Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  The 'What I'm Seeing Today' thread. (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The 'What I'm Seeing Today' thread. by maryjane
Started on: 04-21-2016 01:31 PM
Replies: 505 (10597 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 04-04-2024 09:44 AM
jonrev

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2016 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jonrevClick Here to visit jonrev's HomePageSend a Private Message to jonrevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Abandoned cannery next to an abandoned gelatin factory I stopped in before work, yesterday morning. All being prepped for demo - we're fighting to preserve the stack.

IP: Logged
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2016 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What wonderful old beams and planking I spy there.
jonrev--where is it located?
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2016 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jonrev:

You have a good eye.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2016 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
VERY long, day today.

Out the door at 4AM to be at Tampa International by 5AM

6AM flight from Tampa to Washington Reagan and cab ride out to Silver Spring Maryland to see:

Then find building 66 on the huge FDA White Oak campus:

Into the lobby and get cleared by security. No cell phones, no recording devices, X-ray my bags and through the metal detector.

A very STRICT 1 hour meeting with Lieutenant Commander Shermer and a few members of the ODE DOD team.
Not one minute longer or shorter, and never allowed to deviate from the pre-agreed agenda.

Cab ride back into downtown Washington DC with my associates. Stuck in the usual DC traffic. The U.S. Department of the Interior on the left and the Washington monument just visible through the trees on the right.

Late lunch at a historic Washington restaurant:

A nice meal after a long morning and early afternoon:

Back in another cab and heading back to Reagan National for a 6PM flight back home, DC to Atlanta, then Atlanta to Tampa.

Rolling past the Washington monument near sunset:

Jefferson Memorial from the cab before we go across the Potomac toward the airport:

Back onboard a Delta Airlines flight and headed toward home.
Home by 11:30 PM / midnight.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 11-16-2016).]

jonrev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2016 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jonrevClick Here to visit jonrev's HomePageSend a Private Message to jonrevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

What wonderful old beams and planking I spy there.
jonrev--where is it located?

Grayslake, IL - midway between Chicago and Milwaukee. The sweet corn and peas cannery dates to 1904, and the gelatin factory came in 1912 originally as a condensed milk cannery. The smokestack came sometime in-between. Gelatin production started there in 1922 and continued for 50 years, it was the village's longest-running factory - closing due to an energy crisis in 1982.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2016 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Always enjoy your abandoned pics John.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2016 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been raining since yesterday morning. I went for my bicycle ride as soon as I saw some blue sky.

And now it is raining again.
jonrev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jonrevClick Here to visit jonrev's HomePageSend a Private Message to jonrevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This factory is where the quality went in before the name went on...

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great Egrets - one has a fish! Didn't think you'd see that in the desert, did ya?

Red Tailed Hawks

Hindu Camel Cow #213 - Ohhmmm.......

(I know it's a Brahma)

....on today's bicycle ride.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2016 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to leave the Serengeti now, they've got no use for the Maasai cow.

on today's bicycle ride

What kind of cows are these (besides, of course, silly looking)? Ankole-Watusi, maybe?

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 12-05-2016).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2016 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is what counts as a river in Arizona.

New River in Peoria, AZ. about 71/2 miles from my house.
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2016 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw an epic battle this morning.

I was cruising along the bicycle path approaching the Glendale Recharge Ponds, when ahead and to my right I saw the Osprey just hauling ass, flapping his wings like the worlds largest humming bird.

As he did a power dive toward the top of a power pole, I realized that he was headed straight at a Bald Eagle. The Eagle spread his wings in defiance and stood his ground as the Osprey took a couple more bombing runs. Finally, the Eagle relented and headed to the next pole, where the Osprey resumed his attack.

Eventually, they headed out over the ponds and played “Snoopy and the Red Baron” for about a minute until the Eagle had had enough and departed for more tranquil skies.

To the Osprey, it was the avian equivalent of “get off my lawn”.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2017 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We had some rain up north, so the river almost looked like a river today.

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2017 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a dusting of snow last night, most melted today.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2017 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

Got a dusting of snow last night, most melted today.

That's a nice pic.
spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2017 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank's! There's a pathway behind the house that goes over some "wetlands" (swamp) where that picture was taken.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2017 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw the bald eagle again today on the very same pole the osprey chased him from two weeks ago. It was a gray day and all I had was my cell phone.

This guy came over to give me the evil eye while I was taking pics of the eagle.

I'm sure he was just trying to be friendly. He hangs out with the Hindu Camel Cow so he's probably all like, "Peace, Bro", but I don't carry carrots and I still don't trust any animal that is bigger than me.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 01-13-2017).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2017 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today's ride:

This little diner might just be the best kept secret in the county.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 01-15-2017).]

spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2017 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice pics! That horse sure looks like it could use a fly mask..
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2017 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suppose I should sometimes post in my own thread, but I really don't get out and go anywhere.
I do need to have a few words with my dogs... about what it actually means to be a dog....but I guess this is what happens when you neuter and spay.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2017 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After the rains, the normally dry river bed gets an emerald carpet.

New River, in Glendale, AZ today.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 02-13-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2017 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I saw a bunch of these landing in Nanning yesterday. I had forgotten how tiny they are up close.

Here is a link to a wiki page for anyone who like fighters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chengdu_J-7
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2017 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The venerable Fishbed. Lots of them still around. IIRC, the US even bought some from China to use in aggressor training.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2017 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An Arizona flood.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2017 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today, the river was a river. I pedaled across this river yesterday, but the water is still coming down from the north today. It has been an exceptionally wet winter.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

https://goo.gl/photos/KCdfgUb1X1jmVVeT9

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 03-01-2017).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2017 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Big doin's at the stadium this week.....something about a basketball game, I think.

What the heck is a Gonzaga?

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 03-31-2017).]

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2017 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Know what these are?

Cargo ships at anchor.

We have an anchorage about 10 miles long X 2 miles wide and about a mile from shore right in front of our beach. It is set aside for ships waiting to get into the busy port of Norfolk, VA.

Not exactly thrilled with a bunch of cargo ships interfering with the view but the US Navy has laid claim to another nearby anchorage for amphibious assault practice and well, they have the guns so.................

BTW, we have Mr. Trump to thank for this recent development because those are COAL SHIPS. Usually there are two to four of them out there but starting a month ago the number has slowly increased to where there are now at least a dozen at any one time.

I know, I know, this is 1st world problem. Unless some of the crew decide to swim ashore. We've got a very pro-2nd community so it could end up looking like "Normandy Part Deux".
spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2017 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What part of 'no tents' don't you understand?

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2017 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
About 100 drums of good herbicide would do that place a world of good.....
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2017 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A pair of these unidentified birds have appeared here every spring for the last 3 years--and only the one pair. I do not know what they are.

Here's one of them from last spring having a few words with noisy Mr Squirrel.

And another sure sign of Spring here. The swallows have returned. In past years, they have built one or 2 of their mud nests under the eaves near the very peak of the house, and have done so again this Spring, but I noticed this morning, a pair has also began building a nest under the ceiling of my back porch. I will probably remove this nest, as they do tend to make a mess. I do enjoy watching their acrobatics every morning and evening tho.

Nazareth

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2017 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NazarethSend a Private Message to NazarethEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wednesday morning. Kill Devil Hills, NC
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2017 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
'Red sky in morning..sailor take warning'....
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2017 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was doing my walk around (happened to be in Taipei, Taiwan) when I noticed this on the nose gear. Now my airline is famous for being cheap so I can only assume this was the lowest cost option for a nose wheel. If you cannot read it, it says GOODRICH Troy, Ohio U.S.A.

[This message has been edited by Hudini (edited 04-18-2017).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2017 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
U.S.A.! U.S.A.! U.S.A.!!!
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2017 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A cornfield along the bicycle path.

Mesquite beans are everywhere.

The indigenous people ground them into flour to make bread and boiled them for tea. They have a sweet flavor.

I brought a few home.

Mesquite wood is a favorite for barbecue around here.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2017 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:
Mesquite beans are everywhere.

The indigenous people ground them into flour to make bread and boiled them for tea. They have a sweet flavor.

I brought a few home.

Mesquite wood is a favorite for barbecue around here.

One word.
Sendero

Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2017 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Singapore by day

and night

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2017 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stuck in my office today, but still seeing photos of my son and daughter in law on the waterfront in Tel Aviv, Israel this evening.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 06-22-2017).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2017 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Makes your mouth water, doesn't it?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2017 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

A pair of these unidentified birds have appeared here every spring for the last 3 years--and only the one pair. I do not know what they are.

Do you get Cormorants around there? Could be that maybe.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock