Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  I'm an idiot with a steering column question?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
I'm an idiot with a steering column question? by kevin
Started on: 10-09-2013 03:00 PM
Replies: 3 (233 views)
Last post by: theogre on 10-10-2013 12:09 PM
kevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fellas,
I removed my steering column. I am now putting in another complete steering wheel column. I cannot figure out how to align my new steering shaft onto the rack receiver-coupler (on the floor)? Is there a simple way to figure this out? On the newer column, there is a pink stripe from the factory. Is this used to assist in the alignment? Does anybody have a video that I can follow. I feel like an absolute idiot! Please help me......

Thanks,
kevin

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't visualize the issue.....Maybe I am an idiot too. Don't you just make that connection first?
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gm used 3 different type of splines on the coupler in the early 80s.
One had a flat spot and another had one spline that was a little larger than the others. On those they can only be put on one way.
The last had the same splines all the way around. On that one, center the wheels as best as possible and with the steering wheel center, put it on the closest splines.
Something that may make it easier. Install the 2 nuts that hold up the upper bracket but leave out the bolts that hold the collum to the bracket. This will hold the weight of the collum and still allow you to move it up and down onto the splines
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Both are Fiero column? What years?
Does both look the same where that joint attaches?

Intermediate shaft only goes one way. Big notch on column shaft or rack to accept the pinch bolt should by obvious. Rack's "notch" is big.

You must Remove the pinch bolt on intermediate shaft.
Likely expand the joint where bolt goes thru it to allow the parts to mate. Drive a screwdriver a little in between the bolt ears.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock