Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  3.4L pushrod Swap (lots of pics) (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
3.4L pushrod Swap (lots of pics) by sardonyx247
Started on: 05-23-2004 02:00 PM
Replies: 618 (104730 views)
Last post by: Notorio on 02-14-2021 11:28 PM
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2004 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by m0sh_man:

can you post a picture of what your manifolds look like now after the car has been run to temp and it burned the paint off?

matthew

I will have to get a pic in the daylight.

Originally posted by shawnkfl:

how much would you charge for a copy of those pics on a cd?? i'd love to have them for reference

I could put all of the full size pics (3MegaPixel, 2720 x 2040 Pixels) on a CD for .....hows $10 shipped sound?

------------------
'84 Fiero Sport Quad 4 coming soon
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!!
http://www.lasvegasfieroclub.com/

IP: Logged
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2004 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by m0sh_man:

can you post a picture of what your manifolds look like now after the car has been run to temp and it burned the paint off?

matthew

Some of it has come off, but it still has a blue tint to it.

Another pic of the engine in the Fiero.

------------------

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 10-11-2005).]

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2004 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 12-08-2004).]

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2005 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see people asking all kinds of questions about the 3.4L swap so a bump to those who missed this.

------------------

88fieroformula

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2005 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88fieroformulaClick Here to visit 88fieroformula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88fieroformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, your engine is so nice and clean. Mine is at home waiting for me to get started on it. Nice work. Thanks for alla the pics, they should come in very useful as I begin my swap.

------------------
'89 LX Coupe 5.0
In loving memory of Israel Perez 1985-2004

'89 LX coupe 5.0 PICSMy old '88 Formula

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2005 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great work. But you spent a lot of time on the engine and powdercoating all the eingine dres parts. but you missed a lot of key parts that i know i look for. engine cradle, a arms, BATTERY TRAY RUST WTF. All in all love the color and it sucks your paint is falling off your manifolds. It will fall off your egr valve too, it did to me. Great job. I am working on a timeing issue my self at the moment.
88fieroformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2005 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88fieroformulaClick Here to visit 88fieroformula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88fieroformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
***Bump***
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2005 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The paint on my rear control arms is not bad anyway, it is just dirt in those pics. They cleaned up nicely and are black again.

------------------

88gtNewb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2005 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88gtNewbClick Here to visit 88gtNewb's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88gtNewbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, just saw this. Very clean install, and good documentation for people like me looking to do a 3.4 swap.
Kudos to you!
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2005 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks

------------------

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2005 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If this thread has helped anyone please post comments.

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 07-27-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
fierolover87

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2005 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover87Send a Private Message to fierolover87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right now I'm serving a mission for the LDS church in IL., but as soon as I get home to Las Vegas in a year, I'd love to get together with you all and buy another fiero and do this to it. Man I've always loved all four of the fieros I had, and when I get home, I hope I can get together with ya'll.

-Mike

fierolover87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2005 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover87Send a Private Message to fierolover87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierolover87

192 posts
Member since Feb 2002
By the way, on the 14th-15th, there's gonna be an auto show here in my area here in IL. that I will be attending. If anyone is there on the 15th, I'll be hard to miss. Just look for two guys in white shirts and ties with black nametags.

-Mike

BrewCheese

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2005 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey FieroLover were in IL??

Thanks,
Jason

NewGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2005 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewGTSend a Private Message to NewGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sardonyx

Just completed a 3.4 swap using a 70K mile 1995 Firebird 3.4 engine. I printed out your build and used it during the entire swap. It really helped tremendously.

I used Rodney's Jig for the starter bolt alignment - it was dead on - it shimmed exactly as it was with the 2.8 and the gear teeth meshed perfectly the first time. If anybody decides to do this, just remember to use plenty of cutting oil (I used 3in1 oil) to keep the drill bits and taps from binding and cracking. I also recommend using a Melling high-flow oil pump - it is available from Autozone for less money than the stock pump for some reason - you'll need to use the 3.4 syphon tube as the 2.8 tube is a smaller diameter.

The part number for the flywheel was a particular lifesaver as I did not have a neutrally balanced flywheel.

Some other helpful advice I learned - remove the rear main seal by drilling a small hole into the flat of the seal (be careful of the bearing surface) tap a screw into the hole and give a yank with a pair of pump pliers - it comes right out! You can drive the seal in easily with a short length of 3" Schedule 40 PVC pipe a block of wood and a hammer. The pipe fits perfectly over the seal.

I ultrasonic cleaned all of the Firebird fuel injectors, ported my exhaust headers and ports, gasket matched the entire intake from the throttle body to the heads and installed 1.6 ratio rockers during the build - I figure the engine should be putting out 180-190 HP. I also used Rodney's Poly Motor and Trans Mounts - their quality is top-notch. Don't forget to buy his brass adapter for the oil pressure sending unit, it's only a couple of dollars. A new clutch assembly went in also. A new timing chain, chain damper, water pump, distributor, Accel 8.8 ignition wires and coil were used also.

Finally, check your 3.4 carefully - after reassembling mine and putting it back in the Fiero, I cranked it with the ignition wire to distributor disconnected to build up pressure and lubricate everything prior to starting up - and oil came pouring out from between the trans and engine rear. I was working in 95° weather most of the time and never noticed that an oil galley plug was missing from the rear of the engine - I spent an entire day pulling the motor out, fixing a new plug and reinstalling. My recommendation is to pressure check everything using a drill to drive the oil pump while the engine is still on the stand - can save a lot of unnecessary work.

[This message has been edited by NewGT (edited 07-27-2005).]

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2005 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You don't need a starter jig. I have done two without, both came out perfect.
And for the adapter for the oil sender if you have A/C.
You can get one at Pep Boys Auto Parts, MotorMite# 43228, it is labeled 5/16" to 1/4".
fierolover87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2005 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover87Send a Private Message to fierolover87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jason (BrewCheese),
Here's the info from NIFE on the show.

August 14-15, 2005 15th annual Indian Uprising All Pontiac Car Show sponsored by Cruisin' Tiger's GTO Club at the Kane County Events Center (on Kirk Road/Farnsworth just south of Route 38).

Mike

goatnipples2002

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2005 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

This plug caused me the MOST trouble.
It is a plug you need to swap with a sensor on the other head.
It is smaller than a 3/8 ratchet, so I had to grind down an extention, but I broke that three times, then I tried a craftsman extention and broke that too, I ended up sticking a magnet on the head and drilling it out. I put in the sensor and just put in a broken sensor on the other side so I could get it out if I ever wanted.
Snap-on sells a tool made for this for $12.95 so If you ever do this type of swap I recomend getting this socket. (you can order online) I just did not have time to wait and destroyed the plug trying. Most come out no problem, just not mine.

Here is the plug

And the sensor

I'm about to do this swap in a couple of months and just am trying to work out ALL the details. Now why did you transfer this sensor and plug if you didn't need it anyway?

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2005 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by goatnipples2002:

I'm about to do this swap in a couple of months and just am trying to work out ALL the details. Now why did you transfer this sensor and plug if you didn't need it anyway?

Well the sensor on the 3.4L you can leave in to fill the hole if you want. But the plug you have to pull out. It is where a temp sensor goes. (this sensor controls the temp guage and the temp light) it is the sensor by the coil in the corner of the head on the 2.8L. On the 3.4L it has a plug, so you need to transfer the sensor from the 2.8L to where the pulg is on the 3.4L.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined

goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2005 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well the sensor on the 3.4L you can leave in to fill the hole if you want. But the plug you have to pull out. It is where a temp sensor goes. (this sensor controls the temp guage and the temp light) it is the sensor by the coil in the corner of the head on the 2.8L. On the 3.4L it has a plug, so you need to transfer the sensor from the 2.8L to where the pulg is on the 3.4L.

I am going to be using a brand new 3.4 shortblock from napa and the heads from 1 of my 2.8s. Since I am using the 2.8 heads with the sensor could I skip that step? Is there another sensor in the block like a cam or crank sensor that I will have to plug? I will be working with a brand new bottom end so I am not sure what will come with it.

I heard about having to drill out a hole in the bellhousing, did you do that? Do you have pics of what hole to drill out?

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2005 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am going to be using a brand new 3.4 shortblock from napa and the heads from 1 of my 2.8s. Since I am using the 2.8 heads with the sensor could I skip that step? Is there another sensor in the block like a cam or crank sensor that I will have to plug? I will be working with a brand new bottom end so I am not sure what will come with it.

I heard about having to drill out a hole in the bellhousing, did you do that? Do you have pics of what hole to drill out?

The 2.8 head won't have a plug there, and may even still have the sensor in it. No plug to remove, just make sure the sensor is there and working.

There are both a cam and crank sensor on the 3.4 block. The cam sensor is just below where the thermostat will go, and the crank sensor is in the side of the block near the oil filter. My 3.4 came out of a car and had the sensors in it, so I just unplugged them and left them there to fill the holes. I believe West Coast Fiero sells plugs meant to eliminate those sensors.

As for the bell housing, you shouldn't have to mess with it at all. All the work is done on the block. You will have to drill and tap new starter holes on the other side of the block (oil filter side) and, IF you are using an automatic, you will have to grind off some of the block to clear the auto tranny. Sardonyx has pictures of it a few pages back in this thread.

PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2005 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The last thing that I had to do pertaining to the 3.4L swap. The bottom rightmost bolt hole in the 3.4L block is threaded, where as the 2.8L is NOT. The threads have to be drilled out so the bolt can pass through and go into the threads on the transmission. I used a 1/2in bit, which was about the size of the hole on the 2.8L

Still with the threads

After it has been drilled

[/QUOTE]

These pics were posted a few pages back.

goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2005 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will be getting the Rodney starter relocation kit, so the starter is not an issue for me. Just the little bugs that bite you in the ass. I was wondering are the timing chain, gear and cam gear the same for all 60* V6s? As far as the driveline shock is concerned do you have more detailed pictures of that install? My car DID have A/C but I yanked it. Will that matter for the driveline mounting?

[This message has been edited by goatnipples2002 (edited 07-31-2005).]

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2005 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I will be getting the Rodney starter relocation kit, so the starter is not an issue for me. Just the little bugs that bite you in the ass. I was wondering are the timing chain, gear and cam gear the same for all 60* V6s? As far as the driveline shock is concerned do you have more detailed pictures of that install? My car DID have A/C but I yanked it. Will that matter for the driveline mounting?

I think the GM crate engines 3.4L come with the starter holes allready drilled, as they sell it as an upgrade for a S10. The shock mount will bolt right up to the block useing 2 of the 3 holes. If you DON'T have A/C then just bolt it up no mod there. You don't need the starter jig, it is EASY to do without one.

I am about to start another 3.4L swap too.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 08-01-2005).]

goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2005 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think the GM crate engines 3.4L come with the starter holes allready drilled, as they sell it as an upgrade for a S10. The shock mount will bolt right up to the block useing 2 of the 3 holes. If you DON'T have A/C then just bolt it up no mod there. You don't need the starter jig, it is EASY to do without one.

I am about to start another 3.4L swap too.

The gm crate 3.4 cost about 3 times as much as a napa shortblock. I have tried everyawy to get the cheapest swap and have some go fast goodies. I will be getting the spec stage 3, fidanza 8lb flywheel, and I bought an h260 for my 2.8 but will use that on the 3.4. So performance mods are nill. I just want to drive my car again. I don't want to phuk the starter holes up, I'm good at phuking things up.....it's my speciality. I have complete confidence in all the other stuff that is involved with the swap. just the little stuff was confusing.

goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2005 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help guys I will call on your guys help when I start.

[This message has been edited by goatnipples2002 (edited 08-08-2005).]

JKFIERO

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2005 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JKFIEROSend a Private Message to JKFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seeing that I have a GT with a blown motor sitting in my yard, this thread will really come in handy.

On the 3.4s....I always hear people say to use a 93 - 95 camaro.
Will any 93 -95 3.4 work as long as it is GM?

Any 3.4 that WILL NOT work?

And one last question.
If in fact it is a 93 - 95, what would be considered TOO MUCH to pay at a junk yard?

[This message has been edited by JKFIERO (edited 10-09-2005).]

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 05:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 93-95 3.4 Camero/Firebird is the only car I think it came in. The GM crate is sold as an upgrade for the S-10. You want the 3.4 with the iron heads, not aluminum.

Just do what I did, call EVERY yard in the phone book. They varied in price from $400 +$50 core to >$1200. So just call around, some places won't have one, some might have a bunch. They all had different prices.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"

3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2005 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering, what car and year has the best 3.4 engine? I have heard that the FWD cars come a roller cam. Is this true? Will it make or break the swap? I just got an 87 GT and the engine is knocking. So I am going to swap it out for a 3.4.

------------------
WWW.CLEVELANDFIEROS.COM

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/052322.html#lastpost
My rear defuser
It will be painted at the end of summer!

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3.8 SC:

I was wondering, what car and year has the best 3.4 engine? I have heard that the FWD cars come a roller cam. Is this true? Will it make or break the swap? I just got an 87 GT and the engine is knocking. So I am going to swap it out for a 3.4.

Like Sardonyx was saying, the only car that ever came with the 3.4 V6 is the 1993-1995 Camaro/Firebird. They're all the same. Or, you can get the crate engine from GM, but if you put it in a Fiero, it invalidates the warranty because its supposed to be used in a RWD set up, not a FWD one. The 3.1 V6 out of the early 90s minivans had a roller cam stock. Its essentially the same swap, but you can't upgrade the cam and you have less displacement and output. Don't get a 3400 engine or any other like that out of a Grand Am or whatever, they're not even close to the same engine and will not be an easy swap like the Camaro/Firebird 3.4.

goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

Like Sardonyx was saying, the only car that ever came with the 3.4 V6 is the 1993-1995 Camaro/Firebird. They're all the same. Or, you can get the crate engine from GM, but if you put it in a Fiero, it invalidates the warranty because its supposed to be used in a RWD set up, not a FWD one. The 3.1 V6 out of the early 90s minivans had a roller cam stock. Its essentially the same swap, but you can't upgrade the cam and you have less displacement and output. Don't get a 3400 engine or any other like that out of a Grand Am or whatever, they're not even close to the same engine and will not be an easy swap like the Camaro/Firebird 3.4.

on the 3.1 there are more than 1...the iron head 3.1 from lumina APVs and a 3100 in grand ams. I just did the 3.1 swap and put a comp cams 260 in it. it runs like a bat out of hell.

PFF
System Bot
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2005 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TTT
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2006 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 01-10-2006).]

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2006 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I ground down a grade 8 bolt to a square end - inserted it into the plug and turned the wrench - came out no problems

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 01-10-2006).]

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2006 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getting that plug out? Was not so easy for me. I ground down an extension broke that a few times, tried a Craftsman extension, broke that a few times too. Untill it broke off in the plug flush and couldn't get that out. Had to drill it with a magnet to catch the filings. Same thing happened on the next 3.4 Swap I did too. Like I said before, it was the hardest part of the whole swap. And not being too hard the whole swap wasn't bad at all. Next time I will buy the Snap-On tool made for it, they seem to be the only ones who sell one.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 01-11-2006).]

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2006 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found this square shaped tool. I don't know if it was a nail set or some other kind of tap or what, but it was only about 4 inches long and tapered. I just cut it where it tapered the the right size for the plug, then tapped it in and grabbed it with a cresent wrench and unscrewed the plug. Pretty easy once I found the tool.
goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2006 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you use fiero heads as I did then you don't have to worry about the plug.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2006 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never pulled the heads, nor did I want to. They are the same 2.8l HO heads anyway. But I agree with you that would be one way around it.
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2006 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I never pulled the heads, nor did I want to. They are the same 2.8l HO heads anyway. But I agree with you that would be one way around it.

Same here, plenty of work that didn't need to be done. Engine only had 39k miles, no reason to replace the head gaskets.

Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2006 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the great info! You have me really wanting to work on this swap! Way to keep us motivated! I'm using too many sentences that end in exclamation points! Help! I can't stop!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock