Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Aurora 4.0l / Izuzu 5 speed swap into 88 coupe (Page 21)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 26 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Aurora 4.0l / Izuzu 5 speed swap into 88 coupe by cptsnoopy
Started on: 04-27-2004 07:21 PM
Replies: 1012 (72791 views)
Last post by: cptsnoopy on 11-05-2023 09:50 PM
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2013 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookin' good! How many more days before this thing hits the road?
IP: Logged
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2013 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

Lookin' good! How many more days before this thing hits the road?

Thank you Dave,

Ummmm, I dunno is the truest answer I have. I keep hoping for "this year" but that never seems to happen.

I will try to have it done this year....

I am really enjoying your thread though, very good stuff!

Charlie

[This message has been edited by cptsnoopy (edited 04-08-2013).]

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2013 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cptsnoopy:

Thank you Dave,

Ummmm, I dunno is the truest answer I have. I keep hoping for "this year" but that never seems to happen.

I will try to have it done this year....

I am really enjoying your thread though, very good stuff!

Charlie

That sounds like my answer. Looks good. It's been a long journey.

Bob
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2013 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

That sounds like my answer. Looks good. It's been a long journey.

Bob
Thank you Bob, yes it has and luckily I've not had too big of life changes so I have been able to keep plugging away at it.

I am looking forward to eventually driving our cars to a meet to swap stories and have a good time.

I started on replacing the door glass today. I looked up several of the many threads on the subject and since both the inner and outer door skins are already removed, it was pretty quick work even with being extra careful. I had installed new inner and outer dew wipes several years ago that still have zero miles on them. The only other thing to look at were the inner adjusters that have felt on them and they seemed to be in pretty good shape. I already have the stock green tint door glass that I bought from Prosource. They were great to work with and I highly recommend them. I will see if a window tinting shop will be willing to install tint before I install the glass. Less chance of an accident after the body panels are installed... The pictures below are of the old glass and the nylon parts that go into the various holes. I noticed that the old glass holes and the new glass holes are not in exactly the same spots. I am curious to see if that will be any sort of an issue as they are within 1/8". I will get to show installed pictures after I get the 1/4" hardware and the glass tinted.
Charlie

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2013 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the glass tinted while it was not installed in the car yet but maybe that was not such a great idea. They resisted stating that it was much harder to keep the dirt off the project and I insisted they give it a try. To my surprise, they did a pretty decent job on the tint with only one really noticeable piece of dirt under the tint. The sad thing was that they ended up scratching the outside of the glass really deep on both windows. I guess they did not realize that they needed to lay the pieces on something like a towel while they squeegeed the water out... I installed them anyway to make sure they would work and now I'll just buy the factory tinted glass so it will be plug-n-play. That is if I ever get around to it.
So, now it is back to sanding again. I had the trim pieces all painted black and they did not come out so good. Then I looked at some pictures of painted Fiero's and decided that having the trim the same color as the body will look better anyway.
The painter said he should have some time next week so I plan to have more pieces ready for him by then. The major parts left are the door skins, decklid, hood, front and rear facias and then all the little pieces...

Charlie
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's way too hot and humid around here and that has put the project on hold until things cool down. However, the body prep guy called today and he is ready to help out again so some minor progress should begin soon.
I have not heard a word from the guy at proglass who is selling the tinted windows so I will try contacting him to see what is up with the new gray smoked glass...?

Charlie
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Humid? In AZ?
kennn

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kennnSend a Private Message to kennnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
June through September (approx.) is our rainy season, also known as "The monsoons." Hot weather, sometimes over 100Ëš with over 40% humidity makes things somewhat uncomfortable.

Ken

------------------
'88 Formula V6
'88 GT TPI V8

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
40%? Lol... that's rough. Don't ever move to the east coast
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

40%? Lol... that's rough. Don't ever move to the east coast

no kidding!
formulagator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for formulagatorSend a Private Message to formulagatorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+90% here in sunny Florida this morning TGFAC
PFF
System Bot
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2013 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Richard from ProSource glass int'l contacted me on Thursday to let me know that they had shipped the new Gray tinted Fiero window glass. It should show up on the 18th. I'll report on how it looks once I get the box open.

Charlie
Russ544

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Richard from ProSource glass int'l contacted me on Thursday to let me know that they had shipped the new Gray tinted Fiero window glass. It should show up on the 18th. I'll report on how it looks once I get the box open.

Charlie

Just stopped by to check up on your progress Charlie. that's gona be a nice car!! I just hope you don't get so old that they take your license away before you get to drive it.

Russ

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Russ544:

Just stopped by to check up on your progress Charlie. that's gona be a nice car!! I just hope you don't get so old that they take your license away before you get to drive it.

Russ

Lol! you might be right Russ... Things are looking good to get it painted and together late this year. The painter doesn't like to paint when it's over 80 degrees out... (but, for free other than material I'm not complaining.) How are things going in the NW? Any new projects?

Charlie
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2013 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lol! you might be right Russ... Things are looking good to get it painted and together late this year. The painter doesn't like to paint when it's over 80 degrees out... (but, for free other than material I'm not complaining.) How are things going in the NW? Any new projects?

Charlie

A smart painter. too hot and the solvents go off way too quickly to allow a decent flow out. What color will it be?
I sold my last Fiero a couple months ago, the IMSA, and have gotten into rebuilding early Corvettes. I'm just finishing up a 62 now. installed an L-98 TPI 350 and ZF 6 speed from a 90 Vette. it's driving now, and painted, but still needs some interior work. I may keep this one .
Are you still driving the big silver bird?

varoom varoom,

Russ

VF1Skullangel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VF1SkullangelClick Here to visit VF1Skullangel's HomePageSend a Private Message to VF1SkullangelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A smart painter. too hot and the solvents go off way too quickly to allow a decent flow out. What color will it be?
I sold my last Fiero a couple months ago, the IMSA, and have gotten into rebuilding early Corvettes. I'm just finishing up a 62 now. installed an L-98 TPI 350 and ZF 6 speed from a 90 Vette. it's driving now, and painted, but still needs some interior work. I may keep this one .

varoom varoom,

Russ

I know this is a stupid question but how did you manged to use the ZF out of the Corvette?

I heard it wasn't possible out of the vette to be used in a Fiero or any other mid engine car. Feel free to shoot me a PM with the details. I'm interested in knowing the recipe!
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VF1Skullangel:
I know this is a stupid question but how did you manged to use the ZF out of the Corvette?

I heard it wasn't possible out of the vette to be used in a Fiero or any other mid engine car. Feel free to shoot me a PM with the details. I'm interested in knowing the recipe!

No no. read it again I had an IMSA bodied Fiero with a Northstar and Fiero 5 speed, as well as a Fiero with 377SBC and Fiero 4 speed, but the ZF 6 speed is installed in my current project, which is a 62 Corvette. Don't feel too bad…. I get confused about it sometimes myself

Russ
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

varoom varoom,

Russ

Sounds very nice, I saw a great looking white '67 (I hope I got that right, it was a fastback) tonight. Still flying the big birds but just now going out on disability due to an ankle/lower leg injury complicated by arthritis in my feet. Should be interesting to see how recovery goes... I hope the fall is looking sweet in your neck of the woods.

Charlie

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The grey tinted Prosource glass is installed. I'm hoping to source the plastic window "Buttons" (2 per side required). They cost $15 to $25 each and they look like a $3 part. I'm not really sure if they are really needed but I will get them anyway. Lately I've been re-sanding the underside of the hood and will need to do the same to the deck lid. The un-catylized paint spattered pretty bad and I don't want to use it again. That means it all has to come off to use proper paints. It's being a tough lesson to learn. The painter was able to get the driver's side filler panel painted so now I can glue the roof down and order up a front windshield. If things go well at the paint shop, I'll have all the parts painted in a couple of weeks. I won't be holding my breath though.

Charlie
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally got around to mounting the filler panels and gluing the roof down with butyl rope. It appears to be secure enough...

The pictures below show the little filler triangles painted and mounted and then a picture showing the side window glass from Prosource.

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 11-29-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a question about the filler triangle, the only way to get to the top 2 screws is to take the roof off. The factory put my driver side one on crooked. Yours looks good.
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jim94:

I have a question about the filler triangle, the only way to get to the top 2 screws is to take the roof off. The factory put my driver side one on crooked. Yours looks good.

You could possibly drill two holes in the A-pillar of the roof section but you would then need to "repair" the holes and repaint. It is a toss up as to which is more work. removing the roof or fixing the holes...

When I was at the pick n pull yard, I drilled holes to remove the triangles so the roof would not be completely useless to someone who needed one badly enough to patch the holes...

Charlie
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Windshield installed, one step closer...

Charlie

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ordered $450 worth of body clips, sunroof parts and side marker lights from the fierostore.com website...
Slower than a snail but still proceeding.

Charlie
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, looks super clean Charlie. Hard to believe it's already been two years since I visited you. Where does time go?
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Slower than a snail but still proceeding.

Charlie

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 01-27-2014).]

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

Wow, looks super clean Charlie. Hard to believe it's already been two years since I visited you. Where does time go?

Thank you Dave and Bob, the guy that is doing the painting told me it might take awhile to fit my project in between his normal business but it looks like he is getting ready to get serious and get r done. It has been roughly 10 years since I started on this and I have not regretted it at all. Dave, your project has been very interesting to follow along with and also very inspirational. I really hope you are happy with the result when you are done. It ought to be saved in a museum as a work of art when you are done enjoying it.

Charlie
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It has been roughly 10 years since I started on this and I have not regretted it at all.

We're working on the same schedule, Charlie. And like you, I haven't regretted a moment.

Bob
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm excited to say that the painter was not kidding! Lots of the smaller stuff got painted today and is curing in the booth...

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2014 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am trying to remember where the plastic rivets go versus where the aluminum ones go when installing the body, moldings, trims, rockers and ground effects. anyone remember? I don't have another Fiero to look at anymore...

Charlie

[This message has been edited by cptsnoopy (edited 03-03-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2014 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am trying to remember where the plastic rivets go versus where the aluminum ones go when installing the body, moldings, trims, rockers and ground effects. anyone remember? I don't have another Fiero to look at anymore...

Charlie

IIRC, the aluminum rivets are used on the bottom of the front fenders & 1/4 panels, rockers, & the side molding clips. The rest use the plastic ones.
HTH,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2014 04:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Paul!

Charlie

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's starting to look like a Fiero again!

Just need the front/rear bumper skins, mirrors, rocker panels, left headlight door and the wing and it'll be ready to roll legally...

Charlie

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 06:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whoa! That is looking super slick!
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank You Dave!

I can't wait to button it up and start the tuning runs but the painter is swamped and he just let me know it might be another month...

Oh well, I'm just sitting in it listening to the rumble for a few minutes.

Charlie
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Dave,

I was reading through the threads looking to see if anyone using the 1.5" drop spindles had needed to modify their bumpstops to avoid having the front tire rip up the fender. I noticed you have made some drawings of the stock front 88 suspension. Do you have enough info on paper to determine if 1.5" is safe to drive with no modification of the bumpstop? I should have checked this when I was working on the front end but I think I only checked against the frame rail and IIRC there was around 3/4's of an inch clearance fully compressed. I don't remember checking the clearance with the wheel turned both left and right with the fender on the car.

Charlie
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ordered some new Corbeau grey GTS II seats. I'm hoping they work well...

Charlie
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seats should be arriving today sometime...
got the qtr windows installed, they look pretty nice.
Been working on getting the now very old Holley 950 Commander software running on my Windows7 Pro 64bit laptop. It is working finally but I needed to load XP-Mode and Virtual Machine plus find and install the usb-serial drivers. The Auto-Tune software runs fine in Windows7 so hopefully I'll find that very useful...
Still waiting for the front/rear bumper skins, rockers, driver's side headlight door, mirrors and the wing from the painter. Crossing fingers that may happen soon.

Here are the latest pics. The trunk is sitting a little high in the rear on the new seal as well as the sunroof on its new seal...

Charlie

davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a beautiful paint job! Are those new qtr windows? if so where did you get them.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 26 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock