firewall sub hole, question by rims05
Started on: 02-14-2005 07:04 PM
Replies: 22
Last post by: rims05 on 02-25-2005 10:55 PM
rims05

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2005 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rims05Send a Private Message to rims05Direct Link to This Post
i am getting ready to put a sub behind the seat on the pass side of my car, i have cut the hole but i found that there is this nice little area where theres thick metal and it sticks out

heres some pics

I just need to know what you have been doing to remove this? i will be able to fiberglass it as soon as i get this stuff out!

thanks,
Travis

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
I used a cutting wheel on an electric drill to cut them out.

------------------
Fiero Fiesta - July 24, 2005 - Calgary, Alberta <--- click this LINK

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

Nelson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NelsonSend a Private Message to NelsonDirect Link to This Post
Keep posting pics as you go, I'd like to do something similar to what you got going on.
(sub behind seat = rumble in the pants)

Hopefully I can make it to show to see the completed project.

[This message has been edited by Nelson (edited 02-16-2005).]

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2005 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
how did you cut that hole out? looks almost like you used a cutting torch or plasma cutter (kinda rough for a plasma though). that would make it easy for me but i'm thinking it can't be either because of the heat, especially neat the gas filler tube.
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2005 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Philphine:

how did you cut that hole out? looks almost like you used a cutting torch or plasma cutter (kinda rough for a plasma though). that would make it easy for me but i'm thinking it can't be either because of the heat, especially neat the gas filler tube.

i'm guessing sawsall
but thats just because i think thats mroe likely than using a chisel which is what it looks like to me

richfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2005 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for richfieroSend a Private Message to richfieroDirect Link to This Post
I used a cutting wheel to cut out those things. When you fiberglass the whole use ductape becuase the fiber glass doesnt stick to it so you could take your box out if you would like.
rims05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2005 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rims05Send a Private Message to rims05Direct Link to This Post

I used a cutting wheel to cut out those things. When you fiberglass the whole use ductape becuase the fiber glass doesnt stick to it so you could take your box out if you would like.

good idea, i never woulda thought of that, i was actually just thinking of how to make it stick to the firewall but now that you say something i don't want it to

i used tin cutters lol, it just kinda tore, i know it was a bad way but i don't really have anything else to use, i wouldn't use a torch either, same reason.

i worked on it a lil more today and got those heavy metal parts out with a cutting wheel used in my drill, then i cleaned everything up a lil bit but thats about all i got done, i'm having engine probs so i can't spend toooo much time on this, thanks for the intrest

i'll keep you guys up-dated,
Travis

[This message has been edited by rims05 (edited 02-18-2005).]

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2005 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
hey, no ridicule from me. you've gone further than i have. had the subs in the basement for a few years and never got around to starting the project (one of my brother's foster sons stole them anyway , so i need some more).
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2005 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
If you have an air compressor a high speed air body saw is the best tool I have ever used. Once you use it you will want to keep cutting the whole car appart. Is just that fun and fast! It can cut almost anyting and they are cheap. Look them herel

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=113

------------------
Palm Beach Fieros
http://pbfieros.tripod.com

Quickster

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2005 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for QuicksterSend a Private Message to QuicksterDirect Link to This Post
Man! Be careful !! Idid this a while back and cut all kinds of stuff, including fuel lines etc. One huge hazard is that the frame's structural strength to the suspension is there and you can F*ck up yer ride if you cut too much out. Go with the Sub in the console. A 8" Kicker square fits perfectly and gives plenty of bump.....
rims05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2005 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rims05Send a Private Message to rims05Direct Link to This Post
man fuel lines and all that are ALL the way through, and theres like 2" in between the two sheets of metal, what'd u use? it musta been a monster,

nothin new to report, sorry
Travis

PFF
System Bot
riley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2005 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rileySend a Private Message to rileyDirect Link to This Post
hey, while you have it out, can you check how deep (thick) the firewall is for me? i would like to know how much mounting depth i can play with when i do my set up like this.
newfierokid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2005 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfierokidSend a Private Message to newfierokidDirect Link to This Post
im doing the same thing but on both sides gonna put 10's behind both seats haha but only 350 watts to each dont wanna hurt anything ill post pics of my new interior and stuff when i can
riley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2005 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rileySend a Private Message to rileyDirect Link to This Post
bump to see if anyone else can answer my question. (2 posts up).
rims05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2005 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rims05Send a Private Message to rims05Direct Link to This Post
ok i measured for you, its 3 1/4" deep at the top, and 2 1/4" deep at the bottom, the area to the left of the little hump (the hump sticks out about an inch and a half) the measurements of that area are, 4" wide and 6" tall

hope this helps ya,
Travis

riley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2005 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rileySend a Private Message to rileyDirect Link to This Post
thanx alot, i wonder if the higher you mount the sub, the deeper you can go.

To anyone who has done behind the drivers seat, do you remember if the fuel fill hose was high or low?

everyone seems to put there subs low to midback height, i am thinking you might get more space from midback to shoulder blade height.

crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2005 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
You can see the filler tube on my stereo install. Just be careful when you cut.

I removed the firewall and havn't felt any handling difference, chasis is still stiff.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/041889.html

p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2005 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post
Anyone know where that post is about the guy making his sub box out of chicken wire and fiberglass, I want to put one of my 15's in my trunk, it will fit, but I need to make a box, and ive never done it before.
riley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2005 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rileySend a Private Message to rileyDirect Link to This Post
chicken wire? hmm, by trunk you mean in the spare tire well, correct? here's a link for one. http://www.perigee.net/~lunapark/pages/subw.html
rims05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rims05Send a Private Message to rims05Direct Link to This Post
anyone ever tried making a custom box behind the seat that would kind of form around the seat? i would think you could the maximum amount of leg room and box space this way,

what i would do is get that expanding foam stuff and put it in a HUGE plastic bag and move the seat so it was about 2-3 inches away from the firewall and at the angle you usually sit at, put the bag behind the seat and let it grow, you would end up with a nice mold for the front side of the sub-box, you could fiberglass it and then glass it into the car, max are space.. max leg room.. sounds nice, let me know what u think maybe i'll try it (where would i get that expanding foam?)

thanks,
Travis

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
the expanding foam is available in "spray" cans, called "great stuff". the idea of cutting them into the firewall, is to leave some space between the seat and the speaker. speakers need airflow. but, your expanding foam idea is a great idea for working out how much space is actually available. I am planning on cutting into my firewall to put speakers in, and will use your foam idea to work out the best box size & port shape & location. because, besides airflow, each speaker has an optimum box volume for best sound & punch.
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2005 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crzyone:

You can see the filler tube on my stereo install. Just be careful when you cut.

I removed the firewall and haven't felt any handling difference, chassis is still stiff.

Just some clarification for people reading this - you haven't actually removed the firewall. The channel that reinforces the firewall is still intact with the ribs welded to the firewall sheet metal. Now, if you cut that channel out, THEN you'd be weakening the structure. Your car still wouldn't fold in half, but that box x-structure does add stiffness.

rims05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2005 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rims05Send a Private Message to rims05Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

the expanding foam is available in "spray" cans, called "great stuff". the idea of cutting them into the firewall, is to leave some space between the seat and the speaker. speakers need airflow. but, your expanding foam idea is a great idea for working out how much space is actually available. I am planning on cutting into my firewall to put speakers in, and will use your foam idea to work out the best box size & port shape & location. because, besides airflow, each speaker has an optimum box volume for best sound & punch.

so just wondering but what size sub are you going to use to be able to make a box big enough to use a ported one? i know that my sealed box will probably be too small for my sub (kenwood 12") and ported ones are usually quite a bit bigger i do like ported though,

maybe you could make 1 box that goes behind both seats, use whatever space is left behind the drivers seat with it however you usually sit, and then make the both connect, you would make a custom center console and mount the sub there, with the magnet facing out (forward), it would save a lotta foot room and you could use a nice 12" sub, and if i ever get time i could pry make a few (if i get around to making the first one) i might have to hold off on my sub and do a little foam sculpting.......*wonders off in thought*......

Travis

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock