Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Will we ever know what happened to Malaysia Flight MH-370 (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Will we ever know what happened to Malaysia Flight MH-370 by maryjane
Started on: 03-10-2014 09:00 AM
Replies: 365 (7236 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 01-17-2017 08:17 AM
htexans1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by uhlanstan:

what date did Karl Marx die???

14 March, 1883. (Hey he asked).

[This message has been edited by htexans1 (edited 03-16-2014).]

IP: Logged
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since the main religion of Malaysia is Islam and the investigation is admitting that the most likely scenario is hijacking, Iran seems a likely destination to me. North Korea would come in second for me. I'd also like to hear from the TSA bashers to see if they think the TSA is still way over the top?

Edit: Oops!
Fixed to say TSA not NSA

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 03-17-2014).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

Is anybody else looking on Tomnod.com?

I started over the weekend as well. It has a few annoying bugs but other then that, it's a neat idea.

The only problem with having people help in the search this way, is that people are stupid. I just had a look at what people tag. Boats. I mean, not something that resembles a boat if you squint your eyes. The only thing that could make it more obvious that these things are boats is if they had a big ass label next to it saying "boat". And then lots of people agreeing this might be something of interest.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:
I'd also like to hear from the NSA bashers to see if they think the NSA is still way over the top?

The NSA did not stop the Boston Marathon bombing despite two warnings from Russia for the exact guys responsible. The NSA did not stop the Times Square attempt. The NSA does not know what happened to Flight MH-370 even though their capabilities were designed for use in the surveillance overseas.
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it was pilot suicide as many suspect, the pilot would know the ocean leaves a debris trail to the evidence. Suicide voids insurance policies. So if you were a pilot wanting to commit suicide without being obvious, wouldn't you crash into a small, uninhabited island where jungle growth would soon hide any evidence of impact?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurker:

imo, unless the goal was to protract the search, ditching or crashing in the middle of the indian ocean doesn't make sense either. whoever did this could just as easily have put down before changing course. somebody wanted that airplane.

Totally agree with you. It dont make any sense that someone wanted to kill themselves or passengers. They could have just dived it straight down where they were. No reason to go flying all over that part of the world to find a spot. I have no thoughts whether it was the pilots or a passenger who did it, but to me its perfectly obvious they wanted the plane, not to kill themselves. Theres is no other logical reason for the plane doing what it did. I dont think the Malaysian government or airline has anything at all to do with anything.

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

Since the main religion of Malaysia is Islam and the investigation is admitting that the most likely scenario is hijacking, Iran seems a likely destination to me. North Korea would come in second for me. I'd also like to hear from the NSA bashers to see if they think the NSA is still way over the top?

Yes, they are still way over the top, but Why--have they stopped snooping on everyone's phone calls and emails?
Have they stopped lying to the American public and congress?
(not rhetorical questions)

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-16-2014).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some have speculated that the theft of an aircraft might have been the goal, but it could just as easily been a kidnapping operation. Maybe nobody wanted an aircraft, but rather wanted someone on that aircraft.
One possibility: http://media.freescale.com/...D=1907348&highlight=
Remember that the answer doesn't have to be likely, merely possible.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Eh, The last words you will hear is Boss, Da Plane, Da Plane......... As it shows up 500ft off the deck and 500ft in front of the Oval Office with the engines screaming at FULL THROTTLE.

Sorry I am just poking fun, I think the whole pilot suicide theory is out too lunch, too many crew that would have stopped him. Some diaper head probably found some new semi solid material that could be activated into a gas to incapacitate the crew and passengers then took the plan for a joyride.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics For Sale $4000, Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Some have speculated that the theft of an aircraft might have been the goal, but it could just as easily been a kidnapping operation. Maybe nobody wanted an aircraft, but rather wanted someone on that aircraft.
One possibility: http://media.freescale.com/...D=1907348&highlight=
Remember that the answer doesn't have to be likely, merely possible.

Freescale Semiconductor was once the Semiconductor Products Sector of Motorola:

http://media.freescale.com/...ewsArticle&ID=831749

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 03-16-2014).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

If it was pilot suicide as many suspect, the pilot would know the ocean leaves a debris trail to the evidence. Suicide voids insurance policies. So if you were a pilot wanting to commit suicide without being obvious, wouldn't you crash into a small, uninhabited island where jungle growth would soon hide any evidence of impact?

You are right that the driving force to keep flying (when suicide is the motive) is the insurance policy. If the pilot wanted to commit suicide (and wants the insurance policy to pay) he would want it to be as hard as possible for anyone to find the black boxes. If they are found, they will point to suicide...if they aren't found, it gets very hard to prove it. The battery on black boxes lasts about 30 days, and in ideal conditions can be detected about 500 miles away. If they can't be tracked down in that timeframe, in deep water, they will likely never be found. Crashing on an island, there is always the possibility the black boxes will survive. If this is the scenario (suicide), the pilot would crash the plane where it will best hide the evidence.

Based on the current speculative info, my money is on a pilot (or co-pilot) suicide in the middle of the Indian Ocean.
PFF
System Bot
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
now they're reporting that based on ACARS engine-status pings it either turned north, last located ~8am local time on an arc going north from NE corner of thailand, near the border with china and vietnam, or south, on an arc going south from jakarta, indonesia. the thai-china-vietnam area is heavily militarized, and hence well covered with radar. the jakarta area has thin radar coverage. there seem to have been no further acars pings.

the quality of reporting on this is abysmal. speculation released as news, dribs and drabs, ad revenues must be through the roof.

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 03-17-2014).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 05:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the intent was to steal it, weaponize it, and use it, what do you suppose the turnaround time frame is?
A few days, weeks?
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An interesting theory this morning to get around the radar issue:
http://keithledgerwood.tumb...isappear-using-sia68
to summarize:

I quickly realized that SIA68 (another 777) was in the immediate vicinity as the missing MH370 flight at precisely the same time. Moreover, SIA68 was en-route on a heading towards the same IGREX waypoint on airway P628 that the Malaysian military radar had shown MH370 headed towards at precisely the same time.

It is my belief that MH370 likely flew in the shadow of SIA68 through India and Afghanistan airspace. As MH370 was flying “dark” without transponder / ADS-B output, SIA68 would have had no knowledge that MH370 was anywhere around and as it entered Indian airspace, it would have shown up as one single blip on the radar with only the transponder information of SIA68 lighting up ATC and military radar screens.

Worth a read in my opinion, as it answers some questions about the strangeness of the flight path.

A different point of view that there may have been an engine fire:
https://plus.google.com/106...07/posts/GoeVjHJaGBz
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 03-17-2014).]

carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

The NSA did not stop the Boston Marathon bombing despite two warnings from Russia for the exact guys responsible. The NSA did not stop the Times Square attempt. The NSA does not know what happened to Flight MH-370 even though their capabilities were designed for use in the surveillance overseas.

Oops....Old-timers caught up to me. I meant TSA.

Just the same, NSA might also be pertinent.
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

carnut122

9122 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by maryjane:

Yes, they are still way over the top, but Why--have they stopped snooping on everyone's phone calls and emails?
Have they stopped lying to the American public and congress?
(not rhetorical questions)

Oops! I meant TSA not NSA. I hate old-timers!
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the connection to marx's birthday, while tenuous, might be interesting. it could imply either communists, or anti-communists. unclear. could mean anything, or nothing.

i'm starting to lean toward the southern (jakarta, indonesia) route. avoids most radar, and there's an insurgency going on in eastern indonesia.
http://news.xinhuanet.com/e...2/22/c_132186139.htm
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interactive map of the region with airports and their widths/lengths/names:
http://www.theatlantic.com/...eractive-map/284445/
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think its time someone starts a betting pool.... first on where the plane is (either landed, shot down or crashed on its own) and 2nd on how many passengers are either executed or dead.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics For Sale $4000, Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess this is to be taken with a grain of salt--I know nothing about the reliability of this website:
MH370 not the first big Boeing to fly undetected across that area
PFF
System Bot
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the computer on a plane control cabin pressure?

Long stretch here… Way long stretch… But with how sophisticated planes are today, computers control everything, including, in some cases the landing. What if a central component of the system was hacked? Systematically shut down all communication and transponders, send erroneous alerts to the pilots to confuse them while depressurizing the cabin to incapacitate the pilots, crews and passengers. Then enter no autopilot coordinates, fly and land the plane where you want it.

Way farfetched, but people claim to be able to hack cars… Compared to planes, a car’s computer is a calculator…

Worse case, it would make a cool movie…

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

If the intent was to steal it, weaponize it, and use it, what do you suppose the turnaround time frame is?
A few days, weeks?

Unless they can completely surprise without being seen heading to their target.... becuase I would hope places are on the lookout now....
Wouldnt they wait quite a while for things to get quiet down? But then again theyd need to do it before the plane gets found. That plane likely needs a long runway, couldnt the long runways all be checked?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-18-2014).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007
Could it also just be a huge distraction?

Thinking about it like that, it could have been masterminded by anyone to distract from anything.

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While Autoland is a great thing you still have to manually drop the flaps and gear. It's not that difficult to teach someone how to do it though.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anywhere that has a long enough landing strip (even a stretch of highway) will prob have a building to hide it in, or just camoflage it outside. A country friendly to the highjacker wouldnt tell you if they had it, like Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, China. If they snuck in under radar, it would be easy and within the range to land it in Austrailian outback. Theres a lot of nearly deserted roads that run straight for tens of miles.
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Anywhere that has a long enough landing strip (even a stretch of highway) will prob have a building to hide it in, or just camoflage it outside. A country friendly to the highjacker wouldnt tell you if they had it, like Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, China. If they snuck in under radar, it would be easy and within the range to land it in Austrailian outback. Theres a lot of nearly deserted roads that run straight for tens of miles.

The problem with that theory is the roads are not capable of handling the phsical weight of the aircraft. I could land but it would be stuck once it came to a full stop. I am putting my money on the plane being in Pakistan or Iran. Those countries seem like prime candidates for supporting a terrorist organizations agenda. Thats just my two cents.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Unless they can completely surprise without being seen heading to their target.... becuase I would hope places are on the lookout now....
Wouldnt they wait quite a while for things to get quiet down? But then again theyd need to do it before the plane gets found. That plane likely needs a long runway, couldnt the long runways all be checked?

Now, yes, but hrs after the last communication, not so much, especially if the landing site was in the opposite direction.
If you look at the link I posted (interactive map) of runways in that region, there appear to be several hundred--maybe more.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Now, yes, but hrs after the last communication, not so much, especially if the landing site was in the opposite direction.
If you look at the link I posted (interactive map) of runways in that region, there appear to be several hundred--maybe more.

It does leave alot of options, especially when it would be being hidden on purpose.

-

found this
Boeing 777-200

Seating
This aircraft seats up to 440 passengers, which is far more than the average for all Jet Jets & Prop Planes.

Range
The Boeing 777-200 can fly nonstop for up to 5,240 nautical mi, which is 2,125 nautical mi more than the average for all Jet Jets & Prop Planes. For reference:
NYC to Los Angeles - 2127 nautical miles
NYC to London - 3016 nautical miles
NYC to Tokyo - 5854 nautical miles

Basic Operating Weight
This weight includes crew and most vital fluids, but excludes fuel and payload. 294,050 lbs
Max Takeoff Weight
Maximum weight allowed for takeoff. This number will be slightly less than the max ramp weight. 545,000 lbs
Max Landing Weight
Under normal (non-emergency) conditions, the maximum weight an aircraft may have upon landing. 445,000 lbs
Max Payload
This is the maximum weight allowable for all passengers and their luggage, with a minimum fuel load. Range will be limited. 125,950 lbs
Max Zero Fuel Weight 420,000 lbs
Useable Fuel Capacity
The amount of fuel that is available to the aircraft while in level flight. 207,700 lbs
Fuel Volume (gal)
Fuel tank capacity. 31,000 gal
External Dimensions
Height (At Tail) 60'9
Length (Overall) 209'1
Wingspan 199

"
http://planes.findthebest.com/l/288/Boeing-777-200

Cool stats including runway requirements for 777-200 and 777-300
http://www.boeing.com/asset...s/acaps/7772sec3.pdf

blackrams

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just guessing here but, it appears the Langoliers has been ruled out by this board?

------------------
Ron
Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

My Uncle Frank was a staunch Conservative and voted straight Republican until the day he died in Chicago. Since then he has voted Democrat. Shrug

spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Just guessing here but, it appears the Langoliers has been ruled out by this board?

That is the likely consensus but still unproven.

PFF
System Bot
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

That's what I was thinking. If they actually stole the thing they have thought out how to hide it in the short term but once we know what we are looking for, it would have to be inside.

Did I read correctly that you can land a 777 in 6500 ft on dry asphalt?
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't stop remembering the times on SNL when David Spade would keep telling the passengers "Buh-bye".
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

Did I read correctly that you can land a 777 in 6500 ft on dry asphalt?

1) Probably yes, if the plane is lightly loaded or you are very good.

2) Assuming that the load capacity of the asphalt is high enough that you don't simply plant the main gear at touchdown. I think the current FAA runway standards for the 777's weight category require that the entire touchdown zone be constructed of steel-reinforced concrete 12 feet thick in order to sustain repeated landing loads with some adequate safety margin.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 03-18-2014).]

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

1) Probably yes, if the plane is lightly loaded or you are very good.

2) Assuming that the load capacity of the asphalt is high enough that you don't simply plant the main gear at touchdown. I think the current FAA runway standards for the 777's weight category require that the entire touchdown zone be constructed of steel-reinforced concrete 12 feet thick in order to sustain repeated landing loads with some adequate safety margin.

With dozers laser-guided so it's as level as possible.
I was working at Airborne Express when they built a new runway for 767's.
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:
found this
Boeing 777-200

Seating
This aircraft seats up to 440 passengers, which is far more than the average for all Jet Jets & Prop Planes.

Range
The Boeing 777-200 can fly nonstop for up to 5,240 nautical mi, which is 2,125 nautical mi more than the average for all Jet Jets & Prop Planes. For reference:
NYC to Los Angeles - 2127 nautical miles
NYC to London - 3016 nautical miles
NYC to Tokyo - 5854 nautical miles

Two interesting points that I read but don't have a good link to confirm anywhere (so take with a grain of salt) is this was a 777-200ER, which stands for Extended Range:
http://www.boeing.com/boein...f/pf_200product.page
It has increased thrust, fuel capacity, maximum takeoff weight, and range.

Second was that a number of seats were blocked off, indicating the cargo bay was more heavily loaded. I believe the estimates were in the 4000lb range given an average passenger and the number of non-usable seats.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post03-18-2014 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still think its interesting that no one has claimed responsibility and made demands. If it was stolen you need a network of people to pull it off.. If you want to re-use it some how, even more.. I wouldn't think you could just sell it as its not like some little 2 seat private prop.

Of course if the pilot or co-pilot just wanted to die, then you dont need any of that.

The whole thing just smells like strange..
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kwagner:

Two interesting points that I read but don't have a good link to confirm anywhere (so take with a grain of salt) is this was a 777-200ER, which stands for Extended Range:
http://www.boeing.com/boein...f/pf_200product.page
It has increased thrust, fuel capacity, maximum takeoff weight, and range.

Second was that a number of seats were blocked off, indicating the cargo bay was more heavily loaded. I believe the estimates were in the 4000lb range given an average passenger and the number of non-usable seats.

4000lb??????
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

4000lb??????

About right for someone shipping a car by air. (That almost happened to me when I shipped my Porsche 911S from Germany to the U.S. in 1969. I dropped my car off with the shipper at the Hamburg airport ... which was allowed ... but due to language difficulties the junior agent who received it started filling out the paperwork to transport the car by air rather than by ship. It was only when I recognized a Lufthansa flight number ... upside down ... that I realized what was about to happen. This was back when the Boeing 707 was still the dominant long-haul airliner; i don't know whether my 2195 pound car would have fit or not. I know the bill would not have fit my budget.)

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 03-18-2014).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are doors on a 777 ER passenger jet that will accommodate the size of a vehicle?
I figured there might be on the freighter configuration but haven't paid much attention to how the passenger jet may be laid out.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock