Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Madcurl's Arch Rival !! (Page 47)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Madcurl's Arch Rival !! by exoticse
Started on: 04-07-2005 02:39 AM
Replies: 3142 (255962 views)
Last post by: exoticse on 12-03-2016 10:12 PM
toddshotrods

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2008 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You guys do a great job of thinking things through, so you may already have covered this, and I don't have enough time to read every word of this incredible thread so...

Do you have any kind of failure safety for the dual actuators? I asked because I did a similar setup on a custom hood and when one of the actuators failed the other actuator managed to crack the fiberglass hood before the guy realized something was wrong. This is a really strong (but relatively lightweight) custom hood, and we're only using dual 75lb actuators. Whatever was wrong with the actuator was internal, and it was replaced free of charge, but the damage to the hood was done by then. This is on a project car that has'nt even been driven yet. The owner/builder just has a thing for giving visitors to his shop the "grand tour", including his power hood!

I haven't even put any serious thought or research into the issue yet on his car, but would like to have some kind of safety shut down before it's painted.
IP: Logged
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2008 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2008 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by toddshotrods:

You guys do a great job of thinking things through, so you may already have covered this, and I don't have enough time to read every word of this incredible thread so...

Do you have any kind of failure safety for the dual actuators? I asked because I did a similar setup on a custom hood and when one of the actuators failed the other actuator managed to crack the fiberglass hood before the guy realized something was wrong. This is a really strong (but relatively lightweight) custom hood, and we're only using dual 75lb actuators. Whatever was wrong with the actuator was internal, and it was replaced free of charge, but the damage to the hood was done by then. This is on a project car that has'nt even been driven yet. The owner/builder just has a thing for giving visitors to his shop the "grand tour", including his power hood!

I haven't even put any serious thought or research into the issue yet on his car, but would like to have some kind of safety shut down before it's painted.

Yes. Thank you for asking. I picked Dakota Digital for those very reason you've mentioned.
http://www.dakotadigital.co...mode=prod/prd465.htm

Dual Linear Actuator Controller
From Dakota Digital
Then PAC-3200 is designed to control two linear motors at the same time. It is intended to be used to lift heavier trunk lids and toppers/tonneau covers that require more than one motor. The PAC-3200 has a safety auto reverse feature that will stop downward travel if something would block the trunk lid. If too much current draw is detected, indicating a blocked condition, the motors will reverse and return to the previous position before they started moving down. The system can learn three user programmable heights, so the trunk/cover will automatically move to a desired position with the push of a button. There is also an auto move to position feature that will open the trunk/cover when the key is turned off and close the cover when the key is turned on.
Designed to be used only with Dakota Digital Linear Actuators.

Side note; On my way out from HMB on 92 hwy the traffic jam was backed-up to 280 hwy over-pass to PCH (that's nearly 6-miles) for the Pumpkin Festival. I'm glad I got out alive, hehe.

phone pic

I'm heading south on 280 to San Jose.

A F360 passed me on 280 south. Hey, I have the same mirrors, hehe.

Began my 3,000 flight to Archie's.

Edit: to add Pacheco pics.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 11-08-2008).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2008 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Looks like black abs plastic. Nice call.

Thanks

Curley wanted a way to open the front clip to access the battery if for some reason the actuators don't work.

So we set it up so that he can disconnect the lower ends of the actuators by just removing 2 Allen Head Cap Screws on the underside of the ABS cover.

Archie

PS Curley, I have 4811 pictures that I took while building your car. I have put all of them on 2 CD's, remind me to give them to you.

A

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2008 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stopped by Pick-a-Part to check out a few things;

Oh yeah, they have a N* STS on the yard.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 10-19-2008).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2008 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Curly did you get the parts ?
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2008 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
Curly did you get the parts ?

Yes. I did get the part, but not from Chevy. The Chevy parts department hadn't received the items (still on hold for the last 3-weeks) so I took a chance and went to Pick-a-Part and they had only one Camero with them. 5-minutes later the part was off. I got the part for $5 bucks a piece. I'll call Chevy parts dept. on Monday to cancel my order.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2008 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Do you have any more plans to dress up the frame when the front is flipped?
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2008 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:
Yes. Thank you for asking. I picked Dakota Digital for those very reason you've mentioned.
http://www.dakotadigital.co...mode=prod/prd465.htm

Dual Linear Actuator Controller
From Dakota Digital
Then PAC-3200 is designed to control two linear motors at the same time. It is intended to be used to lift heavier trunk lids and toppers/tonneau covers that require more than one motor. The PAC-3200 has a safety auto reverse feature that will stop downward travel if something would block the trunk lid. If too much current draw is detected, indicating a blocked condition, the motors will reverse and return to the previous position before they started moving down. The system can learn three user programmable heights, so the trunk/cover will automatically move to a desired position with the push of a button. There is also an auto move to position feature that will open the trunk/cover when the key is turned off and close the cover when the key is turned on.
Designed to be used only with Dakota Digital Linear Actuators.

Side note; On my way out from HMB on 92 hwy the traffic jam was backed-up to 280 hwy over-pass to PCH (that's nearly 6-miles) for the Pumpkin Festival. I'm glad I got out alive, hehe.

phone pic

I'm heading south on 280 to San Jose.

A F360 passed me on 280 south. Hey, I have the same mirrors, hehe.

Was rolling side by side with a ferrari spyder today myself,..hehehehe pics tommorow !
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2008 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

Do you have any more plans to dress up the frame when the front is flipped?

Not right now, paint cause I can't stand looking at it! After paint.... restructuring.

The frame restructuring is #2 on the list. Archie, The Crew, and I need to find a solution to reinforce the area where the metal structure was removed. Granted, the L-corners won't be nearly as strong as the original, but it's better than nothing. Once a design is made then the fiber glassing (front and Rear) can proceed cause right now these areas don't look good.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2008 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few more pics as per request.

Archie
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2008 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Archie. The interior looks much better than the last time I saw it and I'm loving the center console. I think the digital gauges will look sweet once it's completed. One thing that is getting tossed is the stock heavy steering wheel.

MOMO baby, MOMO!

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
#013b and #020... they shall meet again. High-up in the mountains.

Code: _la_s_a_f

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 02:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
7-hrs before take off, I think the coast is clear.

Left over pics during our brief intermission.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 10-20-2008).]

whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

that just sick !
looking great.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A few more pics as per request.

Archie

Hehehe! I'm using that same custom prop rod for my decklid right now.
86fierofun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any more pics of the car on the left?
DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fierofun:

Any more pics of the car on the left?

Here's a thread full............. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/069871.html

86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unless it's burried in there some place in the middle, that thread is mainly about a different car. I looked through 15 pages of it and haven't found any on the car on the left.

Anyone else?
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/066554.html
this is what your looking for

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 10-20-2008).]

whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Unless it's burried in there some place in the middle, that thread is mainly about a different car. I looked through 15 pages of it and haven't found any on the car on the left.

Anyone else?

beleve it or not it is the same car.
PFF
System Bot
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/066554.html
this is what your looking for

Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Whodeanie. They are not the same car. In the thread quoted, the car I was looking for is pictured sitting next to the car in the perfect union thread.
DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I did post the wrong build thread for the car you asked about. There's just to many cool.widebody chops coming out of Archie's shop to keep up with.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Whodeanie. They are not the same car. In the thread quoted, the car I was looking for is pictured sitting next to the car in the perfect union thread.

my bad I thought that was the thread he posted not Troys car

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a chance to drive #020 today and boy was it fun! I drove about three miles of so and the car turned heads. The ground clearence is perfect w/o any rubbing and rode pretty good.

As usual I had a few head tweaks. I think the Camero scoops look good and they flow with hood. The Crew will complete the task on Tuesday and I'm outta here! It has been three years since I drove the car to Archie's in November.

GODFATHER

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So where are the pics of todays road trip madcurl?
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FLAGSTAFF - what did I win?
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

FLAGSTAFF - what did I win?

Your chance to see both cars in person.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Tony, you have pics. Check your email.
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DL10:

Sorry I did post the wrong build thread for the car you asked about. There's just to many cool.widebody chops coming out of Archie's shop to keep up with.

No kidding. That's why I had to ask for more pictures
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tony, you have pics. Check your email.

The latest tweek !!

First the trip to the yard to pull the part.

Fitting the part in it's new home

What the part looked like originally on a camaro

Curly,..always tweekin !
PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2008 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 10-21-2008).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Part is finally on the car and I'm ready to roll-out on Wednesday!
85duke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85dukeSend a Private Message to 85dukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curly when are you gonna have it in cali so i can see it in person?
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Part is finally on the car and I'm ready to roll-out on Wednesday!

now fix that unsightly wedge in the center of the hood it is out of place every thing is rounded or moplded to match and the wedge sticks out like a sore thumb blend it into the hood or roll the edges into the hood

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curley & the Arch Rival are on their way home.

And We're on the the next project.

JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Curley & the Arch Rival are on their way home.

And We're on the the next project.

If your bored and need something to do, you can always volunteer to chop my car as a birthday present.

------------------

Sail Panel Window Alternative //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/043053.html
My best advice when it comes to your Fiero is to "NOT" do any dealings with www.kitcarman.com
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-1-061575.html <~ The drama with kitcarman
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/078336.html <~ finishing and fixing kitcarmans mess
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/079860.html <~ re-do after kitcarmans motor blew up.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, Party is over.

I've talked to Curley twice since he left & everything is going well.

He said to tell the people who were looking to meet up with him that he'll be as D1S. Sometime tomorrow AM.

He is also asking LeRoy to call him when he can about an AZ connection.

Anyone who spots him along the way, please post up location & time in this thread. (& pics if you get any)

Here's some pics.

I gotta add that I think the nose that a lot of people were critical of, is now looking pretty good.

I'm posting some video up now.

Archie

------------------

Sig by Custom2M4

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 10-22-2008).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock