Custom Fiberglass parts. by Tha Driver
Started on: 12-02-2010 02:31 AM
Replies: 462 (24082 views)
Last post by: Tha Driver on 08-29-2022 04:24 AM
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info guys!
I ordered some SEM 39747 and a qt of Evercoat 994 last night to get me started

Should I use some lightweight filler of some kind (maybe reinforced w/ fibers) to mold-in the vent on the under side of the hood? Some of the gaps between the new vent and old hood under-structure are quite large. What would be the best approch to here?

GoKart, did your vent "clear" the under-structure of the hood fully? Mine made contact in a couple spots which made me had to press down and kinda flex it to fit. I hit the high spots with a lil grinding and it sits just about perfectly now. The high spots were the left & right edges of the weather-strip molded groove and the front edge of the other rear most molded under-structure groove...

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 04-01-2012).]

IP: Logged
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You shouldn't have any large gaps. Post some photos & we'll go from there.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:
GoKart, did your vent "clear" the under-structure of the hood fully? Mine made contact in a couple spots which made me had to press down and kinda flex it to fit. I hit the high spots with a lil grinding and it sits just about perfectly now. The high spots were the left & right edges of the weather-strip molded groove and the front edge of the other rear most molded under-structure groove...

Yes. I just cut a little where necessary until there were no obstructions.

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart:

Yes. I just cut a little where necessary until there were no obstructions.

I didn't want to "cut" as it would have removed the flat section of the under-side where the trunk gasket sits... Just ground down the top side of that area to get the vent to sit flush w/o pressure...
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALJR

3765 posts
Member since Jul 2009

Originally posted by Tha Driver:

You shouldn't have any large gaps. Post some photos & we'll go from there.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

I know I "shouldn't", but I do
When I cut the openings for the actual "vent" portion (after removing the top skin); I made the two openings too large, which made the under-structure too deep to meet up w/ your vent. Leaving about a 1/2" gap between your fiberglass vent and an area of the supporting structure under the hood...
GodSend

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NEW! I now have the "Slide & Lock" fender vents ready. No molding or body work!
$125 shipped. Check them out on the "Fender Vents" page in the link below.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

How much to get shipped to the Toronto area (L5R 4A1) cut to fit a 88 GT.
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GodSend:

How much to get shipped to the Toronto area (L5R 4A1) cut to fit a 88 GT.

I tried to check postage but the USPS site gave me an error: "Calculate Postage is temporarily unavailable.". I'll keep trying.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tha Driver

4559 posts
Member since Sep 2006
Working now: cheapest is $40.80 to Canada according to that. It would make the total $160.
EDIT: But I need a U.S. POSTAL money order or cash...
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

[This message has been edited by Tha Driver (edited 04-01-2012).]

GodSend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Working now: cheapest is $40.80 to Canada according to that. It would make the total $160.
EDIT: But I need a U.S. POSTAL money order or cash...
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

Understood. Actually my company has an office in Buffalo. Let me ask one my colleague if hes willing to store some stuff under his desk untill I make it out there in a few months. Sound reasonable?

Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GodSend:

Understood. Actually my company has an office in Buffalo. Let me ask one my colleague if hes willing to store some stuff under his desk untill I make it out there in a few months. Sound reasonable?

Sounds good to me. At least it's a small package.
PM or email me for my address. You can email me at ImThaDriver at yahoo.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2012 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

At least it's a small package.

Custom Fiberglass Parts

Bet you're a hit w/ the ladies
PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2012 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm still waiting for warmer temps to color & clear.

You and me both. With any luck, i'll have mine done this weekend. Took a few day off at the end of this week to "get er done".

Rob
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2012 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

qwikgta

4659 posts
Member since Jan 2001

I know I "shouldn't", but I do
When I cut the openings for the actual "vent" portion (after removing the top skin); I made the two openings too large, which made the under-structure too deep to meet up w/ your vent. Leaving about a 1/2" gap between your fiberglass vent and an area of the supporting structure under the hood...

Same problem I had. Its easy to guage the size of the overall cut to make in the top skin, but then your "on your own" to figure out how much of the bottom to cut. I measured a million times, made marks, rechecked and finally made the cut, and still cut too much. I had to make some fiberglass "cups" to fit on the sides. I didn't want any air to get blown in between the top/bottom skin. I had asked to see the bottom view on a few who had installed the scoop, but never got a photo. I plan to update my thread soon with some new photos showing the bottom and what had to be done to make it look good.

Rob
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2012 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finaly got the pics uploaded to photobucket...

This pic shows the top fitment w/ the vent in place. Tape was use as a guide for centering...

This is a pic from above w/o the vent in place. You can see where I bonded in a pice I cut from the top skin to fill in the opening above the trunk and some small support tabs. You can also see where I had to file down some of the reinforcement under-structure to make the vent fit flush w/o force...

This pic is of the bottom w/ the vent in place. You can also see the piece I added to fill the trunk hole...

These are some close-up of the bottom-side vent, where I have a large gap that will need to be addressed (somehow)...

Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2012 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking you should cut all the way back to the trunk seal, & cut the center hump out completely.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2012 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm thinking you should cut all the way back to the trunk seal, & cut the center hump out completely.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

That would leave an even larger gap on the left and right "sides" of the vent back by the trunk seal that I would then have to deal with...
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2012 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That would leave an even larger gap on the left and right "sides" of the vent back by the trunk seal that I would then have to deal with...

i'll take some pics, or upload the ones I have, of what I did, but bottom line, you need a lot of filler and maybe some glass to fill the gaps. I used some of the cutout top panel to fill in areas so I would not have to use too much filler (SMC). In the corners I had to make little pockets using fiberglass. I fixed them to the hood/scoop, and then filled over them with SMC and the SMC putty. It took a lot of work, more than the top, to make it look right, and in the end I realized that the only one who would ever see it was me when the hood was open. So, in this case, I got "close enough".

Rob
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2012 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

and in the end I realized that the only one who would ever see it was me when the hood was open.

Rob

Ya, my OCD is getting the better or me

Not really trying to make it "show-quality"; rather just clean and not butchered... Im trying to make all my mods look as though the car came with them, not some autozone sick-on ricer crap...

Would love to see some pics! How/what did you do for a vent screen/grill?
I am leaning toards the honey-comb perforated metal. However, I feel it is quite "see-through" (good for venting) and I don't want a clear view of my radiator/fan... Again, maybe my OCD is overthinking things...

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 04-04-2012).]

Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2012 04:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ya, my OCD is getting the better or me
Not really trying to make it "show-quality"; rather just clean and not butchered... Im trying to make all my mods look as though the car came with them, not some autozone sick-on ricer crap...
Would love to see some pics! How/what did you do for a vent screen/grill?
I am leaning toards the honey-comb perforated metal. However, I feel it is quite "see-through" (good for venting) and I don't want a clear view of my radiator/fan... Again, maybe my OCD is overthinking things...

Coincidence you ask about grill. I started working on mine yesterday. I purchased a sheet here with black powdercoat. http://www.customcargrills....p?prod=Diamond_Small
Nice stuff and very durable.

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2012 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Coincidence you ask about grill. I started working on mine yesterday. I purchased a sheet here with black powdercoat. http://www.customcargrills....p?prod=Diamond_Small
Nice stuff and very durable.

Cool, thanks for the link... Gives me lots of ideas...
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2012 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The expanded metal in the link Gokart listed is what I like to use for a lot of things. It's 3D so if you orient it correctly you can't see through it very well (especially if it's dark or painted black behind it).
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
PFF
System Bot
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2012 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was going to attach the screen last but I'm getting bored waiting for warm temps to color and clear.

I'll just mask it off before I finish the painting.
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2012 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was going to attach the screen last but I'm getting bored waiting for warm temps to color and clear.

I'll just mask it off before I finish the painting.

Looks good!
Any underside pics?
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2012 05:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks good!
Any underside pics?

Thanks and will do but I won't be going back to it until next week. I can tell you I ended up doing what qwikgta did with his. I'm trying to get it really nice under there as well. My car is a daily driver but if I decided to go to a show or two remember that most events you'll have your hood open!

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2012 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Decided to start over for a couple reasons...

I am making the vent opening bigger and wanted the lines to follow the headlights, so I had to move the whole vent further back and additional 3/4"; so not it measures 8" from the front lip of the bumber...

The hood I was using, I purchased just for this vent-mod. Unfortunatly, it has allot of minor cracks around both headlight openings. I started to fix them, but quickly said to myself, WTF am i wasting my time (and money) on fixing this POS hood when I have a perfectly good hood. I kinda wanted to keep the original hood (with its body panel tag intact) just in case the Fiero price goes up. But ohh well...

Good thing is, its allot easier the second time; the under-side structure fits allot better and will be easier to fill and look nice... Will post pics tomorrow of work to date...
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks good!
Any underside pics?

Took a couple today. Painted with Martin Seymour underhood paint! It's darker than the stock underhood color but I'm happy with it.

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Took a couple today. Painted with Martin Seymour underhood paint! It's darker than the stock underhood color but I'm happy with it.

Looks like you cut quite a bit out; even the trunk gasket surface... Or am I just not seeing it right?
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks like you cut quite a bit out; even the trunk gasket surface... Or am I just not seeing it right?

Not sure what you're referring to as "trunk gasket surface" but yeah, I may have. Looks cleaner and what was left wasn't helping it structurally anyway.

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not sure what you're referring to as "trunk gasket surface" but yeah, I may have. Looks cleaner and what was left wasn't helping it structurally anyway.

Yes, it does look clean!
I was refering to the part of the hoods underside structure that the front trunk gasket seals agains...

Started my own thread:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/122138.html#p0

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 04-13-2012).]

Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I designed these so that you could leave the gasket surface intact (& not cut out any sheetmetal). I could have made them deeper & longer if not for that.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finished! Fini! Finito! Terminado! Fertig! 完成した!

Paul, lmk if I posted too many pics in your thread. I'll delete upon request. I'm just freakin' excited right now about how awesome my Fiero looks with your hood vent

[This message has been edited by Gokart (edited 04-26-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No Problem.
I've been waiting for finished photos to post on my website.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dayum that looks really good. I think that hood scoop will be one of the mods on my fiero I am picking up this weekend. Sure looks nice and smooth and really matches the lines of the car. Nice job Driver...peace

Pete

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful!!!
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man do I need to get going on mine...
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 04:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No Problem.
I've been waiting for finished photos to post on my website.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

It was mostly cloudy yesterday afternoon so the pics are kind of dark. I'll send you some better ones when the conditions are better for your website. Thanks for the compliments and anyone that likes the way this vent or any of Paul's products look it's not a difficult project. It just takes time and patience. There are plenty of members here that are always willing to help....including Paul. To them I'm extremely grateful
Marc

[This message has been edited by Gokart (edited 04-27-2012).]

Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My electric is probably going to be cut off Mon. or Tues., so I won't be able to answer any emails or PMs for a while after that.
Just wanted to let everyone know in case you tried to contact me & didn't hear back.
EDIT: I have a guy bringing me his airplane for finish fiberglass work. He bumped up his schedule to help me keep my electric on. If the folks there will delay for a couple days I should be OK.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

[This message has been edited by Tha Driver (edited 05-13-2012).]

sergioazevedo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sergioazevedoSend a Private Message to sergioazevedoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how much to ship the stm hood to calgary alberta canada, t2l 1j4 just so i can figure out if its doable in future
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2012 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sergioazevedo:

how much to ship the stm hood to calgary alberta canada, t2l 1j4 just so i can figure out if its doable in future

USPS website says $124. ;-( It's $150 for the hood vent, so a total of $274. Might be cheaper shipping via FedEx, but I have no way of checking that.
But for future reference? The price will probably go up especially if there is anything happening in the middle east.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2012 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tha Driver

4559 posts
Member since Sep 2006

My electric is probably going to be cut off Mon. or Tues., so I won't be able to answer any emails or PMs for a while after that.
Just wanted to let everyone know in case you tried to contact me & didn't hear back.
EDIT: I have a guy bringing me his airplane for finish fiberglass work. He bumped up his schedule to help me keep my electric on. If the folks there will delay for a couple days I should be OK.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

Well the guy got called to the far east today & can't bring the plane. So I guess my electric will be turned off after all. They did give me an extension to Friday.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock