Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Calif Kid............................ (Page 7)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Calif Kid............................ by rogergarrison
Started on: 01-25-2003 11:04 PM
Replies: 542 (47696 views)
Last post by: MinnGreenGT on 04-27-2017 08:58 AM
California Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2005 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hurst Shifter installed 7-26-05

edit update; Rodneys deeper drilled ball installed, lowers knob approx. 5/8 inch.

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 01-28-2007).]

IP: Logged
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2005 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kameo Kid:

KK, you have a PM.

smoothwhitese

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2005 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smoothwhiteseSend a Private Message to smoothwhiteseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump for ya nice car man
Kameo Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2005 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kameo KidSend a Private Message to Kameo KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Tom, Did you get your new axels installed?? Got any plans for nextweek?

------------------

still plays with cars..

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2005 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Custom made Halfshafts, new twin clutch disks, new floater plate, new custom flywheel insert, new oil pump (as engine has 38K on it, just for the heck of it), and new fuel pressure gage all installed. Have put on 500 easy miles to let new part break-in, and another 300 miles having one heck of alot of fun!!! This car never stop amazing me, the engine is still very tight considering the miles, 50 PSI oil pressure at fully warmed up idle running Mobil 1 10W50. First time I've had the fuel pressure gage on it, and pressures look like they are where there supposed to be for the power (it's not that I needed the gage, but it's another piece of information).

No plans I know of at this time for next week, so if you're planning a trip up, give me a call.

CrazyDave here on PFF also purchased a set of these custom made halfshafts, so there will be two of use testing these parts out in the 400 ft lb torque range. Dave runs a hard gripping SPEC 3 clutch, so we're both loading these parts up pretty darn good.

Tom

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 09-22-2005).]

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2005 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump to keep it out of the closet achieves.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2005 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just adding contact information for Ultrasonic Hardening/Stress Relieve Company:

I am posting contact information for a shop that has Hi-Tech Ultrasonic Equipment that hardens and stress relieves metallic parts. This process does not dimensionally change your parts at all, just have your parts treated and re-assemble.

While this applies to all metal parts, here are estimates for a manual transmission:

Transmission Internals (gears/shafts) $75.00 plus shipping.
Trans Case and Internals (all parts but dis-assembled) $100.00 plus shipping.
Trans Case Only $50.00 plus shipping.

Benson's Performance Machine Inc.
2909 So. Kilson
Santa Ana, CA. 92707
Phone: 714-241-1284 ask for Dan.

Also, here's the Cryo Company that did "Tina's" trans, both processes produce very similar results:
http://www.300below.com/

------------------

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 11-14-2005).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2005 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

Transmission Internals (gears/shafts) $75.00 plus shipping.
Trans Case and Internals (all parts but dis-assembled) $100.00 plus shipping.
Trans Case Only $50.00 plus shipping.

That's it?!

I would have expected quite a bit higher (from a purely uneducated standpoint, obviously.)

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe...........

Praise the Lowered!
Read Nealz Nuze!

crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2005 03:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting that. Its worth buying a used fwd getrag to send the gears and case off to get hardened. I'm not worried about my stock N* but I want to run nitrous in the future.

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2005 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some new information on the 300 Below Company linked above. Results are very similar to the Ultra Sonic Process, the Cryo method takes the parts down to minus 300 for a couple days, slowly bring them back up to room temp, then stress relieve the parts in a 300 F Oven. The Cost for the process is $3.50 per lb. treated, or a $75.00 minimum charge. It takes about a week for them to process the parts, provided you catch them on the right cycle day. This process is also the same as Ultra Sonic as it effectively treats Steel, Cast Iron, and Alum. The Contact I went through at their office was Rob Jenkins. They do quite a variety of parts down there, motorcycle, gun barrels, golf clubs, you name it !!!!

5 spd Getrag internals ie., gear sets on shafts, differential, and a few other high load parts weigh in at 55 lbs.

I shagged me a spare low miles Getrag 5spd a while back..........just in case...........! Having the case powder coated fire engine red, internals in the hands of UPS as of today. It will be fully rebuilt, including Phantom Grip w/heavier spring set.

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 11-15-2005).]

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2006 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you thought about painting or powdercoating your valve covers to match the upper intake?

Curious how the 1.17G claim was measured, did you get it taken out on the GM skid pad?

PFF
System Bot
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2006 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't really thought of powder coating the valve covers, might just play with that in photoshop.

Car was tested at GM's Milford Proving Grounds, posted a response in the Lateral G's thread in General Topic.

Posting a few pics of my other GT (87) that was just painted Red Fire Metallic. Car is being lowered next week, along with new alum rims/rubber, new interior planned for this spring.

It's pretty tough getting a good picture of this color as it does have a lot of metallic in it.

rodmcneill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2006 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodmcneillSend a Private Message to rodmcneillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like that color, does it have gold or orange in it?
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2006 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know what the exact pigment content is that makes up this red, but it's a straight Ford Factory mix, no modifications to it. The metallic tends to send off a combination of colors, I even asked the painter if it contained any gold flake, and he said no, just silver.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2006 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before....Stock Suspension:

After.....Intrax Performance lowering Springs (1 coil removed from fronts), Urethane Bushings, Wheels/Tires:

Feels alot better !!!

FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2006 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im loving it.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2006 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments guys!!!

Adding the Monster 5 spd Getrag post information to this thread that I posted back on 3-3-06.

Just got my spare Getrag back from the shop today, thought I'd post some pics. It's Fully Rebuilt, Cryo'd, Limited Slip (Phantom), with Powder Coated Case.

All rebuilding was performed by:

Evola Services
250 N. Rose
Mt. Clemens, MI 48083
Contact; Keith Evola 586-463-8380

Cryo Treatment was performed by:

300 BELOW, Inc
2999 E. Parkway Dr
Decatur, IL 62526
Contact; Rob Jenkins 217-423-3070

EDIT to correct cost; Shop bill for total tear down, Getrag Rebuild Parts, Powder Coating, and Re-Assembly was $1,360
Cryo Treatment of parts was approx $190 plus shipping.
Phantom Grip and heavy spring set was approx $330
Total Bill $1,880

This is the "spare" transmission I had lying around in my garage, it had a reported 75,000 miles on it, so I went the full route on it. Nothing wrong with the trans in my car that has similar treatments, except powder coat. The only difference between the two transmissions is one has Cryo, and the other one has Ultrasonic hardened/stress relieved internals (which yield very similar strenght improvements).

I've got about another year left on my clutch, then I'll put this beauty in, and other goes into reserve holding spot in garage. Always nice to have a spare "In Case............"

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2006 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still going to make it to Algonac this year and which car will you take?
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2006 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Plans are uncertain for the year, other than it's going to be an extremely busy one for me. Launching the 2007 Cadillac SRX Program at this time, have the first two vehicles (non saleable) being built in Lansing middle of next month, and my Instrument Panel Assemblies are built just outside of Lansing (Holt, MI). The number of vehicles built just excalates every two weeks after, until about the end of August, when Start Of Production saleable vehicles is scheduled. This means very long hours for me, numerous trips to both mid Michigan locations, and you know what rush hour can be like coming from either of those locations to my area.

My intention this year is to use some of my other toys (pictured below), that haven't gotten much use over the last 4 - 6 years. I put a lot of money into them this past winter, bringing them out of hibernation, so the yellow GT won't get as much use this year. Still toying with the idea of putting the Hilborn EFI on the yellow car, might just happen this summer.

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2006 05:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
MclarenF1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2006 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MclarenF1Click Here to visit MclarenF1's HomePageSend a Private Message to MclarenF1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey California Kid, how functional is that whale tail?
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2006 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not cheap (see post above), but I got tired of being standed with a broken half shaft every couple of years.

Shop that can produce these for your engine and trans setup is:

You get Kudos from me for posting for others how to get the parts they need.

Too often people seem to go to all the trouble to have a custom part made and then can't or won't post the information for others to get the same part.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2006 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gokart Mozart, Thanks for the bump. I'm taking next week off to do a "Spring Dustoff" on the Kid, adding some parts, detailing, etc. Also plannng on working on my '87, fitting the new red tint quarter windows, adding parts, detailing. Allante' is planned of same treatment, if I find the time. GM Employee Tech Center Show is June 21st, planning on taking the "Kid" into that one. The River Front Classic in July is still in the sights, will see how things go. Aside from that I've just been working my butt off on the Cadillac Program.

MclarenF1, The Whaletail is very noticeably effective at speeds over 100 mph, compaired to the stock spoiler. You get a lot less "Backwash" air coming up and over the rearend, which messes of the airflow over the car. At higher than 120 mph you notice the rear end doesn't loosen up as much as it did with the stock spoiler. I have been planning to add an aluminum "Wicker" strip aprox. 2 inches tall, with quick release pins across the upper vertical rear wall of the tail. Doing this as more of a "Dress Up" than actually needing any improvement, it would be more similar to the aluminium whaletail used on competition race Fiero's .

jscott1, Thanks for adding your comments, appreciated !

Tom
furious_fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 232
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2006 04:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for furious_fieroSend a Private Message to furious_fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Our of all my favorite Fieros...Cali Kids is still #1!
------------------
Furious Ninja & Furious Fiero

[This message has been edited by furious_fiero (edited 05-28-2006).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2006 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump to keep out of the achieves. Thanks for the compliments posted !

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2006 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
your yellow fiero is my favourite modified fiero.i am doing an ecotec swap into my 86 gt.since you are a gm engineer and i havent yet got my hands on an 2004 cavalier owners manual ,can you tell me what fuel pressure i need to run?thanks a lot .
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2006 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Somebody has offered a $1000 reward towards seeing an independantly verifiable 330hp dyno run. I'll give you 3 guesses who.

(I wish somebody would do that for my car )

[This message has been edited by ryan.hess (edited 07-16-2006).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2006 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

your yellow fiero is my favourite modified fiero.i am doing an ecotec swap into my 86 gt.since you are a gm engineer and i havent yet got my hands on an 2004 cavalier owners manual ,can you tell me what fuel pressure i need to run?thanks a lot .

Thanks!

55psi at idle, however you should be able to run up to 59psi before rich idle is encountered.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2006 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

California Kid

9541 posts
Member since Jul 2001

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

Somebody has offered a $1000 reward towards seeing an independantly verifiable 330hp dyno run. I'll give you 3 guesses who.

(I wish somebody would do that for my car )

Wouldn't be too hard to figure out how that is! Could you just imagine all the excuses he'd come up with "not to pay up" !
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2006 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What if you both agreed to sign an air tight legal contract?

$1000 will buy you some nice go fast parts....
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2006 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everyone who actually believes Shaun-boy would pay up please stand on your head.
He might as well be offering a million bucks because you know damn well he wouldn't pay up.

I personally wouldn't even consider his offer genuine unless he ponied up the cash to someone I could trust to hold. But then, I wouldn't trust anyone Shaun would trust.
PFF
System Bot
Unsafe At Any Speed

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 315
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2006 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Unsafe At Any SpeedSend a Private Message to Unsafe At Any SpeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What do you have to lose if you know you're car makes that kind of power?

Step up and quit making excuses of your own.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Updating my thread with a couple pictures. Has been a pretty busy summer for me (work wise), didn't get to hardly any car shows, or even cruise nights. I did make it to the Pontiac Nationals in Norwalk, OH first week of Aug. I "Crewed" for this 1968 Vintage Pontiac Dragster for the 3 days down there. It produces 1,600 hp on alcohol, runs 7.20 @ 190 mph.

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

California Kid

9541 posts
Member since Jul 2001
While down in Ohio crewing on the Dragster above, I hit a big dog one night going from track back to Hotel. Front fascia had to be redone, along with driver fender, just came out of the shop a couple days ago, and decided to put the new wheels and tires on.

ASA AR1's Black 17 x 8, 35mm offset with 215x45 and 245x40 BFG G-Force KDW2

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry about the collision. I'll bet the dog was too.

Those wheels look great!
They're a 100% improvement over the old ones.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-13-2006).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You stole my idea!! Those are the wheels I plan on getting for my Formula!!
They look great!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2006 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Very nice wheels Cali !

Do you plan to redue the red fender striping and your familair fiero fender logo ?
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2006 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

They're a 100% improvement over the old ones.

DITTO
Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2006 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

DITTO

+1

------------------

1 of 2: Graphite Grey Pearl 87 GT 5 spd: 2.8L (Best 1/4 mile: 15.57@87mph, 2.0 60ft)
2 of 2: Ferrari Red 88 Formula/4T65EHD: 97 GTP Motor (Best 1/4 mile: 12.75@106mph, 1.77 60ft)

My CarDomain Site
My Friend Garrod's CarDomain Site

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2006 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks!

Just put a few miles on the car, tires feel great, little to no tire noise with the agressive tread pattern. I do have just a touch of fender/liner contact on hard bumps with the 215x45's due to lowered car. I'll either put in a 1/4 in spacer, or change the springs out for new lower springs (1 inch). It's really not that bad on my car, as previous same size tire worn a groove in the inside fender lip and liner anyway. On a lowered car, 205's would probably be a better choice with 7 inch wide rims. The 45 Series BFG G Force KDW2's did reduce my steering effort, which was surprising. Ride only slightly firmer than the 50's Series I was running, but the 45 Series frt/40 series rr does feel better from a driver feedback standpoint, and is not harsh.

I plan on putting the fender badge back on repaired fender, red hash strips, and nose decal. Will more than likely put the carbon fiber tape back on the lower nose like pictures above as well (waiting for a week to be sure paint is fully cured). Nice thing about tape, is that you can remove it if it doesn't appeal to you anymore. edit, pics added.

Update on the front tire clearance issue: Put about 200 miles on the tires, pulled fronts to check rub zone. Not action required, as contact zone is less than 1/4 in. wide by inch and a half long (fore/aft) to the 12 o'clock position on the fender liner (outside radius of tire rubs slightly on full spring compression - hard bumps). No contact with the fender at all.

edit; had frt tires size stated incorrectly.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock