Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Will we ever know what happened to Malaysia Flight MH-370 (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Will we ever know what happened to Malaysia Flight MH-370 by maryjane
Started on: 03-10-2014 09:00 AM
Replies: 365 (7236 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 01-17-2017 08:17 AM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bayes' Theorem..?

http://america.aljazeera.co...gmalaysianplane.html

They need that guy from the TV series "Numbers". The math freak that teams up with his more conventional crime-fighting FBI agent brother. Or something like that. I didn't follow that series at all.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 03-14-2014).]

IP: Logged
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

Is anybody else looking on Tomnod.com?
I just started about 30 minutes ago.

I tried it out a bit last night on a couple different maps. Really gives you an appreciation for the effort involved. I did come across an oddity, looked like maybe a whale or boat, about 60ft long. I marked it but didn't see anything after that.
Nurb432

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post03-14-2014 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

Is anybody else looking on Tomnod.com?
I just started about 30 minutes ago.

"Crowd searching" satellite images is good idea, but isn't all the images we citizens get old and in general low resolution ( and often with missing pieces )?
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

"Crowd searching" satellite images is good idea, but isn't all the images we citizens get old and in general low resolution ( and often with missing pieces )?

In general, yes. The images given at the site were from a couple days ago (the 9th or 11th I think), and decent resolution (I think the scale used was basically 1px = 2ft or something to that effect). There were some images with a lot of cloud cover, and some in grayscale. The site said the images were provided by DigitalGlobe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DigitalGlobe
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It landed on a Chinese carrier?
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

That would be quite an achievement...
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

That would be quite an achievement...

Wouldn't it tho......

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-14-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

LOL, ya if the Chinese had a 1 1/2 mile long carrier. I think the biggest US carrier is just over 1,000 feet long. A 777 might touch down (assuming the wings would fit) but before they even pulled the throttles back, they would go over the bow of the ship. Even then, airliners landing gear are pretty fragile. Just yesterday one took off and blew out a front tire, they set it right back down and it was enough to collapse the nose gear completely, setting it down on its nose.

If most of what Ive been hearing is fact, my own theory is someone/ or pilots turned off the transponder and got the plane down on the deck to avoid any radar, and flew it somewhere on the asian mainland and landed it for whatever reason. Its in India, China, Thailand, etc to maybe used as a flying bomb by radicals. They seem pretty confident it turned west and north and flew on for 4 or more hours (2000 miles).

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In case you have never seen the Chinese carrier on Google Earth:

38°56'6.06"N
121°36'50.97"E

The ramp at the front would launch the 777 sans the right wing.

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well...here it is...US experts have stepped in and, through detailed analysis, concluded that the plane may have flown north....or south....

I could lay the map on the floor and get my dog to give that kind of detail analysis...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/...ysia-airlines-plane/
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What do the Canadian experts say?
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

What do the Canadian experts say?

Still analyzing the data....

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 03-14-2014).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe they don't have a dog...........
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maybe they don't have a dog...........

Darts work just as well...
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the news tonight, they were saying that the plane jumped from 35000 feet to 45000 feet very quickly, then dropped very quickly to 25000(?) or so. Much lower than normal cruising altitude. I think it was about then that it changed directions.
The speculation is that maybe one of the pilots (or somebody) was fighting the autopilot. (Apparently it can be over-ridden by brute force.)

I'm thinking maybe a struggle on the flight deck.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-14-2014).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

On the news tonight, they were saying that the plane jumped from 35000 feet to 45000 feet very quickly, then dropped very quickly to 25000(?) or so. Much lower than normal cruising altitude. I think it was about then that it changed directions.
The speculation is that maybe one of the pilots (or somebody) was fighting the autopilot. (Apparently it can be over-ridden by brute force.)

I'm thinking maybe a struggle on the flight deck.

If, they made a turn on autopilot (unlikely) I would think the throttles would have remain the same position, and therefore they would lose altitude making the turn, especially if it were a significantly banked turn. Auoto dis-engaged, the pilot would have increased thrust to make an abrupt turn, and would either maintain same altitude or could even gain altitude, but I wouldn't think they would gain anywhere close to 10K feet. If they depressurized, they certainly would have wanted to lose a LOT of altitude very quickly and same if they entered stall.

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post03-14-2014 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the only reson to go to 45,000 feet would be to knock out the passengers,or kill them
the 777 has an automatic landing system,& is easier to land than most big planes
1 of the Pilots had some sort of advanced flight simulator in his house,this is now on the net
Asian pilots have a different thought process,they might actually have open the door!
no American pilot would open the door ,even if they were shooting the passengers
the black box is actually a Fluorescence color
the tail of most planes will float,made from composite material
what date did Karl Marx die???

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 03-14-2014).]

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Day after day what I first wrote has become reality bit by bit. I still hope my theory is wrong tho, Roger it seems you are in same ballpark with your thoughts as me. Then I read this article tonight and it fits yet another part of what I theorized. I hope they are still alive someplace, if they are there is that chance of a special forces intervention to save them. http://news.yahoo.com/malay...jacked-035744022.htm

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 03-15-2014).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Latest says "Conclusively Hijacked".

http://www.latimes.com/worl...40314,0,356436.story
http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/257152
http://www.cbsnews.com/news...h-for-missing-plane/
http://www.foxnews.com/worl...toward-indian-ocean/

he official, who is involved in the investigation, told The Associated Press that no motive has been established, and it is not yet clear where the plane was taken. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief the media.

The official said that hijacking was no longer a theory. "It is conclusive."

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-14-2014).]

pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe they were shot down.
Somebody might have thought they could keep it a secret.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Latest news says its a deliberate act by the Malasian government. Its been announced now that transmissions were being recieved by on board system monitoring was up to 6 - 7 hours after it was 'lost'. Thats enough flight time to be anywhere from Iran to Mongolia to Austrailia (5000 miles). I still say it was stolen and landed somewhere.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 03-15-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Latest news says its a deliberate act by the Malasian government. Its been announced now that transmissions were being recieved by on board system monitoring was up to 6 - 7 hours after it was 'lost'. Thats enough flight time to be anywhere from Iran to Mongolia to Austrailia (5000 miles). I still say it was stolen and landed somewhere.

100% agree I just hope the rest of my theory does not come to fruition.
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok, i can understand al-queda or chinese separatists. but what would the malaysian government have to gain?
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why do so many people here always want to see government conspiracy?
FIEROPHREK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what I have read Malaysian airways was posting quarterly losses for like the past year.

http://www.thestar.com.my/B...s-RM343m-in-Q4-2013/

http://www.thestar.com.my/B...f-RM101bil-for-FY13/

Could this be some sort of publicity stunt to help boost their name in the media?

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROPHREK:

From what I have read Malaysian airways was posting quarterly losses for like the past year.

Could this be some sort of publicity stunt to help boost their name in the media?

Oh yeah, this whole episode would really make the public eager to book a flight with Malaysian Airlines.

I think I'd rather stick with the alien abduction theory over that one.
FIEROPHREK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Oh yeah, this whole episode would really make the public eager to book a flight with Malaysian Airlines.

What is that saying, any publicity is good publicity. Especially if it turns out to be some sort of epic story of how the crew saved the aircraft and passengers from hijackers or some crazy sh!t like that. Who knows just saying desperate times call for desperate measures. What do you think happened?

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What do you think happened?

I already mentioned it.

Originally posted by Patrick:

lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What do you think happened?

co-pilot shot pilot, went to 45k to neutralize passengers. turned off transponders, zig-zagged away to an airfield so that someone can repaint the airplane and re-use it as a flying bomb. didn't know about engine telemetry. i'd like to have a look at co-pilot's home PC, i read somewhere he's got a flight-sim on it. i'd also like to see that last line on MJ's map extended

,at least as far as when the next engine status update would have happened.

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 03-16-2014).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-15-2014 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurker:

i'd like to have a look at co-pilot's home PC, i read somewhere he's got a flight-sim on it.

Not saying you are right or wrong in the theory ( as no one knows yet ) but how is that odd? He's a pilot... He likes flying..
lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:
Not saying you are right or wrong in the theory ( as no one knows yet ) but how is that odd? He's a pilot... He likes flying..

i don't know if it's unusual or not (heck, i've got a flightsim on this PC), but if he rehearsed on his pc there might be useful information about where he's going(gone)
PFF
System Bot
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-15-2014 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i don't know if it's unusual or not (heck, i've got a flightsim on this PC), but if he rehearsed on his pc there might be useful information about where he's going(gone)

Ok, that would make more sense. I thought you meant it was something odd for him to have a simulator in the first place...
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What if he had a flight simulator AND Grand Theft Auto 5 ...that would be all the proof I'd need...
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or a program called Planexploit
lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
imo, unless the goal was to protract the search, ditching or crashing in the middle of the indian ocean doesn't make sense either. whoever did this could just as easily have put down before changing course. somebody wanted that airplane.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-16-2014 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

imo, unless the goal was to protract the search, ditching or crashing in the middle of the indian ocean doesn't make sense either. whoever did this could just as easily have put down before changing course. somebody wanted that airplane.

Or it was just a tragic accident. We may never know.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Malaysian govt has screwed this up, and is not (imo) very well equipped to handle an investigation or search of this magnitude. The search area now, exceeds an area X2 the size of the continental US.
Their Prime Minister somehow reminds me somewhat of Baghdad Bob.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-16-2014).]

jetman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Malaysian govt has screwed this up, and is not (imo) very well equipped to handle an investigation or search of this magnitude.

Exact.

For as fast as our air traffic controllers reacted on 9-11, totally cold, no previous precedent, having other traffic controllers, FBI and air defenses alerted, the Malaysians look like they had no clue whatsoever (and probably didn't).

Granted, they're not telling us everything, but you would think that right after transponders went dark, every air traffic control, military radar and AWAC's plane in the area would have been up and on the case.

Let's hope that they find the black boxes before the pinging devices run out of battery power.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aliens took it and parked it on the dark side of the moon. One day we will find it stripped and sitting on cinder blocks.

Rodney
DanDamage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

Aliens took it and parked it on the dark side of the moon. One day we will find it stripped and sitting on cinder blocks.

Rodney

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock