Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  RCR's body mods... (Page 7)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
RCR's body mods... by RCR
Started on: 06-15-2009 07:28 PM
Replies: 657 (38256 views)
Last post by: RCR on 11-17-2023 07:56 AM
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boy, when you double post, you don't mess around ........takes two pages!

oops...

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 06-27-2014).]

IP: Logged
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boy, when you double post, you don't mess around ........takes two pages!

Progress looks good to me, nice job on the door skins, still playing with that myself.

Rear vents look great.

Here's another little "ditty" found amongst the stuff from Barrie:

As you can see, it fits to the wheel well and is flipped to get both sides. Could've made a template of the template for you, but what you did looks just as good or better, just maybe would have saved a little time figuring size and placement.

Keep up the good work, and posting your progress.

I've "looked" at mine a couple times, but that's about as far as it's got.

HAGO!
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The progress is coming along nicely there Bob.

Originally posted by RCR:
I want to get a lot of the body out of the way first. I want to get it in a state similar to Bozzie's. Once i can get a good look of the profile, then I will make that decision.

I think you'll find that once you get the decklid fitted, the size of the rear window will already be substantially shorter than stock because of the height of the lid. Chopping the top will only shorten the rear glass even further. There is a limit to how small you can make the rear window before it starts to look strange... but I'm sure you'll find your own happy compromise. Keep up the good work!

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanx guys. it's been fun solving all of these issues. I've been vacationing in Florida for the last week, but it's time to get back to work.

Sage, that would have come in handy. I'm not sure if mine is like the original, but it's pretty close to my photoshop.

Blooze, I agree with you totally, but if I were to do it, I would also lower the rear deck, which I might do anyway. Time will tell...

Bob
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bob,

What part of Florida were you in ??
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
Bob,

What part of Florida were you in ??

I was at a Disney Resort (Pop) for a wedding, that was actually in Lake Mary, for three days. Then we went to Cocoa Beach for another three days. We had a great time.

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spent some time Saturday making a bigger mess.

More mockup

Cutting up a perfectly good door skin

Sides swapped

Looking down the door

Today's project: figure out how to glue it all together.

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002
More work today. Darn it was hot and humid out there.

Prepping to glue in the panel (when I say glue, I mean fiberglass )

View down the side

Side view.

Next on the agenda is to glass in the vent back wall and to finish glassing the door skin.

Bob
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good Bob!

Should you need additional door skins to play with, get ahold of Doug, as there are quite a few among the Fejer parts from Barrie, that'll probably never get used otherwise. I'm sure he'd cut you a great deal.

The heat makes the glass kick faster, just also makes it uncomfortable for us resin slingers, unfortunately.

Keep up the good work!

HAGO!
dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bob it is looking really great!!
interesting concept with the doors. Have you tried lowering the window to see if there is any binding?
I love the lower scoops are you planning on making them functional with ducting.
I've been busy on mine finally got the rear quarter to where I want it Don and I should be glassing the rear quarter soon.
I'll post some pics in a few days
Wayne
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am amazed at your talents.
PFF
System Bot
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love how you stick the pics of the cars on the window. Total old school. And great work!
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments and suggestions.

Sage: thanks for the heads up. Let me know when that front spoiler is ready. I'm eager to see what it looks like.

Wayne: yes, the plan is to make it functional, even the back ones. I think I might use the top for the air intake, the bottom ones will be for brakes, and the back will be oil coolers (trans/oil).
At least that's what I'm thinking now...

Steve: thanx, FWIW, I got an A on my paper mache dinosar head back in 7'th grade art class. Maybe that fortold of things to come.

Jason: I don't know if it's old school or not, but it's better than having my work laptop out in the garage.

Bob

PS: Nothing going on at the moment. too much work, then off to vacation again for the weekend.

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 07-01-2014).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a lot of progress, but I did fix my snowmobile hood (wife removed it from machine last winter).

I did work on the vent a little, doing some sculpting. I'm not really sure how to pull it all together, the inner vent and outer cover. I'm leaning towards two pieces, but not sure if there's an easier way.

I also ordered some fiberglass mat and 4lb 2-part foam. I've never used the stuff, so this should be interesting. I also found a source that seemed really cheap compared to everyone else. I guess I'll see if I got what I paid for...

http://www.carbonfiberglass.com/

Couple pics...

Bob
355Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bob;

The project is looking great. I like the door skin mounting solution and the lower section swapping. Great idea to simplify the process.....

Bump for updates.

Cheers
Don
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanx for checking in, Don.

Slung a little glass around over the weekend between other projects.

Here's a couple layers on the internal portion of the vent.

Here's the inner portion of the vent cover. This will be a laminated part (FG/foam/FG) that will cover the vent. I've spent a lot of time noodling how to put this all together and still have access to all of the parts for finishing. I still haven't figured that out yet...

So while I figure that out, I started filling in the depressions left from repairing the broken quarter panel.

Last night I started pulling together plans for the rear. I'm still waiting on the package from iLLStreet Composites with the foam and glass.

Bob

355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bob;

This vent concept is the same idea as what the 355 door vent has. My recommendation is to complete all the body work on the pieces you started yesterday while you can get at it. Makes it much easier than getting small sanding blocks and sanding in behind the outside vent panel. Once you are complete with the shaping and sanding of the inner parts on the car, finish the inward face of the outside panel you show above. Again, the side you have showing in your pic, I assume is your inner side of the outer vent panel. (sorry for the confusing inner outer stuff. hope it makes sense....) Clean that side up as much as you can and finish it as smooth as you can, except for the portion of the panel that will be touching the other vent parts when assembled. Again, I assume that will be the top and bottom areas of the vent panel.

Once all the individual pieces are pretty much cleaned up and looking pretty, glue the outer panel to the rest of the vent on the car. You should now have a completed vent with both inner surfaces pretty much ready for final touch up at the seams and the outer surface to clean up and your vent is good to go.... Not much reaching in a confined space to clean up surfaces this way.

Does that make sense??

Cheers
Don

[This message has been edited by 355Fiero (edited 07-22-2014).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perfect sense, Don, and probably the way I was leaning. I'm really mulling over whether I want it to be removable, and how to do it. I'm thinking that maybe finish it like you said and just glue it on.

On a side note, the 2-part foam and supplies arrived.

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got to play with the foam a bit, just as a trial. I was surprised by the consistency of the finished foam. It's more like floral foam, which is harder, but not as dense as the foam board. Should be interesting to play with. I purchased the 4lb foam, which is what Fugazi is using on his creations at Madmechanics.

Then I continued with the rear panel prep. I cut out the portions that did not match my drawings, and I had some repairs to make. So I screwed in a bar to keep it straight, ground down the offending areas, and glassed them back together. I also mounted it to a flat surface covered in packing tape (first time I've used packing tape), and glassed in the new flat surface where the backup lights and license plate were.

That's it for now...

Bob

edit: The look I'm going for

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 07-24-2014).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got to play with the foam over the weekend. It took a while to figure out how to use pourable foam on a vertical surface. Thanx to a few ideas from MM, it turned out to be relatively easy, but it took a little while (like everything else).

So, I re-mounted the rear to the car, and started filling in the open areas with the sheet foam.

Then, using cardboard covered in packing tape, I framed in sections to contain the foam. This is a multi-step process, working my way up to where the foam needs to be.

I think I ended up doing 6 or 7 different pours of foam, about 1/3 of a solo cup each time. The foam expands about 15 times the volume of the chemicals.

Ready to get started with the carving...

Bob
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bob,
Sorry for the delay on the handles. I got back from vacation and the pet-sitter lost my cat.
I'll look in our emails for your shipping address. You've made more progress than any owner of this kit did in 5 years.
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierocarparts:

Bob,
Sorry for the delay on the handles. I got back from vacation and the pet-sitter lost my cat.
I'll look in our emails for your shipping address. You've made more progress than any owner of this kit did in 5 years.

No problem, Steve. I'll PM you my home address.

Bob
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...I purchased the 4lb foam, which is what Fugazi is using on his creations at Madmechanics.

I had not really heard of this "Fugazzi" person - so after a few minutes on Google, I am enlightened! His Sebring/Bentley kit was impressive, but watching the construction of his "Supercar" is amazing. Glad to see his talent being turned towards such a unique creation!

Keep up the great work yourself - I've enjoyed following your progress!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

akademikjeanius

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for akademikjeaniusSend a Private Message to akademikjeaniusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

I had not really heard of this "Fugazzi" person - so after a few minutes on Google, I am enlightened! His Sebring/Bentley kit was impressive, but watching the construction of his "Supercar" is amazing. Glad to see his talent being turned towards such a unique creation!

Keep up the great work yourself - I've enjoyed following your progress!

This is an awesome build thread!! I bow to your talents, RCR.

In regards to that Fugazzi thread, I was flipping through random post and somebody took a dig at us "Fiero Gents" in that very same thread! Hahahahahaha!!

[This message has been edited by akademikjeanius (edited 07-30-2014).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by akademikjeanius:

This is an awesome build thread!! I bow to your talents, RCR.

In regards to that Fugazzi thread, I was flipping through random post and somebody took a dig at us "Fiero Gents" in that very same thread! Hahahahahaha!!

Thank you... As for the "hater's", whatever. My brakes are real...

MinnGreenGT: Thanx for the cudos...

Bob

fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How easy is that foam to work with? I'm needing to fill in some holes on my Finale/Fino rear clip.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RCR it is looking good. I am amazed at your speed and work. Keep it going!
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 04-08-2015).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierocarparts:

How easy is that foam to work with? I'm needing to fill in some holes on my Finale/Fino rear clip.

Steve: Vertical surfaces are a bit of a challenge, but it's real easy to work with. It's a little harder than the foam board so I'm going to find some cheeze-grater type files to rough in the foam, then sand as usual. I'll glass directly over it when I'm happy with the finish.

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More fun with foam.

I added more...

Did some sketching based upon the rear image and started removing material.

Still a long way to go. I hope to have it roughed in today.

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002
And... A front shot back for the heck of it.

Bob
PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looking good
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A couple more from the weekend.

I decided to cut the bumperette/exhaust exits off. I will shape them separate. I'm also moving them up about an inch.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 08-12-2014).]

I FAR I

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for I FAR ISend a Private Message to I FAR IEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Modified front I forgot to post.

And modified rear shot.

Bob

That front-end is very nice -- but the rear end is STUNNING!

[This message has been edited by I FAR I (edited 09-01-2014).]

dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2014 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good The foam sure makes it easier to see where your going, loving the build Bob!!!
Lunatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2014 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Christ Bob,

Is there more hours in your week then in my week? Man you get lots done! It seems like you have lots of ambition, I like that. Keep up the good work.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2014 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanx Wayne. Waiting to see more of yours...

Originally posted by Lunatic:

Christ Bob,

Is there more hours in your week then in my week? Man you get lots done! It seems like you have lots of ambition, I like that. Keep up the good work.

In reality, it comes together very fast. I thought I'd have it in glass by now, but I was a bit burnt last weekend and only worked a couple hours. Thanx for the thoughts and checking in.

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanx Wayne. Waiting to see more of yours...

In reality, it comes together very fast. I thought I'd have it in glass by now, but I was a bit burnt last weekend and only worked a couple hours. Thanx for the thoughts and checking in.

Bob

Ok, the truth of the matter is, is that it goes quickly if you know what your doing. I don't. So it takes forever to get anything done.

It's a lot of staring at it, move something, stare at it, carve a litle, stare at it, repeat.

Here's where I'm at...

Bob
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow looking good!
dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Bob looks great but lets get the knife out a get that back end done LOL

wayne
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock