Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC (Page 8)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC by hercimer01
Started on: 05-05-2011 01:13 AM
Replies: 415 (52196 views)
Last post by: hercimer01 on 09-19-2020 11:13 AM
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2012 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
Beautiful car.

A really amazing job of DIY work ! Very, very impressed.

That gorgeous ride just needs some aftermarket wheels and lowering and it will be a complete stunner.

Thank you very much. I will lower it this winter with the one coil cutout method. Wheels and tires depend on money.

They were having a grudge match gamblers shoot out this weekend so the tickets are cut in half so you can't see the other guys time. They got to run all day, I checked in and parked on the test and tune at 12:30, we didn't get to run till 5:30 after a few sprinkles hi the track. This was the only run I was able to get in and the speed didn't even register right. I'm not sure if I can be sure the time is accurate. I was expecting to get in the 13's. I was running 93 octane, I should have put some 100LL avgas in.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 08-12-2012).]

IP: Logged
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2012 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
I was offered 5,700 for it this weekend at the track, not sure what the car is worth.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 08-12-2012).]

Celthora87GT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2012 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Celthora87GTSend a Private Message to Celthora87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hercimer01:

I didn't know it was an 8 rib pulley when I bought it. Do they even make 6? I looked for one and couldn't find one.

They do... ZZP sells the "quick change pulleys"
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2012 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I won 3RD place at Fierorama the non V8 swap class out of ten cars.

IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Came out beautiful indeed, thanks for helping me understand the coolant system.
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2012 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was offered 5,700 for it this weekend at the track, not sure what the car is worth.

Are you considering selling the car? I'd be interested possibly.
fiero67

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 107
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
adding this thread to favorites!
fireojay86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fireojay86Send a Private Message to fireojay86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I missed it but what did you do for the chin spoiler I like the look
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I fused it to the bumper cover, but really it should be removable in case of repairs needed. Tyler's Toy is the way it should look I believe. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/112286.html
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2013 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put my new reprogrammed computer in from ZZP today!

------------------

Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap

88 Coupe under construction

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2013 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
What kind of pillar gauges are people running on their L67 motors?

ZZP recommened Aeroforce Intercepter Scan Gauge but I already have Torque Pro running with blue tooth to my SIII.

I am considering the AEM Wideband Failsafe Gauge, But I kind of like the idea of have dedicated gauges for boost and whatnot. Although this gauge does some really nice data logging.
PFF
System Bot
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2013 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put in a new fuel pump today just to be on the safe side.
EP381 AC Delcco
I had an Airtex cheapy in there before.

Edit 6/24/13; I wired the fuel pump with 14 Ga. wire to a new high capacity relay triggered off of the cars fuel pump relay.
Edit 4/15/15: I had to rewire the actual pump in the tank itself. The connector at the pump burned up. I soldered 14 gauge wire from the lugs on the pump to the wires in the sending unit.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 07-19-2015).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2013 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Put my new reprogrammed computer in from ZZP today!

I think this was a mistake. I did no research to see how their product performs. I told them it was for a Fiero swap with an auto trans, no #2 O2 sensor, EGR delete with a 3.4 pulley and 4" intake with a 3" exhaust.

I got it back with a Purge solenoid/ fuel tank pressure DTC and Oil level in pan DTC. Also >1/2 throttle launch sounds like rocks are in my heads.

I Emailed them and they wanted a mod list, I said it was attached to the ECM with the Pre-Order sheet.
Now they are not responding to Emails.

WTB, DHP Powertuner!
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think this was a mistake. I did no research to see how their product performs. I told them it was for a Fiero swap with an auto trans, no #2 O2 sensor, EGR delete with a 3.4 pulley and 4" intake with a 3" exhaust.

I got it back with a Purge solenoid/ fuel tank pressure DTC and Oil level in pan DTC. Also >1/2 throttle launch sounds like rocks are in my heads.

I Emailed them and they wanted a mod list, I said it was attached to the ECM with the Pre-Order sheet.

WTB, DHP Powertuner!

Sorry about that as ZZP is NOT as good with the Fiero specific programming.
I was wondering why you felt you needed a new PCM as I will gladly update your original.
What other mods did you add? Are you sure it isn't something mechanical that is causing issues, like too much KR due to the smaller pulley.
However, if you have a DHP then you could do it yourself in real time and get max performance.

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Sorry about that as ZZP is NOT as good with the Fiero specific programming.
I was wondering why you felt you needed a new PCM as I will gladly update your original.
What other mods did you add? Are you sure it isn't something mechanical that is causing issues, like too much KR due to the smaller pulley.
However, if you have a DHP then you could do it yourself in real time and get max performance.

Thanks for your help over in the tech section, I'm glad we got that sorted out.
I do kind of want to learn how to Tune the ECM so I am gonna get a PowerTuner.

I had a SnapOn Solus Pro scantoll on it looking at Knock Retard and it stayed at zero when the mystery noise showed up.

I just realized the pulley is a 3.4, I can't remeber what is the smallest i can go for stock.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 05-13-2013).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2013 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

WTB, DHP Powertuner!

Turns out my SC Coupler went bad when i put their new computer in.
They did reply and offered to fix their tune, but they asked if they could see my current computer and how its tuned.
I have two computers.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 05-15-2013).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2013 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
I had a Snapon Solus Pro Scan Tool on it when I was taking off trouble shooting the noise. I was watching knock retard and it showed zero under all conditions.
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2013 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
edit: double post somehow

[This message has been edited by 1fast2m4 (edited 05-28-2013).]

1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2013 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1fast2m4

514 posts
Member since Feb 2013

I didn't know it was an 8 rib pulley when I bought it. Do they even make 6? I looked for one and couldn't find one.

I got the same pulley, but I ordered my straight for intense, they sent me a 8-rib too. it's no big deal, but on mine the two ribs on the battery are unused. I don't think they are bothering to make 6-ribs anymore. since the 8 rib version covers both.

P.S. 3.4" is the smallest your "Supposed" to go on a stock motor, but if you have no KR issues and your monitoring KR you can go smaller. especially if your using race gas to compensate. It's just that if you enjoy driving the car allot you may be more inclined to run a slightly larger pulley on pump gas rather than have a car addicted to race fuel.

But at the end of the day the smallest pulley you can run is the smallest you can run W/O KR.

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96)
1985 GT 3800SC (swap in progress)

[This message has been edited by 1fast2m4 (edited 05-28-2013).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2013 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

WTB, DHP Powertuner!

I went ahead and bought a DHP PowerTuner. I figured out how to read the PCM, disabled the two DTCs they left on it (one was a purge solenoid and the other was the oil level code).and then reflashed the PCM.

They wanted me to send the computer back to them but I didn't feel like messing around with them due to their less than helpful attitude. They did however ask me to come in for a Dyno tune. I doubt it would be for free but it might be worth it I guess.

Now I still have to change the coupler then I can hit the track finally!

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2013 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008

Originally posted by 1fast2m4:

------------------

Linkys?
PFF
System Bot
Kemp3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2013 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kemp3Send a Private Message to Kemp3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if your running 3.4 on a series III SC and not getting any knock it may be worth more ponies to add timing. But you might want to verify your knock sensors are working.

Back when I did my 3800 I learned the same lesson , ZZP iffy when things go wrong. Intense was great for every transaction and most importantly someone answered the phone when you needed to talk to them.
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2013 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Linkys?

yea here is my build thread -->> Biuld thread linky

and here is my drag day thread -->> headed to the drag strip linky

Nothing to special about the car 1986 SE 3800 series 2 out of a 98 Bonneville ssei trans was from the same car and I've never had them separated. Mods are a Intense 3.4" Pulley, ZZP 1.0 PCM, EGR & EVAP delete, NKG TR55 plugs, 3" single exhaust and for track purposes I run a cheapo 3" intake routed directly to the factory opening in the rear 1/4. I'm also running MickeyThompson ET Street drag radials on the stock 14" fiero rims

I really should update my build tread, as soon as i got it running I stopped taking pictures and updating, been having too much fun.
------------------

[This message has been edited by 1fast2m4 (edited 05-30-2013).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2013 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I went ahead and bought a DHP PowerTuner. I figured out how to read the PCM, disabled the two DTCs they left on it (one was a purge solenoid and the other was the oil level code).and then reflashed the PCM.

Now I still have to change the coupler then I can hit the track finally!

I'm still getting a growling noise at WOT from the engine with the BBV tied open and SC pulley clamped still. So its not the supercharger.

I am worried that it could be detonation.
I went through the DTC fault codes enabled and the knock sensors were disabled in the ECM I had ZZP do, is that right?

do I need to bore scope my cylinders?

1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2013 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats just stating that a knock sensor fault does not have the ability to activate the check engine light. not that the PCM in ignoring them.

Mine are "off' as well

[This message has been edited by 1fast2m4 (edited 06-01-2013).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2013 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put in new Accel yellow plug wires.
I deleted the #2 O2 sensor from the ZZP tune.
I did a case relearn, though probably unnecessary.
Ran the hell out of it, and no weird noises! YAY!!!

EDIT;
I spoke too soon. Its back.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 08-12-2013).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just finished putting in the digital cruise control and it actually works! Yay!!

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 06-24-2013).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put 938 miles on it taking down to the 30Th and back. It ran like a charm.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 05-26-2014).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The second one was my best.
I'm running 15 year old BFG radial TA's.
3.4 pulley.
If any one has a suggestion on tuning using the DHP Power Tuner, please help me break into 13 seconds.

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If any one has a suggestion on tuning using the DHP Power Tuner, please help me break into 13 seconds.

Increase shift points, lean out the base AFR, add timing in the lower RPM range.

Also, add a Wideband o2 to insure the AFR is actually what is being commanded,
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not real sure of how to change those but I do want to learn.

For now i'm just doing some basic checks.
Here is my dry compression test.
110PSI highest * 15% = 16.5PSI
110 - 16.5 = 93.5 is lowest allowable compression.
This means they're all within 15% of each other, in other words. Good.

Unless they are all just low. Whats a good range?

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 08-12-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before I decided to rebuild mine , SC from 1997 Riviera I checked it. It had 175,000 Miles on it and had 150 psi all cylinders, Dry. At 95 ibs , it will just about fire. Any engine I have ever worked on, (been a few) you want between 150-175, low comp maybe 135, High compression engines (11-1) about 200.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doing it wet brought them all up 10 PSI each.
I ran into another mechanic and he said the same thing you said.
What were your numbers after you rebuilt it?
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put the car back together. When I did I found the Boost line from the intake manifold to the fuel pressure regulator and the MAP sensor had rotten fittings. So I deleted the BBV, and put all new rubber fittings on the line.

I think that took care of my ailments as far as my times go. The Boost line to the fuel pressure regulator was leaking. I assume that was causing fuel starvation. I can't wait to get it down to the track and try it again!

I'm still not convinced what the cylinder pressure test values should be.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just trying to get into mid 13s. I almost made it to 12!
The boost line to the fuel pressure regulator and MAP sensor was loose!
While I was in there I also deleted the BBV.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 08-23-2013).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
I also got a reply back from intense about the cylinder pressures. It looks like a rebuild down the road.

Allen,
Those numbers are very low; around 130 psi is acceptable but worn and perfect would be over 150 psi. They are, however, very even meaning there is no broken piston rings or blown gaskets etc. The rings are just very worn.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris; Technician, sales rep, & technology information.

INTENSE Racing
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looky what I bought! 17X7

Now I just need to save up for new shoes!

------------------

Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap

88 Coupe under construction

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 08-23-2013).]

GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive got some Motegui FF7s on my 88gt. I like them but I think I am swapping back to my stockers...
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Lady I bought the car from let her teenage son drive this Fiero. That is how the motor is blown at only 49,000 miles. He also bent a rim so it wobbles at 12 miles an hour and 70. I have to swap rims, I do like the lace wheels too.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I won this today on EBay for 75 shipped!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock