Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Replaced the vacuum lines with hand bent aluminum tubing yesterday.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Replaced the vacuum lines with hand bent aluminum tubing yesterday. by Synthesis
Started on: 09-29-2006 12:19 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Falcon4 on 12-10-2006 04:37 AM
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Well, after dealing with vacuum leaks for a long period of time with the car, I decided to pull the upper plenum while I was installing the exhaust studs in the rear head.

While the plenum was off, I pulled all the plastic tubing out, and then headed to the local hobby shop, and purchased several 3 foot sections of aluminum tube. (Forget the size, but believe it was 5/32)

I used a spring bender, and slowly started shaping all the tubing to match the original. I then lightly sanded the outsides of all of the tubes with some 320 grit sandpaper, wiped clean, and gave an even coat of Etching Primer to bond with the aluminum. After letting the etching primer cure for 30 minutes, I top coated with a coat of high-temp Caliper paint, bright red.

Reinstalled the lines underneath, and lightly tweaked the ends of the tubes to fit the angles...
The car popped right off after re-assembly, and my vacuum leaks are all gone.

Pictures:

During the removal of the manifold, I broke the bolts that held the manifold to the Y-Pipe...
In my perusal of Home Depot, I found these lovely Socket Cap Oiled Steel Alloy bolts, and I have had good luck with them in Exhaust and HiTemp applications in the past... I went ahead and put them in place of the stock bolts..

They are m8x1.25x40MM, although 50MM will work too.

And man, those exhaust studs look great. Will be much easier to work on if I have to.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 09-29-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
And just when I thought I was finished working on my engine..................
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpDirect Link to This Post
i have done these but used rodneys kit. Keeping a guy like him in buisness keeps a lot of us fieroing
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I would have rather purchased Rodney's kit, but the problem is, I don't have funds lol

For 2 bucks a tube for the aluminum, 4 for the primer and 4 for the paint...

I have a total of about 20 bucks into these, and the satisfaction of knowing I did it myself.
OHNIKO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKODirect Link to This Post
oooo, can't wait for pics...good idea and thanks goes to Rodney too for the source!
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Just waiting on the pictures....

------------------

Nurb432

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
I was thinking of using steel brake lines and doing the same thing the next time i take one of my intakes off.

Are there any hidden issuses with heat transfer or anything that people could think of?
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2006 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
What a great idea. so cheap to do too. A thread to add to my favorites for sure a + to you.
I love great ideas that don't cost an arm and a leg.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!!
http://www.lasvegasfieroclub.com/
FIERO ROAD CLUB OF NORTHERN NEVADA

cornersonrails

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2006 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post
Those vacuum lines look awsome! I had done mine with aluminum tubing also but just made it work , wasnt going for the whole painted finish or how nicely they were bent matching the original. Great Job !
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2006 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Looks good. Nice job.

------------------
Fiero Thomas
86 Fiero GT
NIFE Member
www.fieronews.net

Gecko

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2006 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

Yeah, I would have rather purchased Rodney's kit, but the problem is, I don't have funds lol

For 2 bucks a tube for the aluminum, 4 for the primer and 4 for the paint...

I have a total of about 20 bucks into these, and the satisfaction of knowing I did it myself.

Just imagine the satisfaction you would get from doing a set for me in yellow. LOL. Great Job, wish I was good enough to do this type of thing myself

------------------
------------------

"what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul"

PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
$20 instead of the $127 Rodney would have charged you. NICE JOB ... and the color looks awesome too
Falcon4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 161
User Banned

Report this Post12-10-2006 04:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post
Well deserved bump so I can add this to my fav's! I'll be doing this some time soon for sure! Thanks for the info!

I'd also rather buy Rodney's set, but there's no chance in hell I could pony up the $130+ needed to buy the darn set... ugh. Kinda um... overpriced?

Melted through my EGR vacuum hose... I could really use a new set of hoses to get around that tacky flexible hose I now have supplying my EGR vacuum. This will be a huge help!

------------------

'87 Fiero GT, Automatic, 153k miles, stock everything, just trying to make it all work again.
Shameless self promotion: PIP giving you problems? Check out
http://hostfile.org!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock