Started on: 03-12-2005 10:15 AM
Replies: 16
Last post by: fieroracer86 on 03-13-2005 08:38 PM
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2005 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
First off, I want to thank those who gave me a lot of education by replying to this thread https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/029805.html Especially Mach10 who sent me countless pm's!
The first set was a trial run and I'm MUCH happier with my new ones.
I used 1/2 MDF. I had to special order a 4 x 8 sheet at the lumber yard because they only had 3/4. I guess you could use it but I didn't think it was necessary and that total extra width of a combined 1/2 inch might make the difference in being able to move my seat back comfortably like it does now.
Use a t-square and rip your 4x8 sheet exactly 18 inches. The width between the back of the seats is about 22 inches but I didn't want it right up against the vent for the computer and possibly over heat it!

With this piece you'll be able to get your two front pieces and one back. Cut two pieces 28 1/4 and cut 26 1/2 from whats left for one back. Then square 18 inches again on what's left after your first rip and cut your other 26 1/2 for the other back.

Now take your two 28 1/4 pieces (fronts) and cut out your holes for your ten inch speakers. The holes need to be 9 3/16 in diameter about an inch from the bottom.

Now make the bottoms from what's left after cutting your 2nd back piece. They both will be 18 x 5 1/4. If you have a table saw, 45 the bottom of the front and one side of the bottom. It'll be easier to nail/screw them to together after.

[This message has been edited by Gokart (edited 03-12-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2005 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
Next, stand up your box like the way it needs to sit behind your seat angled. I used P/L construction adheasive on all the seams. I then put a couple of screws (pre-drill) in each corner to sturdy it and then put about five panel nails (the ones with teeth!) acoss the top and bottoms.

Next. Fit your speaker in just to make sure it fits nicely without touching the back of the box

Next. Place your now sturdy box on the MDF you have left and trace your sides. I found this easier then trying to measure this difficult angle. I taped a pencil to a long dowel to get my mark to the corners. After you've made your four sides, cut your hole in two of them if you want it ported. I used a piece of 2 inch by 2 inch pvc for each one. Then use the other two sides for your speaker wire connections. Fit them into your boxes, predrill and nail them securly and P/L all edges.

My poochy thinks MDF stands for "maybe dog food!"

Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2005 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

Gokart

4635 posts
Member since May 99
Nice fit and ready to carpet! It was snowing when I took this pic

They sound awesome and what a difference making the edges meet at the top! I was able to move my seat back where I always liked it and the MDF makes all the difference! Okay...I'm done

F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2005 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
I put my seat back all the way, I'll have to go out and check to see how much room is left behind the seat. Nice job, they'll look excelent with some carpet to finish them off.
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2005 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F-I-E-R-O:
I put my seat back all the way, I'll have to go out and check to see how much room is left behind the seat. Nice job, they'll look excelent with some carpet to finish them off.

I'm hoping I can find something like that felt tan fabric that lines the piece around the center console! That would give it a factory look! Cliff, I've used ALOT of bandwith this week with all these pics $20.00 donation to PFF on it's way
Here's the amp that's powering them!

wantafiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2005 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wantafieroSend a Private Message to wantafieroDirect Link to This Post
So....how much are you going to charge the rest of us to make these, since you're experienced and all?
slickrick2000

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2005 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slickrick2000Send a Private Message to slickrick2000Direct Link to This Post
Yeha I'm going to go out and check how much room I have behind my seats now too. I like my seats pretty much all the way back, but I also lean it back so there might be room.

Nice write up. Thanks for the sharing of the info.

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2005 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
How tall are you?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
93 Northstar and 5 speed Getrag
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread
MY 88 Northstar build thread

Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2005 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GSXRBOBBY:
How tall are you?

5'10! What made all the difference in comfort was taking Mach 10's advice and making the back piece meet the front, unlike the first enclosure I made . Not only was I able to recline the seat back 2 notches, I was also able to move the bolster back another notch. Exactly where I like it. If anyone wants to know how many notches forward I need the seat for these to fit let me know and I'll figure it out today.

Suufmeister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2005 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SuufmeisterSend a Private Message to SuufmeisterDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that's fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
So how many notches forward did you have to move it for minimum clearance?
I was wondering if it would be possible to slice off the top 6-10" and seal it off to make room for the amp above it. Or would that have a negative effect on the sound. I'm not an expert on this stuff but I've read that there should be minumum "cabin space" for subs. That's why I was curious about the effect on sound if the enclosure was cut/reduced up top.
Which sub are you using by the way?
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2005 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Suufmeister:
Wow, that's fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
So how many notches forward did you have to move it for minimum clearance?
I was wondering if it would be possible to slice off the top 6-10" and seal it off to make room for the amp above it. Or would that have a negative effect on the sound. I'm not an expert on this stuff but I've read that there should be minumum "cabin space" for subs. That's why I was curious about the effect on sound if the enclosure was cut/reduced up top.
Which sub are you using by the way?

I'll check in a little bit. I got to get the snow off the car again I mounted my amp in the trunk so I could keep the enclosure good size for more bass. I'd pm Mach 10 with tech questions like I did as far as "space" needed for quality bass. He did the dimensions for me. I have 240 watt 10" MTX subwoofers in each box.

[This message has been edited by Gokart (edited 03-13-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
Disillusion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2005 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DisillusionSend a Private Message to DisillusionDirect Link to This Post
so if i were to use 240 watt MTX 10" subs, the dimensions would be the same as yours?
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2005 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Disillusion:
so if i were to use 240 watt MTX 10" subs, the dimensions would be the same as yours?

Yes. This is what Mach 10 had figured on when I sent him the specs. I doubt you'd be able to fit 12's in there unless they had a short magnet and also having to cut into the firewall and glassing it in, which I didn't want to get into. You may have to though if your tall/long legs! I just checked my seat and it's exactly half way forward. From all the way back to all the way to the steering wheel the seat has ten notched positions. My seat will not go back anymore than the fifth for the subs to fit, which is perfect for me and where I've always had it anyway with my short legs!

KingOfKings

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2005 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KingOfKingsClick Here to visit KingOfKings's HomePageSend a Private Message to KingOfKingsDirect Link to This Post
Nice boxes! Something I want to do soon. How much airspace are they? I didn't think it'd be possible to have ported boxes. Also, how deep are they where the sub fits? Most subs require 5-6"s, so I was just curious. Good job, you didn't even have to cut the firewall.

------------------

Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2005 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KingOfKings:
Nice boxes! Something I want to do soon. How much airspace are they? I didn't think it'd be possible to have ported boxes. Also, how deep are they where the sub fits? Most subs require 5-6"s, so I was just curious. Good job, you didn't even have to cut the firewall.

Thanks! Alot of your stereo expertise has helped customize the incredible sound I have now I wanted them ported because I thought with the seat covering the speakers, having some air escaping would be a good thing. The box starts at 5 1/4 at the bottom and obviously declines as the back and front meet at the top. There's about 1/2 to 5/8 space between the back of the mag and the back piece of MDF.

[This message has been edited by Gokart (edited 03-13-2005).]

Convertable Indy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2005 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Convertable IndySend a Private Message to Convertable IndyDirect Link to This Post
NICE! Now I need to go figure how much space I have behind my seats........ GREAT JOB!

------------------

fieroracer86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2005 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroracer86Send a Private Message to fieroracer86Direct Link to This Post
Nice work. A lot of people on the forum are interested in stuff like this.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock