Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC by hercimer01
Started on: 05-05-2011 01:13 AM
Replies: 415 (52194 views)
Last post by: hercimer01 on 09-19-2020 11:13 AM
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My poly bushings were ordered last tuesday, they received my money and sent me an order number. I have emailed them once on the status they replied and said thet were waitning to receive them, I guess red is a special order. Im getting irritated and cant get a hold of them. http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/ anyone delt with them before?
IP: Logged
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
POR-15

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well. My new bushings have not come in yet. I cleaned up the oil pan Gasket. Next I will clean up the front of the motor and get the motor mounts painted. What are the sensors for on each side of the block under the heads?

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 06-16-2011).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
JamesCurtis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
those would be the knock sensors
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A friend of mine GAVE this to me today! This is a $500 paint gun. 2 coats of urethane black and 3 coats of clear, shes gonna look sweet.

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
My cradle bushings finally shipped out this morning, so i started scrubbing the trans today, man what a mess. The lower control arm bushings are on back order for at least another week.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2011 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still haven't gotten my cradle bushings, I got tired of waiting so i did this today. I still have to match drill the motor mounts to the frame. I decided to delete the EGR also.

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2011 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Painting engine parts......who does that

Looks good, you will make all the V8 people out there jealous

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally got my cradle bushings today, still waiting on the control arm bushings.

Here are some pics of the fieroX mounts.

PFF
System Bot
1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those are the best pictures I've seen of 3800 mounts. Thanks! I never knew the front mount was only attached to the right side of the block.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No problem.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did the Ignition coil this afternoon.

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
I am assuming this will clear the hinge and decklid. Right? Has anyone done this ?
Edit Or does it have to go on show side fromthe rear of the car.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 06-24-2011).]

JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do believe that will hit the hinge. It's not too difficult to relocate it by the battery tray or by the trunk.

------------------

RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hercimer01:

I did the Ignition coil this afternoon.

for sure it will hit the part the trunk hindges mount to i had the same issue so i mover the ICM to the trunk wall you will have to extend the wireing as well trust me dont try to use stock ICM location i wont work it to tight and a ***** if you ever had to change a coil or modual,
I was even thinking of putting the coil pack inside the trunk pop a hole throught with a rubber gromet for your wireing and plug wires you will need aftermarket wires to do this ( longer ones)
sportcoupe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2011 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sportcoupeSend a Private Message to sportcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He may have to loose the decklid spring but it shouldn't hit the hinge itself. The spring may have to go anyway since they sometimes hit the supercharger. Mine did.

I have my coil packs mounted it the same spot as the OP except I turned my on their side for more room and easier access for the connections. I'll get a picture later today.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not going to work....You have to mount the coils else where...Best place is the battery tray and move the battery to the front.....
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
PFF
System Bot
sportcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sportcoupeSend a Private Message to sportcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The coil pack does fit there if you turn it 90 deg. and remove the decklid springs (mine hit the SC anyway).

JumpStart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JumpStartSend a Private Message to JumpStartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine hit also but I did not want to move the battery up front so I mounted mine on the firewall, right behind the driver seat, between the mount for the decklid hinge and the hole in the firewall for the wiring harness going to the ECM.

Steve
Garrettpen98

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Garrettpen98Send a Private Message to Garrettpen98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oreillys will not price match online stores or Wal-Mart.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Guys. I think I will try to keep it in the same location, Trying to keep it "Lo Budget" here.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
I mocked up my alternator and idler pulley today. The idler is the one from the super charger belt with a smaller diameter pulley from a 2000 Trailblazer. The dogbone bracket was milled down to the flat surface and the idler bracket will be about 5/8" thick welded to the dogbone bracket. The alternator will probably changed to a 1/4" aluminum plate with an extra mounting hole. Once I get the final product done i will post drawings with measurements. Im still revising so this could change.

Edit; Progress. Idler bracket done but still needs to welded. I will post drawings later.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 06-27-2011).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I borrowed a 3/4" NPT tap. I plan to put aluminum fittings in the two antifreeze lines. I dont know will they have to be straight or 90 degrees?

Edit; Sorry, I was being lazy. I went out and looked at it and they will have to be 90 degree elbows. I had to hog out the manifold hole. It looks like i will have to take the LIM back off to install it.

Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hercimer,
Just wanted to get in here and say what a nice job you are doing on your build. REALLY like that roll around engine cradle cart you made, care to share the specifics or better yet a drawing of it. I would love to have something like that when I start my build, I HATE crawling around on the floor to work on stuff and that looks like it puts things where you need them. Nice touch and again nice work. Having ridden in a 3800sc and having gotten to drive it I think it is safe to say you will NOT be disappointed. Makes for a very quick and responsive car. Too fun!! peace

Pete

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Pete. The dolly is from Europe's site.I still havent put the cradle bolts int yet though.
http://www.fieros.eu/?type=diy&page=41&lng=en

Edit; This should help too.

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2011 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think i got ahead of myself by taping out the heater hose attach holes. I can make the LIM work, but the timing cover will probably have to be replaced or welded. I have a friend who welds aluminum so im lucky there.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2011 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
I FINALLY GOT MY LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS TODAY!!!!

PFF
System Bot
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok. Ive researched the cooling system. Ive come up with two alternatives. #1 with a modified T-stat housing = more money. Or #2 3800 stock T-stat housing. I will probably go with the stock housing for now. Later, after i get her up and running and more money, Ill start modding. Here's some diagrams i came up with help from darkhorizons drawings and bmwgurus help.

#1 with modded housing

#2 w/o modded housing
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks Guys. I think I will try to keep it in the same location, Trying to keep it "Lo Budget" here.

Relocating the ECM is a simple matter of extending wires, unless you're worried about more expensive spark plug cables, it doesn't affect your budget much at all. If you do try to keep it in the stock location and rotate it 90*, I'd like to see how it turns out! Keep up the good work!
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2011 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like i was right after all. Here are the fittings, the plug was 5.50 and the hose fitting was from a friends junk box. I will have to add a filler tee at the 3800 stock thermostat cover and and tee somewhere on the passenger side for a return of the heater system.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 07-04-2011).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2011 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fatcat:

Those are the best pictures I've seen of 3800 mounts. Thanks! I never knew the front mount was only attached to the right side of the block.

yea, and its crap. I would always suggest another style mount than that... at least something that offered some rotational resistance... that mount is doing nothing more than holding the motor off the ground...
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

yea, and its crap. I would always suggest another style mount than that... at least something that offered some rotational resistance... that mount is doing nothing more than holding the motor off the ground...

Is that not what the dogbone is for? These are a far cry better than west coast fieros in the gauge thickness of the steel and bolt grades.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is that not what the dogbone is for? These are a far cry better than west coast fieros in the gauge thickness of the steel and bolt grades.

The BEST dogbones I see are complicated... and get in the way of quite a few things. It is very hard to get a hold of any type of steel when making a dogbone in the factory fiero location.... When making lower mounts you have many options to go to factory holes using very limited amounts of fabrication and material..
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2011 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is what I ended up going with.

The idler mount and and brace are off to get welded. Now its time for the harness. I unwrapped all the loom and tape from it today. I plugged all the connectors into the motor first and labeled them.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 05-27-2012).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2011 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Move the MAP and EVAP purge solenoid to a location on the transmission.

No need to leave those warts on the top of the engine.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The harness was just laying on there so i could strip it, thanks any way. I still have to plug the top vacuum hole. The vacuum fitting there is for the Brake Booster and EVAP, How is the Evap supposed to be plumed in? I know The code will be deleted from the ECM but I want it to operate. I plumbed the boost line on the LIM to the fuel regulator to the MAP and the BBV. Is the fuel regulator supposed to be in the Vac or Boost line?

Its hard to believe that the harness will fit into a little box when you are done.

EDIT to add this diagram of Mike Gonzales that I used to wire the car with.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 05-07-2013).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock