Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Harry Potter must go. (Page 9)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 24 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24 
Previous Page | Next Page
Harry Potter must go. by Joe Torma
Started on: 11-18-2001 01:58 PM
Replies: 931
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 02-04-2002 08:13 PM
DaRkLoRD

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
Weren't Nefilim (I've seen several ways of spelling that) supposed to be giants? The general concept of the aliens that are supposedly doing the abductions, are about 4 feet tall, with grey skin, big heads, big black eyes, etc..

and btw, the alien "masters" are supposed to be reptilian.. I've heard the term "draconian" used to describe something that's evil and sinister.. where did that word come from?

------------------
steve@fieroproject.com
http://www.fieroproject.com

IP: Logged
JSocha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JSochaSend a Private Message to JSochaDirect Link to This Post
SEE?! Told you all that I seen page 9 coming!
Ken Wittlief

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 142
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken WittliefSend a Private Message to Ken WittliefDirect Link to This Post
Giants is a poor translation of the word used in the original language - leader or super-human would be more accurate - and its referring to the half breed race not to the 'sons of god' or fallen angels.

It also appears they had no problem creating offspring with humans back them, but they do seem to be having difficulty now - so something is different or has changed - perhaps that group of fallen angels is now being restrained and kept away from humanity, but will be released at some point in the near future.

Mach10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post
Triad: Good to hear it

Ken: Point(s) taken. However, the problem still stands. WHICH parts of the bible are corrupted/mistranslated/misinterpreted? No-one can answer with certainty. The bible in it's present form is VERY consistant. That's good.... Unless the errors are consistant too... What if the aramaic word for "Witchcraft" was in fact a mistranslated word for "Cockroach?" (Thank you Terry Pratchett ) That would change a LOT of things....

What if the whole Sodomy schpeil wasn't in fact refering to the act of anal sex, but rather in the wasting of seed? That would mean that Gay people aren't any worse than anyone that has ever used birthcontrol...

The PROBLEM with the bible, is that it must be interpreted. Obviously some people are better at it than others. Middle-Age Catholicism is a good guide as to HOW NOT TO DO IT. Then again, there are plenty of people that follow their bible to a T, lead productive and nice lives... Hey! Religion worked for them! On the other hand, you get the kind of sadistic crack-head freak Klowns who run around, burn crosses, and kill people in Jesus' name... Religion failed, here...

See you guys at work

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
I just finished reading this essay on the Nephilim.. VERY interesting!
http://www.ftech.net/~bric/rp.no38.html

I've also heard "fallen" as a mistranslation for "those who descended".. once again, suggestion of aliens, trying to interbreed with humans. but Ken is right, something's different now.. that swings the discussion over to aliens and concpiracies, so I won't go there.. but it is an interest of mine, so I know a bit about the general ideas...

can anyone provide any more references for the layer of water vapor that the bible says used to be in the atmosphere? I've heard of it before, but never really paid much attention to that until now...

------------------
steve@fieroproject.com

Ken Wittlief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken WittliefSend a Private Message to Ken WittliefDirect Link to This Post
as far as determining the original meaning - the languages that are used in the original manuscripts are extreemly well documented - so its not a question of having no idea what the original language means.

as for following the bible alone to a T and being a very good person - try it sometime - it cant be done - without the power and strenght of the living Spirit of God living in you, you cant do it alone - If you could then there would be men without sin, and there would be no need for the Holy Spirit, and there was no reason for Jesus to have been sacrificed on our behalf.

Jesus said you will know my people by the fruit they bear - by the kind of lives they live and the love that flows from them. To me, that says you are not going to see those qualities in abundance in any other group of people. If you think that is presumptious - goto India sometimes and see what their religious beliefs results in.

Ask one of the Muslin women with the bag over their head what their life is like.

JSocha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JSochaSend a Private Message to JSochaDirect Link to This Post
Go to Bible.com Online World

Read how it has been interpreted on the Link "Bible Answers" and compare it to your interpretation and/or your teachings and see how they differ.

Now for another simple example:

To make this easy, bare with me, since obviously there are many different versions of the same bible and many different religious philosophy's.

So for the time being, lets all assume that everyone is reading from the same Bible and that it has exactly 10,000 passages in it.

In addition, lets assume there are 10,000 different religious philosophy's reading and interpreting 10,000 passages out of the same Bible over time.

Here's the twist. 10,000 religious philosophy's to 10,000 bible passages.

Each one of these religious philosophys each independently has interpreted one and only one passage correctly but not the same one as a another religios philosophy as it is and/or was meant, while the remaining 9,999 are incorrectly intrepreted with no two religions interpreting the exact same bible passage. So each religion now has one and only one correct interpretation. So out of 10,000 passages, you now have 10,000 correct and independent interpretations where another religious philosophy has it wrong.

Who's beliefs would be right and who's would be wrong?

Ken Wittlief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken WittliefSend a Private Message to Ken WittliefDirect Link to This Post
the layer of water is right in the beginning of Genesis - something like the water was divided above the land and below the land

and later that it did not rain in those days - but there was a continious mist

then later at the time of the flood it says the heavens were 'opened' and the rain fell for the first time (which means it never rained - thats over 1,000 years with no rain).

I dont know of any web sites off hand that discuss it.

frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
JSocha,

Regarding your multiple conclusions question, if you insist the verses can't be interpreted in isolation, but all must not contradict each other, that eliminates a lot of the possible variability. However, there would still be room for some.

My advice to people would then be to at least focus on the more important issues in life:

What is God like?
How does He expect me to behave? Toward Him. Toward others.
What happens after this body is deceased?

My contention is that the answers to these more important questions is repeated SO often amongst the passages, and the wording so precise, that almost 100 out of 100 UNBIASED people would come to the same conclusion. I'm not saying that all 100 would be willing to accept it as truth, but they would agree on what it says are the answers.

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
here's another website I found.

http://www.mystae.com/restricted/streams/scripts/nephilim.html

also, what's a "Shem"?

------------------
steve@fieroproject.com

BlackStang95

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-29-2001 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackStang95Send a Private Message to BlackStang95Direct Link to This Post
Wow. Is this the most replies ever?
PFF
System Bot
DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
ok, after a bit more reading, it appears that Shem is one of Noah's sons.. is that correct?

how does that relate to this?

"The Nefilim were upon the Earth in those days and thereafter too. Those sons of the gods who cohabited with the daughters of the Adam, and they bore children into them. They were the Mighty Ones of Eternity, the People of the Shem."
- Genesis 6:4

------------------
steve@fieroproject.com

Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
And the best part of all is people who may not have been looking, are now seeking answers. I hope we each find what we need.
DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
I'm not about to turn religious, but I am fascinated by this stuff.. for years I've wanted to learn hebrew so I could read the original version.. someday I'll do that.

------------------
steve@fieroproject.com

baptistheart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for baptistheartSend a Private Message to baptistheartDirect Link to This Post
My bible says this in gen. 6-4

Ge 6:4 ¶ There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

Where did you get that?

Also i've often wondered how noah got all the animals on the ark.
Well i reread the bible a few times and one time it just stuck out at me that the whole earth was vegitarian before the flood and the animals were not afraid of people back then.

also their were dinos in the bible personaly i believe Laviathan was a dino

Look it up!

------------------
Joe

TRiAD

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADDirect Link to This Post

ok, after a bit more reading, it appears that Shem is one of Noah's sons.. is that correct?

how does that relate to this?

"The Nefilim were upon the Earth in those days and thereafter too. Those sons of the gods who cohabited with the daughters of the Adam, and they bore children into them. They were the Mighty Ones of Eternity, the People of the Shem."
- Genesis 6:4

The NIV translation...beginning at 6:1

"When men began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, (2)the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. (3)Then the Lord said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal, his days will be a hundred and twenty years." (4)The Nephalim were on the earth in those days-and also afterward-when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heros of old, men of renown."

Now, man was already mortal, but were loving some 6-800 years, and we're too big a pain for that to continue, so God limited our days. This is the point where God was grieved He's ever made us, and was determined to wipe the earth clean...
"I will wipe mankind, whom I have created, from the face of the earth-men and animals, and creatures that move along the ground, and birds of the air-for I am grieved that I have made them." Gen 6:7.

But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord...

You know the rest.

Not sure how/why some translations call them "Shem"...

Ken Wittlief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken WittliefSend a Private Message to Ken WittliefDirect Link to This Post
If you are poking your nose in there, something interesting to look up that I never noticed before: after Noah and his family and all the animals were on the ark and it started to rain

who closed the door on the ark?

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by baptistheart:

Where did you get that?

http://www.mystae.com/restricted/streams/scripts/nephilim.html

------------------
steve@fieroproject.com

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post

DaRkLoRD

7001 posts
Member since Feb 99

Originally posted by baptistheart:

also their were dinos in the bible personaly i believe Laviathan was a dino

Same could be said for dragons, (many ancient cultures have references to dragons in some form or another, european ones seem to indicate reptilian-type creates, whereas south american and asian dragons tend to be more winged serpents) and also the "loch ness monster", as well as several other similar creatures, of which I can't remember their names..

------------------
steve@fieroproject.com

DRH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TRiAD:

"When men began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, (2)the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. (3)Then the Lord said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal, his days will be a hundred and twenty years." (4)The Nephalim were on the earth in those days-and also afterward-when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heros of old, men of renown."

At first glance, verse 3 seems a little out of place here. What has limiting human life to 120 years have to do with the interbreeding of sons of god/angels/whatever and women? Was it because the sons/angels/whatever were immortal and some or all of their offspring were inheriting this characteristic?

TRiAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADDirect Link to This Post
LEVIATHAN;

Job 3:8 ~ "May those who curse days curse that day, those who are ready to rouse Leviathan."

Job 41:1-10 ~ "Can you pull in the Leviathan with a fishhook or tie down his tongue with a rope?...Can you make a pet of him, like a bird?...The mere sight of him is overpowering, No one is fierce enough to rouse him."
...It goes on to describe him in detail. All of Job 41 is a description of Leviathan. He appears to be a large reptilian creature with large scales or "shields" and rows of teeth. He is described in both flying and swimming situations, and sounds very much like a reptilian or amphibious dragon, even being seacribed as having flames for breath...

Psalms 74:13b-14 ~ (speaking to God) "You broke the heads of the monster in the waters. It was you who crushed the heads of Leviathan and gave him as food to the creatures of the desert."

Isaiah 27:1 ~ "In that day, the Lord will punish with his sword, His fierce, great and powerful sword, Leviathan the gliding serpent, Leviathan the coiling serpent; he will slay the monster of the sea."

Very interesting stuff indeed...

PFF
System Bot
TRiAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ken Wittlief:
If you are poking your nose in there, something interesting to look up that I never noticed before: after Noah and his family and all the animals were on the ark and it started to rain

who closed the door on the ark?

Genesis 7:16b ~ "Then the Lord shut him in."

baptistheart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for baptistheartSend a Private Message to baptistheartDirect Link to This Post
now try behemoth which animal today moves it's tail like a cedar?

might i suggest a brontosaurus?

------------------
Joe

JSocha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JSochaSend a Private Message to JSochaDirect Link to This Post
YEP! Definately a 10 pager being built here.
baptistheart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for baptistheartSend a Private Message to baptistheartDirect Link to This Post
I'm starting to wish this thing would refresh itself, this is by far the most interesting thing i've found in a long time.

------------------
Joe

JSocha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JSochaSend a Private Message to JSochaDirect Link to This Post

Genesis 7:16b ~ "Then the Lord shut him in."

OH MY ME! ROFLMAO! That was a good one!

ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post

So I'm wrong for standing up for the Bible, but Ray's right in supporting some stupid "conspiracy theory" he saw on TV? You people never cease to amaze me. "It MUST be true...he saw it on TNT!"

Mach, I'd never go postal on you, you're not implying that I'm a murderer (and Ray if you do it again, we're going to have SERIOUS problems).

Ray, one thing. You're no more entitled to your opinion than anyone else here...we all know where you stand, you're re-stating the same banter endlessly. I'm going to ask you to shut up unless you have something new. We all know you think Mary wasn't a virgin, that Mary Magdaline was Jesus' wife, and that they have kids somewhere in France (you saw it on TNT, it must be true).

WAS ON TLC not TNT at 9:00pm eastern tuesday and on saterday reruns in afternoon this weekend at 4;00 pm, 3;00 show is about the ark of the jews sounds good tooo.

the LUKE 3:23 is not about mary as she is not even named anywhere in luke 3:XX first part is about john the B, second part begining at 3:23 is joseph's lineage back to adam.BUT NOT A MATCH OF MATTHEW'S list of same.

interesting that YOU THINK I am NOT INTITLED
to a oppinion THAT YOU DONOT LIKE.
UNFORTUNATELY THATS THE WAY MOST CHRISTIANS THINK and the root of the problem with how belivers treat others.

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd

frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
Mary isn't mentioned specifically in Luke 3 because it's Jesus geneology. The verse states it is not Joseph's because he wasn't the biological father. Since it only could have been through Joseph or Mary and it says it's not Joseph, it really isn't necessary to specifically state it is Mary, since it is obvious from the context.
ray b

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
some versions state in luke
3-23-"and jesus himself began to be about 30 years of age being [as was supposed] the son of joseph, which was the son of heli,"
SO HOW DO YOU GET MARY OUT OF THAT LIST?????
she is not named anywhere in luke 3
and grampaw is same matthan for both under your reading but he has two listed fathers
so is matthat's dad eleazar or levi??????
and that make joseph and mary 1st cousins????

------------------

Voytek

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post
That was my point some time waaaay back in this topic. There are almost as many versions of the Bible as there are Christian denominations. All claim to be 'THE one'. Obviously, we all think we have 'THE one'.

My advice to people would then be to at least focus on the more important issues in life:

What is God like?
How does He expect me to behave? Toward Him. Toward others.
What happens after this body is deceased?

Good advice, frontal lobe.

Oh! I hear moo-ing. I think the cows are home!

JSocha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JSochaSend a Private Message to JSochaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Voytek:
Oh! I hear moo-ing. I think the cows are home!

hehehehe...have to love your cows when they finally come home! hehehehe

PFF
System Bot
ray b

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by frontal lobe:
Mary isn't mentioned specifically in Luke 3 because it's Jesus geneology. The verse states it is not Joseph's because he wasn't the biological father. Since it only could have been through Joseph or Mary and it says it's not Joseph, it really isn't necessary to specifically state it is Mary, since it is obvious from the context.

SO AS YOU READ IT MARY IS THE SON OF HELI????
THAT WHAT THE BOOKS SAID SON OF OR, JOSEPH FATHER IS HELI IN "LIVING BIBLE" version.

------------------

Mach10

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post
wTF??? Where'd my "Dino" Post go!??!

Huh...

Fine, I'll summarize:

1) Dinos + humans could NOT co-habitate in the same eco-system... Megafauna needs MEGA food from Mega forests... None of which were easily found in that area (nor most of the rest of the planet). Fossils of Dinosaurs (and australopithicus afarensis) are found in the middle east where Jesus was wandering around... Along with fossils of rain-forest-type trees... Far from the semi-desert area that Mesopotamia and surround areas have been for the past billion years...

Dinos and people did NOT walk around together... The Behemoth was not a Brontosaurus, or diplodocus, or Brachiasaurus, or Seismosaurus...

TRiAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mach10:
wTF??? Where'd my "Dino" Post go!??!

Huh...

Fine, I'll summarize:

1) Dinos + humans could NOT co-habitate in the same eco-system... Megafauna needs MEGA food from Mega forests... None of which were easily found in that area (nor most of the rest of the planet). Fossils of Dinosaurs (and australopithicus afarensis) are found in the middle east where Jesus was wandering around... Along with fossils of rain-forest-type trees... Far from the semi-desert area that Mesopotamia and surround areas have been for the past billion years...

Dinos and people did NOT walk around together... The Behemoth was not a Brontosaurus, or diplodocus, or Brachiasaurus, or Seismosaurus...

Hehehe, were you there? Can you tell us for certain? PROVE it. How many people were on the planet sharing in the bounty then? What about the HUGE plants back then? Bugs the size of Volkswagens...etc. How do you know what Mesopotamia was like 2000 years ago? You didn't send me a picture postcard.

LOL! I love it when people's own arguments work against them (and I'm certain these will work against me later ) !!!

Mach10

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2001 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post

Hehehe, were you there? Can you tell us for certain? PROVE it. How many people were on the planet sharing in the bounty then? What about the HUGE plants back then? Bugs the size of Volkswagens...etc. How do you know what Mesopotamia was like 2000 years ago? You didn't send me a picture postcard.

LOL! I love it when people's own arguments work against them (and I'm certain these will work against me later ) !!!

lol
Well, I didn't use those arguments... Or did I? Whatever... I'll harvest all my info for you... Lemme get my notes

1) Nope. wasn't there... BUT... Based on archaeological evidence, the people living around Jesus' time were fairly typical desert-people. Baked-brick houses etc... But you know what the best proof is? POTTERY. You won't EVER find well-formed pottery in tropical areas. Reason being is that a humid atmosphere prevents the proper firing. The drier the clime, the better the pots... The middle east has some stunning pottery. Second, it's been repeated over and over in the bible that these people are agricultural... Well, agriculture is EXCEEDINGLY difficult in tropical areas. You can't grow grains. Can't grow much of anything except Manioc.
So, it's safe to say that Mesopotamia was between an arid desert, or temparate grassland. BOTH of which cannot support the 10T + Megafauna listed previously... All of those specimens require DENSE forests and swamps. Also, for these beasts to survive, you'd need carnivores capable of thinning the ranks, or else they'd all die from starvation. Don't hear of too many references to Allosaurus, Velociraptor, or Tyranosauraus Rex.

2) HUGE forests? Sure... Plenty of fossil record... But that's the problem. They are FOSSILS. It takes CONSIDERABLY longer than 20, 30, 40k years to make an organic object into a rock. Try on the order of hundreds of thousands. If this weren't the case, we'd be finding fossilized artifacts from these areas. We don't. Just crumbling, dried out bits of wood, bone, metals, stone tools, and pottery. Giant Bugs? Yes, but again, in the fossil record. Argue all you like about how C-14 dating is inaccurate... But you won't find ANY fossils younger than about 100kyo.

TRiAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2001 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mach10:
Don't hear of too many references to Allosaurus, Velociraptor, or Tyranosauraus Rex.

Read Job 41. "Leviathan" could have been that huge crocodile/dino critter...

2) HUGE forests? Sure... Plenty of fossil record... But that's the problem. They are FOSSILS. It takes CONSIDERABLY longer than 20, 30, 40k years to make an organic object into a rock.

When's the last time someone made an organic specemin(sp?) into a rock in the lab? HMmmm?

Science has yet to get out of it's own way when it comes to dates...
Circular reasoning...

[This message has been edited by TRiAD (edited 11-30-2001).]

Mach10

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2001 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post
Actually, it's been duplicated, I think... I'll go talk to Geology tommorrow, if I have time

As for Leviathan... Why not just a large shark? And REALLY... Allosaurus, T-Rex, and Raptors look NOTHING alike... Surely they weren't as simple as to call everything Marklark?

There's nothing wrong with our present modes of dating. They all tend to back each other up. The problem with BIBLICAL dating is that you are using only ONE source. You'd be laughed out of any museum if you only applied ONE technique to a sample. Yet, in the biblical examples, that is EXACTLY what your'e doing.

The problem with "Creation Science" is that it doesn't set out to prove that the bible is right, just that certain Scientific methods are wrong. That's a SHITTY way to make an argument. Funny part is that they can't ever discredit a single method. All they do is trumpet about how it was wrong on X,Y, and Z samples... Again, not much of a logical argument.

Now, C-14 dating has shown OVER AND OVER to be consistant, within a margin or error. The problem is that the sample must be prepared right, or else the numbers are skewed. C-14 U-T and K dating have ALL been tested on KNOWN samples... (ie. stuff with dates, or from known sources) and they perform consistantly. Now GIVEN, as you go further back, the 5% error starts representing larger and larger numbers. And yes, a corrupted sample will give bogus dates. Same as a blood-test...

What it boils down to is that science isn't being circular... It tries it's own methods from different angles, and from different sources. Science ACKNOWLEDGES that it can be wrong. That's what level of error is. If anything, following the bible is circular. You're testing theories against a single source, verified from that same source... Just because the bible doesn't contradict itself doesn't mean that it's right.

Editing... Plz stand by... Hit post too early..

[This message has been edited by Mach10 (edited 11-30-2001).]

TRiAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2001 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADDirect Link to This Post
There's still no dude with a rock he's personally owned for 1 million years to tell you you're right. No "control" for the study. No positive results.
Mach10

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2001 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post

There's still no dude with a rock he's personally owned for 1 million years to tell you you're right. No "control" for the study. No positive results.

I've seen it done chemically... and I know the process. It happens naturally...

But yes, I haven't seen a rock studied for 1 million years

But that doesn't mean it didn't happen. (ouch... Double-edged sword )

So how do *YOU* explain the fossil record?
Dinosaurs, Australopithecus Robustus/Boisee Australopithecus Afarensis, Homo Habilis, Homo Erectus, Homo Sapiens Neanderthalensis?

How do you explain the mineral calcification of what are OBVIOUSLY skeletons of long-dead critters?

EDIT: Oh, Bugger... I've contradicted myself... Hang on a few

Ok, as far as it goes, we've tested C-14 dating against MANY sources. Historical data, Known physical elements etc. ACCURATELY, to within a few years, we can only realistically go back about 50k years. After that, we start running into the level of error. That magic 5%
Our control set for these dates are numerous. We DO have empirical evidence to support that C-14 DOES work that far back.

As we move further back, our calibration scale drops off, and we are forced to use the ABSOLUTE date of carbon. This is where that error % comes in.

Now, we DO have hard data that says that the world is AT MINIMUM 50,000 years old, based on the fact that we can clearly look back that far with absolute certainty... But we find things that are MUCH MUCH older than that. So we push the scale back, and accept that there is error. Based on C-14 dates, I can say with reasonable certainty that this dinosaur bone is 4.5 million years old. Giving that kind of a number is allowing for a HUGE level of error.that could mean ANYTHING from 4,500,000 to 4,544,444 years old... That's OBVIOUSLY a gross oversimplification... A real sample would come out to something like 4,529,425 +/- 5%...

The problem with using a manuscript vs. a measuring device? 1 SINGLE ERROR renders the entire document invalid. There's no allowance for error. the bible says that "THIS HAPPENED AT THIS TIME" So if it's even a year off, then it throws everything out the window.

Now, There isn't any "control" for both arguments, I will concede... But Science has the upper hand. MANY MANY different BUT CONSISTANT techniques give us the information. The Bible is hardly empirical... Were YOU there when it was written, and did YOU supervise each one of it's translations/copying?

I would like to take this space to say that I am REALLY starting to enjoy this thread. It's becoming constructive and more than entertaining

Civilized discussions rule, don't they

JSocha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2001 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JSochaSend a Private Message to JSochaDirect Link to This Post
One more post and its page 10 after this post!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 24 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock