I didn't see anywhere I posted in this thread yet so,
I love the snubby design. I've looked at the front like on PK86s car but it is just to long for my taste. I also think the partial headlight lense looks tons better then the full cover. But, that's based off of cardboard. The finished look with lights installed and paint through clear covers may be different.
Bob, I've said it before and I'll say it again, you underestimate your skills! This is a fresh look at the Fiero nose and I think it ROCKS Are you going to make the lens covers clear or flip-up functional? If clear, I like the full cover, if flip up, I like the partial cover.
OK, a problem I was trying to overcome was the hood hitting the edge of the headlite pod as the hood is opened. The hood is not hinged right at the front lip (as everyone should know), which causes a small "overlap" that wouold rub on the pod. I though my only choice would be to make the pod edge very narrow, or leave a large gap. I was re-reading about Troyboy's car when I noticed Archie made a section that didn't move with the hood.
I immediately saw this as my solution.
And one from the other side:
I picked up some hood struts and hardware from the salvage yard yesterday. I may try to put that together today.
[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 11-28-2009).]
Except for the some finish welding, I installed the front hood struts today. They are currently bolted to the chassis, I'll weld them later. The struts are from the hood of a 3'rd gen Camaro/Firebird. I used one on each side.
My first attempt mounted the strut about 5" from the pivot. What I found was that the strut was too strong and I couldn't properly close the hood (only one strut at the time). So I reduced the lever arm and placed it at about 3" from the pivot. This is right on top of the mounting bolt, so I made up a double treaded bolt.
Sorry, these pics are a bit blurry...
welded and mounted:
Here's the bottom bracket, made from some scrap angle iron.
And some finished pics
[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 11-29-2009).]
There may be a problem with the way in which you mounted the strut for your hood.
Right now when your hood is closed it is going to be experiencing a bending load which could make it visibly deflect upwards in the middle. If you were to mount it more horizontally the load being applied to the hood will be less of a bending load and less likely to be visibly noticable deflection.
There was someone several years ago who designed some hood struts and started with the same configuration you have but changed the strut to be more horizontal after they noticed the hood deflection.
OK, weather is better and I had a couple days off. One of the issues I've been working around is how to shape the inside edges of the headlight pods. Too hard to get a tool in there and way too much sanding in a tight area, as seen here...
The only way to think of was to cut the backs out and work on the pod and back as seperate pieces. I'll glue it all back together before making the mold.
Here the back is cut and sitting back a couple inches for the pic.
Here's the other side with most of the filling/sanding complete.
I also fixed some winter/storeage damage. Now it'll be back to work on the main fascia. More later...
Back tracking. Just caught this thread. Help a dumb fella out? What kind of foam strips are you using?
------------------ Robb. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- It's A Pontiac thing What else Can I say?????? 1985 Fiero GT 1998 Sunfire Turbocharged 1996 Grand Prix
Alright...update. And I'm a little geeked about it. I finished the passenger side pod and created the mold (or at least the start of the mold).
Just before I started this project, I moved my battery under the headlight area. Well Murphy's Law kicked in just after I got the motor running and the battery died. So, it was either cut out all of the work or finish it with a mold. Sooo...
I purchased some polyester primer and shot several thick coats. I love this stuff. It should make this so much easier.
Then some spot cleanup. I used modeling clay to make the corners and fill some edges. I also waxed it and sprayed on several coats of PVA.
Then came the nervous part. I really thought I screwed it up when I layed the fiberglass, but I built it up anyway and popped it off this morning.
Not perfect, but much better than I thought it would be. I'll have to clean it up and build some flanges, but it's better than my first attempt.
This. Is. BRILLIANT ! My idea for flush-mount headlights have always been third and early fourth gen. Camaro-based. This mod doesn't carry the angles of that particular concept, but takes me right to it. When I'm confident enough to tackle my flush-mounts, I will surely refer to this for inspiration.