Started on: 03-27-2007 07:30 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: Gokart on 07-27-2007 05:30 AM
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
Not much tech info to add because it was covered very well in these threads. Putting these together with my pics will hopefully help anyone who may want to take this on! I placed them in my own personal order. crzyone's is the best. I got alot of the pm help as well especially from Fierosound and Oreif
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-1-041889.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...001206-1-001208.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...031229-1-027763.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050818-2-059873.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-1-057552.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...030204-1-019876.html

The only difference is I made a template out of cardboard first for the sides after seeing how crzyone found this out after making his box that the back firewall is by no means square! Also, do not try to nail MDF together! Use P/L construction adhesive and angle brackets because it will split big time!

I drilled holes and used plastic anchors on the frame face to attach the front piece after so I wouldn't split the sides.

Completed box frame

I placed the frame against the firewall then scored where it was going so I could grind the paint off the metal for better adhesion.

[This message has been edited by Gokart (edited 03-27-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
Foamed drivers side

Foamed passengers side

Drivers side box attached.

Passenger side attached

I used this product to fiberglass the openings after foaming and attach the boxes to the firewall.
http://www.westmarine.com/w...+matchallpartial/0/0

Drivers side complete

Passenger side complete

If I can help out at all with any questions ask away or send me a PM
Marc

Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

Gokart

4635 posts
Member since May 99
Here are the drivers I'm using per Oreif's advice and I have NO regrets
http://www.onlinecarstereo....aspx?ProductID=17405

------------------

Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Nice work. But I wouldn't be able to put my seat back enough. Beautiful work though.
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:
Nice work. But I wouldn't be able to put my seat back enough. Beautiful work though.

You're right....this wouldn't be a good project for tall drivers who need alot of leg room! I believe I lost 3 positions counting from the back which didn't matter to me because mines always up to the 4th anyway You could always make the boxes even slimmer than I did though and get drivers with shallow magnets. TKS for the compliments
Marc

kinboyatuwo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kinboyatuwoSend a Private Message to kinboyatuwoDirect Link to This Post
Makes me wish I was not 6'3"....well no, not really, no dunking or big v-ball hits or tall girls...I will keep my legs!

But nice job and well finished

Chris
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Worth the effort isn't it? How do you LOVE it?

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

CoryFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroDirect Link to This Post
Very nice. It looks great, and I'm sure it sounds awesome. I have a few questions.

How much do your boxes stick out?

How deep/wider are your magnets, and how close are they to the back of the 2nd firewall?

Do you have any idea of how much air space you have?

Thanks!

Cory
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I love the map pockets built into the boxes - GREAT idea!
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
I have never seen anyone put those map pockets behind the seats before (but then I don't go around the car shows flipping peoples' seats forward to look behind them). Makes me wonder why I never thought of that... I'm too blonde I guess. Anyway, I really like it.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Those look nice,

I could possible do one on the passenger side, but I have my drivers seat all the way back and wouldn't mind if I could push it back a couple more notches. I wonder if you could mound shallow driver subs in the firewall without losing any legroom?
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Those look nice,

I could possible do one on the passenger side, but I have my drivers seat all the way back and wouldn't mind if I could push it back a couple more notches. I wonder if you could mound shallow driver subs in the firewall without losing any legroom?

yes, there is. there is some room between the backwall and the seat. with the seat all the way back, the top hits the back wall - the bottom doesnt. that, and the extra 2" you get from going to the dbl wall, there is room. I have 6x9's in mine behind the seat, and the seat is all the way back.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 315
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Unsafe At Any SpeedSend a Private Message to Unsafe At Any SpeedDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoryFiero:

------------------

My Build Thread

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Looks GREAT!
Glad all of us could help.
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:
Worth the effort isn't it? How do you LOVE it?

Originally posted by Oreif:
Looks GREAT!
Glad all of us could help.

LOVE it very much and it was well worth the effort! Thank you both for all your advice!

Originally posted by CoryFiero:
How much do your boxes stick out?
How deep/wider are your magnets, and how close are they to the back of the 2nd firewall?
Thanks!
Cory

Take a look at my side template I made.

This is the key to making the box fit nice and tight up against the firewall and makes it so easy to glass in. To answer you question the widest place in my side template is 4.5 inches plus the 3/4 face that gets nailed on after. So somewhere in the middle it sticks out about 5 1/4 inches. I made the frame on an angle as well because that's the way I like my seat...reclined back slightly. The on-line car stereo link above has the specs on the mags. There is about 3 to 3.5 inches between the back of the magnet and the firewall. I could've made the boxes much slimmer if I wanted too. Maybe you can calculate the air space for me The boxes are 15 inches across and 26.5 inches up and down. There is about 2 inches of depth starting at the top and gets larger as you get closer to the driver. I'll guess about 12 inches from the center of the driver hole to the 2nd firewall.

Originally posted by Pyrthian:
I love the map pockets built into the boxes - GREAT idea!

Originally posted by Cheever3000:
I have never seen anyone put those map pockets behind the seats before (but then I don't go around the car shows flipping peoples' seats forward to look behind them). Makes me wonder why I never thought of that... I'm too blonde I guess. Anyway, I really like it.

Thanks for the compliments! I had to put them somewhere after putting 6 x 9's in my door

I got the idea when I made these. They were removeable https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050818-1-049964.html

Originally posted by jscott1:
Those look nice,
I could possible do one on the passenger side, but I have my drivers seat all the way back and wouldn't mind if I could push it back a couple more notches.

Just make one for your passenger side! The driver hits MUCH harder on that side anyway. Probably because of the gas lines? Ever noticed this in your set-up Fierosound?

[This message has been edited by Gokart (edited 03-28-2007).]

crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2007 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart:

Not much tech info to add because it was covered very well in these threads. Putting these together with my pics will hopefully help anyone who may want to take this on! I placed them in my own personal order. crzyone's is the best. I got alot of the pm help as well especially from Fierosound and Oreif
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-1-041889.html

Wow, good job on the sub install. I like the idea of the brakets you made on the inside of your box. I just used extra fiberglass to hold mine together along with carpenters glue.

Thanks for the reference, I'd hoped my thread helped some people. I don't surf here much so I completely missed your thread the first time around.

As for the front of my box, I predrilled the holes and used fairly long screws. They are held on pretty strongly. I was also contemplating cutting thin strips of rubber to help seal the front of the box.

Only problem I found with my install is that I need to add more layers of glass. The firewall seems to vibrate a bit more that I think it should. Insulation on the inside of the box helped me a lot as well.

Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2007 05:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
There you are Long time...no see!

Originally posted by crzyone:
Wow, good job on the sub install. I like the idea of the brakets you made on the inside of your box. I just used extra fiberglass to hold mine together along with carpenters glue.

The MDF splits very easily when nailed or screwed into the sides so I came up with the angle brackets!

Originally posted by crzyone:Only problem I found with my install is that I need to add more layers of glass. The firewall seems to vibrate a bit more that I think it should. Insulation on the inside of the box helped me a lot as well.

The stuff that West Marine sells in my link above is twice as strong as fiberglass! I used strips of cloth fiberglass with the epoxy resin and it's rock solid! I even used that product to adhere the door and fender pieces of my stage 2 kit.

Originally posted by crzyone:I don't surf here much so I completely missed your thread the first time around. Thanks for the reference, I'd hoped my thread helped some people.

I know because I had sent you a few pm's back when I started the project but didn't get a reply. Thank-you and others above because if you didn't have the guts and insight to go for this I wouldn't have even started it for myself. My stereo system kicks serious ass

[This message has been edited by Gokart (edited 07-27-2007).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock