Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC by hercimer01
Started on: 05-05-2011 01:13 AM
Replies: 415 (52193 views)
Last post by: hercimer01 on 09-19-2020 11:13 AM
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2011 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2011 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm gonna try to start it today.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 05-21-2012).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2011 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
No luck starting it today.
I still need the coolant tee for the passenger side so hook up the heater core return to the main line. I hasn't come in yet.
I still have to change the trans fluid filter and fill it.
I still have to pull the Tach wire at the PCM, I guess it goes only the the Tach.
It still doesn't have an exhaust but I still want to start it at least with out it. That should be here tomorrow.
Oh and make the axles.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2011 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yay!! This ones a little big, but it worked . Next time get the next size down on the Main hoses.

http://jagsthatrun.com/Page...-TBI_Brass-Tees.html

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 10-29-2014).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2011 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
It's like Christmas in September!!!!

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2011 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They say the Devil is in the details. So true. Sometimes you think you are so close when in reality all these little things keep delaying you. At least is my case. Keep on!
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2011 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried to start it and it wont turn over. It used to be a manual car and the trans is an auto. I put the starter control in C500 E2. Any one?
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2011 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As it turns out the Gear selection is backwards from a TH125C and a 4T60. A special bracket has to be made. I'm just gonna run it for now with the shift selector operating backwards. I was trying to start it in 1st.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2011 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
: Its Alive!!

Edit: No Exhaust Yet.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 12-23-2011).]

jwrape

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2011 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hercimer01:

: Its Alive!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQRpsYvvjdg

Edit: No Exhaust Yet.

That's cool > Excited for you. Can't wait till I can do that. Congrats

------------------
Car Threads
86 Fiero 2M4 Silver https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/115701.html
and 86 GT
]https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/085541.html

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2011 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yaaay..!

Now just wait until you get a chance to put your foot into it.

I'm gona go drive my car right now...lol
PFF
System Bot
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2011 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A+ Rating for you nosrac thanks for the computer!
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2011 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A+ Rating for you nosrac thanks for the computer!

No problem, Let me know how well it drives. If you can get a scanner to monitor fuel trims, KR, etc. I can better tune your car for max MPG, and/or performance or if you add any performance goodies such as IC, or N* TB.

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2011 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found that i need to move the motor mounts to the passenger side 1/2' to make the axles equal length. This would allow two 86 4 speed drivers side axle shafts and outer CV to be plug and play into the 4T65EHD tulips. Does that sound right?
this is my pulley clearance to the hood as it is, almost even. Whats yours?

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 09-09-2011).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2011 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been defeated. I wont have the car ready for Fierorama. The axles have kicked my butt.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2011 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
I'm trying to engineer the axle setup needed for this swap. I figured there's so many people doing the swap that it would already be figured out. So many axle posts are really vague, misleading or over complicated. Keep in mind this is for the every day swap. Modding, you're on your own.
My point is that the geometry is the same regardless of how up or down the motor / trans is mounted or suspension for that matter. With the trans centered between the hubs the longest allowable axle length would be determined by the hubs at level with the tripots. Centering the trans would establish two identical axles needed for both sides. I still have to prove it but it looks like 2 manual drivers side axles with the 4T65EHD tripots would work.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 09-09-2011).]

jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2011 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm trying to engineer the axle setup needed for this swap. I figured there's so many people doing the swap that it would already be figured out. So many axle posts are really vague, misleading or over complicated.
My point is that the geometry is the same regardless of how up or down the motor / trans is mounted or suspension for that matter. With the trans centered between the hubs the longest allowable axle length would be determined by the hubs at level with the tripots. Centering the trans would establish two identical axles needed for both sides. I still have to prove it but it looks like 2 manual drivers side axles with the 4T65EHD tripots would work.

looking forward to the answer you engineer up for when i do it
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2011 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2 Fiero Manual Driver Side axles will work when i center up Tripots to the hubs. it has to move to the passenger side 1/2". (Fiero manual driver side axles are the same length and make up as Beretta and Cavalier driver side axles , I THINK, I STILL HAVE TO CHECK IT OUT.)

Edit; With the (GTP) Tripots centered that leaves 3/4" clearance in the bottom of the (GTP} tripots with a Fiero driver side manual axle on each side. FYI a 91 Caddy Deville driver side inner axle (2.5" between the boots.) is 14.5" just like the Fiero manual driver side inner axle and can be used to build a correct length axle.

The position of the engine at this point will not allow the GTP stock dogbone brace to line up, Youll have to make a left side brace like the WCF brace or order theirs.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 09-25-2011).]

RumbleB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2011 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RumbleBSend a Private Message to RumbleBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I noticed that your fuel rail is in the stock position. Why not flip it around so the fuel hoses are not hanging over your serpentine belt. Just thinking safety.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2011 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried but the hold downs for the fuel rail are in different locations when you swap it around. How would you anchor it down?
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2011 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I moved the motor and trans to the passenger side 1/2" The trans is now centered between the hubs. This allows for 2 driver side manual axles to fit between the hubs. 3/4" is left in the bottom of the tulips at full compression. with the struts fully extended there is no binding in the tulips.
PFF
System Bot
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2011 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I now cannot use the stock dogbone I had fitted with the idler pulley. Im gonna fab something out of steel.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2011 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It aint pretty but its done, my first time mig welding, not bad if I do say so my self.

Its a true 3" exhaust with 2.5" out of the Flowtech Afterburner muffler. I tried to leave room for a Inter-cooler eventually. Thats why I decided to cut the trunk out.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a sound clip.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 12-23-2011).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
I noticed that my speedo is stuck on 120MPH. (even with the key off.) I did this for the speedo mod. Edit; I did a search for "stuck on 120" and it apears to a common problem and fixes itself with driving. I have no idea how long this car has been laid up, I bought it as a non runner.

And I have no Tach reading. Im pretty sure i hooked the ICM white wire t o C500 C3.

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
The cooling temp, voltage, gas and oil pressure gauges all work.

Edit; I didn't remove the clutch switch, you have to push the clutch pedal in to start it. Is there anything i have to change in the car wiring?

hogrunr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hogrunrSend a Private Message to hogrunrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i'll be interested in seeing what the final price is on the engine swop. the engine looks great and the car looks to be in great shape too. keep the pictures coming great job. thanks glbottoms
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It aint pretty but its done, my first time mig welding, not bad if I do say so my self.

Its a true 3" exhaust with 2.5" out of the Flowtech Afterburner muffler. I tried to leave room for a Inter-cooler eventually. Thats why I decided to cut the trunk out.

That's a pretty darn nice system. I need to build one like that but without cutting the trunk. Also not still sure if I will keep the trumpets.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The muffler was 65.00 plus shipping. The 3-3" elbows, flex joint, and 2-2.5" X12" 90deg bends were $140.00. I am keep a tally on the costs and will write some thing up when i get it on the road. Thanks guys.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The cooling temp, voltage, gas and oil pressure gauges all work.

Edit; I didn't remove the clutch switch, you have to push the clutch pedal in to start it. Is there anything i have to change in the car wiring?

At the clutch pedal - the weird switch with the long thing that slides through it - there is a fat purple wire and a fat yellow wire on it. Connect the two.

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009

I noticed that my speedo is stuck on 120MPH. (even with the key off.) I did this for the speedo mod. Edit; I did a search for "stuck on 120" and it apears to a common problem and fixes itself with driving. I have no idea how long this car has been laid up, I bought it as a non runner.

And I have no Tach reading. Im pretty sure i hooked the ICM white wire t o C500 C3.

Do the tach / speedo twitch/move at all when you turn the key on? If not, perhaps you have no power to the dash gauges. If the speedo is twitching/moving at all you can manually push the needle back to the middle of it's movement and see what happens.

Also I have pre-made speedo buffers for sale here
http://reddevilriver.com/Page_4.html

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-25-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2011 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found the Tach problem. There are two white wires int the ICM connector, pin A and E. I ran pin A into the C500 C3. A is the ignition control and I was also getting an intermittent P1351 DTC which explains that. Pin E is probably C1-54 which I had removed from the connector before I started the car because some how i thought was paralled in with C500 C3. Brain fart. I completely wired the car in two all nighters. so far thats the only mistake i've found.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2011 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I got the Tach working and the P1351 (ignition control circuit high voltage) code straightened out. I ran the ignition control wire, ICM pin A, to, C500 C-3 (Tach input). I reconnected it to C1-54. I have no idea what i did with the Tach wire so I just ran a new one from ICM pin E , to, C500 C-3. All better now.

I still have to repack the axles with new grease and put the brakes on. I bought Grand Am calipers and rotors for the rear. Eventually I will do the S-10 booster upgrade. I think its almost ready to run besides putting the body panels back on. I probably won't though since its so late in the season, I can paint it this winter.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2011 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally put the axles together and in the car last night, what a stinky mess. I think I have a hangover from all the solvent. I'm gonna try to get the brakes on it this weekend and maybe take it around the block with the body off for a test run before I lay it up for the winter.

My Formula blew a timing cover/water pump gasket so I've been trying to get that back together too. I almost spent my self into the poor house getting the GT running.

Once I get it out for a test drive and actually motorvating under its own power, then I will do the cost analysis and post it. I think I did OK but then there was a lot of little stuff here and there.
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2011 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I tried but the hold downs for the fuel rail are in different locations when you swap it around. How would you anchor it down?

I don't know about turning it around, but I cut that little center bracket so that I could use a pipe bender to point my lines towards the firewall of the car like this. Hope to get it in the car this weekend.

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel

[This message has been edited by MulletproofMonk (edited 06-19-2013).]

fiero al

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2011 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero alSend a Private Message to fiero alEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
very cool build so far. hope my build turns out as well as yours is going.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2011 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! I was hoping to be done by now. I ran into Murphys' Law lately. My air compressor crapped out. But I did come across a 60 gal. Ingersoll if I can get it for the right price. It is next to new. I'll need a good one for the paint.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2011 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man I love craigslist, $200.00 cash. Now i'm back in business.
Edit: Ingersoll Rand had really crappy reviews, Campbell Hausefeld had good reviews. Its a 6HP single stroke.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 10-09-2011).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2011 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
Grand Am brake upgrade, priceless.

I made this Dog Bone mount. Is that better DarkHorizon? I still have to grind and paint it. I will change the bushings too.

fiero al

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2011 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero alSend a Private Message to fiero alEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like were you put the dog bone. I think i might do something like this on mine since I'm keeping the alt on top for now.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock