Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  F40 replica pics (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
F40 replica pics by ferrobi
Started on: 01-12-2006 03:34 PM
Replies: 517 (77947 views)
Last post by: dobie1 on 04-17-2024 09:37 PM
ferrobi

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2007 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spent part of the day shining up extra rear Compomtive rims

IP: Logged
ferrobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2007 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some old pics but what a great day it was - Delivery man and my first time in seat.

Also car during build - Who's that guy?

FieroWannaBe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2007 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.kingdomcustoms.com/products/ka004.shtml
this look like th best interior I've seen.
CoryFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2007 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice, what part of Ohio are you from?
ferrobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2007 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoryFiero:

Very nice, what part of Ohio are you from?

Thank's

[This message has been edited by ferrobi (edited 10-15-2011).]

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2007 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ferrobi:

Also car during build - Who's that guy?

Let me guess

Archie
ferrobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2007 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Let me guess

Archie

Right and I am saving for that V8 swap. Little unsure about Getrag handling the power of a LS1 though.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2007 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Right and I am saving for that V8 swap. Little unsure about Getrag handling the power of a LS1 though.

Have faith. You have a very low mileage car & Getrag there, I think it'll hold up just fine.

Archie
ferrobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about an LS2 - will Getrag handle that?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What about an LS2 - will Getrag handle that?

I think it will. Your car has what maybe 20K miles by now? That transmission is like new yet.

If you drive it like an adult it should hold up just fine. If you turn it over to some 16 year old on Prom night, he'll tear it up.

Archie
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is another interior I really like, it's not as authentic as the PISA or similar (which would probably work better on an F40, since the real car is pretty spartan with CF and seams everywhere), but it's a really nice looking interior:

//www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...rior/cool_dash-4.jpg
//www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...rior/cool_dash-6.jpg
//www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...r/cool_dash-door.jpg

(I found this in the Pennocks gallery)

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 03-04-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
ferrobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

I think it will. Your car has what maybe 20K miles by now? That transmission is like new yet.

If you drive it like an adult it should hold up just fine. If you turn it over to some 16 year old on Prom night, he'll tear it up.

Archie

OK let me get this straight - with an ls1 or ls2 their Torque is higher than what Getrag is rated for. So if i mash the pedal with either of these engines their is the possibility that i will destroy Getrag. So to be safe i should not try to beat anyone who pulls up next to me at a stoplight.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2007 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OK let me get this straight - with an ls1 or ls2 their Torque is higher than what Getrag is rated for. So if i mash the pedal with either of these engines their is the possibility that i will destroy Getrag. So to be safe i should not try to beat anyone who pulls up next to me at a stoplight.

Nope......... what I'm saying is that, as you're setting there waiting for the light to change, you shouldn't rev it up to 5 grand & then sidestep the clutch when the light turns green. I would feel safe to bring it up to like 2000 to 2500rpm & then let the clutch out as fast as you can while keeping your foot on the pedal & pushing down the throttle. Then the next thing you'll have to do is let up on the gas a bit to get the tires to stop spinning.

I know it sounds a bit complicated but it will come naturally after you've done it a few times.

You could take it out with your 12" wide tires and rev it up to 6K & dump the clutch 20 or 30 or 40 or 100 times without the driveline shock breaking it. BUT just like any other car, it'll break sooner or later.

Now there's going to be 20 people who jump into this thread now & claim the thing will break the 1st time out but they don't have one & likely have never driven one.

You remember when you were at my shop. I showed you a set of 345-40-17" that I had once had on the back of my F-40. You'll remember that those carcasses were bald. You'll also remember that I told you that, in the mid '90's, I took those tires from brand new to bald in 5 weeks with a SBC & an Isuzu 5 speed. That was back in the day when the Isuzu was 10 years newer than it is now & a 100000 miles less used than they are now. Your car has a Getrag 5 speed & if I recall correctly you had either 6000 or 8000 miles on the donor car when we put the body on it. The way you love that car & treat it so kindly, I doubt that you have any more than 16K on it now. 16K is notihing on a Getrag, you'll be just fine.

Archie
ferrobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2007 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank's Archie - that explains things better.

------------------

Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2007 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here is a real F40 dash

The F40 dash looks pretty simple in design that you could probably build your own without too much trouble. BTW, Your car looks great!

ferrobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2007 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

The F40 dash looks pretty simple in design that you could probably build your own without too much trouble. BTW, Your car looks great!

I would rather not try and build myself - I don't like fiberglass fumes and it is way out of my skill level.

But I've heard you make interiors for replicas and have mated your console to the Euro dash.
If so i may be interested in your console in the future.
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2007 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
have you read this thread on interiors?

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/060036.html
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2007 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would rather not try and build myself - I don't like fiberglass fumes and it is way out of my skill level.

But I've heard you make interiors for replicas and have mated your console to the Euro dash.
If so i may be interested in your console in the future.

Yes, The owner of this Mera has a PISA dash & made the mods needed to fit my console; he did a good job. The issue is that the radio in the Pisa dash is a little too close to the tunnel leaving very little space beneath. Here's his link:

http://www.ironmanarmory.co...rrari/merarrari.html

The F40 dash looks similar to the 308 but without the radio section. What do you have planned for the doors? Carbon fiber cards?

Rob
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2007 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Ferrobi, what type of material is the front bumbers' black air defuser made of? Plastic or figerglass? I know Norm makes the part so I'm guessing that it's made of figerglass? Enquiring minds would like to know, hehe.

Also: Does your car have this equipment on the front suspension?

http://www.naerc.com/html/c...nsion_kits/index.cfm

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-08-2007).]

zetabird

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2007 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice ive always liked tha f-40 fieros maby il have to stop by norms shop sometime and check out the one he has if he still has it. hes not to far from me
ferrobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2007 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The F40 dash looks similar to the 308 but without the radio section. What do you have planned for the doors? Carbon fiber cards?

Rob

I was going to use the door panels that come with the euro dash but they aren't my favorite so i'm open to suggestions. Something along the lines of carbon fiber would be great because that is what the later F40's had.
PFF
System Bot
ferrobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2007 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Hey Ferrobi, what type of material is the front bumbers' black air defuser made of? Plastic or figerglass? I know Norm makes the part so I'm guessing that it's made of figerglass? Enquiring minds would like to know, hehe.

Also: Does your car have this equipment on the front suspension?

http://www.naerc.com/html/c...nsion_kits/index.cfm

Front air diffuser is fiberglass
Suspension is stock and sucks compared to my 88 Formula. I want to do suspension/brakes when I swap engine for LS2. I have looked at HT Motorports stuff and until you mentioned it I had forgot about NAERC.

Rob
ferrobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2007 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was out to see car today - its being stored out of my garage to give me 308 replica rebuild space.

Lonely winter storage.

Some more pics with little more detail

ferrobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2007 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ferrobi

624 posts
Member since Jan 2005
My niece practicing for her license.

[This message has been edited by ferrobi (edited 03-17-2007).]

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2007 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya know Ferrabi you could probably build this dash without using fiberglass, and instead use acrylic plastic, plywood, balsa, & bondo. I sketched the dash using photos from my Ferrari V8 book. The good thing about this dash is that it is not very complex in shape & detail. Foam is easy to carve but you would have to follow it up with a skin of glass & resin. Rob

ferrobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2007 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ya know Ferrabi you could probably build this dash without using fiberglass, and instead use acrylic plastic, plywood, balsa, & bondo. I sketched the dash using photos from my Ferrari V8 book. The good thing about this dash is that it is not very complex in shape & detail. Foam is easy to carve but you would have to follow it up with a skin of glass & resin. Rob

My list of projects is HUGE - Home stuff, 308 re-build, business to run. So I'm just going to have to shell out some money for the Pisa dash.

Rob
Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2007 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You'll be happy with it - I installed their kit along with door panels in my 328. Not too tough to install, but definitely more than a simple one-afternoon job. Allow about 10 hours, give or take.
ferrobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2007 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amida - how about some custom carbon fiber door panels like this VERY exact F40 Replica. Do you do anything like this.

And the rest of Wolfgang Shultz's car at Carlisle '95

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2007 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Real nice. Did he make his own interior? How many different door styles does the F40 have? This one is different from the one above. It appears to be screwed onto the door frame along the edges which will make things simpler.

ferrobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2007 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Real nice. Did he make his own interior? How many different door styles does the F40 have? This one is different from the one above. It appears to be screwed onto the door frame along the edges which will make things simpler.

His is a custom door panel on a fiero - good but not great. Your pic is of real F40 door like this one

Above is what i would like to try and do or have someone do.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2007 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny, that rudimentary pull cable reminds me of when I used to take the bus to college. Do you have a few more pics of the door? I wonder if the door card is one whole piece. I've been studying a little on CF techniques, pretty high tech stuff that these racers & aerospace companies use.

PFF
System Bot
AquaHusky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2007 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AquaHuskySend a Private Message to AquaHuskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it me, or is that front overhang really long?

Edit: I seem to be doing this a lot lately.. But, you said Compomotive makes those wheels? They are one of the best designs I've seen since the Torque Thrust Ds.

[This message has been edited by AquaHusky (edited 03-17-2007).]

ferrobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2007 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do you have a few more pics of the door? I wonder if the door card is one whole piece. I've been studying a little on CF techniques, pretty high tech stuff that these racers & aerospace companies use.

I don't have more pictures and I think the door card is one piece. Since the real one has a hollow door - not much inside it - it has the cut out and access to door pull. Now a fiero has all sorts of stuff behind door panels so i'm thinking of making a mold of fiero door skin and then lay one up with carbon fiber. Now i have to clarify that i think the real one is Kevlar material but carbon fiber is fine too. It doesn't have to look just like the real one but a flat piece of CF and interior door handle area (pull + locks) would be nice. Maybe eliminate armrest also.

Rob
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2007 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida - how about some custom carbon fiber door panels like this VERY exact F40 Replica. Do you do anything like this.

And the rest of Wolfgang Shultz's car at Carlisle '95

who makes that kit, that is the best F40 ive seen yet

[This message has been edited by FieroWannaBe (edited 03-18-2007).]

ferrobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2007 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

who makes that kit, that is the best F40 ive seen yet

Yep its exact, but with only 3 built i don't see anyone getting their hands on one.
normsf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2007 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for normsfClick Here to visit normsf's HomePageSend a Private Message to normsfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello as said before its Wolfgangs car. Its not built to fit on a stock fiero chassis as its lenghten and cut down in the back window area. As far as I know hes out of business nor do I know where the molds are just that he owes me for three rear louvered windows but that was a long time ago. Thanks Norm

------------------
Norm Vandermee

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been working with 355 type door panels and it seems that the open panel look of the F40 can be achieved without hollowing out the door. The Fiero door card is normally about 5/8" thick, so if you space it out a little along with adding a slight bow in the card you can create an opening with some visual depth. Lining the inside with a darker CF cloth can also create more visual depth. F40 panels are fastened with external screws so mounting would be simple enough.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 03-20-2007).]

ferrobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2007 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've been working with 355 type door panels and it seems that the open panel look of the F40 can be achieved without hollowing out the door. The Fiero door card is normally about 5/8" thick, so if you space it out a little along with adding a slight bow in the card you can create an opening with some visual depth. Lining the inside with a darker CF cloth can also create more visual depth. F40 panels are fastened with external screws so mounting would be simple enough.

Looks good - nice ideas. I suggest you practice on your CF skills so you can make me some.

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2007 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was planning on experimenting with CF. Very expensive stuff. My local supplier had a segment on clearance at $30/yard, but I think I have to buy the whole segment; maybe a few yards. Since the lay of the fabric is so important in clear coated CF parts that I can already tell it'll be tricky working in corners. Most likely will have to use a vacuum bagging system. Hi-tech prepregs actually stick to the moulds which helps lay-up but one thing that I don't have access to is a hi-temp autoclave for curing. Good thing about interior parts is that they're not structural, so epoxy systems are not really necessary. I'll look more into it.

How about a map pocket? Too out of line maybe.

ferrobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2007 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"How about a map pocket? Too out of line maybe."

I think keeping it as simple is possible would be better. I'm starting to think on getting a flat sheet of carbon fiber already finished just like the interior pieces you buy to go around the dash like i have and trimming that to the door dimensions. Tricky part will be top - rest of it really could be just flat. I think - maybe. I gotta see who sells carbon fiber in pre-finished large sheets.

Where there is a will there is a way.

Rob
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock