05-2011).]
True. I'm not 100% decided. I'll have the bumper painted black and then make a decision. I only had a few minutes before sunset so I jumped on the side vents. I measured at least 6-times before I finally decided to start cutting. Using one side a templet I marked the side that need some minor detail.
Retraced the pattern on the other side.
V8Archie did a pretty good job making both fog lamps symmetrical-making my job easy.
I use the hand held mini disc wheel to get the area down to the mark.
Done for now:
WCF is next. I need to get the angle for the outer flange and have the two or three part welded.
[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 02-08-2011).]
Meanwhile on the bottom. I installed the exhaust system and it sure looks pretty compared to the previous single duel pipes. However, the right side is a bit off so the 90 degree will need modification (no biggie).
As you can see the right exhaust it off. While have the pipe corrected on Friday.
A minor cut in the corner should do the trick.
Since the CATs have rush cancer-we're replacing the other CAT's skin on Friday. This is what happens when your car resides near the ocean. Steve (@WCF) will make a cover made of aluminum and I'll have that chromed (similar to #011 CATs).
[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 02-17-2011).]
Okay, back on top. A few minor adjustments, but everything seems to fit just fine
Re-using the Fiero's stock deck lid nuts to bolt down the beautification we needed to shave just a bit off the corner to allow for the banjo-like strut covers and center piece to fit into place. There's a connecting piece that will cover over were the two parts connect.
Minor setback. I called CHRF and the need to special order the ignition wires and it will take 1-2 weeks before delivery. Therefore, temporarily we're using the old location. Upon arrival we'll mount the coil-pack under the car (similar to what BMWGuru performs). See I look at other threads.
As you can see-the area looks cluttered.
[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 02-18-2011).]