Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Madcurl's Arch Rival !! (Page 57)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Madcurl's Arch Rival !! by exoticse
Started on: 04-07-2005 02:39 AM
Replies: 3142 (255962 views)
Last post by: exoticse on 12-03-2016 10:12 PM
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Proposed cut-out sections using black marker. I can't wait to see the results next week; then we'll get going with the trunk's backside.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 11-25-2009).]

IP: Logged
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

are the cut out sections going to be exposed or are you using some sort of mesh ?
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

are the cut out sections going to be exposed or are you using some sort of mesh ?

1-pic of the wire mesh one page back.

Originally posted by madcurl:

Also (thanks to Troyboy) we'll be using wire mesh for the cut-outs;

I was going to use a strut tower brace to give the strut plates more depth and pop, but since that would mean additional tweaks- way beyond my mental limits wanting to go for now (maybe on another choptop). It's time to move onto other areas.
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tune in next week for more exciting adventures...

Looking good, Curly.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2009 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any nose work on the schedule this week ?
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2009 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Any nose work on the schedule this week ?

Pre-fitment test for intake (it was a bit to close so additional section was removed.

Strut screen cut-outs performed;

The screen aren't welding in place, but are laying underneath the plates; we where checking for clearances

Beautifications continued; over-all I like how the stainless steel screens break-up the visuals thus a Utilitarian flow (although it's mainly for looks, hehe).

Marked pre-cut outs on the inserts.

Next week Steve (WCF) should be close to finishing the welds and additional cut-outs near and around the intake and return tank covers. Next will be the coil/transmission cover and trunks backside covering, enjoy.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2009 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry. This week it snowed big time and the hwy was closed Monday.

Not much done this week- it's freezing cold. It was down to 16 degrees last night.

Steve (WCF) was able to resize the cut needed and I test fitted the part and all is good.

The slanted plenum looks pretty serious behind the sail window (even it's not functional, hehe).

Cut-out for the video lead;

It's too cold. Time for a nice video, pizza, and beer.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 12-09-2009).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2009 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The intake corner- done.

Freezing cold here!

ferrobi

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2009 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking great - cold here too
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2009 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looking good!! I knew that wire mesh would come in handy some day
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2009 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

troyboy

2075 posts
Member since Sep 2005
time to start the nose job ....hehehe
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2009 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

Time to start the nose job ....hehehe

Hehe, I'll need to purchase a garage heater. It was down to 42 degrees in the garage. I don't want to get a runny nose while working on the nose.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2009 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please tell me that the wind dies down in the cold!
I think I could take that snow better than that bone cutting wind, but both at the same time.....NO WAY.

------------------

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2009 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

Please tell me that the wind dies down in the cold!

Nope.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2009 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, the weather is a bit better, hehe.

Mean while, Steve is back at it!

Pre-cut screen to desired size;

Nice fit;

Onto the intake piece;

Steve working the spot welder;

Side tracked, hehe.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2009 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Side tracked continued;

The proud owner of these beautiful toys.

Not your normal run-of-the-mill Viper, hehe.

Okay, back to the beautification; once the desired part is cut- next is the spot weld around the mesh screen to hold it's shape.

Next, Steve adds the "Chingoso" to hold the screen in place.

and back to the spot welding machine. The spot welder is much faster and to the point vs a meg (every serious shop should have one of these- WCF does,)

Time to finish the strut tower screens.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-19-2010).]

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2009 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That Steve does some pretty nice work! I know that it is probably buried somewhere in this vast thread but can you tell me where that mesh came from? I understand if it is "Top Secret". Just looking for some alternatives for some grill work on one of my projects. I'll be in the Tehachapi area in Januray. I'll have to stop by and check those guys out. Maybe I could shcedule an appointment to see some Chop Top's? Whoever made those Fiero's look like a Viper, Ranchero and a Firebird is pretty talented too........ What do you mean those are not Fiero's?

Pat
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2009 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

I'll be in the Tehachapi area in Januray. I'll have to stop by and check those guys out. Maybe I could shcedule an appointment to see some Chop Top's? Whoever made those Fiero's look like a Viper, Ranchero and a Firebird is pretty talented too........ What do you mean those are not Fiero's?

Pat

Plan your visit carefully, because it snows at least three times a year. Right now- the coast is clear.

Can you tell me where that mesh came from? I understand if it is "Top Secret". Just looking for some alternatives for some grill work on one of my projects.

Pat

Actually, the screen isn't "top secret." You'll need to ask Troyboy as-to the maker of the screen. The screen was originally Troy's, but from what I was told- it wouldn't work for his application.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 12-16-2009).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2009 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Fat enough?

Okay, back to business; 99% done.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-23-2010).]

j2keel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2009 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for j2keelSend a Private Message to j2keelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wish I had those kind of resources!
Looks good
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2009 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by j2keel:

Looks good

Thanks. Now it's time to move forward on the back trunk plate. There's a few items left on the strut plates and inserts (like a screen behind the plenum openings), but for now it time to move on.

The flat area near the fuel lines will too have a mesh screen. That's it for this week. Steve (WCF) had other projects to finish.

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2009 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the meantime, enjoy this brief intermission; Driving my 95 year old grandmother's Caddy, hehe. As of 2010 California's DMV will not allow her to drive the car. I guess 95 is the cut-off for older driver.The car lenght takes-up 2-gas pump stations, geese I forgot how long these suckers are. Oh yeah, gas cap is located behind the license plate. About 20 years ago I had a alarm system installed. Apparently, a local thug was trying to steal the car.

You're not allowed to eat in her car and the car is adorned with a few towels drapped over the seats.

While gasing up a guy offered me 8k for it (apparently a few Mexican lowrider dig these Caddy's). I didn't bother telling my grandmother for she'll never sell it.

Only 44k, so it only see's the hwy if I'm driving it (which is rare I might add).

Originally, the engine was a 4/6/8 crappy V8. My grandfather was pissed so they replaced it with a normal V8 (it's a gas gruzzler).

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 12-18-2009).]

Jim88GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hang on to it and you can be driving it in a few years when you hit 95!

Jim
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jim88GT:

Hang on to it and you can be driving it in a few years when you hit 95!

Jim

That's Brutal! Funny - but brutal.....

Edit to add.... I can't wait to see what "tweaks" are in store for this car?

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 12-18-2009).]

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's Brutal! Funny - but brutal.....

Edit to add.... I can't wait to see what "tweaks" are in store for this car?

send it to the east coast we'll fix ya up

[This message has been edited by troyboy (edited 12-18-2009).]

01GPGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 01GPGTSend a Private Message to 01GPGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That caddy is noce i like the old GM B-bodies from the late 70's- 80's
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2009 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back on track;A peek at the insert grills through the sail window (as you can see- no screens are inside the plenum openings- we're working on that, hehe).

The plenum's tri-angular end pieces are almost finished

I still need to have screens installed in the openings.

The stainless mesh screens now allow the insert piece to take on a unique shape.

Next week Steve (WCF) will be back on the project tweaking a few items and removing the welds. I don't expect too much to be done during the last week of December. I hope to have #020 on the streets again in January (driving produces more ideas). Over-all I'm now happy with the engine compartment (even though I have a few items left to complete).

Enjoy.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 12-19-2009).]

MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2009 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curley:

I gotta tell you that when you started this project, I was a bit skeptical, but it really is looking great! Can't wait to see it in chrome.

You and Steve have done a really nice job!

Regards,

David
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MountainHiBlue87GT:

Curley:

I gotta tell you that when you started this project, I was a bit skeptical, but it really is looking great! Can't wait to see it in chrome.

You and Steve have done a really nice job!

Regards,

David

Thanks for the compliments David. I too doubted it during the first two simple pieces of aluminum, but somehow in my mind it appeared to simple. Good thing West Coast Fiero is in town, hehe. Okay, some progress today (I didn't think I'd get this far since it's X-mas eve). Steve (WCF) was able to to cut-out the screen pattern for the fuel cover. Although, leaving it as-is was a option- I decided to use the screen to break-up the visuals.

As you can see- the screen blends-in with the rest of the parts.

Moving onto the trunk's back plate. Steve used the patten I had mocked-up from #020. It just so happened that they had a piece nearly perfect.

Cutting of the part;

Now for the angles;

Test fitting using Chris West notchie;

Once the inside angle was performed- next was the outer angles.

Looks good to me;

#020: trial test fitting. It's truly nice that all Fiero's use the same angles; perfect fit IMO.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 12-24-2009).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Moving onto the trunk caps;

Not wanting to leave no stone unturned; part of the trunk is exposed so I decided to cover it;

cardboard caps;

Flip-it and use the same part for the drivers side;

Part cut out- now Steve back at it again.

Looks good to me;
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Test fitting:

If you notice that the trunk piece is smaller than the actual size needed. Why? Because my trunk is cut-out for the D1S turbo (if Kevin ever gets around to building it).

#020 fit testing;

Things are starting to "pop" and there's no chrome yet!

The trunk cap fits nicely in the tucked corners;

Driver's side with cut-out for trunk light housing.

trunk condoms wrapping over piece.

Trunk condom in place;

driver side trunk condom;

Pop, pop, and more pop!

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Things to do list;

Since the trunk caps are made- I can now mock-up a card board side cap for the strut towers; a simple piece should do the job.

I hope to get back to the transmission cover plate. This is the last areas that needs serious attention.

I've already started to mock-up a cardboard piece for the area.

The transmission cover will follow the valve cover angle with screen cut-outs for air flow.

I got a garage heater for those late night ideas. When it's 36 degrees I can't come up with ideas when it's that cold.

Strange how one part of California is cold and the other is near freezing. I was dinning last week on the coast. Beautiful location at night! Oh yeah, the juicy steak was good too, hehe.

This reminds me; I need to hook-up the intake next week;

back on track; looking good now.

Until next week. Later.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2009 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yearly wrap-up. The engine compartment has come a long way.

The Dark Dust Bowl Days;

The Chrome Painted Plenum Cover Days

The Chrome Valve Cover Days;

The Polish Intake Inquisition Era;

The Beautification Era;

The Bronze Era;

The Industrialization Era;

The Upper plenum Era;

The Screen Wars;

To the Furture and Beyond;

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 12-26-2009).]

whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2009 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looking great Curly!
rodrieguz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2009 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrieguzSend a Private Message to rodrieguzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tip my hat to you, that is one amazing transformation and inspiration also!
Rod

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2009 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whodeanie:

looking great Curly!

Originally posted by rodrieguz:

I tip my hat to you, that is one amazing transformation and inspiration also!
Rod

Thanks guys. #020 is a long way from being finished. I have few minor tweaks to the engine compartment and it should be ready by late January 2010 and I hope to finish the entire build before June 10, 2010.

2009 Year End wrap-up; continues.

Following #011 lead- I decided to use the same location for the coil pack.

I'll need to slightly bend the corner ear for better clearance.

I could move the coil pack underneath the custom inserts (for a cleaner look), but I'm going with location since the two of the coils are painted chrome.

I think the location will look good as-is using custom colored ignition wires from CHRAB.

Cut-out using cardboard.

Pattern transfered:

Looks good to me;

Good to go!

Steve (WCF) will start on the tranny cover's outer 1" lip and maybe the insert mesh grill on Tuesday.

In the meantime, enjoy this brief intermission: enjoy.
Year-end teeth cleaning and stuff... ouch!

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2009 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today, Steve (WCF) was able to finish the transmission cover. The cover (just like the others) is perfect for #020.

Test fit; the part is just laying and isn't bolted in place. The angle matches the valve cover and the area. As noted, the mesh screen adds a bit of character.

A pic with the coil in place (not moved over in the pic).

A pic w/o coil pack

A sky pic through the 350Z glass;

After test fitting, Steve (WCF) was able to weld various brackets for support. I"m headed to the garage and put it together. In the meantime enjoy this brief intermission;
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2009 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The "ear/strut cap."

Trunk cap and transmission cover;

Ear/strut cap attached;

A few minor tweaks, but I like the transmission cover. I might add a screen opening at the top. I think it's too much flat chrome area and too add a small piece on the "ear" to match-up with the strut cap.

Tell next year 2010!

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 12-31-2009).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2009 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Purposed cut-out; we'll tackle the vent in 2010!

The coil pack moved over to the left. The "ear" was bent to fit the trunk's shape. It's only 2" or so, but it allows for better visuals of the valve cover.

Until 2010; enjoy this brief intermission.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 12-31-2009).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2010 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2010 has arrived and we're back on the engine compartment beautification. Today, there was only enough time to cut out the transmission vent and mock-up a coil pack surround.

The coil surround too will have a cap with mesh vent on top.

Other-than-that, nothing new here. Next week I hope to pick-up the finished plenum vents along with other minor tweaked parts.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock