Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  3.4L pushrod Swap (lots of pics) (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
3.4L pushrod Swap (lots of pics) by sardonyx247
Started on: 05-23-2004 02:00 PM
Replies: 618 (104760 views)
Last post by: Notorio on 02-14-2021 11:28 PM
bobmarshall

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2004 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bobmarshallSend a Private Message to bobmarshallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am impressed at the amount of detail you put into this swap. It really shows on the final project. Great Job. I did notice that you have not installed your coolant crossover pipe. You probably are already aware of this but just in case you aren't, make sure you install that coolant pipe before you install the engine. In order to install the pipe you have to remove the upper A/C compressor bracket in order to get the pipe in place. If you don't do it now you will mess up the great job you have done on the engine. I just finished replacing my leaking pipe with one of Rodney's SS units. It took me over 18 hours of work to get the pipe in on an installed engine. It would have been easier to drop the entire drivetrain. If you get a replacement unit from Rodney make sure you ask him if the bracket needs to be bent on your application.

Again, great job on the swap.

IP: Logged
Azriel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-05-2004 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AzrielSend a Private Message to AzrielEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the colors you chose. I just go buy tractor paint when I paint an engine. I mix half a pint of aluminum with a quart of any color and get a really nice looking metallic. Last time I did it, it came out powder blue. Don't try that with red. it looks pink no matter how little aluminum you use. =P
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2004 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As Im finishing up my 3.4 swap (3 days!) I can attest to the detail he went into about this swap. EVERY DETAIL IS TRUE. Take my word on it. Not one issue that he stated did not become just that, an issue. I have one detail I must add. If you plan on putting a 3.4 in any 85-86 Fiero, you have to use the Fiero's oil pan as well as the Fiero's timing cover. Or else. Also, be careful not to tighten the starter too much or it will break the casing off the starter. I'll let you know what the performance is like tomarrow, The 2.8 Is still fresh in my mind, I hope the 3.4 friggen boogies, these past 3 days have been hard work.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2004 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm just wondering why you kept the TB metal lines on the engine if you bypassed them at the thermostat housing???
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2004 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took it out for a spin today. WOW. thats all I can say. This engine was a HUGE improvment over the fully match ported 2.8 w/compucam 2030 with ported exhaust manifolds. This Stock 3.4 motor is a Torque monster. Idling in first at 1000 RPM's, you just bury the throttle and it takes off like crazy. I LOVE it now. The only thing that is modified is the lower and middle intakes are gasket matched to eachother and the exhaust manifolds are hogged out. The torque is great, but the engine STRUGGLES to get air in after 4500. I think a custom manifold is in order. The Camaro injectors seem to be perfect for the 2.8's computer so far. I was debaiting on putting in the Compucam 2030 into the 3.4, but after driving the car with the stock cam I realized that that would have been a BIG mistake. The engine has a hard time breathing at 4500 with the stock cam, so at least the performance is good from 3K-4K. The compucam attempts to shift the power band up to where the engine actually can't breathe well. But now I am ecstactic. Again, thank you for this thread. Its like a master refrence for 3.4 swapping.

BTW, 5 quarts with the PF52 Oil filter. ;p

Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2004 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3.4 is pretty cool huh? I thought about a cam too, but KEV and I talked about it and came to the same conclusion as you as well as some other conclusions. Now we just need to get it more air. I'm counting on Francis T coming through with a replacement middle/upper plenum that flows better. Or maybe I'll just save for forced induction...or maybe both
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2004 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did install the coolent crossover pipe, and yes I found out that the front bracket had to come off after the exhaust manifold was on.

I forgot my camera today so no pics as to the progress. I got most of the exhuast, heatsheilds, wireing harness, alternator, coolent crossover pipe, coil, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, egr(including the metal disk for the egr) done today. It takes a little longer to assemble when everything is painted, as not ot scratch it.

I'm glad to see that all of these pics have helped out. I was trying to get as many as I could of different things, so people could use them as a reference, to compare the 2.8L stuff to the 3.4L stuff, to see if your missing a bracket, to see where one goes, etc.....

------------------
'84 Fiero Sport Quad 4 coming soon
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap in progress!!!!!!!!
http://www.lasvegasfieroclub.com/
Rate me if I'm usefull

85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2004 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sardonyx247

I just wanted to compliment you on a great write up you definetly get a + from me and I think we should all give you a + for this tread. Keep up the good work and please keep posting pictures.
I know we all want to know your experience on the first drive.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2004 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
absolute work of art..

especially since i did the same basic thing a couple times

but makes me wonder - am i the only person that does fiero engine swaps/trans swaps/ clutch jobs . out the top without dropping the craddle?

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2004 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

absolute work of art..

especially since i did the same basic thing a couple times

but makes me wonder - am i the only person that does fiero engine swaps/trans swaps/ clutch jobs . out the top without dropping the craddle?

We did the clutch on my wifes Fiero from the top.

------------------
Rate me if I'm usefull

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is where I started today

Progress throughout the day.

Waiting to go in the Fiero.

------------------
Rate me if I'm usefull

PFF
System Bot
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sar,

OH NO!!!!!

After ALLLLLLLL that work and you are just going to throw those dirty old spindles and axles in there without so much as a cleaning?

Come on man, grab some plumbers tape from the local hardware store and put a shine on those axles.

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats gonna cost you points at the WestFest show, not having you're axles powdercoated!

Looking very nice! Hurry up and get it back in the car, only a week and a half till WestFest!

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

Thats gonna cost you points at the WestFest show, not having you're axles powdercoated!

Looking very nice! Hurry up and get it back in the car, only a week and a half till WestFest!

Do you know how much a PITA it would be to powdercoat axles? First you would have to get an oven BIG enough, then strip EVERYTHING off that could not withstand HIGH baking temps for extended periods of time.
I also did not paint anything else on the car either.
Besides my axles will be spinning so fast that I don't want paint flying off.

------------------
Rate me if I'm usefull

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Last Pics before being taken out to my waiting Fiero.

Being taken out of the shop

Going in.
This went about a different way. with the cradle on a pallet instead of just the forks, it didn't fit. As you can see in the next pic.
So instead we set the cradle on the ground, picked up the back of the body with the forklift, slowly wheeled the body over the engine(2nd pic down), set it down over the engine on jack stands, picked up the pallet and slowly lifted the cradle into the Fiero.

As it sits tonight. With just hooking up hoses, wires, etc...left to do.

------------------
Rate me if I'm usefull

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good Vegas! Almost done! You're gonna love that 3.4. Get any bugs worked out quick and get that registration, WestFest is only a week and a half away!
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pics of today during reassambly

Well I'm off to go finsh it. time permitting

------------------
Rate me if I'm usefull

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hope time permits! I want to see you in the Chat tonight telling us how much you like the 3.4 and driving the car again!
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is something I missed.
make sure to put in a NEW O-ring on the distributor, and gasket too.

One last pic before trying to start it up

------------------
Rate me if I'm usefull

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003
IT'S ALIVE
It took a little while to get started. The distributor was 180deg and one tooth out of phase, the starter had to be reshimed (added a couple), and I need a new battery.
The paint on the exhaust manifolds and the anti-seize compond sure smoked off.
Here is a video of the first run and all the smoke.
It is a 10meg file, but if you loaded all of these pics you should be OK
http://www.lasvegasfieroclub.com/3.4L_swap/FirstRun.AVI

I won't get to drive it untill tommorrow. but hey it runs.

------------------
Rate me if I'm usefull

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

IT'S ALIVE
It took a little while to get started. The distributor was 180deg and one tooth out of phase, the starter had to be reshimed (added a couple), and I need a new battery.
The paint on the exhaust manifolds and the anti-seize compond sure smoked off.
Here is a video of the first run and all the smoke.
It is a 10meg file, but if you loaded all of these pics you should be OK
http://www.lasvegasfieroclub.com/3.4L_swap/FirstRun.AVI

I won't get to drive it untill tommorrow. but hey it runs.

Yes!

Always glad to hear a success story!

When I first started mine, my distributor was one tooth off. The timing was greatly retarded. Lit the manifolds up, nicely.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-11-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

The timing was greatly retarded.

Don't you hate it when your timing is stupid

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by 85LAMB:

sardonyx247

I just wanted to compliment you on a great write up you definetly get a + from me and I think we should all give you a + for this tread. Keep up the good work and please keep posting pictures.
I know we all want to know your experience on the first drive.

Thanks

------------------
Rate me if I'm usefull

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

Don't you hate it when your timing is stupid

Don't get me started. I can set TDC with my eyes closed and one hand behind my back now.

Congrats! Glad to have another 3.4 on the road. You got lucky, yours didn't take 2 weeks to it to start. Now double check your flywheel and you'll be ready to go! And speaking of going, how goes it with the DMV? Are you gonna make WestFest?

Spyhunter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpyhunterSend a Private Message to SpyhunterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations! And many thanks for the complete build thread! Much props to you for the good work and successful engine startup.
gumert

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2004 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gumertSend a Private Message to gumertEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spyhunter:

Congratulations! And many thanks for the complete build thread! Much props to you for the good work and successful engine startup.

I second that. This thread will be a great help to me when I decide I'm done with my 2.8.

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried to make this as helpfull as possible, thats why all of the pics.
And boy are 3.4L swaps on the fast rise.

------------------
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!!
Rate me if I'm usefull

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well after a new fuel pump, a new clutch release bearing, and much fighting with the DMV it is on the road....
DMV being the longest. ah the DMV sucks soooooo bad.

------------------
Rate me if I'm usefull

SoFresh-N-SoClean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 05:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SoFresh-N-SoCleanSend a Private Message to SoFresh-N-SoCleanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should paint your distubuter cap and your new battery before you install them. And get new plug wires. Just friendly advice, it looks great and it's easy.

Also Thank you sincerly for all of the pictures. About the colaboration on this thread.... I want to thank everyone comming together on this to make this thread a great one. This will be THE thread to seach for on how to do a 3.4 swap. This is definately "STICKY" material, if there is such a thing on this forum. With all the pictures and real world advice here and the 3.4 write up from this thread...https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/053814.html no one should have any problem with this upgrade.

Also swapping cams and pushrods/rockers and all that stuff isn't for everyone. It's a good size gain in torque just doing the 3.4 swap. And it's a hell of lot easier just to swap intakes and such and go. Going to this extent isn't for everyone, not everyone has the money... and the TIME! to go to this level of detail takes major amounts of time, and if you're not doing the labor yourself.... forget it. You better have plenty of money.

GREAT JOB!

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks,
It did take a great deal of time in cleaning, degreaseing, painting, polishing, powder coating, tapping everything, and research.
Hopefully I cut down the reaserch time part of it for everyone else.
The swap itself souldn't take much time at all. Just be sure to have all of the gaskets, seals, etc. that you are going to use/replace.
And I added the little tricks I ran across to boost HP, make things easier in the future, and a stronger mount.

One last word of advice: If you are going standard and got an auto 3.4L make sure to use flywheel bolts and not auto flexplate bolts. The flywheel bolts are longer (just under 3 cm vs 2.2 cm for the flexplate)
If you tap out all of the holes like I did, make sure to use thread locker of some kind, or you will tend to start loosing bolts.

After doing this swap it was well worth it, great sounding exhaust, quick, clean, and most of all.....
IT'S A BLAST TO DRIVE

------------------
Rate me if I'm usefull

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear you're finally on the road with it! Told you you'd love it. Since you couldn't make WestFest, how about the Coast Run?
PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2004 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In case some noobs missed it.
ttt
86_FiErO_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2004 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86_FiErO_GTClick Here to visit 86_FiErO_GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to 86_FiErO_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
total cost....?
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2004 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
under $900 including all mods. But labor was free, since I did it myself.

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 09-25-2004).]

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2004 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just started another thread dealing with the automatic swap details to add to this thread. It can be found here 3.4L 93-95 camaro engine swap pics auto
It also has a few more starter relocation pics too.

------------------

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2004 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 10-14-2004).]

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2004 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
can you post a picture of what your manifolds look like now after the car has been run to temp and it burned the paint off?

matthew

02eco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2004 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 02ecoSend a Private Message to 02ecoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did someone name Kevin e-mail me files regarding this swap?
shawnkfl

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2004 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how much would you charge for a copy of those pics on a cd?? i'd love to have them for reference
Solo2

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
User Banned

Report this Post11-03-2004 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Solo2Send a Private Message to Solo2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Did someone name Kevin e-mail me files regarding this swap?"

Yes I did!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock