Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  RCR's body mods... (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
RCR's body mods... by RCR
Started on: 06-15-2009 07:28 PM
Replies: 657 (38239 views)
Last post by: RCR on 11-17-2023 07:56 AM
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2009 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by grkboy707:

very nice! are you gonna spray the fascia with fiber glass too?

The plan at this moment is to take a mold off the nose once complete and make a fiberglass piece. Then re-fashion the bumper to make it all fit back together.

Bob
IP: Logged
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2009 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update:

Here's another shot of the front coming along

I'm going to use drywall compound (mud) to finalize the shape and smooth everything out. Here is my first attampt, starting only with a portion of the driver side.

Closer shot of the side, showing some of the seams.

I thought I would try to make it even harder on myself, so I made a pocket for the light.

Although the mud is easy to work with, it's proved to be a very slow process because it takes a day to dry.

That's it for now. I've got 5 days to work on it (vacation) so hopefully I'll get some progress. Still need to match the driver and passenger sides better and there's a whole lot of mudding and sanding to do.

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2009 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002
I'm a little remiss in not giving a big thumbs up to Rob for his advise. It's already paying off...Thanx Rob...

Bob
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2009 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looking really good.
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2009 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's looking, and sounding good! Good to stop by and see it, and you, in person again. If you need a hand turning it around, give me a yell.
Bobby Carter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2009 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bobby CarterClick Here to visit Bobby Carter's HomePageSend a Private Message to Bobby CarterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great thread! Eventually i want to do alot of body mods to my new fiero... but have no clue how to even start i like how detailed all your pics are to help some of us "noobs" get a solid idea of the process thanks!!!!
Orville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2009 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OrvilleSend a Private Message to OrvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RCR, Are you using setting drywall compound? It's much faster.
Nice work, by the way.

Orville
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2009 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Although the mud is easy to work with, it's proved to be a very slow process because it takes a day to dry.

Bob

Much too slow; I"m glad I used bondo on the Fi355 nose. I must have re-applied bondo dozens of times to fill low spots. If I had to wait a day for each application I probably would still be working on it.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2009 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

Much too slow; I"m glad I used bondo on the Fi355 nose. I must have re-applied bondo dozens of times to fill low spots. If I had to wait a day for each application I probably would still be working on it.

You are absolutely right. After putting the 500W lights in front to help expedite the drying, and it still didn't help in this 100% humidity, I've switched to good ol' Bondo brand filler. Now, back to sanding.

Bob

Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2009 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work. Will follow this thread for sure.

------------------
Regards SHARKMAN
Europe # 1 choptop
http://www.fieroforum.se/fo...=1342&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
http://www.fieroforum.se/fo...topic.php?f=10&t=173

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2009 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You are absolutely right. After putting the 500W lights in front to help expedite the drying, and it still didn't help in this 100% humidity, I've switched to good ol' Bondo brand filler. Now, back to sanding.

Bob

I never took a pic of it but I must have made 2 dozen profile templates to check symmetry between sides, and I used 3 different sized profile gauges. One thing for sure though...sanding sucks!

PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2009 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, this is kickass! I'm particularly interested in how the headlights turn out.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2009 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanx for the praise, guys. Hopefully it all works out. The use of Bondo has sped things up a bit (and 3 days of vacation to boot )

Rob, The profile gauges are working pretty good. I made a bunch of new ones today. I discovered in the process that the centerline I created when I started was off by 1/4" so I've had to move things, but it does explain why lines weren't lining up a week ago.

Nuf blah, blah...Here are some pics.

Threw a guide coat on the plaster to see where I was.This determined my switch to plastic.

First layer of Bondo:

Added the ribbed molding to the front

Most of the profile gauges I made

Started matching the passenger side to the drivers side. The lines show areas in which the profiles match

Adding filler to the other side

And the side panel

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2009 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002
Forgot to add, "The Work Table"

Bob
el_roy1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2009 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for el_roy1985Send a Private Message to el_roy1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice work so far. This is something I really want to try out someday.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2009 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe we should have a nose-off challenge to see who can finish their new nose first.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2009 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

Maybe we should have a nose-off challenge to see who can finish their new nose first.

I don't think I need more incentive, but OK, what's the prize? j/k...

Are you working on the 512 nose now? Updates?
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2009 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't think I need more incentive, but OK, what's the prize? j/k...

Are you working on the 512 nose now? Updates?

I'm doing the Fi512 next. For a trophy & a good bottle of wine/whiskey ?

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2009 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No update on the new front...I've been practicing on a snowmobile hood for my Dad.

Now I should be able to get back on it.

Bob
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2009 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New idea for a front intake scoop?
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2009 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I couldn't figure out how to make that work, otherwise I would have made a mold.
Bob
PFF
System Bot
aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2009 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Progress pics?
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2009 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aeffertz:

Progress pics?

Nothing to speak of...Sanding is boring. But, I have a weeklong vacation coming up so hopefully after some honey do projects...

BOb
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2009 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread really needs to be in the Construction Zone.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2009 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Letting filler harden before attacking it with more sandpaper and a vacuum...

Originally posted by Blacktree:

This thread really needs to be in the Construction Zone.

I'd like to be further along, but I'm up for that...

Now a question...Should I integrate the headlight bucket in with the mold for the front? Or at least make the bucks at the same time? I'm not sure I'm happy with the first shot, so...

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 08-31-2009).]

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2009 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's up to you. I'm contemplating something similar (using Hella 90mm units), and was thinking of integrating the buckets into the front fascia. My reasoning is the less body seams there are, the smaller the headache.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2009 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 04-08-2015).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2009 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ADD is kicking in and i'm wondering how to make the front suspension mods work.

I've been tinkering with the headlights, too, trying to integrate the "foam" method for making the buck. I've got a few pics but I'm still in the "planning" phase.

Got this idea about a sunroof, too...

Bob
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2009 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent! Glad to see that your still progressing on your car. What are your plans for the sunroof?

Nolan
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2009 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by proff:

the only way this would be allowed here would be with thousands of dollars in engineering reports.
After crash testing a proto type .

Oh you gotta be effin joking. You really do believe the BS that you spout dont you?

Nice work RCR. Ignore comments like that. Australia is not like its biggest resident hater would like people to believe. Makes me ashamed to be an Aussie everytime I read his BS.

Just out of interest what are you using to stick the layers of foam plug together? Have ways we have been doing it for years but always intersted to see what others have come up with.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2009 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update:
Started reshaping the light fittings and the bottom vents so that they are round, not psuedo eyeballed. Used a cake frosting container as a mold.

Used a slightly smaller container for the vents.

And lots more sanding.

It bothered me the way the headlights had worked out previously, so I thought I'd give it another try.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Bob
PFF
System Bot
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2009 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Bob

Well, since you asked...
It just looks like to me that the nose with the integral headlight buckets wil be a problem to install.
The front most fender bolts are obscured by the headlight buckets.
If I might suggest:

Making the headlight buckets separate from the nose, maybe along the black line, and making an overlap joint for them to mate to the nose, (like shown in section A-A)
Use the forward vertical edge of the fender as the location for the horizontal joint line. That carries the natural body line over to the assembly you're making.

Just my $0.02 worth..

My only other suggestion would be to hurry up and finish this amazing piece of work, make some molds, then parts, and allow me to be your first customer!
I like what I see here...A LOT!

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 09-19-2009).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Randye: Thanks for taking the time to draw that up...To be honest, I did go over that scenario a dozen times. The issue I preceive is the seam. I didn't want the seam under the lens, and sealing the lens is that more difficult if the bezel is multiple pieces. I have the same problem If I try sealing the lens to the fascia at the front lip.

Food for thought though...

As for mounting, I was thinking of adding a point that goes through the fender, up above the bezel.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 09-20-2009).]

grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this is looking incredible! im so jealous!
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by grkboy707:

this is looking incredible! im so jealous!

Heck, don't be. It's just foam, bondo, and tons of work and time.

Bob
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 04-08-2015).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2009 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
little update...Been filling and sanding the new headlight pod. Lot's more to do.

I think I've figured a way to do either a one piece nose that integrates the pods, or seperate it right at the seam. This picture shows the bottom seam after sanding. The seam is about 1/4" above the body line. I plan on routering the edge down to the body line. This will give me a lip to mount the lens that goes right to the edge of the body line. The depth will be about 3/16 or the thickness of the Lexan. If I want to seperate the pieces, it will be done right at the body line. At least that's how it will work in my head.

Bob
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2009 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not just make the light buckets separate, sealed units?
aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2009 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
neonraffi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2009 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for neonraffiSend a Private Message to neonraffiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any new updates on this build?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock