Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  A Real Mera in Paradise (Page 62)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 178 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115   116   117   118   119   120   121   122   123   124   125   126   127   128   129   130   131   132   133   134   135   136   137   138   139   140   141   142   143   144   145   146   147   148   149   150   151   152   153   154   155   156   157   158   159   160   161   162   163   164   165   166   167   168   169   170   171   172   173   174   175   176   177   178 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
A Real Mera in Paradise by Fiero-in-Paradise
Started on: 08-18-2009 04:06 AM
Replies: 7110 (186862 views)
Last post by: Vernonmera on 11-25-2023 05:59 PM
Wayne Wm. Peterson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2011 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wayne Wm. PetersonSend a Private Message to Wayne Wm. PetersonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mera7:

ok... thomas magnum drove a ratty old vw bug convertible that was blue with a grey drivers door and a white front end.

It was episode #20, season 4, called "Dream a little Dream," it was a flashback to Magnums first case in 1979. It was a super beetle convert, ice blue with white over spray on the front end and a brown drivers side door, which when you slammed it, the engine cover would pop open. Oh yeah, Magnum had a really bad mullet too.

As for Mera engine covers; I will photo #8002's tomorrow when its light out.
WWP
IP: Logged
mera7

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2011 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good job wayne. what color was tc's chopper n that show? lol.

dan, would you like me to put the brake calipers and pads in the box too and ship them all together? likely around 35. to 45. for shipping but you can have the brakes for free. they are nice but i dont need them anymore since i put the ferrari brembos on my car now.
Fiero-in-Paradise

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, check out the third photo down here:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/077157.html

So the 88 Formula definitely has a rounded trunk, just like any other SE or notchback design.

Per the VIN decoder, my Mera is a Formula. Says so on the car registration as well.

But look at my trunk...definitely an 88GT design:

Now I'm not a terribly smart fella, but it would seem to me that there is A LOT of work involved to change a Formula trunk to a GT truck. For a small company trying to watch their overhead, it would seem counterproductive to do so. And considering that the majority of 88 Meras are built from Formulas, I guess this is one of those Corporate Concepts mysteries.

Here's a pic of my fuel door. When I pop it open, this is as far as it opens:

I have to manually pull it open to this position:

Rick, in my excitement sitting in the Lambo, I did not take a picture of the rear view mirror monitor. But it looked something like this (borrowed from e-bay):

So basically it was a three-portion display that I think was just clipped onto the existing mirror. The left side was connected to a tiny camera stuck on the driver's mirror, the center display was on a camera on the rear fascia, and the right display was connected to a tiny camera on the passenger side mirror. It was very cool, and for the Lambo, a necessity due to the multiple blind spots.

I'm praying/hoping to be selected to attend another conference in Taipei later this year. I plan to hang out a few extra days with the Fiero Gang there.

Dano, package arrived today, but I was not home. I'll pick it up at the post office on the way to work tomorrow. Thanks!!!

Tommy
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero-in-Paradise:

So the 88 Formula definitely has a rounded trunk, just like any other SE or notchback design.

Per the VIN decoder, my Mera is a Formula. Says so on the car registration as well.

But look at my trunk...definitely an 88GT design:

Now I'm not a terribly smart fella, but it would seem to me that there is A LOT of work involved to change a Formula trunk to a GT truck. For a small company trying to watch their overhead, it would seem counterproductive to do so. And considering that the majority of 88 Meras are built from Formulas, I guess this is one of those Corporate Concepts mysteries.

Tommy

All it requires are the trunk square off pieces (look like a large 'D') made of plastic and a GT trunk gasket. Back in the day I would guess a cost less than $200.00. Not even labor intensive to change over could be done in 20 minutes or less prior to the installation of the rear clip.

On a side note, Tom please take a picture of the underside of your rear deck so Dan can see the difference. Yours should be square in the corners while in the pics he (Dan) has posted his is round to fit the gasket he has. Nothing personal Dan but that indicates a kit to me.
What is the production number (VIN) and construction date (found on the drivers door) of your car?

[This message has been edited by Indiana_resto_guy (edited 01-13-2011).]

batousai666

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Indiana_resto_guy:

On a side note, Tom please take a picture of the underside of your rear deck so Dan can see the difference. Yours should be square in the corners while in the pics he (Dan) has posted his is round to fit the gasket he has. Nothing personal Dan but that indicates a kit to me.
What is the production number (VIN) and construction date (found on the drivers door) of your car?

see i dont quite follow.....if the lid is a "SkinOver" from the org. Fiero and the SE has a round trunk. why would the Aluminum covers not be "cut to fit". thats what they did with the GT's and the only question at hand is why Toms Formula has square corners.

how does my underside look different that you guyses??

this is why i complain about the lack of photos alot. i use them to try to figure this stuff on my own. no need for talk/type.
but it seems even if one is trying to sell a "88 Fiero Formula" most all adds were sparse with photos of the engine/trunk areas....bloody frustrating. i did see one "88 formula" with square corners, Tom....but i cannot find it now. it was a eng swap tread on the WWW.

now i have this pic of the 86 proto and to me our "trunk circles' look the same. so far thats all i have.

even better after a look see after i posted....notice the "witness mark" in the lower left corner of the pic. round....yeah!! maybe??
please help me understand how my round trunk makes you flag as a kit.

its hard to believe a "Kit" has the small things that i do.....so i will be a hard sell on this till something bigger rears its head
good observation.....thats the ticket, too....attention to the details. good show.

off for a chat with the owner of #7029

D

*edit* so i went fishin.....and got this Toms underside......

you can kinda see where Toms keeps going straight in the witness mark he has......filthy, filthy. Tommy!?

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 01-13-2011).]

Wayne Wm. Peterson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wayne Wm. PetersonSend a Private Message to Wayne Wm. PetersonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, several things: DAN, I e-mailed you some photos for posting of #8002's trunk area, hope this helps with the discussion. Thanks again

On those previous shots...most inside gas filler areas are black, did you paint yours red?

The rear view mirror is great, only one question: In what state do they water ski in the center lane?

WWP

P.S. The body builders are very side show, not to mention spooky
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dan, would you like me to put the brake calipers and pads in the box too and ship them all together? likely around 35. to 45. for shipping but you can have the brakes for free. they are nice but i dont need them anymore since i put the ferrari brembos on my car now.

yes....PM sent. thanks....say do my new pipes look like these??

OEM Mera....

D
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

batousai666

4222 posts
Member since Jun 2009

Originally posted by Wayne Wm. Peterson:

Ok, several things: DAN, I e-mailed you some photos for posting of #8002's trunk area, hope this helps with the discussion. Thanks again

On those previous shots...most inside gas filler areas are black, did you paint yours red?

WWP

P.S. The body builders are very side show, not to mention spooky

"step right up, sir...." "win yourself a cupie doll, beat down......" "come right this way!!!"
P.T. Beatem! hahahahhaaaaaa

i did not recieve yet.....will do when i get them tho

as far as the cap....its sad i donot have a sticker.....but i did not paint it.
Tom's is red too....if i recall. i am not too sure about the black it seems so "after thought"...out of place.

i have been out looking at X, seems to square a round trunk all one really needs is a sawzall kidding.

Hey Indy?? what do you have in your Meras?? do all yous have the same set up back there? any pictures?
this recent discussion is a good one and may open up a door......i hope!

Dan

reholmes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reholmesSend a Private Message to reholmesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
#8046 (Tom's +2, and some dirt)

Fiero-in-Paradise

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^^ That's exactly what mine looks like ^^^

It looks to me that the Mera rear deck lid COULD accomodate either a rounded SE-type gasket, or a GT rectangular gasket.

The problem I believe may be the height. I thought more work would be required for a trunk conversion...I've read other threads that you can't simply add a GT lid on the back of an SE or coupe, since the GT lid sits higher, and as such, would not seal the trunk at all. So I thought it would be more involved than just adding a rectagular opening and GT gasket to a Mera, using that same logic, especially since some of the Mera's were built on GTs.

But regardless, even if it costs as little as $200 to change, the question is...WHY, if the lid could accomodate either? CC was a small company, and $200 times xxx units would add up quickly.

Sorry, I'm on Gout meds, so not even sure if that made any sense!

The inside of the fuel door was already that color when I bought it from the PO.
mera7

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2011 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by batousai666:

yes....PM sent. thanks....say do my new pipes look like these??

OEM Mera....

D

yes just like those.
PFF
System Bot
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yes just like those.

whooooooowhooooooo!!! thanks Pal!!

good times ahead for Mera X.

no more bodybbuilders from here on out.....

this is where i would put one last one....but too prove my sincerity......Nada!!

i think my underside looks just like that, too?
....and i am with Tom. WHY?? it might me a previous owner thing??
you got a sunroof, i cant remember.....maybe he "notched" so he could put the sunroof back there, hahaha!

i need closer shots of the ends the short sides.
i dont know how they finished off the '88's. never seen any close pics.
only body shots are on the WWW for the most part.

i need more clues....please.

D

Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess we would need to talk to someone directly involved in the construction of the 88 Meras to find out about the trunk modificatons on the Formula's. It does appear that the underside of the Mera decklid would seal either the square or round opening trunk from the way it looks.

You know, I can't remember what color the inside of my gas door is........I am guessing red but I will have to take a look. I do know I am missing the spring that holds the door open, but I have found one. Woo Hoo!

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 01-13-2011).]

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok from a different angle.....do the SE's have a different Trunk lid than the GT/Formula??

i see the flat trunk lids and our big oval, ones. anymore different lids. 1984's?? 4 cly's??
i reckoned the flat ones were for the 4 banger? to accomadate the air cleaner....i dont know.

am i supposed to have a different Fiero trunk lid under my Mera one.

the paint, i have said looks newer and would explain my lack of sticker. they had to swap the lid.
i hear that OEM Fiero parts have vin stickers on them. i have none.

as far as my VIN. it codes to a 1987 SE Fiero.
code 9 engine #
the 9384 Fiero made in 1986/87 door date 10/86.....perfect for a Proto-type.......love!!

D

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The underside of a stock Fiero decklid looks quite different than a Mera decklid. The VIN stickers were attached to the stock Fiero bodywork, and not transferred to the Mera parts. My yellow 88 had all the stock stickers intact since it was original paint. I never have really looked at the Mera to see if any factory VIN stickers are attached. I would think the doors might still have them.
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah the doors do but what about your trunk lid....you should have one there.
i have one in the front too....you should too. wonder if they put one under the only Fiero we have on our Meras. the roof?
i thought that the rear deck was a skin-over of the Fiero lid, just like the front one??

so we all should have Fiero lids under our Mera panels....'cept for Mike....the lightest Mera on the planet!!

thats where i am going with this. if i say have a GT lid.....that may have to happen because it IS an SE.

is a 88 Formula just a 87 SE with the GT parts? why is a Formula not a SE?? whats the difference?
there are no 87 Formulas and there are no 88 SE's but that is mostly suspention stuff and panels.....for the 88's.

you guys know i do not know my 1988 stuff. i need some schoolin....

Dan

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dan,

The Mera hood is a "skin over" but the Mera decklid is a complete replacement part. That is why there are no factory VIN stickers on it.

The Formula was only made in 1988, and was basically a stripped down GT that used the stock Coupe body work with the wing as standard equipment. As 88's go a Formula with no optional equipment had a weight, and performance advantage, over the GT with all the starndard, weight adding equipment, that came on it.

The 87 SE was basically the same body work as an 85 GT. However, you could get either a 4 or 6 cylinder engine in the SE and all SE's had quad exhaust tips, even with the 4 cyl.
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

Dan,

The Mera hood is a "skin over" but the Mera decklid is a complete replacement part. That is why there are no factory VIN stickers on it.

so there is no Fiero parts under the Rear lid?
if so, good.... my underside is suspposed to look like that, right?

and just got off the Phone with another Rick....Owner of the SanDeigo Mera....#7029....VIN'd SE.....ROUND TRUNK!!

goal!!!!!!!!!! now for the '86 proto-type......and Mera Glory!!

Dan

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

batousai666

4222 posts
Member since Jun 2009

Dan,
The Formula was only made in 1988, and was basically a stripped down GT that used the stock Coupe body work with the wing as standard equipment.

The 87 SE was basically the same body work as an 85 GT.

1st is the top line in your quote why Tom has a Square Trunk, if indeed it is a stripped GT?? follow me?
is the GT model akin with square trunks across the board??

#2 does the 1985 GT have a Square or round trunk??
i cant find any rear end pics of the cars by punching in the words that spell say,....."1988 Fiero Formula Trunk" Why??

time for dinner....*anxiety*
dan

Wayne Wm. Peterson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wayne Wm. PetersonSend a Private Message to Wayne Wm. PetersonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dan, I resent the photos as JPEG's, hope this helps. My system has been nuts all day, sun spots maybe?

Since my Mera is on an 88' GT and is the number two car I may have some of your answers (or just more questions). Let me know what shots any of you need, and I will e-mail to you Dan, if that's OK? I sure wish my MAC could use this sites P.I.P posting!

WWP
mera7

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2011 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i think we should put this in dans mera... lol

[This message has been edited by mera7 (edited 01-14-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
reholmes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reholmesSend a Private Message to reholmesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dan, I resent the photos as JPEG's, hope this helps. My system has been nuts all day, sun spots maybe?

Since my Mera is on an 88' GT and is the number two car I may have some of your answers (or just more questions). Let me know what shots any of you need, and I will e-mail to you Dan, if that's OK? I sure wish my MAC could use this sites P.I.P posting!

WWP

Try PhotoBucket, easy to post.

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BRINGITT!! i am taking donations....and/or will work for this Swap....hell any swap!
i am a hard worker and will do most anything.....no homo!

how much shipped? hahahahahaaaaaa!!!!
better yet....i will come get it! thanks Mike!! hahahahaaa!

here we go!!!! BOOM!!

for WWP.....no worries on the postin.
it keeps me in the loop as far as collecting the photos for future...reference

ohhhhhhh......are those pointed engine slats????
on a 1988 Mera? "good news, good news!!"

Dan

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 01-14-2011).]

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

batousai666

4222 posts
Member since Jun 2009
hey does the "outie" of the trunk lid, fit into the trunk hole?
or does it sit on top of the aluminum?
mine sits on top.

according to the guy i talked to yesterday...Mera #7029 and Mera X are alike.....round hole.

D
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

batousai666

4222 posts
Member since Jun 2009

All it requires are the trunk square off pieces (look like a large 'D') made of plastic and a GT trunk gasket. Back in the day I would guess a cost less than $200.00. Not even labor intensive to change over could be done in 20 minutes or less prior to the installation of the rear clip.

*edit*
its the gasket comment. I did not have the gasket they, Corporate Concepts, had the gasket....i bought this way.
it looks old enough to me to be the org. i know 10yrs can look like 20 yrs.
but why would a 308 kit guy want a round trunk when Ferrari 308's have square? No?

please do not take this like i am upset, for i am not.....wish Indy, would come back and help me understand his point of view, tho.
and with some pictures.
i see he has done both Kits and real Meras and i respect his opinion.
Indy. please elaborate.....at least someone wants to play Meras
*EndEdit*

ok i still dont see a difference in the underside of any of our lids.....and with all the GT parts lying around C.C. well into production

$200 seems way out there. 4 hrs $50 an hour....in1988?? NOT! they already have the parts....free.... gasket,square blank offs, from the numerous 1987 GT's converted. it could be as simple as simple as that. after they stopped using the GT's.....they still carried on like no big deal.....but in the early days....this needed to be hashed out..i say this because they used a 1986 SE for the proto....follow me. its Round. if it has blank off's like mine.....yea! after they started using the GT's....they started with the square.....no need for the rounded corners....lessen another "Custom" SE install.....#7029 for instance.

the Formula= coupe....because of the sunroof?? humm.....or the lack there of.....
in 1987 what is the difference in the SE and the GT if you were to take the Fiero Panels off.....juxtaposed to the 88 formula?

more to ponder.....

now i do not know how many Formulas were converted...would be nice to know.

i do know so far 3 SE have been Mera-ized.
that dont sound right "Mare-a" -"ized" ....right? "Mare-A" not "Meer-A"..... "A"- "mare" -"i-"-"ca"
anyway......
its wierd they used the '86 SE as a proto, but it was the custumer who ordered the Fiero for conversion, after that.
i have photo proof of an SE in the factory being converted. with that and the Proto....i will debate me having a Kit....till it is proven by more than a oval hole. i could cut it to look just like the GT.anyway.

which brings a request....can one (ALL) of you snap a few pics of the opening without the gasket.
what is the gasket attached to on the sides? all the way to the panel in the back.
i see my alum is cut around the aluminum brackets that attach the "FastBack" triangle panel.
thats another thing the blankoff alum.....is it stamped cut, hand cut, or what?? mine look pretty straight even on any radius.....takes a steady hand.

off to ponder....
D

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

batousai666

4222 posts
Member since Jun 2009
heres a new one to me.....just got bumped from 2008?

http://www.westcoastfieros....um_posts.asp?TID=402

found it while looking for F-Car 308 trunk pics......so far it may look like the 308's had round corners.
even the F-Car guys dont post pictures no good shots of the whole rear with the lid open

i better prepare for retailation

Dan

*EDIT* i guess it is both.

thats it. i am done......come whatever may.....i am ready.

if i knew Mera X, was a kit i would be soooo ready for that engine Mike.....you know?

Dan

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

batousai666

4222 posts
Member since Jun 2009
boy what a mess....after shoveling coffee and drinking snow for 3-4 hrs....i get all worked up.
i got to shorten these up a bit. itss one post and an hour of edits.....you know that right. that is why it looks like 3 people talkin in my posts..... i am mental!

that babble above has its merits, but needs a freash mind.
all i got to say to finish my problem in the trunk area is.....if i had a square trunk on an SE......

#1 it IS a OEM Mera Trait. the Square Trunks....or......
#2 if it did. i would be upset because it IS an SE.....with a round one.
why, like Tom said would take the time and money to do that?

in my industrial construction job...."we go with what we got". i feel this is a definate CC slogan.

really we are talking about the cut of the Aluminum Mera Blank Offs.

with that said i now agree with Indy's statement that its all about the Gasket,that CC had on hand, at the time.
very early 1987

D

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

batousai666

4222 posts
Member since Jun 2009

as far as my VIN. it codes to a 1987 SE Fiero.
code 9 engine #
the 9384 Fiero made in 1986/87 door date 10/86.....perfect for a Proto-type.......getyasum!!

D

wocka....wocka....

anybody know the month considered to be, day one regular Mera Production?? and year??
is it in 1987??

dam i should know this....time for the newsletters
D

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dan,

Why not put this in your car? All of my Meras have modified/swapped engines and I am quite happy with that fact. Just to whet your appetite, this is what is going into one of my 88s at this time.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 01-14-2011).]

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
man you guys.....better be ready to meet me when you are done. BOTH OF YOU
i got crap loads of gas cards "as price of admittion"
lookin good Nelson.

now maybe i am not seein the picture here.....is my gasket not Fiero?
it seems like in the case of the rounded corners the on the SE Mera. the fiero's trunk gasket is much bigger. the area in question too. i am still trolling pics of trunks.....but it looks to me that the Fiero GT/SE if not all trunks go all the way....to the end. my aluminum cuts the trunk hole down and that where the gasket fits.

no?
i am trying...told ya....
D

*EDIT* naw seems like the GT Mera and the 1987 GT line right up....

so its up to the 1987 SE ......trunk gasket length.....dunndunnduhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!
see it goes to the Fiero end....no under cut....like with the 1988 GT's. huh? thats a good eye, eh?
at least with the 4 cly coupe....

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

batousai666

4222 posts
Member since Jun 2009

Originally posted by hnthomps:

Dan,

Why not put this in your car? All of my Meras have modified/swapped engines and I am quite happy with that fact. Just to whet your appetite, this is what is going into one of my 88s at this time.

Nelson

ohhh you guys got me....seeing as i am sold that i have to keep Mera X stock
i have turned my attentions to the V8 Fiero.....or the big boy for me.....Fiero X, his set up in a car......or an old car of his. i like the twin turbo idea.....but i also want to track drive....we got a good one over here on the West side of MI and i want to frequent the place often, passing cars all day....then drive home. so i got my eyes open.

good luck with the builds and Godspeed......to you both

Dan

PFF
System Bot
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dan the SE/85 GT bodywork was not used in 1988. Only the Coupe and GT. The Formula uses the coupe bodywork with the rear spoiler. You could also equipe a coupe with the rear spoiler, but it would not come with the 15 black crosslace wheels like the Formula or the quad exhaust tips. Also the Formula used the coupe 4 spoke steering wheel. That is why stock 88 Formula based Meras still have this wheel, instead of the GT steering wheel my Mera has. I am still wondering why 88 Formula Mera's had the square trunk opening installed. Perhaps Coorporate Concepts found they sealed better with the square opening.

Option wise an 88 Formula could be built as a no A/C, manual, with crank windows, or be optioned up with automatic, sunroof, t-top,cruise, and power windows and locks. The only things not available on a Formula but either standard, or optional, on a GT were power mirrors, factory leather, gold crosslace wheels, power lumbar drivers seat (cloth only), and the Performance Sound (Subwoofer).

Hope this helps.......
Wayne Wm. Peterson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wayne Wm. PetersonSend a Private Message to Wayne Wm. PetersonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ok... pop quiz to all my fellow magnum pi freaks...lol.... what kind of car did tm drive before the infamous ferrari? and what color was it?

This will drive you nuts, BUT....Magnum's FIRST CAR was actually a 1954 DeSoto Firedome!* He had it in High School and at The Academy.

* "Mixed Doubles", "Distant Relative"

WWP
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This will drive you nuts, BUT....Magnum's FIRST CAR was actually a 1954 DeSoto Firedome!* He had it in High School and at The Academy.

* "Mixed Doubles", "Distant Relative"

WWP

In my best Johnny Carson voice....." I did not know that"
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dan the SE/85 GT bodywork was not used in 1988. Only the Coupe and GT. The Formula uses the coupe bodywork with the rear spoiler. You could also equipe a coupe with the rear spoiler, but it would not come with the 15 black crosslace wheels like the Formula or the quad exhaust tips. Also the Formula used the coupe 4 spoke steering wheel. That is why stock 88 Formula based Meras still have this wheel, instead of the GT steering wheel my Mera has. I am still wondering why 88 Formula Mera's had the square trunk opening installed. Perhaps Coorporate Concepts found they sealed better with the square opening.

Option wise an 88 Formula could be built as a no A/C, manual, with crank windows, or be optioned up with automatic, sunroof, t-top,cruise, and power windows and locks. The only things not available on a Formula but either standard, or optional, on a GT were power mirrors, factory leather, gold crosslace wheels, power lumbar drivers seat (cloth only), and the Performance Sound (Subwoofer).

Hope this helps.......

hey Rick thanks.......but the formula got the suspention upgrades exclusive to the 88 GT only, right?
everything else listed is an option, correct. Fundmentally the Formula is closer to an GT than a SE, no?

is the Formula the only Notchback V6 option offered in 1988?

with Toms square corners i feel that they just kept the status quo going after they established their "way of doing things....."
made out of spare parts laying around....My car had no spare parts available because it was soooooooooooo early in the "hash out days".
you feel me.....

i think after a little investigation of my car.....maybe Tom does have round corners but back further inside the trunk under the aluminum.
mine extend past the picture posted and stop at the side wall/panel and curve back.
the standard OEM Fiero SE trunk opening......i need pics of the whole back end, no gasket and close ups of the ends......

from wayne......this guy is all Mera,excited. i feel a Roadtrip to Wisconsin may be in order for Mera X this Summer......

Dan

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

batousai666

4222 posts
Member since Jun 2009
sooooo if i wanted to make Mera X square.....would i not just cut right angles in the alum and get a GT gasket.....not that i am going to but is that what you guys have......square aluminum blank outs??...... or no? that is the real question. then is your aluminum blank outs pop rivited to the Fiero Trunk.....thats where mine is rounded.....i wonder if Toms is?
Hey Tommy your turn.......

Dan

heres something......i bet i do have a leaky trunk. i need a Rubber seal like Richard.....

and Rick/Mike How can we use this to achieve our F-Car sound??

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

batousai666

4222 posts
Member since Jun 2009
is this TRUE???? Mera #7029 has T tops....how do i tell if they are the factory T-Tops??
i know we talked about this....did it ever pan out?

Nobody really seems to know the exact breakdown of colors with the t-top cars. There are also a couple different formula t-top numbers out there one is 299 and the other is 547. I think 299 is the right one. Either way it is rare. I also think the the brown interior is very rare in any Formula reguardless of roof type. The only thing that might hurt the price is the auto, most people seem to be looking for a 5 speed. If it's in good condition, no rust. I think it would be worth 4200. But I do have a big preference for t-top Formulas.

Wayne Wm. Peterson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wayne Wm. PetersonSend a Private Message to Wayne Wm. PetersonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you saying that the T-Top was an option? I thought it only came on the Indy Pace Cars?
Are there also Mera's with T-Tops too? Now I am confused, not as bad as Dan though.

WWP
reholmes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reholmesSend a Private Message to reholmesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

heres something......i bet i do have a leaky trunk. i need a Rubber seal like Richard.....

Dan,

I didn't do the strips along the sides of the deck lid, they were there when I bought it, and I can't imagine how they would help anything--unless to dampen a rattle.
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are you saying that the T-Top was an option? I thought it only came on the Indy Pace Cars?
Are there also Mera's with T-Tops too? Now I am confused, not as bad as Dan though.

WWP

yulp........Mera #7029.....$9,990. SanDiego.

l just got the low down.....1988 only CJB T Tops.
any other are Cars&Concepts.....<----thats the confusing part--->.....Corporate Concepts.....both in MI.

see i have found the data now its time to order the data....i think its time to takeoff from the PFF for a while....
focus on the Mera stuff. i am done collecting. time to fill in the blanks

see you in the funny papers......i will be back with The Mera Truth?

Daniel

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 178 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115   116   117   118   119   120   121   122   123   124   125   126   127   128   129   130   131   132   133   134   135   136   137   138   139   140   141   142   143   144   145   146   147   148   149   150   151   152   153   154   155   156   157   158   159   160   161   162   163   164   165   166   167   168   169   170   171   172   173   174   175   176   177   178 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock