Click here to visit the donation page | View all sponsors
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  World's slowest Fiero/Quad 4 Swap (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
World's slowest Fiero/Quad 4 Swap by Quad Raider
Started on: 07-15-2017 09:17 PM
Replies: 92 (2392 views)
Last post by: Quad Raider on 01-21-2019 08:23 PM
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2018 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderClick Here to Email Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Habanera Hal:

After reading through this whole thread, I could only thing I could think of was your name must be Murphy. I know I wouldn't have your patience to see this through. I admire your perseverance!

When you finally get your DIY dew wipes finished, would you consider posting a how-to thread with resources and all?

weloveour86se covered it already. I linked to the thread in another post this morning. The things you'll need are the dew wipe material, rivets, some cheap weather stripping from Lowe's (for the inserts) and some heavy duty velcro. As I also mentioned, an industrial hole punch is also a tremendous help.

IP: Logged

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2018 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderClick Here to Email Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The answer is yes, someone had already tried them. Gokart used them, but he didn’t stop there. He also tried the functional heat extractors from a 2002 GTP. My wife drives one and I’ve always wondered what those extractors would look like on a Fiero.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/093383.html

Originally posted by Quad Raider:

I spent some time in the salvage yard this week looking for parts for my wife's Grand Prix. I noticed a couple 90s model Firebirds with these non-functional hood-mounted heat extractors. Has anyone ever used these on a Fiero?

Since they're plastic it would be easy to cut an opening into them and glass them into/onto the hood. The yard charged me only $8 for both and there's another set if I need it.

My Quad tended to run hot when it was still in my GTZ so I'm concerned about keeping it cool in the Fiero. I've looked at a lot of different hood and decklid vents and only seen a couple I like.

I think these would be perfect if the edges were more parallet, like this:

I'm no expert at fiberglass or body work so this would be a massive amount of work. It's tempting to follow this tangent now as I prep the car for paint, but there's also a good argument for painting the car, finishing the other tasks and getting it on the road, then going back and doing tweaks.

[This message has been edited by Quad Raider (edited 12-16-2018).]

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2018 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderClick Here to Email Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I started another thread about the possibility of using dew wipes from a fourth generation Firebird/Camaro:

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/098612.html#p0

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2018 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderClick Here to Email Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I finished installing the 4th-generation Camaro/Firebird dew wipes and I'm very happy with the results:

I eventually trimmed the front of the dew wipe so it would fit around the plastic triangle at the front of the door.

Now on to painting the car.

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2018 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderClick Here to Email Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was on vacation this week so I got a lot of work done, including the first coat of paint. I'm using Rust-oleum sail blue out of quart cans. I always planned to paint the car some shade of blue, even before I decided to use Rust-oleum instead of automotive paint. Once I decided to go with RO, I picked sail blue because it was available in both rattle cans and quart cans pretty much anywhere I looked. For some reason over the last several years quart cans of it have become rare.

I had one full can and half of another (from that time I tried using a roller), so I figured I had plenty for such a small car. More on that coming up. After sanding the car one more time, wiping it down with acetone and then wiping it again with tack cloths, I set up a homemade paint booth.

Now, before we go any further, here's a note about my expectations. I EXPECTED the first coat to look rough. I expect my second and third coats to look better, but not anywhere close to professional. I expect to get the paint job to look good enough for my tastes, by color sanding the whole car as many times as necessary and reshooting anything that needs it. In other words, it will look as good as the effort I put into it.

So on Thursday, I got everything ready, mixed up my first batch of paint and acetone and started spraying. I immediately realized I hadn't used enough acetone because the paint came out too thick and led to major orange peel. I started on the driver's side roof then moved to the front of the car, then the passenger side roof, then the rest of the car. You can see the orange peel on the hood.

By the time I got around to the back of the car, I had the mixture just about right and the paint went on very smoothly.

Because I hadn't thinned the first two cups of paint much, I ran out after getting just one coat on the car. I then spent Friday trying to find a couple more quart cans of RO sail blue in the Tulsa area and finally ended up ordering two cans from Amazon. They arrived today. Tomorrow I will begin color sanding the car and fixing some of the other boo-boos. For instance, as you can see in the first photo, I have the wing mounted on a wooden platform to be able to spray both the botton and top. I sprayed it first, then backed into it a couple of times while painting the car, so I'll have to fix those smudges.

Even though I have a huge amount of work to do to finish the paint job, I had so much fun getting to this point I can't wait to get back at it tomorrow. It's such an emotional lift to get the car all one color again and to see how good it can look when the paint goes on properly.

Habanera Hal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2018 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalClick Here to Email Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've looked at a number of YouTube vids on painting a car with Rustoleum. I even remember a magazine (Hot Rod?) that did one a few years ago. Yes, it will look as good as the effort you put into it. I applaud you for your creativity, frugality, and perseverance! Look forward to your updates!

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2019 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderClick Here to Email Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here's what it looks like now. I wet sanded the whole car after that first coat because it was so rough. I also did more research on how to mix the paint and acetone and decided to go with a ratio of 8:4:1, eight parts paint to four parts acetone and one part hardener.

I am absolutely thrilled with the results. It's not a professional quality job, but it's good enough for me.

There's a bit of orange peel over about 50% of the car, but I can't make up my mind yet about whether to lightly color sand it, buff it or just leave it. I'm not going to do anything to it until next weekend at the earliest.

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2019 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderClick Here to Email Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Conditions were just about perfect yesterday. Relatively dry air, temperature about 65 and no wind, so I opened one of the garage doors during the process. I used a Harbor Freight HVLP gun that I'd bought at a pawn shop over the summer. I don't even remember what I paid for it, but it was cheap.

I probably didn't have my air compressor set properly and that contributed to the orange peel. I also made some rookie mistakes, like brushing the roof with the air hose a couple of times and somehow getting a big drop of water on the hood.

It is such a tremendous sense of accomplishment, all the sanding and experimenting was worth it. I cannot wait to get the trim, mirrors and lights installed, and to paint the black strip on the front and rear fascias.

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2019 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbClick Here to Email wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks really good. I have a rustoleum universal brand spray bomb paint job on my car. I thought I was going to have to redo it last year, but it responded really well to a machine buff using Meguiars Ultimate compound and a good wax job. Lasted all Summer with a nice gloss.

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2019 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderClick Here to Email Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I decided to color sand the car. In the process I fixed some of the imperfections in the paint. I also painted the black molding strip on both fascias.

I’m planning to buy a buffer and polishing compound this week and hope to finish up the whole process this weekend. Then I’ll reinstall all the trim. After that, it’s onto removing the dash to refinish it and to install the wiring harness for the power equipment I added to the doors.

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2019 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderClick Here to Email Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I went over to the shop Saturday with the idea that I'd color sand one more time with 1500 grit, wash the car then buff it. I ended up sanding the whole car twice, then again on Sunday. In the process I discovered three small places where I burned through the paint.

After fixing the burns, I looked over the whole car again and could tell I've made great progress in removing the orange peel. I think I'll try one more round of sanding to remove all of it, then I'll try buffing.

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2019 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderClick Here to Email Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here's what the car looks like now.

Taking sandpaper to newly applied paint was really counter-intuitive, but now I've lost track of how many times I've sanded the whole car. It's been at least five. Since I'd never done it before, I didn't know how much pressure to put on the sanding block or even how to tell when I was done. I will sand the car one more time, really concentrating on each small area as I go.

The places I burned through are all edges: the edge of the passenger side front fender, the corner of the drivers side headlight door and the base of the B pillar on the drivers side.

When I finished the first day of color sanding, I stopped at the grocery store on the way home. "Did you kill a Smurf?" the cashier asked me.

I had tried to think of a name for my car for eight years. I think Smurf Murder is perfect. The custom license tag would be SMRFMDR

[This message has been edited by Quad Raider (edited 01-21-2019).]

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2019 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderClick Here to Email Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here's a little project that frugal Fiero owners will like. Instead of spending money on a holder for the spray gun, I made this.

The rotor is from one of the other cars in the family. I bolted a piece of all-thread to it to make a rack to hold parts for painting but didn't use it and it was just sitting around the garage. The plastic part is from the radiator fan mount for my Beretta GTZ.

When I parted out the car to get it ready to go to the recycler, I saved that fan mount because I knew it would be good for something. I cut the other two arms off of it and opened up the center hole and the paint gun fits perfectly.

[This message has been edited by Quad Raider (edited 01-21-2019).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock