Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  3.4L pushrod Swap (lots of pics) (Page 12)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
3.4L pushrod Swap (lots of pics) by sardonyx247
Started on: 05-23-2004 02:00 PM
Replies: 618 (104750 views)
Last post by: Notorio on 02-14-2021 11:28 PM
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2007 03:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wahoo page 12

Originally posted by FierOmar:

If you count PIP (Projects In Progress), you can add two; one 88 GT that will use a nearly stock 3.4; and an 87 coupe that will use a carb'd 3.4 that will be built close to ORIEF's specs.

Cool 2 more 3.4s about to be on the road.

I should be finishing up another 3.4 swap tonight.
I will have more pics to post of some of the 3.4 swaps I have been doing. I need to get them off another computer and get back to my high speed, dial up sucks.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!!
Las Vegas Fiero Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 07-30-2007).]

IP: Logged
Waerloga

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2007 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WaerlogaSend a Private Message to WaerlogaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so I put the belt on and it seemed to run fine for a little while.
But the second time I tried to start it it had a really hard time turning over. Not sure why.

Now the real problem, the second time I ran the car, it wouldn't cool properly. In fact, the water in the reservoir in the front of the car was boiling. Yes, actually boiling.
So I am going to change the thermostat. But what else could cause this problem? Also how hard is it to change the starter.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2007 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Waerloga:

Ok so I put the belt on and it seemed to run fine for a little while.
But the second time I tried to start it it had a really hard time turning over. Not sure why.

Now the real problem, the second time I ran the car, it wouldn't cool properly. In fact, the water in the reservoir in the front of the car was boiling. Yes, actually boiling.
So I am going to change the thermostat. But what else could cause this problem? Also how hard is it to change the starter.

the starter is easy, (after doing one) but you have to get to it from under the car. Hard time starting might be just a low battery. when you fill it, open the thermastat cap and the front rad cap, fill from the back, when water starts to come out the front, cap it. Then fill it up from the back.

Make sure you have the belt tight, as a loose belt won't charge right and won't cool right.
Waerloga

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2007 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WaerlogaSend a Private Message to WaerlogaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, great that seemed to solver the problem.

So, considering that the interior of the car is.. missing is a good way to put it. Can I simply remove the sensor that I pointed to in the picture? Is it just for the gauges that I don't have or does it send something to the ECU?

Also thanks for the filling instructions. That solved the problem.
my-fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2007 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for my-fieroSend a Private Message to my-fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 3.4 swap
after several years, time to finish the project.
And a lot of help to read this topic

David DeVoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2007 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David DeVoeSend a Private Message to David DeVoeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Fiero, did you make those vacuum lines? I know there was one member here using aluminum tube to make them up. Looks good, real good.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2007 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
VERY NICE!
Good work and you will like having the engine painetd silver. (easy to find any oil leaks)

When it's done drive over to Dusseldorf and convince Yellowstone to get started on a 3.4 swap
my-fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2007 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for my-fieroSend a Private Message to my-fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David DeVoe:

My Fiero, did you make those vacuum lines? I know there was one member here using aluminum tube to make them up. Looks good, real good.

No I ditn't make those lines, the vacuum lines come from http://www.rodneydickman.com/

Originally posted by randye:

VERY NICE!
Good work and you will like having the engine painetd silver. (easy to find any oil leaks)

When it's done drive over to Dusseldorf and convince Yellowstone to get started on a 3.4 swap

First I had the engine painted black, but then I can not see any oil leaks, so I used silver. ( and it is better than black)
If the fiero is ready I drive to Yellowstone!!! I have to try it on the german highway
my-fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2007 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for my-fieroSend a Private Message to my-fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some more photo's of last week

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2007 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, I need to install the Trueleo and the 1:1.6 roller rockers I have lying around... and I'm bringing the parts for the Archie big brake conversion back when I go to the US in 3 weeks. So I'll be busy, don't worry!

My-fiero: Very nice work! When you find the time, update the pix on your website... :-)

Originally posted by randye:

perry rhodan

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2007 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump!!
PFF
System Bot
DarkRanger4200

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DarkRanger4200Click Here to visit DarkRanger4200's HomePageSend a Private Message to DarkRanger4200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any one have a price list or total for how much the conversion cost them? I'm hope to do a 3.4 swap just what to know what the necessary parts cost to do the conversion, and do any of the fuel or coolant lines need to be changed?
DarkRanger4200

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarkRanger4200Click Here to visit DarkRanger4200's HomePageSend a Private Message to DarkRanger4200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this is probably a dumb question but should you use the 3.4 heads or 2.8? im assuming the 3.4 is better, and what about the lower intake manifold should you use the 3.4 or 2.8?
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2007 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DarkRanger4200:

any one have a price list or total for how much the conversion cost them? I'm hope to do a 3.4 swap just what to know what the necessary parts cost to do the conversion, and do any of the fuel or coolant lines need to be changed?

The first time it cost me under $900 including powdercoating, painting etc.
No fuel lines or coolent lines have to be changed.

I know this is probably a dumb question but should you use the 3.4 heads or 2.8? im assuming the 3.4 is better, and what about the lower intake manifold should you use the 3.4 or 2.8?

They are the same heads on both the Fiero 2.8 and the 3.4. They are both the H.O. (High Output) heads.

Reading through my thread would have giving you answers to all your questions.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
Las Vegas Fiero Club

eldervampire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2007 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eldervampireSend a Private Message to eldervampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sardonyx,

Man, you are my hero.
I was given a link here, and he was right. This has to be the best 3.4 swap writeup there is. Anyone turbo one yet?
I know about the Bird pulling almost 400 torque, and thats what I'll be looking to as my goal.

+ for you man, great job
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2007 06:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by eldervampire:

Sardonyx,

Man, you are my hero.
I was given a link here, and he was right. This has to be the best 3.4 swap writeup there is. Anyone turbo one yet?
I know about the Bird pulling almost 400 torque, and thats what I'll be looking to as my goal.

+ for you man, great job

Thanks

Originally posted by eldervampire:
Anyone turbo one yet?

Yes

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
Las Vegas Fiero Club

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2007 06:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Here are some pics of the swaps we did last summer in Vegas.
The digi camera was not very good quality and I didn't even have access to it except for the later swaps.
But neverless here are some pics.

To go into this Fiero

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
Las Vegas Fiero Club

my-fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2007 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for my-fieroSend a Private Message to my-fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

what about the lower intake manifold should you use the 3.4 or 2.8?

------------------
Fiero GT 1988 2.8V6
Fiero GT 1987 3.4V6 T-top in progress
Buick roadmaster 1956 5.3V8

my_fiero@hotmail.com
www.my-fiero.com

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2007 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More pics as it was going in

A good way to keep from nicking your intake

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2007 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
Las Vegas Fiero Club

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2007 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Here is the swap we did for Rich (Vegas Club Pres.)

With some ported manifolds

PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2007 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

To go in this 88GT

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
Las Vegas Fiero Club

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2007 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003
In the car

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2007 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Here are some more misc. pics of the starter holes and A/C bracket needed for the mod.

You can use a pilot hole and then drill from the top, as the top is flat and not at an angle.

You can also test it to see how many shims you might need

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2007 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Here is the A/C bracket, I found a bigger bolt and tapped the hole for it.

And drilled out the hole on the bracket.
Before

After

And on the car

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
Las Vegas Fiero Club

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2007 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another 3.4L swap
This GIRL had her Fiero transported from OR down to Vegas so we could do a 3.4 swap in it.

Here is the bottom end of a 3.4L just compare it to a 2.8 and you will see the difference,
Its like comparing a duke to a superduty.
(anyone want to send me a pic of the bottom end of a 2.8 so I can put the pics side by side?)

The pile of parts to go on the 3.4

The engine going in

And in the car

It went into this Fiero

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
Las Vegas Fiero Club

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 10-13-2007).]

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2007 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those were some of the engine swaps that I was working on this last summer.
I did 7 this last summer counting mine, well 1 was a 2.8 swap.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
Las Vegas Fiero Club

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 10-16-2007).]

McNasty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2007 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for McNastySend a Private Message to McNastyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I know these swaps are usually done with engines that have been pulled from old camaros and firebirds.
looking aroudnd I found this:

http://www.rebuiltcarengines.com/ce06.html

would this be the same engine as the one used but it's new and being sold as a replacement for an s10 upgrade. and if not what would it take tp install this engine.
just a question sorry if this was already discussed somewhere else,
thanks guys
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2007 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by McNasty:

So I know these swaps are usually done with engines that have been pulled from old camaros and firebirds.
looking aroudnd I found this:

http://www.rebuiltcarengines.com/ce06.html

would this be the same engine as the one used but it's new and being sold as a replacement for an s10 upgrade. and if not what would it take tp install this engine.
just a question sorry if this was already discussed somewhere else,
thanks guys

That is the same thing execpt that one looks like it has a bigger cam in it.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
Las Vegas Fiero Club

McNasty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2007 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for McNastySend a Private Message to McNastyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cool thanks that's great news I'll probably be putting a 3.4 in the next year or so...
compliments on this great thread,
very very very informative
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have alot of pics still to post of the lastest 3.4 that went into MY Fiero. After 3 years and 60,000 miles later. I decided to rebuild mine up as far as I could.
Pics will be posted soon.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
Las Vegas Fiero Club

PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2007 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are the pics of my build, this time around, I added a few upgrades since last time.

My intake with the powdercoat and polish intact. (a little dusty)

The pile of parts to go back on the engine

My new FORGED pistons

I polished the rod beams for added strengh and lighter weight.

My piston, rod, rings, and pin as a set, all weigh within a gram of each other.

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2007 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003
My ported and polished heads, with a 4 angle valve job.
I ported the intakes, and a mirror polish on the exhaust ports and combustion chambers.

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2007 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Carving in oil groves for better oil flow.

The block with new bearings

Assembeld with the new forged pistons

All oil returns are duburred

The bottom end

The 3.1 crank (that is what is used in 3.4Ls)

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 10-20-2007).]

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2007 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003
My double rollor timing set.
The chain is pre-stretched, so no worry about slack later on.
each link has a rollor on it, so the teeth roll on the chain and are not just sitting on the chain.

A new coat of paint, as the hot tank ate my old paint.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
Las Vegas Fiero Club

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2007 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003
With most everything on the engine

topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2007 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good! When are we going to see it with the turbo?
alex de jorge

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2007 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I have finally finished my swap. After starting in March and being side tracked, I finished it this morning. I am extremely happy about this. The best thing is that it started right up on the first try and was pretty much in timing. Although I haven't driven it yet ( Car is at my shop), I will come Monday and will post my experience. I will also post pics. Many thanks to Sardonyx and Randye for all the help.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2007 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by alex de jorge:

Well, I have finally finished my swap. After starting in March and being side tracked, I finished it this morning. I am extremely happy about this. The best thing is that it started right up on the first try and was pretty much in timing. Although I haven't driven it yet ( Car is at my shop), I will come Monday and will post my experience. I will also post pics. Many thanks to Sardonyx and Randye for all the help.

Thats cool you got yours done, another 3.4L Fiero on the road
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2007 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003
My metal vacume lines
You can get the tubbing from a hobby store for less than $10.
There is a thread on this here which gives you basic idea
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-1-061913.html

My Ceramic boot spark plug wires

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 10-20-2007).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock