Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  RCR's body mods... (Page 15)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
RCR's body mods... by RCR
Started on: 06-15-2009 07:28 PM
Replies: 657 (38258 views)
Last post by: RCR on 11-17-2023 07:56 AM
shemdogg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2020 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looking good man,glad to see u back at it!

shem
IP: Logged
dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2020 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bob looks like your ready for some high build primer , now the tedious block sanding begins.😓🥵 with all your summer heat!!

Stay safe
Wayne
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2020 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanx Shem...

Originally posted by dobie1:

Bob looks like your ready for some high build primer , now the tedious block sanding begins.😓🥵 with all your summer heat!!

Stay safe
Wayne

Thanx Wayne. But in reality, it's only half the car. Still need to finish the glass on the driver's side and rear. Need to finish what I am doing so I can turn the car around to get access to the rest.

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2020 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update?
Worked my butt off in this sweltering humidity, yet there is very little to show. Spent a total of about 4 hours grinding the old red paint off the rear deck and the c-pillars. Lots of sanding.

Bob
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2020 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Update?
Worked my butt off in this sweltering humidity, yet there is very little to show. Spent a total of about 4 hours grinding the old red paint off the rear deck and the c-pillars. Lots of sanding.

Bob

Keep the hands moving, Bob... I'm just gonna slide your car out of the way and my car in. With all the dust flying, I'm sure you won't notice a few more hours of sanding...
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

Keep the hands moving, Bob... I'm just gonna slide your car out of the way and my car in. With all the dust flying, I'm sure you won't notice a few more hours of sanding...

Oh sure, why not. It'd be nice to see something with a different shape sitting there.

No updates or are you in the same boat as me, the nothing interesting to show boat?

Bob
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow you are making progress/ Looks good.
Steve
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2020 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Oh sure, why not. It'd be nice to see something with a different shape sitting there.

No updates or are you in the same boat as me, the nothing interesting to show boat?

Bob

I ended up taking a month or so off the build. But I just started to get back to it a few days ago. Hopefully I'll have something worth showing this week. Your work always gets me inspired!
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been working on the c-pillars. It was so much more work than I was anticipating, but it's ready for the next step. I still need to extend the ends to close the gap with the decklid, but it's time to move on...

Before:

During:

Now:

Moving back to the front hood.

Hot as hell, btw...

Bob
dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great Bob!!
The gaps on the rear deck look great , did you look at doing a rear hinge like mine?

Keep at it lots of fans to move that air.

Wayne😥😥
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks great Bob!!
The gaps on the rear deck look great , did you look at doing a rear hinge like mine?

Keep at it lots of fans to move that air.

Wayne😥😥

Hey Wayne,

Something like this?/

Bob

I forgot to mention this above, but short of the Stinger version, I think I have the only functional rear window of the Mera/308 clones. It made all of the work worthwhile.

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 07-12-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well done Bob😊

Lots steel !

Wayne
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2020 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's frik'n hot!!

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2020 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As mentioned, it was a little warm this weekend. Still managed about 10 hours of work. Doesn't actually look like much, though...

Worked on the rear decklid, namely, alignment and finish on the bottom.

I thought this was an interesting pic. Not going to move the decklid up, though.

I started fiberglassing in the framework. I have all of the outer frame glassed and the top inner portion.All two layers of 1.5oz glass.
I also glassed up the area for the brake light and cleaned up the area and glassed in the bottom sectioned that had previously been removed.

This is the top edge being glassed in.

I thought the slats showing through looked kind of interesting. Might make a more modern look than the stock louvres.

Here I'm prepping the rear most area to glass to the spoiler edge, and glassing in the edge of the frame.

After pic.

Here's a shot of the area around the light being repaired.

Still need to finish the inner areas, but I need to make some decisions on the vents, so in the mean time, I bolted it all back together.
The heat was exhausting, so I'm done for now.

Til next time, stay safe.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 07-19-2020).]

355Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2020 03:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Updates are looking good Bob. That fiberglassing is brutal in the heat isn't it? Sets off too soon even reducing the MEKP and sweating so itching like a son of a gun. I like the rear opening engine lid as well. Car looks good all one colour as you can see the lines better.

Keep at it a bit at a time and it will come to the end soon enough.....

Take care and stay safe
Cheers
Don
dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2020 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coming along nicely Bob!! The wider slates may work for your updated vision.

No where near the heat you get there , but it is a sweat box in my shop as well I may lose a couple pounds!!!

Stay safe Wayne

[This message has been edited by dobie1 (edited 07-21-2020).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2020 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanx Don... Thanx wayne.

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2020 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another hot, miserable weekend, and another pile of work that doesn't look like much. Lots of pics, though.

This time around, I moved on to the front hood. A lot of work to do on the bottom side. One of the main things is to finish to edges between the hood and the bottom. This was particularly bad at the rear edge, where I formed the little winglets. Then, I moved to the front edge that I created for the headlight pockets. Never quite liked what I did, so I totally reworked it.

How about the pics...
Here's the rear edge, smoothed out and primed.

Front edge parts that needed reworking

How it looked when I started

Here, I'm filling a gap between the hood bottom and top fiberglass. I'm using a concoction of SMC panel adhesive with some fine ground glass mixed in. It has the consistency of toothpaste, and fills the gaps well.

After doing that, I realized I didn't like the way I built the foam up, so I cut it out and reformed it.

Once reformed, glass was placed over the whole thing. I concentrated more over the foam, to build it up a bit.

The other side

Now, onto smoothing it out. A couple treatments of bondo-glass and a bit of primer to see what 's left to be done.

Hood back on. Resting for next time.

Stay cool my friends. Take care.

Bob
ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2020 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car looks awesome. Keep the pics coming!!
Al
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2020 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ace5514:

The car looks awesome. Keep the pics coming!!
Al

Appreciate the visit and comments, Al.

Bob
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good Bob!

This heat makes it difficult to do much of anything glass related, but you are killin' it! Just make sure it doesn't bite back.... (wear your PPE )

Keep pluggin' away at it...one o' dese days....you'll be driving, washing and waxing that beauty...in the meantime, keep the updates (and pics) comin'.

HAGO!

PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sage:

Looking good Bob!

This heat makes it difficult to do much of anything glass related, but you are killin' it! Just make sure it doesn't bite back.... (wear your PPE )

Keep pluggin' away at it...one o' dese days....you'll be driving, washing and waxing that beauty...in the meantime, keep the updates (and pics) comin'.

HAGO!

Always happy to see you stop by, Ted. Thanx for the kind words.

Bob

PS, still awaiting your build.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2020 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the car out today. Even filled it up. Starting to prep for work on the other side.

Video

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 08-09-2020).]

Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2020 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Video is not working
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2020 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should post some of your old work I am looking forward to see how this one comes out.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2020 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mark A. Klein:

Video is not working

Pushed it up to Youtube... Should work now.

Also adding some pics...

Replace the dry rotted tire. Didn't want to tear the fender up again. $95 good to go.

Almost on the ground.

And out in the driveway.

Took it to the gas station on the corner and filled it up (apparently gas gauge does not work).
Back at rest, ready to work on driver's side.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 08-09-2020).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2020 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002
And today brings the start of finishing the driver's side body work.

First up, the rocker panel. It needs to be fitted to the frame, and the vent needs to be redone so that it matches the other side.

Here's the mess on the rocker. Need to redo the flange to frame and finish the hole in the bottom.

Here all the excess is cut off and ground down, ready to glass.

All glassed up.

Next thing I want to tackle is cleaning up the fender repairs. To do this, I need the gas door, so I can make sure the contour is correct.
So, to get the gas door, I need to install all of the innards for the filler tube.
I'm using all of the Fiero pieces. I pulled them off the clip before I scrapped it.
What I didn't take into account is that the body kit is wider than the Fiero, so nothing lines up.
Looks like I'm going to have to butcher my pretty red powder coated fuel lines to make it work.

I'll have to investigate how others have done it.

Thanx for dropping in.

Bob
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2020 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bob;

I will take some pics of my setup but I took the Fiero gas filler and cut it about 6" down from the filler cap and then used some fuel rated hose to connect both the fuel filler tube back together at the right length and the air tube. My setup is up in the side louvers though so somewhat different than what you are doing but the same concept. Fuel rated hose for both tubes and you are good to go.

Will take some pics when I get back to my garage early next week.
Cheers
Don
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2020 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanx Don,

I was going to ask you, but I remembered you went up to the vent. Thanx for the help...

Where did you get the hose from? I don't think the local shops carry it.

Bob
dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2020 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bob I posted over on my build re the filler install.
If you want any of it let me know it’s yours.
Wayne
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2020 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bob I posted over on my build re the filler install.
If you want any of it let me know it’s yours.
Wayne

Appreciate the offer, Wayne. I have all the parts, just a matter of modifying them.

Now to the issue. Nelson was kind enough to measure the distance between the trailing edge of the door and the leading edge of the gas door on his MERA: 14".

Mine: 15"

For whatever reason, my gas door is 1" further back, which would make the stock fuel lines too short.

My first impression is that I'm going to leave it where it's at and modify the fuel lines.

Now, out of curiosity, I'm wondering if you guys (Wayne and Don) would mind taking a quick measurement.

I don't know the history or make of my body, but based upon the backup lights, I believe it to be a MERA clone. So, I'd think it would be the same.

Thanx for all of the help. guys.

Bob
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2020 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As mentioned, I needed the gas door to ensure the body contours were correct. That was screwed up by the gas lines not fitting properly, and the previous repairs had left the glass thickness uneven (it would show through the door.). So, new plan. Fix the body work and body contours with new gas door, ie, glass it all over and start again.

The first pics are the cleanup. Grinding all the glass back.

I backed the hole with some aluminum flashing, covered in tape.

Since I could not rely on tape holding it on and I didn't want to make a bunch of screw holes:

I packed old towels behind the plate to hold it in place.

A lot of glass later...The blue coloring is from the sharpie I used to trace the glass circles.

A little color...

Now I need to figure out how to cut a perfect 5" circle to form the new door.

take care everyone.

Bob
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2020 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would take a piece of semi rigid foam and cut a hole with a hole saw that has a 5”I.D. (Rigid and Milwaukee both make them) and drill a hole through it. Then use that as a jig (positioning guide) for the hole saw with the center pilot bit removed, positioned on the fender. I had to do something similar when I did the wide body on one of my old race cars. Oh BTW. Hi all! I still lurk your build thread Bob👍🏼

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 08-16-2020).]

355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2020 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bob;

That is certainly one way to solve the issue......

You are correct that I went up into the sail panel vent with my fuel filler. The hoses I got online from Fuelines.com or something like that. I will have a look through the bills and old emails to see where I ordered from. Not cheap if I remember. I needed 90* bends though for both the fuel filler line and the vent hose so mine was a bit more targeted and needed the custom hoses. You "should" be able to get straight fuel hose from your local parts stores? You should not need any angles in yours so just an extension piece that should be straight.

I actually think my original pieces inside my fender well as still there as I did not use them so wil go have a look and take a couple pics.

More soon
Don
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2020 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Don, Hi Will,...

Hey Don, thanks for the feedback. I'll take a look online if I can't get it local. No need to look up your old bills. Any pics of the old setup would be helpful, though.

Hey Will, Good to hear from you. It's been too long. Thanx for lurking and the idea. Kind of what I was thinking.

Thanx guys and take care,

Bob
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2020 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bob;

This is the online store I got my fuel line from. Like I said, I needed 90* bends so went with these guys.

Cheers
Don

https://www.fillernecksupply.com/
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2020 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 355Fiero:

Bob;

This is the online store I got my fuel line from. Like I said, I needed 90* bends so went with these guys.

Cheers
Don

https://www.fillernecksupply.com/

Thanx Don. Site looks like they've got a lot of interesting stuff. Prices don't look bad, either.

Now I just need to measure the pipes.

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2020 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh, where to begin.,,,

Worked on the gas door. Alot!!.. Looks pretty good now. Might change it up a bit. Seems a little wobbly.

I used all of the Fiero parts. Here's some pics...

Back of the fender

Grind everything down to a consistent thickness

Don't have a better name, so I'll call it the inner fuel box. Here it has been reshaped to fit the fender and now it's glued in.

Screwed up proportions, but here is the outer box fitted.

This shows the cutout door mounted to the Fiero door. (Opps, maybe thats, just the cut out)

Here's the door.

Lots of sanding, filling, and sanding later...

to be continued...

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 08-30-2020).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2020 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002
Wanted to do something different, so I went after the mirror. I created a "very complicated" mount on the other side. Time to reproduce it.

Holes marked out and drilled.

Using clay and cardboard to figure out the bracket.

Here's a picture of the door cleaned and primed. After I cut off the bracket and cleaned the clay.
After 2 and half hours, I finally figured that the door skin itself is strong enough to hold the mirror, and way easier to reach the nuts.

Noticing how easy it is to access the rocker without the door skin, I moved on to the vent.
Here I'm building the frame for the trans cooler that's going in the vent.

Old vent lopped off.

And the closing shot, showing the cooler sitting in place. Next will be welding it up to the car. Then the glassing begins again.

That's it for now. Thanx for visiting.

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2020 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002
And, since I had some frustration time and the wheel was off anyway, I threw some math at it and I think I calculated the offest for these wheels.

They are 17 x 7, with a 49mm offset. Explains why they are so close to my brakes. The new wheels are 35 fnt / 25 rr.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 08-30-2020).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock