Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Why does my temperature needle stay 'cold' all the time?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Why does my temperature needle stay 'cold' all the time? by kevin
Started on: 06-17-2015 09:09 PM
Replies: 7 (567 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 06-18-2015 12:19 PM
kevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fellas,
I just replaced my thermostat to a 190 degree unit. I have a '85 Duke. It is all stock. I'm looking at my temperature needle and it stays on the cold settingd all the time? It doesn't move know matter how many miles I drive? Why? What's going on? Any ideas?

Cordially,
kevin
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bad sender or gauge, ground the wire at the sender and see if the gauge moves if it does your senders bad if not your gauge is bad.

[This message has been edited by tebailey (edited 06-17-2015).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kevin:

Why does my temperature needle stay 'cold' all the time?

Did you ever sort out your last issue from a week ago... Why does my Fiero run so hot?

Or this one... Will this product help me with low compression?

Or this one... Where, or how, do I plug my antenna in?

Or this one... How do I get into my trunk?

Or this one... No gas, why?

Or this one... No gas coming to EFI. What could be wrong? (Iron Duke '85)

Or this one... Sub-woofer installation?

Or this one... Door Ajar light stays on

Or this one... How do I remove/replace my turn signal replacement

Or this one... I'm an idiot with a steering column question?

Or this one... Ignition help!!

Or this one... Ignition key

Or this one... WTB electric window switch's. Is is there another GM car that works with a Fiero?

Do you ever actually fix anything?

Kevin, you seem like a nice enough fellow... but there appears to be a pattern developing here.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-17-2015).]

kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2015 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patriick,
Thanks for remembering😊 Yea, I did figure it out. What I did was replace the sensor that plugged into the thermostat housing. New problem: Now the needle won't move off the cold marking way to the left? The needle moves way to the right when you start the engine, but never moves from the left ( cold marker) once you drive away. Any ideas?
Cordially,
kevin
Rexgirl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2015 05:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your temperature gauge needle may have been forced clockwise in it's shaft due to 'pegging' when the starter circuit is engaged. If so, you will need to recalibrate the needle using instructions here:
http://fierosails.com/tempgage.html

If you wish to prevent this problem from reoccurring, this page details that also. On my 1987 SE, I found that removing the green wire terminal on the ignition worked perfectly well even though it's claimed that it only works on 1984 cars. To quote from the above article:

Leave the factory wiring as-is (do not swap wires as in our procedure above).
Follow the green wire from the temp gauge to the ignition switch. This green wire plugs into the multi-pin plug on the ignition switch in either the G1 position or the G2 positon. (Steve said this wire in his '84 was in the G2 position but Josh French foud it at G1. The important point is to remove the double wire whether it's at G1 or G2.)
Pull the wire out of the plug, wrap some electrical tape around it so it will not ground to anything, and you are done. The "bulb-test" feature is now bypassed!
The ignition switch plug is a little out of the way - under the dash, on top of the steering column.
NOTE: This fix will eliminate the "pegging needle" problem but will not enable the "Bulb Test" feature for the Temp Warning light. "

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2015 05:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What Patrick is getting at is it's customary to go back and not only post your problems, but also the solutions in the same thread once resolved. That helps the next guy with the same problem. Please go back and update any of those threads you've solved to give back for the advise given here on this forum. It would be mucho appreciated.

It's possible you've bent your thermostat, or didn't get out bled all the way during installation. Inspect it and see if the handle is bent, if it is...it's not seating completely and therefore always open.
Bleed the system carefully.

Did the problem start with the new thermostat? Grounding the sensor lead is quick and easy. If you used Teflon tape on the sensor, you may not be getting ground through the sensor to make the needle move in the dash.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2015 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rexgirl:

Your temperature gauge needle may have been forced clockwise in it's shaft due to 'pegging' when the starter circuit is engaged. If so, you will need to recalibrate the needle using instructions here:
http://fierosails.com/tempgage.html

If you wish to prevent this problem from reoccurring, this page details that also. On my 1987 SE, I found that removing the green wire terminal on the ignition worked perfectly well even though it's claimed that it only works on 1984 cars. To quote from the above article:

Leave the factory wiring as-is (do not swap wires as in our procedure above).
Follow the green wire from the temp gauge to the ignition switch. This green wire plugs into the multi-pin plug on the ignition switch in either the G1 position or the G2 positon. (Steve said this wire in his '84 was in the G2 position but Josh French foud it at G1. The important point is to remove the double wire whether it's at G1 or G2.)
Pull the wire out of the plug, wrap some electrical tape around it so it will not ground to anything, and you are done. The "bulb-test" feature is now bypassed!
The ignition switch plug is a little out of the way - under the dash, on top of the steering column.
NOTE: This fix will eliminate the "pegging needle" problem but will not enable the "Bulb Test" feature for the Temp Warning light. "

Cool. I have an 86 I may try this simple fix on.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2015 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by f85gtron:

What Patrick is getting at is it's customary to go back and not only post your problems, but also the solutions in the same thread once resolved. That helps the next guy with the same problem.
Please go back and update any of those threads you've solved to give back for the advise given here on this forum. It would be mucho appreciated.

I couldn't agree more. Without that you sound like an unappreciative #@$+@&%

... and answers to most of your questions could have been found using SEARCH.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-18-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave