Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  The 'What I'm Seeing Today' thread. (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The 'What I'm Seeing Today' thread. by maryjane
Started on: 04-21-2016 01:31 PM
Replies: 505 (10597 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 04-04-2024 09:44 AM
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2017 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was sitting at a bench over by the Glendale Municipal Airport this morning, taking a break and watching the airplanes come and go.

I watched a small (Cessna 152, maybe) airplane take off and just as it reached the end of the runway, just before the point where many of the smallest planes start to turn either right or left, maybe 200 to 300 feet in the air, it suddenly went completely silent. I thought that seemed like an odd place to cut the throttle. He suddenly made a hard 180 and headed back down to the runway. Just before he set it back down, the engine started briefly then sputtered out again. If it had happened one second earlier, he would not have had enough altitude to turn it around.

I can't imagine a worse time to loose power. I'm guessing he was a very lucky guy. It was about 100o and dead calm.
IP: Logged
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2017 05:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn lucky he wasn't a statistic. Standard procedure says maintain wings level and pick a landing spot. Turns induce drag which cause a loss of airspeed which can only be made up with altitude loss without a working engine. He must have been super lightweight to get away with a turn back at such a low altitude. Many many pilots have become smoking holes trying this. I'm glad it worked this time but the FAA is probably going to have questions.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2017 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bumped into Mr. Robot (Christian Slater) on the street. Chatted for a minute. Incredibly nice guy.
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2017 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tires for a Mitsubishi Eclipse?

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2017 04:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A Roadrunner sitting in a Palo Verde tree, It just doesn't get much more Arizona than that!

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saturday:

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There goes my diet......
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Saturday:

That looks like quite a spread. I hope it was a happy occasion.

A farmer stacking hay along the bicycle path, today.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Saturday:

WOW, SO AWESOME!!!

I can only imagine how awesome that must taste!

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was good, but I paid for it later.
My glucose meter exploded that night...
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2017 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I watched a helicopter hovering over the river bottom, next to the airport. By the sound, I knew he was struggling. After a minute or two, he began to rise and I could see why. Suspended beneath him was a smaller helicopter. He picked it up and took it over to the airport and set it down. I didn't see any damage to the little one, but I was probably about a half mile away. I wonder if it was worked on by the same guy who worked on the little airplane a couple weeks ago

PFF
System Bot
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2017 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure a helicopter tow isn't cheap
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2017 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It was good, but I paid for it later.
My glucose meter exploded that night...

I was thinking that wasn't in line with your diet when looking. That said, it did look rather yummy.
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2017 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Caught this water spout while walking the dog at the beach. Only lasted a couple of minutes but it got my attention.

They aren't usually that dangerous but a few years ago one formed right off the shore about 3 miles north of us, ran up on land and turned into a tornado. The path went right through a camp ground and killed a family of 4.

So, yes, I did check my shorts when I got home.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2017 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Somebody tell this guy I ain't dead yet.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2017 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A Roadrunner skittering across the bicycle path and an Osprey dining on a fish over by the stadium in Glendale Arizona.

Yesterday I watched three Northern Harriers ride a thermal from just above the treetops, round and round, higher and higher until they were completely out of sight.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 10-06-2017).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2017 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From my back porch this morning. He needs a bunch more acorns in him.

spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2017 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
View is south from Washburn Butte. Brownsville, where "Stand By Me" was filmed is in distance at left.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2017 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool stuff
spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2017 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Grandson (12) just showed me a wooden geocoin he had found near Stonehenge last summer:

From the enclosed paper it may just be an advertising give away:

Impressed me anyhow.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2017 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess I startled a javalina, he sure startled me. I was on my bicycle as he darted across my path at full bore. He tried to make a hard left to go through a hole under the fence, but lost traction on the concrete path, spun out and slammed ass first into the fence. He picked himself up, did a javalina burn out and made it through on his second try. I wish I had my GoPro running. It was hilarious.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 11-22-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2018 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took an expensive 96 hr vacation....

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 02-05-2018).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2018 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you OK? Did you fall?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2018 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fine, mostly, and back home. No fall but slight dizzines was one of my problems.
Lost a lot of blood via urine over Thurs/Fri/Sat and in to Sunday but cleared up Sunday night & Monday.
Caused partially because of a specific blood thinner I have to take but I am now (again) off of it, probably permanently ..which is in itself going to be problematic and require a bit of hardware implanted in my heart's left ventricle.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2018 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks like either a tiny lamp shade or a robot jellyfish.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2018 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"A wonderful bird is the pelican
His bill can hold more than his belican
He can take in his beak
Food enough for a week
But I'm damned if I see how the helican"

-Dixon Lanier Merritt

Pelicans in the desert, five miles from home on today's bicycle ride.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 02-22-2018).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2018 02:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Red-tailed Hawk

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2018 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I stopped this morning under the shade of a mesquite tree to take a cool drink of water. It was just over 100o.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 06-04-2018).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2018 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got back from my daily bicycle ride.

It looks like summer is just around the corner.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2018 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I just got back from my daily bicycle ride.

It looks like summer is just around the corner.

No thanks!!!!!!

(That would kill me in short order)
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2018 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think this is a young Bald Eagle, probably less than two years old. Maybe someone who knows better can confirm or correct me.
All I had was my cell phone and though I tried to sneak up, he kept an eye on me and flew away when he had had enough.

PFF
System Bot
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2018 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did not create this video, but I have seen this holiday-decorated commuter train twice in the last few days as I drove towards a nearby railroad crossing, each time during the evening, and the holiday lighting of the train really standing out in the twilight.

If I had not seen it with my own eyes, I would not have deemed this as permissible for me to present.

My mobile phone's photo and video capture capabilities are primitive.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 12-03-2018).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2018 06:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Continued from previous message

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 12-04-2018).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A beautiful December afternoon in Glendale with temps in the low 70s.

I just figured out why I don't do good selfies, I wear progressive lenses and I have to look through the bottom of the lens to see the camera. So, I tilt my head back and I look like I am trying to be arrogant.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maryjane what you been up to?
OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2018 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a great thread! I think I need to tote my camera around more. Everybody sees cool stuff but doesn't always share it. I hope this helps to keep this thread current till I can post some boring things (to some) in my small world.

Marc
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2018 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yesterday, I saw a small dog wandering around the park wearing a complete Santa Claus outfit. No, I was not drinking, but I figure the dog's owner might have had a few.

(Yeah, I'm bored. Hanging around the house listening to Rush and waiting for Buster Brown.)
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2018 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Northern Harrier? three miles from my house:

Edit: Harris Hawk (based on the underside of the wings)

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 02-13-2019).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2019 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I rode past the stadium today, I heard a sound that drew me in like the siren song:

Monster Trucks lined up outside the stadium
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2019 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw my friend the eagle again today:

It has been raining all day with a high of 61o.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock