Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Madcurl's Arch Rival !! (Page 58)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Madcurl's Arch Rival !! by exoticse
Started on: 04-07-2005 02:39 AM
Replies: 3142 (255962 views)
Last post by: exoticse on 12-03-2016 10:12 PM
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2010 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking better and better Curly. I like the added vent to the trans cover piece. It fits much better. Once the Beautification in the engine compartment is done, what is left? Very anxious to see your work completed. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

Pat

IP: Logged
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2010 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

Looking better and better Curly. I like the added vent to the trans cover piece. It fits much better. Once the Beautification in the engine compartment is done, what is left? Very anxious to see your work completed. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

Pat

Thanks for the compliments.

What's next is the nose and some of the various hardware. I'm wanting to use a L-brace on the corners that was removed for the flipper (this is were WCF comes in) along with aluminum skirt angled similar to the Viper a few pages back. As for the hood;

1. reducing the Karl Molden nose (why so big???). I'm sure the blunt of the nose can be angled similar to the Corvettes nose.
2. Continue tweaking the Audi running lamps.

As for the side Corvette marker lamps- that's pretty much a reality and I'm liking the results.

aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2010 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread is awesome.
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2010 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Madcurl, you know what would be an epic centrepiece for this marvel of engineering? Russ's Northstar ITB setup... //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/087315.html

Looks fantastic though, most impressed. Keep the por... pictures coming!

[This message has been edited by Carcenomy (edited 01-07-2010).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2010 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Then he'd have to install the front valve cover.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2010 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carcenomy:

Hey Madcurl, you know what would be an epic centrepiece for this marvel of engineering? Russ's Northstar ITB setup... //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/087315.html

Looks fantastic though, most impressed. Keep the por... pictures coming!

Remember, I live in CA were smog gods rein. That is why I use only N* using the OEM items otherwise the smog rep will nail you hard!
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2010 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn you smog gods! In any event, the build is looking fantastic and I can't wait to see it all finished.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2010 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a lot of shine in that engine bay... Looks great but I don't think I'd want so much of it. I like simplicity.

That and I'm starting to wonder about the weight it adds...? To each his own. Looks good.

[This message has been edited by skuzzbomer (edited 01-11-2010).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2010 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

That and I'm starting to wonder about the weight it adds...? To each his own. Looks good.

Trust me, I could stand to lose some belly weight (25 pounds or more) and if you look around so too many Fiero owners cause I'm sure some of them can't see their feet, hehe. Seriously, weight factor was thrown out the door long time ago, but aside from using carbon fiber pieces developed... I doubt nobody in the Fiero world is going to spend $6,000 or more dollars on a custom made engine surround. If you do- they're doing it on the wrong car.

I stopped by WCF to see how the "Beautification" project is coming along. I must say, Steve has performed a excellent job and with the help of other- we've have a new idea that will be used this week regarding the ignition wires. Okay, enough of that; the plenum insert screens are in!

A bit more tweaking for the coil box, but it's coming along just fine.

The N* surround beautification is looking good.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2010 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003

through the glass picks;

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 01-11-2010).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hanging out all day waiting for Brown to deliver. The driver showed up late... yeah 5:45PM! My whole day waisted, but I decided to loose some of the blubber that's starting to accumulate around my belt, hehe. Over-all I lost 5.5 pounds just by exercising on the treadmill for 2-mile uphill position.

I was a bit nervous having all three shipped, so I opt for 1-set and then 2-sets. Beside, I'd rather wait until the mad rush during the X-mas season. As usual the crate was packaged professionally by Archie. The glass appears to-be undamaged, but I'll remove the glass on Wednesday.

Once installed, #020 shall be "complete."

Ah, uneventful day. I made a templet for the strut caps, ordered 8-rubber oil plugs for the ignition wires (long story), and dropped off the parts for Steve grind off the welds.

Strut corner templet.

I'm not feeling the coil cover so where the marker is- part of the material will be removed.

Area removed- but more is needed;

Looking through the window pics;

16JAN2010: A non-bump update.

I had Steve remove additional material from of the coil pack's outer shell. I"m not 100% sure of the exact shape I'm trying to achive, but we're getting there.

As you can see from the side picks- the coil over is starting to take shape and less of a Frankinstein's feel.

Now removed- the angle is aggressive and partly exposes the coil (that's okay since I want the brightly red ignition wires to show.

Looking through the glass window; I'm liking the flow compared to the boxie look on previous pics.

A pic w/o the coil pack cover. I hope to size-up the exact lenght needed for the ignition wires.

Next week (if weather permits) we'll continue with strut caps and a few nic-naks prior to sending the parts to the chrome shop.

18Jan2010: Storm brewing towards the west headed east towards TEH. I was traveling to TEH early this morning and I peered off towards the west (near I-5 hwy) I said to myself, "man that's one mean storm." I arrived about 08:15HR and storm was just over the mountain ripping down fences and trees. Like a little girl I ran inside the house and hoped for the best, hehe.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-21-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what's new with the "bling"
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

what's new with the "bling"

WCF is in the process of developing a 6-speed for engine swaps.

I stopped by WCF, but it was snowing. I'll be back later to pick up #020 N* beautification part on Wednesday. While I was there, I did take a few pics.

A wee bit cold outside ( I think the Bay Area looks pretty good right about now, hehe)

Look, a cho-cho train, hehe.

(you can barely see the Teh on the water tank). You gotta love small towns.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-19-2010).]

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good idea with the added protection. that should stop any wire damage

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2010 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
About to take a few parts over to the chrome shop on Thursday ( I hope), but Steve (WCF) did drill out the ignition holes;

One of the grommet rolled under the car so as you can see- one is missing, hehe.

Next week I hope to conclude the beautification N* surround and move onto something else.

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2010 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you going to chrome all the covers and screens
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2010 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think he has a choice.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2010 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

I don't think he has a choice.

Who knows what he has up his sleeve.
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the grills would look really good anodized in the same color that the car is going to be.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2010 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula:

the grills would look really good anodized in the same color that the car is going to be.

but can it be done with the grills welded in place.

[This message has been edited by troyboy (edited 01-24-2010).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2010 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

About to take a few parts over to the chrome shop on Thursday ( I hope), but Steve (WCF) did drill out the ignition holes;

I didn't have enough time to make it to the chrome shop. I guess having pancakes, eggs, and sausages took too long for me to eat, hehe.

I barely made it out of town before a major storm started brewing. I called my aunt 20-minutes later and I-5 (both directions) and 58 were closed.

While on I-5 there wasn't nobody headed in my direction (except 3-cars).

Due to nobody on the freeway- I made it back to the Bay Area in 4.45 hrs.

I’ll try again this week, but there’s no guarantee it will be any better this week since another storm is headed towards CA. Meanwhile, WCF should be finishing the details. I designed a crude mock-up for the connecting part near the rear window.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 02-05-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2010 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just thought I'd mention that you will fail miserably at being a faux supercar designer if you don't do this.
(Sorry about the color, no matter how hard I tried I couldn't make it darker with what I have. :/ )

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 01-24-2010).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2010 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula:

Anodizing is almost impossible to match to any color vary well and it fades fast in the sun. I also thought the mesh was stainless.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2010 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALLTRBO:

I just thought I'd mention that you will fail miserably at being a faux supercar designer if you don't do this.
(Sorry about the color, no matter how hard I tried I couldn't make it darker with what I have. :/ )

Thanks for the photoshop, but I looked at a F430 diffuser made of Carbon 2-yrs ago and decided to past on it. My reason are simple; it's a F430. Yes. it styled and look bad-to-the-bone, but it merely is a iconic copy. IMO it's better to original vs. copy-cat. Beside, everybody will know it's a replica part thus over shadowing my own design. IMO it's time to break the mod and do something original and with the Fiero's DNA.

The goal is simple; don't jump on Ferrari/Lamborghini iconic coattails. Use your brain and come-up with something that's not labeled as "Ferrari." Remember, it's a Fiero (for heavens sake), not a Ferrari.
InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2010 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Removed question.

[This message has been edited by InTheLead (edited 01-28-2010).]

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2010 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What type of grill mesh are you going to use for the openings.

BTW

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2010 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

What type of grill mesh are you going to use for the openings.

BTW

The same stainless steel wire mesh that was used for the engine compartment.

Meanwhile, Steve is back on the beautification project.

I decided early on that the strut caps needed a lip towards the trunks side.

It's a minor detail, but it needed to be done.

It's a bit cleaner with a uniformed flow.

Before pic;

notice the gap between the strut cap and trunk.

Also, I wasn't feeling the coil pack cover and it too needed some additional tweaking. I has Steve (WCF) remove additional material.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 01-27-2010).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2010 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check out the Vette I saw last week.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2010 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Check out the Vette I saw last week.

Too sweet!
LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curly sorry to disagree with you but I think it is FUGLY.
BUT that is just my opinion.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At the Chrome shop!

A few parts were re-tweaked;

Finally had a chance to lower the 350Z deck lid;

The strut cap needed tweaking for the deck lid to close properly.
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Originally posted by LT188GT:

Curly sorry to disagree with you but I think it is FUGLY.
BUT that is just my opinion.

After looking at it for a couple of days.... your right. I can't seem to find the LS motor with all of the "pop" in the way. I was too busy looking at the craftmanship. Also, I think the hood treatment should be deleted, but like you stated, "that's just my opinion."
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2010 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Book ends:

A simple design to cover the joining pieces near the glass.

I didn't like the box-like left upper corner so it was changed to follow the strut tower curve.

shortened the over hang a bit.

None Pre bump: update 02feb2010;

Pass Interference;

Additional material was cut-out for clearance;

Steve briefly buffed out some of the weld for a better visuals; it's looking good!

Although, it's a simple bump and grind- the chrome shop will finish the details.

The actuator area opened:

The driver is close, but more grinding;

None Essential bump; 03Feb2010.

Test fitting driver's side strut cap for clearance; it's close, but we're taking a little bit more off the top.

With the welds grind off- the side windows are looking pretty good.

You can visually see where the actuator fit within the grove.

The passenger side needed additional tweaking for clearance- the opening was enlarged.

The problem was; it was preventing the actuator from moving backwards.

Passenger side cap;

Inside pic;

A very small side window;

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 02-04-2010).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2010 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update: 04Feb; Additional Beautification.

Not wanting to leave any area untouched- I felt the need to retweak the grill vents. The parts are now unified and with less surface area thus aiding in air flow.

Steve (WCF) cut- out a vent on the inner side of the grills.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2010 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Let see how it looks.

(some of the parts are at the Chrome shop).
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2010 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Let's see how the grills look from the outside;

With the aid of a few friends, beer, and enough time to kill after work; it was agreed that additional tweaking is needed where the flat area is behind the side window, but that will happen next week. Right now, I'll let the thought marinate.

LS1 Troy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2010 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1 TroySend a Private Message to LS1 TroyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:
With the aid of a few friends, beer, and enough time to kill after work; it was agreed that additional tweaking is needed where the flat area is behind the side window, but that will happen next week. Right now, I'll let the thought marinate.

Curly,

After looking at the pics of that Corvette with "Too Much" chrome. Have you considered going either gloss black or body color on some of these parts? I think it would create more focus to the primary crown jewel being displayed: the engine.

Just a thought,
Troy
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2010 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LS1 Troy:

Curly,

After looking at the pics of that Corvette with "Too Much" chrome. Have you considered going either gloss black or body color on some of these parts? I think it would create more focus to the primary crown jewel being displayed: the engine.

Just a thought,
Troy

Thanks for the insight for the engine compartment beautification. I have three serious cut-outs prior to finalization. Once those cuts are performed I will need to sit back and try to visualize which choice to make. However, with each cut- leaves less surface area were it normally would be polished or chromed. The main area is the center rail that joins the two side pieces. The entire middle section with be gutted with stainless wiremesh thus less chrome.

A non-committed bump: Exhaust modifications. 10Feb2010

While some of the parts are at the chrome shop, I decided to move onto the next project... the exhaust.

I'm not feeling the single exhaust so I decided to have that area tweaked.

It was a bit rusty so a couple a PB Blaster shots did the trick;

Steve (WCF) has afew tricks up his sleeve. We'll see if he can work some tricks;

with twin dual exhaust should solve the anemic single dual exhaust;

As for the beautification... it's looking nice under the glass. I should have the chrome parts by Monday.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 02-11-2010).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2010 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A minor set back; The chrome shop ripped one of the flanges off, so I had to take it back to WCF for additional beefing.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2010 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Mean while, back at the ranch, I dropped the trunk plate off with Steve (WCF) for additional beefing. The chrome shop is closed on Friday, so I'll pick up the trunk plate on Monday (no rush).

Good news; the two parts came out nicely. Granted, I could've gone polished, but...

The chrome plating was even w/o issue, but the stainless mesh was nice and didn't over shine the other chrome parts. The fuel and ignition pieces aren't as-big-as the strut tower parts, so I'm not completely out of the woods yet. Over-all- I'm happy with the results.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock