Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC by hercimer01
Started on: 05-05-2011 01:13 AM
Replies: 415 (52164 views)
Last post by: hercimer01 on 09-19-2020 11:13 AM
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2011 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hercimer01:

Just thought I would update here. I got hammered by life the last two weeks. My Dad had a stroke so i have been helping him a lot. fortunately it was mild and he just needs to get his plumbing cleaned out. Work slowed to a halt and the heat has just been unreal. I am ready for a test fit on the engine so i can finish the harness and do the cooling/heater lines. I think once I see the engine in the car I will get fired up again. Its also supposed to cool off.

Unexpected things happen. Hope your dad is fine. Getting the engine back in is a milestone I have too. Sure will get you motivated. But still end is not close to move the car for me. Need to install front and front to back brake lines, rebuild calipers, modify suspension, yada yada yada.... It looks maybe by September if all goes very well and you know how that goes restoring old cars
IP: Logged
jwrape

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2011 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just thought I would update here. I got hammered by life the last two weeks. My Dad had a stroke so i have been helping him a lot. fortunately it was mild and he just needs to get his plumbing cleaned out. Work slowed to a halt and the heat has just been unreal. I am ready for a test fit on the engine so i can finish the harness and do the cooling/heater lines. I think once I see the engine in the car I will get fired up again. Its also supposed to cool off.

Glad to hear your Dad is doing better. Sorry he had to go through that.

I know once I saw that motor sitting on the cradle I would be getting excited about the power in that little car. It would be so much fun to drive,.

------------------
86 Fiero 2M4 Silver, and 86 GT

hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2011 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

It looks maybe by September if all goes very well and you know how that goes restoring old cars

Thanks guys for the encouragement.
This is my goal deadline;

Fierorama 2011 -St. Charles, IL: On Sunday, September 11th, 2011 join your fellow Fiero Enthusiasts from near and far for our annual Fierorama. This year's event is being held at the Holiday Inn Express located in St. Charles, Illinois. St. Charles is located in the Fox Valley area about 35 miles West of Chicago. It is easily accessible via several local roadways including Rt.64 (North Avenue), Rt.25, or Rt.31, all with easy connections from I-88, and I-90. The Holiday Inn is also our host hotel and is located at 1600 E. Main Street (Route 64) at the intersection of Tyler Road.
For more information on the weekends events and show information please visit the Fierorama page.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been working on it. Heres the low budget part, my wallet. Ive updated the needs list on page 3. I put the belts on today.

My fuel pump/sender is done. I washed out the fuel tank and its ready to install. the cabin is ready to go back together. PCM tune is in the works. I still need an exhaust system. I plan on the Flo-tech Afterburner.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well my formula just sprung a coolant leak. At first I thought it was just the pump seal, but after looking at it closer it looks might be the timing cover seal under the water pump. Its obvious where its leaking from, defiantly a seal. Wow, more work. Oh and while i was in there i found the AC belt had almost sawed through the lower coolant hose also.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My PCM is on the way. Nosrac had some on the shelf ready to go for a good price. I put my interior back together with a used Alpine deck. I sprayed the cabin floors and the rear firewall with Permatex undercoating and added a little of that blue sound proofing to just the rear firewall on the inside.

Edit; The cradle will be going in tomorrow for a test fit and to finish up the wiring.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 08-17-2011).]

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My PCM is on the way. Nosrac had some on the shelf ready to go for a good price. I put my interior back together with a used Alpine deck. I sprayed the cabin floors and the rear firewall with Permatex undercoating and added a little of that blue sound proofing to just the rear firewall on the inside.

Edit; The cradle will be going in tomorrow for a test fit and to finish up the wiring.

Dammit...I sent you a Manual tuned PCM....Doh
I don't know what I am thinking lately. I will have to send another off today. I will PM you with the details.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, sorry for the confusion Terrance. Im doing an auto into a 4 speed car. I have been just saying that because I wasn't sure what it takes for the conversion. PM sent.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nosrac, The manual PCM has been returned.

Edit: I received the Auto one.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 08-21-2011).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2011 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fitting in car to finish up.

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2011 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
Think I can Git Er Done by Sept.11 FieroRama?
PFF
System Bot
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2011 03:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found a computer holder from a 2002 S-10. I cut off the mounting tabs and just screwed it through into the existing tinerman clips.

I mounted it so the plugs are facing down like the old one.

The cooling fins will have to be trimmed a bit.Edit: I cut the back of the console out instead.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 08-26-2011).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2011 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well i have the PCM wired up and the C203 connector done except for the VSS. I ran the green wire from C1-55 down by the C203 to interface through the diode and cap. It gets hooked to G On C203. What gets done with C203 H?

I still have the C500 left to hook up.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2011 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
C203 H - VSS signal from the speedometer to the ECM - not used on a 3800

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 08-26-2011).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2011 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks phonedawgs! Do you know where C203-H comes out behind the dash? I would like to use it for the Perf Shift wire.

I decided it would just be easier to cut the back of the console out. Maybe it will help keep it cooler too. I removed the steel rod from the mounting tray also. The tray holds the computer just fine with out it. The green tape is only temporary holding the bundles together. I will dress the wire harness after im done wiring.

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2011 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
I have the oil pressure center pin wire connected to the gauge C203-E. where do the other two wires Go? (pressure switch wires) One to the Eng Block Gnd and the other to the Fuel Pump relay? Does the pressure sender need voltage to work?

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2011 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The two outside wires - one Orange/Black and one Tan/White hook up to C203 B, and C203 L.

Yes those two wires also run to the fuel pump relay.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2011 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is how I wired my fuel pump relay. C203 B and L doesn't make any sense.

Could you Edit maybe with "paint" or explain?

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 08-27-2011).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2011 03:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
It Closes with oil pressure to keep the fuel pump running? Does the Fuel pump control line shut down at some point?

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 08-27-2011).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2011 05:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep - wired like that.

Nope - both switches (oil pressure and ECM controlled relay) normally stay on during the entire time the engine is running.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the tach signal ICM white wire paralleled to the PCM C1-54 and C500-C3?
PFF
System Bot
88RedFormula

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 05:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88RedFormulaSend a Private Message to 88RedFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just out of curiosity, is that second cable north of the shift cable the throttle cable?
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes it is the throttle cable. And the line to the south is the Brake Booster line.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
The wiring is 99% done. Just need to ring out a few lines. I put the data link connector in the stock location.That was a booger taking the firewall feed through apart so I could run the harness through it.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 08-28-2011).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
Now I need to hook up cooling, heater core, fuel lines, assemble the axles, install an auto radiator with tranny cooling lines, and make an exhaust. The body work wont be done for the show but at least it will be running. I'm thinking about taking it with all the body panels off.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
I got the new battery tray welded in this morning.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is the tach signal ICM white wire paralleled to the PCM C1-54 and C500-C3?

NO

Only the white wire on pin E of the ICM connector gets connected to C500-C3. The PCM pin on C1-54 doesn't get connected to anything.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 08-28-2011).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the old C500 alternator cable supposed to be hooked up? the alternator is now hooked up from the starter. Does that junction block need more juice than what the battery cable fusible link can supply?
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
I did parallel the tach signal to PCM and C500 from the ICM. we're typing at the same time. I will disconnect the ICM tach feed to the PCM. thanks

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's best to have the cable from the alternator run to the power distribution block. You should use the fusible link end at the power distribution block. Cut shorter the alternator end and put a ring connector on it.

The starter connection is in a less wire friendly place. Using that bolt down there to make electrical connections can lead to problems down the road.

The alternator cable from your 3800 is larger because the 3800 alternators can put out quite a bit more amperage. The fusible link belongs at the 'battery' end of the cable. Electrically using the starter bolt is about the same. GM did that in '84, but quit in '85. Many 84 owners have had problems with that connection and/or fusible links coming loose after baking and vibrating next to the engine and causing them problems.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 08-28-2011).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

It's best to have the cable from the alternator run to the power distribution block. You should use the fusible link end at the power distribution block. Cut shorter the alternator end and put a ring connector on it.

The starter connection is in a less wire friendly place. Using that bolt down there to make electrical connections can lead to problems down the road.

I was afraid of the the load on the starter bolt, although that is stock for the GTP, ( I think ). I will change that also.

PFF
System Bot
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
Back to work................
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008

Originally posted by sportcoupe:

The coil pack does fit there if you turn it 90 deg. and remove the decklid springs (mine hit the SC anyway).

I will try to do this so i can use my old plug wires.

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put in an automatic radiator with new lines to the back last night. I also patched my fuel tank where the straps hold it up with fuel tank sealant. It had a pin hole in it. Then I gave it a coat of POR-15, it looks brand new. My cable modem is down so no pics for now.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 08-30-2011).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2011 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the fuel tank, pump and filter in tonight. So
close and yet so far.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2011 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fuel lines are done. The throttle cable is connected. The shifter cable bracket is modified and the cable is installed and adjusted. Spark plug are in. Now i have to figure out where im putting the ICM. The cooling plumbing will be next. Still have to do axles and exhaust.

Edit: got the muffler ordered and it will be here Sat. Got he exhaust tubing ordered it will be here Tues.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 09-02-2011).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2011 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sold my 4 speed out of the GT and the steering column out of the GTP!!! Now i have enough money to get it running.

I ordered the Flotech Afterburner 5036FLT http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BIG-50363FLT/
I ordered 3- 3" 90 degree bends, A 3" X 8" Flex joint, and 2- 2.5" 90 pipes that come out of the muffler, I have the flange.

I also found a 1.5" X .75" brass tee for the heater core return http://www.jagsthatrun.com/...-TBI_Brass-Tees.html

A friend of mine had this laying around.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2011 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
I have a set of automatic axles and a set of manual axles and the 1998 4t65EHD tulips with the 1998 GTP axles. I have read a ton of threads and am more confused than when i started. I am not looking for the "definitive answer" Just what worked for you with the fieroX motor mounts. Whats your setup?

Will this work?
4t65ehd driver side = Fiero DRVR side auto & 98 GTP tripot. (From what I understand plug and play?)
4t65ehd pass side = Fiero Outer CV,GTP Drv side Axle( only the axle bar) & 98 GTP tripot?

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 09-03-2011).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2011 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How the heck do you check the oil level with the dip stick against the firewall !!!???
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock