Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  A Real Mera in Paradise (Page 169)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 178 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115   116   117   118   119   120   121   122   123   124   125   126   127   128   129   130   131   132   133   134   135   136   137   138   139   140   141   142   143   144   145   146   147   148   149   150   151   152   153   154   155   156   157   158   159   160   161   162   163   164   165   166   167   168   169   170   171   172   173   174   175   176   177   178 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
A Real Mera in Paradise by Fiero-in-Paradise
Started on: 08-18-2009 04:06 AM
Replies: 7110 (186862 views)
Last post by: Vernonmera on 11-25-2023 05:59 PM
dartrav

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2018 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dartravClick Here to visit dartrav's HomePageSend a Private Message to dartravEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also have a line on a certified stock 88 mera, thoughts on it's value?
IP: Logged
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2018 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dartrav:

Here's a link to the Mera that recently sold on ebay if you didn't see it. I have an 88 also and it would take way more that that to buy it but it seems that not very many people are aware of what a Mera is and they aren't willing to pay very much any that come up for sale.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19...dt=true&rt=nc&_trksi d=p2047675.l2557
dartrav

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2018 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dartravClick Here to visit dartrav's HomePageSend a Private Message to dartravEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryinkc:

Here's a link to the Mera that recently sold on ebay if you didn't see it. I have an 88 also and it would take way more that that to buy it but it seems that not very many people are aware of what a Mera is and they aren't willing to pay very much any that come up for sale.

[URL=https://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Replica-Kit-Makes-MERA-Rare-5-SPEED-3800-SUPERCHARGED-w-Upgraded-Interior-/302807846298?hash=item4680c10d9a%3Ag%3AFtsAAOSw8e5a1Vpw&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=%252BOKNTTrDWImvn6DskAvcHvkBWyI%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_ trksi]https://www.ebay.com/itm/19...dt=true&rt=nc&_trksi[/URL] d=p2047675.l2557

I found this one that recently sold in California as well for $15,900.

http://www.desertauto.com/v...-PONTIAC-FIERO-MERA/

Would $16k for a rust free model in excellent condition and an upgraded engine be the retail market?
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2018 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In addition to the ones that I own, I know of at least one other 1988 Mera that may be for sale at this time. Ship me a PM if you want more info on it.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 08-06-2018).]

Rexgirl

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2018 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nelson's cars are very nice and would be a better value than the red car in your link. There are usually one or two very solid Mera's available each year, found on this forum. I know of one myself.
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2018 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, about two months ago a guy in Seattle area had a nice 88 Gt for sale as well as a Ferrari kit with a 4.9 in it. The weakness was that the trans was somewhat messed up. It had a very nice replica Ferrari interior , great wheels, nice paint. Once the 88 GT sold it appears he took the Replica off the market. I was watching closely, because I thought it was a good buy at $9500. I just didn't have the room.
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2018 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bjc 350

951 posts
Member since Oct 2005
Sorry, my first ever double post??!

[This message has been edited by bjc 350 (edited 08-06-2018).]

dartrav

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2018 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dartravClick Here to visit dartrav's HomePageSend a Private Message to dartravEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the continued info, I really appreciate all the help from the entire forum. I've been getting a ton of feedback from folks all over the map.

I'll try to see if I can find the posts to have a look. Yes, $9500 does sound like a good buy. I'm not afraid of doing some work, in fact, I expect I will do some even if I get a daily from someone. My expertise and experience are with mechanics and electronics. I'd prefer ( but don't require) that the body and interior be pretty much good to go.

I've bumbled into a bit of luck. Nelson has one of his personal stock in Georgia being painted. He's graciously offered to let me go over and have a look. I haven't seen one in person yet.

I'm going to go out hopefully in the next couple of days and take a look at one of Nelson's, live and in the flesh.

THANK YOU, NELSON!!!!!!!

Originally posted by bjc 350:

Well, about two months ago a guy in Seattle area had a nice 88 Gt for sale as well as a Ferrari kit with a 4.9 in it. The weakness was that the trans was somewhat messed up. It had a very nice replica Ferrari interior , great wheels, nice paint. Once the 88 GT sold it appears he took the Replica off the market. I was watching closely, because I thought it was a good buy at $9500. I just didn't have the room.

dartrav

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2018 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dartravClick Here to visit dartrav's HomePageSend a Private Message to dartravEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An update on our search for a father-son car.

My son and I reviewed all the options we'd found last night. Somewhat surprisingly, I think he'd rather get something that needs MORE work, rather than less, but we're still talking through it.

We're hoping to see our first MERA in person in the next two weeks or so.

We're planning to look at a couple of Fiero kit cars over the next week as well.

I'd still love to hear from folks on a couple of points specifically.

1. Fiero kit vs MERA
1A 308/328 kit vs 355

2. Is a V6 plenty of engine or is there substantive benefit to a V8 besides maybe a track day here and there Obviously the work to put in a V8 is extensive having to touch frame, suspension, brakes, fuel pump, battery relo, etc. but if I'm buying with a v8 am I really getting anything besides a few more ponies when I can use them and higher fuel and insurance cost?

3. 87 vs 88 - I think have a good handle on the difference but it seems to me that if I'm willing (which I am) to make mods (suspension, power items, etc) then I really shouldn't care

4. Power Steering - I've read arguments for and against. Should I put it in / leave it in? I read some people like it and some don't, is that the end of the discussion?
Rexgirl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2018 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Many people on Pennocks have felt that if you can buy a car where much of the repair/renewal work has been completed you will be better off, even if the purchase price is higher. Starting with a reliable base makes modifying/personalizing your car much more enjoyable. There are too many Fiero projects sitting unfinished that end up becoming parts cars. Executing just some of the mods you've mentioned should give you ~plenty~ of Father-Son work.

As every kit are made from molds that trace their beginnings to a Mera, kit quality suffers. Many kit's molds were made from other kits. And there were corners cut to keep the profits higher such as thinner or sprayed fiberglass. The highest quality bodies are Mera's.

Probably the engine swap that brings the most joy is the 3800 S/C swap. Not a lot of added weight over the stock engine is also a benefit.
dartrav

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2018 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dartravClick Here to visit dartrav's HomePageSend a Private Message to dartravEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again for the info.

Does seem the 3800SC is the preferred swap from what I've seen so far.

Originally posted by Rexgirl:

Many people on Pennocks have felt that if you can buy a car where much of the repair/renewal work has been completed you will be better off, even if the purchase price is higher. Starting with a reliable base makes modifying/personalizing your car much more enjoyable. There are too many Fiero projects sitting unfinished that end up becoming parts cars. Executing just some of the mods you've mentioned should give you ~plenty~ of Father-Son work.

As every kit are made from molds that trace their beginnings to a Mera, kit quality suffers. Many kit's molds were made from other kits. And there were corners cut to keep the profits higher such as thinner or sprayed fiberglass. The highest quality bodies are Mera's.

Probably the engine swap that brings the most joy is the 3800 S/C swap. Not a lot of added weight over the stock engine is also a benefit.

PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2018 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My son and I reviewed all the options we'd found last night. Somewhat surprisingly, I think he'd rather get something that needs MORE work, rather than less, but we're still talking through it.

We're planning to look at a couple of Fiero kit cars over the next week as well.

1. Fiero kit vs MERA
1A 308/328 kit vs 355

2. Is a V6 plenty of engine or is there substantive benefit to a V8 besides maybe a track day here and there Obviously the work to put in a V8 is extensive having to touch frame, suspension, brakes, fuel pump, battery relo, etc. but if I'm buying with a v8 am I really getting anything besides a few more ponies when I can use them and higher fuel and insurance cost?

3. 87 vs 88 - I think have a good handle on the difference but it seems to me that if I'm willing (which I am) to make mods (suspension, power items, etc) then I really shouldn't care

4. Power Steering - I've read arguments for and against. Should I put it in / leave it in? I read some people like it and some don't, is that the end of the discussion?

I will give you my personal opinions on the questions posed but they are worth exactly what you pay for them.

1. I personally like the Mera over a 308/328 kit. Note that my first Fiero was a F308 rebody on an 86 SE vehicle. The Mera body was factory assembled and is a higher quality than the kits that I have seen. I also like having an unique low production number car for shows so the Mera wins there too.

1A. If I had to get a kit again, I would choose a known supplier for a F355 kit rather than the 308/328 kit body. The true test is the quality of the kit body and how much work you need to do to make everything fit correctly prior to an expensive paint job.

2. The answer to this question is it all depends on the V6 selected and how much performance you want to get out of the vehicle. The initial 2.8 L V6 is somewhat anemic wrt HP (even when new) and the 3.4 push rod is an upgrade that is basically a drop in. The 3800 Series II (N/A or SC) is a HP improvement but requires some electrical work to combine the donor wiring with the Fiero harness. You get a lot of HP for the dollar with this swap but some people say that the exhaust note is bad. I have a SC Series II and a SC Series III engine and do not have a similar opinion wrt the exhaust note. It may depend on how you run the exhaust as well as the system components selected. V8s are nice but do require additional work with the harness/fuel management system, frame modifications, adapter plate for the transmission, etc. and may drink a few more gallons of gas that a V6 but it all depends on how you drive the car. All swaps other than potentially the push rod 3.4 engine are likely to require a different fuel pump. I have relocated the battery to under the spare tire on all of my Meras to make battery swaps more convenient and slightly improve the front/rear weight distribution properties.

3. 87 versus 88 is personal preference. I have added rear stabilizer bars to both of my 87s and am happy with the result. Some people have swapped out the 87 rear suspension/cradle and installed the 88 suspension but I personally am unlikely to go that far for what I consider some minor performance improvements. Other people may have differing thoughts on this issue.

4. Power steering. I have wider than stock tires (265 x 50 x 15) on most of the Meras and can live with the standard steering. It makes it more difficult to get the cars in and out of tight spaces without using some muscle power at low speeds. Handling is quite adequate at higher speeds (greater than 10-15 mph). That being said, I do have one of the factory experimental EHPS units that will go on one of my 88s at some point in time (if I can make it functional). I may change my mind about power steering with my wide tires once that happens.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 08-10-2018).]

dartrav

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2018 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dartravClick Here to visit dartrav's HomePageSend a Private Message to dartravEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All excellent points Nelson.

Do let me know about your experience with the power steering mod when you do it.

I'm inclined to keep the PS off (depending on my starting point).

Anyone else with a differing view, please chime in. I love a good discussion!
reholmes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2018 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reholmesSend a Private Message to reholmesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1. Fiero kit vs MERA
1A 308/328 kit vs 355

I have pretty strong opinions on '87 vs 88, but they are not consistent with community doctrine. I've had two '88s and an '87 and in day-to-day driving it's hard to see a big difference--oh, maybe less bounce steer. However, when it comes to parts availability and cost there can be a big difference--some '88 stuff is becoming very rare. If you are looking for a particular car and all you find are '88s, of course, buy it, but don't reject an '87 cuz you think it's not a performer. Just my dos centavos.

------------------

Dick
Mera #8046 (Miss January, Mile High Fieros 2014 calendar)
1987 GT T-boned (RIP)
1988 GT T-Top (The Fiero Store Calendar: Miss February 2012)
1987 McBurnie Daytona Spyder

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2018 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to revisit one of the points made to you. For your father and son project buy the best condition starting point you can. Minimize the mandatory work you must do so you can spend the time doing what you want to do. Enjoy the bonding time making it your own unique car, not making it run and drive spending five times the amount of its value on simple things. The value will be in the time spent regardless of what that time is spent on, not on the money spent.
Rexgirl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2018 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In regards to keeping this project enjoyable, some Fiero engine swaps can be daunting. If you wish to own one of those swaps, you might want to buy a car with your engine of choice already fitted and sorted.
My Dad taught me about cars and it was wonderful. He was pretty savvy about what I was ready for and when.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2018 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I came across this while waiting for my next flight out of Miami to go:

https://treasure.craigslist...lica/6656897405.html

Looks like a nice start if someone has the gumption!
JR

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 08-13-2018).]

dartrav

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2018 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dartravClick Here to visit dartrav's HomePageSend a Private Message to dartravEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks all for the continued comments, keep them coming.

Thanks Johnyrottin for this link. I have seen this one and think it's an awesome job so far, but I'm a little bit concerned about the amount of work left.

Like you and other has said, I'd like something driveable day 1 with most of what I want and the just do the fun stuff.

Now, what do I want?

We're thinking we'd like a manual, AC, v6 or better and ferrari styilng. So a MERA or a kit look like good options for us.

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

I cam across this while waiting for my next flight out of Miami to go:

https://treasure.craigslist...lica/6656897405.html

Looks like a nice start if someone has the gumption!
JR

Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2018 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went to the 35th Anniversary Show with the hope that someone would bring another Mera. Mine is the only one I have seen. The current owner of the 1986 prototype brought it to the show. I got to meet Drew, very nice guy and helped him push it out of the Poncho Perfection Hall of Fieros at the end of the show. He is doing a great job of taking care of it.

[This message has been edited by Larryinkc (edited 08-13-2018).]

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2018 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I went to the 35th Anniversary Show with the hope that someone would bring another Mera. Mine is the only one I have seen. The current owner of the 1986 prototype brought it to the show. I got to meet Drew, very nice guy and helped him push it out of the Poncho Perfection Hall of Fieros at the end of the show. He is doing a great job of taking care of it.

My wife had not seen a Mera before. So at the show there were 2. Now that she has, on the way home, half of the 5-1/2 hour trip were questions about the Mera. LOL

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 08-27-2018).]

hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2018 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

My wife had not seen a Mera before. Now that she has, on the way home, several hours of the 5/12 hour trip were questions about the Mera. LOL

If you are ever in SC, feel free to bring your wife to see a number of Meras in one location. I currently have four and am happy to show them off a bit.

Nelson
PFF
System Bot
dartrav

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2018 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dartravClick Here to visit dartrav's HomePageSend a Private Message to dartravEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice shots of the 6001 from the 35th.

My son and I are headed out tomorrow to get our tour of the Nelson four, er, three since his show car ( dang it ) is being painted right now.

Thanks Nelson! See you tomorrow.
dartrav

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2018 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dartravClick Here to visit dartrav's HomePageSend a Private Message to dartravEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Nelson for a great tour.

We starting to zero in on what we want. We're pretty sure about the 308/328 styling. We're wanting a stick, upgraded v6+ and a custom dash (I figure we'll have to do that part).

Other than that, we're still not totally decided on MERA or not but we'd LIKE to have a MERA if we can work it out.

We've seen and driven fieros and seen MERA's. We've yet to drive a kit car fiero, but I'm not expecting much difference unless/until I get into a V8 model.

Anymore advice or thoughts are always welcome. We're hoping to get to the finish line soon on our initial purchase and then the fun starts.
Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2018 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a 308 on craigslist on an 88 in Virginia Beach. He says it's a Mera, it has the Escort backup lights but doesn't look like it has the door panel toppers, may or not be a real Mera. It has T tops, Chromadora wheels and a Northstar with an auto trans.

https://norfolk.craigslist....1988/6636859946.html

"Real, live, low mileage 1988 Pontiac MERA Spyder (with T-Tops), NorthStar 300 hp V8 automatic, rare power steering, power windows, A/C, leather seats, slotted and drilled rotors, wool carpets upgrade, Dakota Digital instrumentation, upgraded radio, new tires . Although the seats in the foto look light gray, they're the same color as the updated dash...dark gray. VERY FAST(more than twice the horsepower and torque of the original engine)...If you're unfamiliar with MERA, google it and see what a limited production vehicle it was...Ferrari sued the company and forced the end of production after just 247 were built. These rare cars are now bringing upwards of $16/20,000 and collector's in the know are showing interest as prices have been edging up for the last three or four years. This is one of the rarest of the rare....only the 1988 models were built with the up-graded and very desirable Lotus-type multilink suspension, with the original Cromodora wheels custom made in Italy specifically for Meras.... needs only a bit of TLC. I bought it nearly three years ago, and put it in storage 'til I had the time to completely restore... "

[This message has been edited by Larryinkc (edited 08-21-2018).]

hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2018 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here's a 308 on craigslist on an 88 in Virginia Beach. He says it's a Mera, it has the Escort backup lights but doesn't look like it has the door panel toppers, may or not be a real Mera. It has T tops, Chromadora wheels and a Northstar with an auto trans.

"Real, live, low mileage 1988 Pontiac MERA Spyder (with T-Tops), NorthStar 300 hp V8 automatic, rare power steering, power windows, A/C, leather seats, slotted and drilled rotors, wool carpets upgrade, Dakota Digital instrumentation, upgraded radio, new tires . Although the seats in the foto look light gray, they're the same color as the updated dash...dark gray. VERY FAST(more than twice the horsepower and torque of the original engine)...If you're unfamiliar with MERA, google it and see what a limited production vehicle it was...Ferrari sued the company and forced the end of production after just 247 were built. These rare cars are now bringing upwards of $16/20,000 and collector's in the know are showing interest as prices have been edging up for the last three or four years. This is one of the rarest of the rare....only the 1988 models were built with the up-graded and very desirable Lotus-type multilink suspension, with the original Cromodora wheels custom made in Italy specifically for Meras.... needs only a bit of TLC. I bought it nearly three years ago, and put it in storage 'til I had the time to completely restore... "

Likely not a Mera based on the photos (mirrors, mirror controller, missing inner door panel extension, no Mera build number, slightly different looking spacing on the driver's side t-top than what I am used to seeing, etc.). There are really not enough photos included in this ad to determine authenticity. Tires do not appear to be wide enough to be stock Mera also. It does not appear to have the rear yellow tail light but maybe the lens is very dirty discolored over time (my Meras do not show this type of an issue with the OEM lenses).

Nelson
Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2018 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

Likely not a Mera based on the photos (mirrors, mirror controller, missing inner door panel extension, no Mera build number, slightly different looking spacing on the driver's side t-top than what I am used to seeing, etc.). There are really not enough photos included in this ad to determine authenticity. Tires do not appear to be wide enough to be stock Mera also. It does not appear to have the rear yellow tail light but maybe the lens is very dirty discolored over time (my Meras do not show this type of an issue with the OEM lenses).

Nelson

It's hard to tell for sure but it looks like the radio antenna is on the right front fender, most of the 308 kit cars I have seen have it on the rear fender.

sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post08-22-2018 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wasn't there a Mera found in a pick a part yard a while back? Who got the body?
dartrav

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2018 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dartravClick Here to visit dartrav's HomePageSend a Private Message to dartravEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK I'm going to the source. I got the VIN from the seller and asked Rodney if he can confirm.

Seller says he cleared the VIN with Rodney before HE bought it originally just over three years ago.
dartrav

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2018 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dartravClick Here to visit dartrav's HomePageSend a Private Message to dartravEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dartrav

34 posts
Member since Aug 2018
THANK YOU!!!!!!! I've been trying to find this guys name and number.

I've seen this car on several resale sites and couldn't ever get contact info.

dartrav

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2018 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dartravClick Here to visit dartrav's HomePageSend a Private Message to dartravEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dartrav

34 posts
Member since Aug 2018
I have confirmation. Rodney says it's a real MERA.

Thanks Rodney!
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2018 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have confirmation. Rodney says it's a real MERA.

Thanks Rodney!

It may well be a real Mera but a lot of th3e stock Mera items are not present on the car. Maybe one owner replaced a few of the original items with stock Fiero parts due to cost and/or availability.

Nelson

PFF
System Bot
dartrav

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2018 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dartravClick Here to visit dartrav's HomePageSend a Private Message to dartravEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I'm a noob, but I notice it seemed different in places as well.

If I owned this one, I'd try to put it back to showing properly.

As always, thanks Nelson!

Originally posted by hnthomps:

It may well be a real Mera but a lot of th3e stock Mera items are not present on the car. Maybe one owner replaced a few of the original items with stock Fiero parts due to cost and/or availability.

Nelson

Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2018 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, I'm a noob, but I notice it seemed different in places as well.

If I owned this one, I'd try to put it back to showing properly.

As always, thanks Nelson!

It all depends on what you want the end result to be. Mine wasn't all original when I got it so I could make it what I wanted without the guilt of making changes to a low production car. For me that has worked out great, it is much more fun than an all original Mera would be. Most people have never seen a Mera so they won't know the difference anyway.

dartrav

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2018 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dartravClick Here to visit dartrav's HomePageSend a Private Message to dartravEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
do you have pics of your somewhere that I can see?

It all depends on what you want the end result to be. Mine wasn't all original when I got it so I could make it what I wanted without the guilt of making changes to a low production car. For me that has worked out great, it is much more fun than an all original Mera would be. Most people have never seen a Mera so they won't know the difference anyway.

Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2018 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

do you have pics of your somewhere that I can see?

Here's a couple, It's the black Mera parked next to the prototype a few posts up on this page.

Here's another "308" unfinished project that showed up on ebay today.

[This message has been edited by Larryinkc (edited 02-06-2021).]

dartrav

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2018 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dartravClick Here to visit dartrav's HomePageSend a Private Message to dartravEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
VERY NICE! Beautiful interior.

That ebay post is hilarious. Thanks for sharing but we're a bit more traditional I guess.
Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2018 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

VERY NICE! Beautiful interior.

That ebay post is hilarious. Thanks for sharing but we're a bit more traditional I guess.

I get it. If you want a Mera I would watch this forum, ebay and do a search all craigslist once in a while. I found mine on craigslist ( http://www.searchcraigslist.org/ ) in Florida, I live in Missouri. It was definitely worth the trouble to go see it and have it shipped back.

I was ready to buy a 308 until a friend suggested that I should look into the cost of maintaining one. The purchase price isn't too bad but the monthly dues will get you. I didn't want a garage ornament, I drive my cars so I started checking out 308 kit cars which led me to the Mera. Six years later I have the classic lines of the 308 in a car that's reliable and probably more fun to drive.

Good luck in your quest for the right car.

Larry
dartrav

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2018 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dartravClick Here to visit dartrav's HomePageSend a Private Message to dartravEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a plan, thanks for the info!
Rexgirl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2018 03:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Larry, you and I think EXACTLY the same. The 308 was my first choice too, but if you wish to enjoy your car, the Mera makes soo much more sense!
Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2018 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I met a guy last year at a local car show that works at a shop that specializes in exotic cars. He liked the Mera and said that I should be glad I had chosen it instead of a 308. If I had a 308 I would need to figure $1.00 per mile driven for normal routine maintenance and who knows how much if something major needs repair. I'm glad I went for the Mera.

There is a real 308 around somewhere that has a Fiero V6 drivetrain swapped in it. The story I heard was the owner that did the swap got tired of dependability issues and the high maintenance cost of the Ferrari parts.

https://jalopnik.com/554252...st-reverse-fauxrarri
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 178 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115   116   117   118   119   120   121   122   123   124   125   126   127   128   129   130   131   132   133   134   135   136   137   138   139   140   141   142   143   144   145   146   147   148   149   150   151   152   153   154   155   156   157   158   159   160   161   162   163   164   165   166   167   168   169   170   171   172   173   174   175   176   177   178 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock