Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Madcurl's Arch Rival !! (Page 29)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Madcurl's Arch Rival !! by exoticse
Started on: 04-07-2005 02:39 AM
Replies: 3142 (255962 views)
Last post by: exoticse on 12-03-2016 10:12 PM
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2007 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did another PS back when I lowered it that incorporated the raised lower line of the quarter window. I also did something that wouldn't be so easy to accomplish, but in my mind it's necessary for that much of a chop to look good. ...just my humble opinion.

Edit: My first owned page.

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 12-02-2007).]

IP: Logged
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2007 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet! That's where we're headed on the sail window. Thanks.
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2007 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few pictures of roughing in the area around the new 1/4 windows. Building a lip that's a little higher than what it was and a "pinchweld" area to set the window into.

Note: the window area is not finished in these pics. (thus the term "roughing in"). We still will be smoothing & shaping the bottom line, adding a "pinchweld" to the top line & putting a nice pretty radis at the distal end.

Another reason I wanted to change the rear fenders, was that there wasn't anything in this area a guy could build this window area into.

In this case our new window lip is glassed right into the fender cap before the cap is final installed.

Archie

SAFASTRO

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2007 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool Archie!!!

------------------

2" Choptop
Shortened Front Bumper
Shortened Rear Bumper
10" Stretch
Dubs
350 V8 Conversion

FierociousGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2007 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This was an observation Alex (aka: FieroGTRwideboby) made...

Any REAL interest in a widebody kit? (Page 6)
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/064001-6.html

Originally posted by FieroGTRwideboby:
The car looks awesome, but is it too late to change the quarter window area. Quick photoshop:

-Alex

edited to fix link

hehehe never too late...

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 12-06-2007).]

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2007 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did anyone notice the 'other' thing I did to the PS in the first post on the page?

It looks like the windows will be fixed up nicely, but "radis"? "distal"?
Songman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2007 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You fixed that annoying fender/door thing that we all hate. That is one area of the Fiero that I can't stand. That's why the front looks so bulbous. Good work!
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2007 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
unbelieveable work !!
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2007 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Songman:

You fixed that annoying fender/door thing that we all hate. That is one area of the Fiero that I can't stand. That's why the front looks so bulbous. Good work!

I hate to sound like I don't know what you're talking about, but what is that annoying fender/door thing that we all hate?

Archie
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2007 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Songman, thanks. Not just the fender/door thing, but the whole front end (which is why I said it wouldn't be easy, or necessarily even possible, like the window). It looks okay to my eye when the top is stock, but it looks like a pancake to me once that much is taken from the profile, quite disproportionate.

Archie, compare the two pics other than the quarter window. That's what he was talking about.

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 12-07-2007).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2007 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALLTRBO:

Songman, thanks. Not just the fender/door thing, but the whole front end (which is why I said it wouldn't be easy, or necessarily even possible, like the window). It looks okay to my eye when the top is stock, but it looks like a pancake to me once that much is taken from the profile, quite disproportionate.

Archie, compare the two pics other than the quarter window. That's what he was talking about.

All I see is that the nose/hood is thinner above the front wheel well opening.

If that's what everybody hates then it's Norm's nose not Fieros that's the thing everybody hates.

I'll tell you what I would hate & that would be the front tire rubbing the underside of the nose if you lowered the nose that much.

Archie
PFF
System Bot
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2007 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:
All I see is that the nose/hood is thinner above the front wheel well opening.
If that's what everybody hates then it's Norm's nose not Fieros that's the thing everybody hates.

Norms front end only follows the stock lines in the area of mention. See red circle. The upper fender line doesn't match the upper door line. That is "that annoying fender/door thing that we all hate".

To me the entire front end looks too bulbous with the chop, and that mismatched line accentuates it. That's just the way my eyes see it.

I'll tell you what I would hate & that would be the front tire rubbing the underside of the nose if you lowered the nose that much.
Archie

Again...

(which is why I said it wouldn't be easy, or necessarily even possible, like the window)

Steven

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 12-08-2007).]

psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2007 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive been diggin following this thread. Just curious though, teh "updated" vents on the sides of the rear window look like they will cover the AWESOME vent holes (the bottle shaped ones) which I think are very slick looking. I think this is one of the most beautiful looking cars, let alone fieros I have ever seen, but have the fear that with all the revisions it may be taken too far. Not to say its not beautiful, just that Ive seen so many cars over the years where the builder. designer just seemed to not know when to stop and call it done. I built a truck about 10 years ago that was on teh cover of Truckin magazine, and fell into the trap, after the shoot I had so many complements that I just kept on making changes, looked over doen when I sold it.

Like I siad though, I LOVE the way this car looks!! Cant wait to se it wearing somehting shiny!
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2007 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by psychosurfer:

Ive been diggin following this thread. Just curious though, teh "updated" vents on the sides of the rear window look like they will cover the AWESOME vent holes (the bottle shaped ones) which I think are very slick looking. I think this is one of the most beautiful looking cars, let alone fieros I have ever seen, but have the fear that with all the revisions it may be taken too far. Not to say its not beautiful, just that Ive seen so many cars over the years where the builder. designer just seemed to not know when to stop and call it done. I built a truck about 10 years ago that was on teh cover of Truckin magazine, and fell into the trap, after the shoot I had so many complements that I just kept on making changes, looked over doen when I sold it.

Like I siad though, I LOVE the way this car looks!! Cant wait to se it wearing somehting shiny!

I know where you're coming from, I worry about going one step too far all the time.

You know the reason engineers are never allowed to work without supervision is that the engineer never knows when he's done. The supervisor has to tap the engineer on the shoulder & tell him he's done.

BTW, I liked the bottle vents too but Curley didn't & they're now cut up.

When the new vents are done & finished they will look good & you'll forget the bottle vents.

I should post some new pics tonight.

Archie

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2007 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:...

You know the reason engineers are never allowed to work without supervision is that the engineer never knows when he's done. The supervisor has to tap the engineer on the shoulder & tell him he's done.
...Archie

Most of us have a "check wallet" light that let's us know when we are done. Curley seems to be immune from that particular condition.

The car looks great. Most people try to put every mod they can think of on one car, but fortunately Curley has several cars amongst to spread out the love

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2007 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kris has finished up with roughing the window openings in the car. Still have finish sanding, shaping & filling before our window cutout fits perfectly.

We've also glassed on the rear fender caps including filling & sanding.

Archie
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2007 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
awesome stuff.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2007 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cheers to, " Archie and the Crew" on their Excellent Tweak/Workmanship.

Yeah, it's close enough, hehe.

------------------

"Anyone can make a copy of something, it may look good but it never is the real car. Make something from your imagination, something unique, something nobody has, anything is possible and, ideas can become a reality; Archie and the Crew and make your Dreams into a reality."

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 12-28-2007).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2007 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Originally posted by psychosurfer:

I've been diggin following this thread. Just curious though, the "updated" vents on the sides of the rear window look like they will cover the AWESOME vent holes (the bottle shaped ones) which I think are very slick looking. I think this is one of the most beautiful looking cars, let alone Fieros I have ever seen, but have the fear that with all the revisions it may be taken too far. Not to say its not beautiful, just that I've seen so many cars over the years where the builder; designer just seemed to not know when to stop and call it done. I built a truck about 10 years ago that was on the cover of Truckin magazine, and fell into the trap, after the shoot I had so many complements that I just kept on making changes, looked over doen when I sold it.

Like I said though, I LOVE the way this car looks!! Cant wait to se it wearing somehting shiny!

Thank you Sir and I like your honest opinions and others who have chimed-in for with-out them #020 would have not been what it is....today. I agree 100% that too much is just what it is----too much. A few close friends continually tap me on my shoulder to remind me, "not too much" and from those to whom I've never meet, but in all fareness, I have other builds waiting in the wings that will benifit from the kit, so I'll have many ideas to go around. I guess the "key" is knowing whats--- too much. The only rules I try to follow are ; "keeping it OEM-ish." If the general public thinks or is tricked into thinking its stock or new...then you're okay. On the other hand "IF YOUR CAR exceeds the Ferrari/Lamborghini stying ques...then maybe you've gone overboard and are entering the "importish areana," hehe. I have few more ideas left before I jump onto the front hood.

Just a few of those "friends" who knew of the build several years ago

4/7/2005

Originally posted by exoticse:

The thread was not initially meant to be superinformative just to wet the appetite and announce this person's car. I am basing my opinion on the mockups and plans i have seen for this car,....this person is serious. (By the way i am not alone, Madcurl has seen the plans for this car too and agrees it will be better). There will be at least one mod never ever done on a fiero.

10/22/2005

Originally posted by Songman:

Now everyone here knows that me and Curly are friends.. And he even gives me credit for bringing him into the online Fiero world The owner has big plans for it and I agree that it will rival either of Curly's creations. (No offense, Curly)

This is definately a thread to watch!

As for the Meguire's bottle vent, I too like them which is why I waited until I arrived at the Dells show. It reallly was a tough call once you've seen them in person, but due to the Meguier'sr size and the area of interest------IMO they needed to-play a back-up (supported role) similarly found on the Enzo's small deck vent and elongated rear window vents. Besides, the Audi R8 and the Ferrrari 360 Modena have elongated deck vents.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 12-10-2007).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2007 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Steven

It maybe one of those "issues" we all have to live with especially on #020 due to the hardware in this area. I'm not saying it can't be performed, I'm just saying I have more of an issues using the VDC kit that extends and swiing outward.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 12-09-2007).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2007 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Originally posted by FierociousGT:

This was an observation Alex (aka: FieroGTRwideboby) made...

Any REAL interest in a widebody kit? (Page 6)
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/064001-6.html

hehehe never too late...

Yep. It's never too late. Alex has chimmed in on various aspect of the car and his thoughts have been very helpful; as-is everyone else (Jimbishop), but the sail ramping originally was to mimick the 360 Modena. The problem is/was...how much of a ramping? Since the sail window isn't cheap material, it was prudent to start-off with a larger area and if need; reduce the original size. 4.9 skills are excellent when it comes to photoshopping a image.

Originally posted by fourpoint9:

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 12-09-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2007 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know where you're coming from, I worry about going one step too far all the time.

BTW, I liked the bottle vents too but Curley didn't & they're now cut up.

When the new vents are done & finished they will look good & you'll forget the bottle vents.

Archie

Plans, plans, hehe. Now some will want to get a mad/rear-flipper since the AudiR8 is out. Yeah gotta stay ahead of the new car games; always thinking outside the box.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 02-11-2008).]

FieroGTguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2007 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Plans, plans, hehe. Now some will want to get a mad/rear-flipper since the AudiR8 is out. Yeah gotta stay ahead of the new car games; always thinking outside the box.

By the time you're done (and have everything motorized), you'll have to have the "Transformer's" morphing sound on a loudspeaker to autoplay at that push of a button. Maybe figure out a way to get it to stand upright with a head that pops out? j/k Very cool stuff man.

Greg

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2007 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something new for #020:

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2007 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before......

After........

Archie
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2007 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everything looks great, except that you can see the front part of the trunk through the rear window. What are the plans to cover that up? Re-shape the truck area?
also, how is the visibility out the back?

Awesome work again
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2007 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When Curley gets the leather done he's going to have a leather snap on cover made for the trunk area.

Once there's a mirror mounted on the inside of the windshield visibility will be as good or better than a Fiero GT. You can see in the back window just fine. The major problem with visibility out the back is the reflextion of that Caddie engine in the rear window.

You may have noticed that it only has a single exhaust tip, that will be corrcted before it's done.

Also, the 1/4 window is a piece of black painted cardboard.

Archie

Originally posted by 88White3.4GT:

Everything looks great, except that you can see the front part of the trunk through the rear window. What are the plans to cover that up? Re-shape the truck area?
also, how is the visibility out the back?

Awesome work again

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 12-14-2007).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2007 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like everything else...excellent craftmenship, totally awesome, and a one-off job! The two years of planning, reshaping, and pip-dreaming is/has payed off.

Next on the list: That hood!

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 12-14-2007).]

Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2007 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Next on the list: That hood!

I was wondering when you'd get around to that! Any hints as to where you're going with it?

[This message has been edited by Doc John (edited 12-14-2007).]

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2007 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88White3.4GT:
...you can see the front part of the trunk through the rear window. What are the plans to cover that up?...

When Curley gets the leather done he's going to have a leather snap on cover made for the trunk area...

Another option would be to paint the inside of the glass black a little further up than it is; if it wouldn't interfere with rearward vision. The leather would look good but if you couldn't see anything there it would draw peeping eyes to the Northstar.

Just a thought...

------------------
toddshotrods.com - wanna ride?
crazy projects, features, articles, art & more

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 12-14-2007).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2007 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doc John:

I was wondering when you'd get around to that! Any hints as to where you're going with it?

A few pages back. Notice the green tape, black marker lines, and a few other photo shop hints that members here suggested, hehe.

Tappered dreams: June 6, 2007 "Keep the dream alive."

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 12-16-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2007 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn... how do you get so much awesome crammed into that tiny little car
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2007 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NICE!!!

Now let's get to the "nose job"
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2007 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! That actually does look better. But it was already gold...now it's platinum.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2007 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MadArch Tweaking 409: 1A

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 12-15-2007).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2007 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
MadArch Tweaking 409:1B

Original:

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 12-16-2007).]

timwdegner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2007 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curious ... would you consider Lexan for the rear glass in this configuration? I ask simply because I imagine it'd be lighter and cheaper for anyone who wants to follow your design. I don't have any idea how Lexan would react to engine heat, but I would think that rear glass would be a great place for Lexan since it's not too vulnerable to being scratched.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2007 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timwdegner:

Curious ... would you consider Lexan for the rear glass in this configuration? I ask simply because I imagine it'd be lighter and cheaper for anyone who wants to follow your design. I don't have any idea how Lexan would react to engine heat, but I would think that rear glass would be a great place for Lexan since it's not too vulnerable to being scratched.

That was part of the major issue in the begining on this build....no basic shape or conture to follow.

Example:

Pretty hard trying create a "shape" w/o a true glass to follow; made harder using a Lexan glass that doesn't have a "formed" shape. Therefore your forced to make a frame w/o a true shape and curviture. This is the same "issues" with all homebrew choptops...."You need a stuctured window first, then build the car around it."

Example: Front windshield. The car's front original window frame was restructured around the Eclipse front windshield, impossible to perform w/o a strutured window. Using this example for the rear, it would be time consuming to follow w/o a structured glass.

Window frame: notice the contured upper portion and less contured bottom half.

Keep in mind, you'd still need the Lexan as a mock-up and possibly messing up one or maybe two sets. Like I stated, >Lexan ain't cheap. Granted, once you've created a mold based upon the shape/curviture of 350Z glass....I'm guessing you could; but why?

Why so? Price. Lexan isn't cheap. Compare that to the cost of a used 350Z glass from a junk yard, you'd fare better in the long run using the 350Z glass. Granted, a new glass is about $275 in CA due to the electric defogger. That maybe a issue if you live in New York were a rear defogger is required by law. That complicates the issue using a Lexan window.

Weight factor. The 350Z glass isn't that heavy, but if weight reduction is, then Lexan is the better choice. Scratching; that's no issue. The 350Z glass is OEM but, that's not the case using Lexan.

Heat; I will eventually see once I have the car back in CA since the OEM glass was originally made for the rear 350Z car and not over a heated Northstar.

However, Archie and I agree there shouldn't be any issues since the 350Z glass is placed up and away from the engine bay. If it works for the 360 rear window and even for others using a smaller/closer Fiero window over their 3800SC I guess I shouldn't have any issues. However, I thank you for asking the question.

Edit: A better choice now is a custom made glass that is similar in shape/curviture, but a bit shorter in lenght. However, due to the situation of this build, that wasn't gonna happen. Somebody else can take it from here.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 12-18-2007).]

diabloscott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2007 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for diabloscottSend a Private Message to diabloscottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love what you are doing with this car. I would love to see your next one with a stretch for an even more exotic look.

Scott

[This message has been edited by diabloscott (edited 12-16-2007).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2007 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by diabloscott:

I love what you are doing with this car. I would love to see your next one with a stretch for an even more exotic look.
Scott

I agree, IMO a stretch Fiero widebody would look far sweeter than a replica Lambo, but for some reason some prefer a fake Lambo and refuse to think or believe in themselves. If I had the monies, I'd get a Held cradle, LS7, Porsche tranny, and head straight to Archie's, stretch the MadArch kit just like you've photoshop the pic.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock