Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Aurora 4.0l / Izuzu 5 speed swap into 88 coupe (Page 8)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 26 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Aurora 4.0l / Izuzu 5 speed swap into 88 coupe by cptsnoopy
Started on: 04-27-2004 07:21 PM
Replies: 1012 (72791 views)
Last post by: cptsnoopy on 11-05-2023 09:50 PM
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2005 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Russ544:

I'm anxious to see your solutions to the Isuzu hurdle as well. There's plenty of meat in the stock arm to machine the sides flat and drill/bolt on an extension but I'm curious how you'll mount the slave. are you still planning to use the pull slave?
You'd better get a move on ...... I expect to be doing a final install on mine next weekend still no computer to update my build progress pics, but maybe by mid week.

Cheers,
Russ

I have a lot on the burner right now but I would love to get this thing going. This darn cold I picked up yesterday is not helping much...

I am still planning to use the pull slave. It should be a fairly simple install. To keep the bleeder on the top side the slave body will be attached to the release arm and the slave piston rod will be attached to the trans. the slave will be at an angle and hopefully that will help the bleeding process. with luck the stock flexable tubing will work, if not a small extension will be used. The biggest problem now is that the tranny is buried behind the 88 while i battle getting the 86 engine back in. If I get this broken off thermostat housing bolt out of the intake manifold without destroying something then it should proceed normally again.

I hope you are able to post some of your latest pics soon. your work is very inspiring!

IP: Logged
Russ544

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2005 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oooooou summer colds really suck. btdt .
As far as your broken stud: a little heat on the aluminum surounding the stud can really be your friend. get it plennty hot and work the stud back and forth if possible. never try to just force it out in one dirrection.

Cheers,
Russ

ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2005 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know, I had to look at the first post, and I realized you've been working on this for a year and 4 months now... Are you done yet!?
GSXRBOBBY

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2005 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

You know, I had to look at the first post, and I realized you've been working on this for a year and 4 months now... Are you done yet!?

No hes like me, things have been put on hold....working in the heat sucks ass. But then again if he was out in the garage working on the car in the heat he may have not gotten sick?

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2005 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I get sick from work. some trips we work all night the first night and by the 3rd day we are back on a morning schedule... I had a trip like that followed two days later by one that started in the day time and then ended with all night flying. It's hard to convince the brain that it is time to sleep when you need it. funny how I seem to get sick after a few of the worst schedules back to back... I had hoped to get this thing running by last December but when I started thinking about using the GT body from the 86 it just threw that all out of whack. Russ, I was given an idea that I plan on trying. I will use my wire-feed welder to tack on an extension to the little bit of bolt that is sticking out. Like a 6" long 5/16" bolt. Then before it gets a chance to cool off too much, try to work it out like you describe. It should be interesting. But, a lot better than trying to drill it out and heli-coil what's left...
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2005 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well Russ,

It worked great! not a gimmie as I was about to give up.... but on the third bolt I was able to get the broken bolt hot enough to stick and with a little massaging and a lot of PB blaster it came out and left clean threads.

[This message has been edited by cptsnoopy (edited 05-11-2012).]

Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2005 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't ja' just love it when a plan comes together

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just a quick update to keep the thread alive...

another bolt snapped when I tried to replace the water pump. that was just over a week ago and with the nice timing cover that PFF member "ditch" sent me the engine is almost ready to put back in the 86. when that is done then I can continue with the body swap... quite a bit got done in the last couple of days and if that continues, I should be working on the 88 in less than a month. the current plan is to finish making the 86 into a yellow coupe and have it drivable. then work on the mechanical part of the 88 until it is running. then finish putting the GT body on.

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So have you stopped working on the 4.0?
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Ryan,

I have stopped working on the 4.0 only because I wanted to put the 86 GT body on the 88. so I took the body off the 86 and while the body was off I decided to put the aluminum bushings in the cradle. while the engine was out, I thought I would change out the coolant and heater hoses. That last little idea has cost several hundred dollars and is just about finished. when the 86 is back together with the 88 coupe body then I will finish putting the aurora into the 88 and get it running. then finish putting the 86 GT body on. so in summary yes, for a short while...

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2005 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
getting closer to getting back on track!

the 86 2.8 started last night and no leaks....yet..

now the body from the 88 starts coming off. must.. be.. careful..

PFF
System Bot
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2005 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
finally back at it. the yellow front clip is off. the parts from the 88 are in much better shape than those from the 86GT. I don't suppose anyone knows how to remove the sail panels without breaking something?
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2005 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Snoopy, its been awhile since I have been on here and glad to see your getting back after it. I am still on hold for a while, I heard a razor blade and strong fishing string works when done right?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
93 Northstar and 5 speed Getrag
NEW e-mail address 219customs@sbcglobal.net
My 86 GT build thread
MY 88 Northstar build thread

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2005 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey GSXRBOBBY,

How goes it? I have been so busy playing with the wife and another hobby that has crept into my life...

I just need to pull the interior out of the 88 to take the front roof cover off. Then those sail panels...

I will try your suggestions as there is most likely some glue on the forward side.

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2005 06:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I actually got something done this evening

the red roof w/sunroof is now sitting on the 88. whew...

Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2005 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cptsnoopy:

I have been so busy playing with the wife and another hobby that has crept into my life...

Huummmm. that does sound like fun also curious about the "other hobbie".

I just happened to think.. if you need anyhing from my "stash" for your project, my dad will be snowbirding to Scotsdale in a couple of weeks and could perhaps bring it down. let me know.

Russ

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2005 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How did you get them off?
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2005 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
actually, I have not removed the sail panels yet. The rear notch-back part of the body is still on the 88. I just set the 86 roof panel on the car for now. when I was removing the interior pieces from the 88 I broke some of the trim that runs along the top of the window and down the a-pillars. It appears that the little metal clips held the plastic much better in 88.

after breaking some stuff, I decided to take a rest and do the sail panels when I am not in any hurry. I will need to do some research to find out how they really do come off. I don't want to break these two, they are in pretty good shape. hopefully there is more hope of getting these off in one piece compared to the fastback quarter windows...

Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2005 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hopefully there is more hope of getting these off in one piece compared to the fastback quarter windows...

OOOoooooooo. I thought you were asking about gt windows......... notchies I know abbout .
Behind the arrow on the sailpanel is a stud. the nut on that stud is accessed inside the car after the interior trim is out of the way. once the nut is removed lift the sail panel enough for the stud to clear the body, then wile holding it out bump the sail panel towards the rear of the car with the palm of your hand to release the two clips on the rear edge. you'll want to place some tape on the paint berhind the sailpanel to protect it from scratching as the panel comes off.
[thinking] if you meant how to get just the glass off the sail panel without it breaking....................... you can't. it's impossible

hope this helps,
Russ

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2005 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Russ544,

Thanks! That is exactly what I needed. now, no more excuses, I'll get to it asap.
(that is after I get some sleep... )

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2006 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More progress, slow that it is. The rear body of the 88 is off and after cleaning will go onto the 86. Fastners look like the next hurdle...
PFF
System Bot
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2006 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go big daddy go!!!
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2006 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Bobby!

things are going very slowly but the I got the rear of the 88 on the 86. I need to move the exhaust tips inward about a half inch to center them in the cutouts. I guess I may have to try bending them in as the clamps have recessed the tubes and I doubt if they would stay after being moved a tad. How are things in your neck of the woods?

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2006 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well the newer place we are at has just a 1 car garage so room is tight, taken the car to a friend new polebarn in the spring. I am about to start doing a few smaller things on it to help pass the time until I go back to work in the spring, "interior stuff".
Other than that just getting ready for the wedding, watching her spend way to much money!

Still flying?

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2006 06:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How are we gonna convince that young lady that the money is better off spent on a Fiero? maybe we ought not try that...

yup, still flying, the future is uncertain but time will tell one way or the other.

Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2006 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yup, still flying, the future is uncertain but time will tell one way or the other.

Are you doing the Hi flight still? in the words of Glen Volk (a top comp HG pilot): "crossing unlandable terrain makes you a better pilot."

Russ

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 02-12-2006).]

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2006 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went out to Estrella Sailport about a month ago and got current again. Now I have to do a couple of flights now and again to stay current and not have to fly solo for three laps. I took a couple of friends up for a ride. The lift was marginal as it seems to be this time of year but a couple of 45 minute flights were managed. If your in town and have half a day to spare, let me know so you can play with the other gliders. (I am sure it's not as thrilling as hanging out in the breeze but it is enjoyable. ) As far as work goes, I am just keeping my fingers crossed. I am guessing that there are thousands of other folks out there doing the same about their job in whatever field they may work in. It just seems to be part of the "times".

[This message has been edited by cptsnoopy (edited 02-12-2006).]

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One issue I have found with swapping the bodys is that the exhaust tips are further out on the 86GT compared to the 88 coupe. I ended up loosening up the clamps and wrestling the tips off then cutting 1/2 inch off of the pipe from the muffler on each side of the car. Now the tips fit into the exhaust notches on the 88 coupe bumper pad. back to work.....
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2006 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you done yet?

btw, I wanted to ask you... How much did you pay for your header parts? flanges, bends, etc?

THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2006 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ryan.hess

You have a PM!

JG

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2006 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are you done yet?

btw, I wanted to ask you... How much did you pay for your header parts? flanges, bends, etc?

Not yet, progress has been very slow getting the body swapped. As soon as the 86 is driving again and out of the garage, I can start painting the motor mount parts and have the exhaust ceramic coated...

I paid $496 for the exhaust parts from SPD, that included shipping.

PFF
System Bot
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2006 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought I would replace the old windshield while the roof was off. Not too hard to cut the top and side sealant away but there is less room to work with on the bottom. once the windshield is out I can get some butyl rope to install the roof and put this yellow 86 back on the street...
MclarenF1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2006 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MclarenF1Click Here to visit MclarenF1's HomePageSend a Private Message to MclarenF1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BUMP!
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2006 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cool! I got bumpped

there has been the usual distractions and the project is waiting on getting the window guy out here to install the new window. (right after I clean the old adhesive off and glue down the top). once that is done and the coupe is out of the garage, the Aurora will be back in for completion. Did anyone mention that it is hot around here? I hear that everyone is getting a taste of what we get for most of the summer. I feel for you all, it ain't great until fall, winter and spring...
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2006 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good new concerning the butyl rope for the roof. The 3/8's inch size for installing windows seems to work fine. I pinched it a little bit to raise it up a tad more than 3/8's. When I set the roof on, I started from the rear and after the bolts all fit in their holes, I pressed on the front of the roof and then down the a-pillars. The a-pillars seem to be plenty secure. The glass guys are coming tomorrow.
MclarenF1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2006 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MclarenF1Click Here to visit MclarenF1's HomePageSend a Private Message to MclarenF1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You ever decide on what to do about the Isuzu shift problem?
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2006 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So there is a gap larger than 3/8" between the roof and the panel? I wonder if you can tap into that for airflow....
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2006 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just wondering the other day what ever hapened to you snoop - hot? naaaaa it was only 108 here yesterday and is forcast to drop all the way to 106 tomorrow. kind of like your night-time temps
I still have those heads if you need them. new wife, house being built, and won't have time for projects til winter up here.

Stay cool,
Russ
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2006 05:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MclarenF1:

You ever decide on what to do about the Isuzu shift problem?

I think you are talking about the shift cables running through the space where the air intake should be? Or the clutch slave? I have not tackled either but I don't see much problem there. For now the shift cables will stay in their stock location and the air intake will either run just forward of them or around both sides. The clutch slave worked like a champ on the sandrail I used to own, I am hoping for the same success here. I may have to consider the stock master cylinder volume versus the after-market one I was using on the sandrail.

So there is a gap larger than 3/8" between the roof and the panel? I wonder if you can tap into that for airflow....

The butyl rope that came off of the car looked to be about 5/8's to 3/4" round. I decided to try less instead of more for the first go at it. It seemed to smoosh down to around 1/4" or so. As long as it does not make noise while driving, all is well...

Originally posted by Russ544:

I was just wondering the other day what ever hapened to you snoop - hot? naaaaa it was only 108 here yesterday and is forcast to drop all the way to 106 tomorrow. kind of like your night-time temps
I still have those heads if you need them. new wife, house being built, and won't have time for projects til winter up here.

Stay cool,
Russ

Hi Russ,

I am still here. That danged model helicopter hobby really grabbed me! I'll have to send a pic. I am really embarrassed to admit that the interior pieces that you so thoughtfully gave me were the wrong color. I did not have a light color interior to compair the two and I got it wrong. The good news is that they are going into the 86 and the dark gray ones from the 86 will go into the 88. Thanks again for all the parts! If it looks like the stock heads on this engine are bad, I will see about coming up for a visit. (I just hope I find out this year...) It was only 118 degrees today, with humidity. Thank goodness for the large thunderstorms blowing through, the temps fell to a cool 108. Congrats on your new wife and house, that's a lot of project all on it's own!

charlie

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2006 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cptsnoopy

2585 posts
Member since Jul 2003
the new windshield looks great! Now I have to screw on the front fenders, hood and other body parts on to make it road-worthy, almost got some new space in the garage...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 26 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock