Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Designing a new dash need a few ideas (Page 27)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 27 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Designing a new dash need a few ideas by OH10fiero
Started on: 11-01-2002 11:37 AM
Replies: 1071 (131317 views)
Last post by: rbell2915 on 02-08-2021 09:01 PM
jreigner

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jreignerSend a Private Message to jreignerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am about done with my firebird swap and have enjoyed this thread. I used a 99 interior, got a 93 cluster and eventually got speedhut gauges after dealing with the oem gauges. That being said, and maybe I missed this in the 26 pages of this topic, but I found that using a grand am temp control dial was a direct swap from fiero to firebird control. It uses a rotary screw type dial to bring the cable in and out rather than left to right. I did have to whittle it down a little to get the dial post out enough but it is a direct fit. Even the tab to secure the cable sleeve to the slider is a direct fit. I could post pics if you want. Other than that great job on paving the way and creating a great foundation on what is an excellent idea!

Edited when I realized I own page 27, oh yeah.

[This message has been edited by jreigner (edited 04-22-2011).]

IP: Logged
1986GTV8

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2011 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pictures, of course we always want to see pictures.

Thanks for posting all of your efforts!
nightonfire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2011 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sharkman, did you use special leds, or were they led replacements for the OEM bulb #'s, do you have pics of when you had the gauge opened up??

Originally posted by Sharkman:

A picture from summer 2010, gauge overlay mounted. With blue LEDs and silver painted needles.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2011 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Here is my headlight wiring...since the time that I did my car PBJ informed me that the "B" pin can replace the relay and connect direclty to the White wire on the Fiero "F". The "B" pin does not normally have a wire going to it on the Firebird connector, you have to add one. Prior to that I used a relay.

I have updated this table to reflect the relay-less connection that I am now using.

Update on the headlight switch... I forgot who I was talking to in another thread, but they took the liberty of updating the first drawing to reflect the configuration without the relay. I just realized today that there are TWO errors in the revised drawing. So please either use the original with the relay or use THIS one.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2011 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001

Originally posted by jreigner:

I am about done with my firebird swap and have enjoyed this thread. I used a 99 interior, got a 93 cluster and eventually got speedhut gauges after dealing with the oem gauges. That being said, and maybe I missed this in the 26 pages of this topic, but I found that using a grand am temp control dial was a direct swap from fiero to firebird control. It uses a rotary screw type dial to bring the cable in and out rather than left to right. I did have to whittle it down a little to get the dial post out enough but it is a direct fit. Even the tab to secure the cable sleeve to the slider is a direct fit. I could post pics if you want. Other than that great job on paving the way and creating a great foundation on what is an excellent idea!

Edited when I realized I own page 27, oh yeah.

I've been asked multiple times for a Firebird HVAC solution and I never progressed beyond the prototype in my car. A couple of other have done it as well, (Mickey Moose has a two motor electric unit which is really slick).

But I've yest to see a Grand am temp control. Please post pics of that and how you did it.
Boogaloo

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it this one 88 to 91
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boogaloo:

Is it this one 88 to 91

ok thanks. This is another option for people that want something newer.
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2011 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do I need to have the ECU/computer to run the speedo, or just the speedo board out of my 86 GT?

A little confused on this part.Does the VSS from the trans go to the speedometer board & if so where? Then if it is how do I send that divid by2 to the fire bird speedo?

I wish that there was a plug & play for this swap.

[This message has been edited by 1986GTV8 (edited 06-13-2011).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1986GTV8:

Do I need to have the ECU/computer to run the speedo, or just the speedo board out of my 86 GT?

A little confused on this part.Does the VSS from the trans go to the speedometer board & if so where? Then if it is how do I send that divid by2 to the fire bird speedo?

I wish that there was a plug & play for this swap.

email me for details...there is a plug and play solution.

the ECU/computer is not needed to run the speedo. However, the speedo buffer is needed to send a VSS signal to the ECU because that's where the divide by two circuit is. Without the VSS in the ECU you will get a code and it will affect your drive-ability. What I do is cannibalize a speed buffer from the Fiero speedometer to use in the Firebird swap.
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
email me for details...there is a plug and play solution.

Sending e-mail shortly.

[This message has been edited by 1986GTV8 (edited 06-15-2011).]

rickjames8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2011 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rickjames8Click Here to visit rickjames8's HomePageSend a Private Message to rickjames8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome thread!! I have been a kit car fan for years (he says as he ducks) but mostly interested in the 70's VW based models (as the mob quiets down). I've always been amazed that people spend anywhere from $50,000 to $80,000 to build a diablo replica on a fiero chassis, install a V8 and then leave in the stock heater controls. Sorry, but a diablo interior does not look like an interior from a 2001 car when it has heater controls from a 1984 GM car. Yet you guys tackled that issue in your firebird dash install. kudos!!! You should get a handful of controls, modify them to work with Fiero heat+ac and start selling them for big bucks to the kit car community.

FWIW, your thread made me check ebay to see prices and came across this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...&hash=item2a118f4994
An entire 1997 Firebird with no bids yet with 2 days left - starts at $600. Some interior panels look damaged, but nothing a bit of fiberglass work couldnt fix.
PFF
System Bot
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2011 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Silly fuel gauge question for the Firebird cluster.

Could I just use the one from the Fiero & mount it upside down (the needle goes the wrong way if mounted as in the Fiero)??? Well that won't work unless I can spin the gauge 180, duh...

My cluster is from a 98.

I just finished cutting the tach from the fiero for my HEI, and am slicing up the fiero console now.

I am not going to cut the "plastic" that has the traces in it, just the (2) snap in parts for the C2 & 3 harness.

I figured I would ask before I ruin something on the firebird cluster.

THANKS!

John

[This message has been edited by 1986GTV8 (edited 07-14-2011).]

1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2011 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

the ECU/computer is not needed to run the speedo. However, the speedo buffer is needed to send a VSS signal to the ECU because that's where the divide by two circuit is. Without the VSS in the ECU you will get a code and it will affect your drive-ability. What I do is cannibalize a speed buffer from the Fiero speedometer to use in the Firebird swap.

Confused. I do not need the ECU if I use the 1998 Fiero speedometer since the 2000ppm are on that pc board? Mine is from an 86 which I believe I need to be on the 4th pin down for the 400ppm & the last pin on the bottom of the speedo is the 2000ppm, correct?

Quoted below is from earlier on about your plug & play stat.

Also this harness requires that an entire set of Fiero gauges be cannibalized to provide the connectors and more importantly the speedometer circuit board that has the divide by two circuit on it. I am also using an 88 speedometer board that has the buffered 4000 pulse per mile square wave. I haven't done it any other way, and I have heard of problems if you attempt to drive the Firebird speedometer directly from the VSS 4000 ppm sine wave.
Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2011 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

email me for details...

I am doing a 98 cluster from a Camaro but some of the wire colors are different like the tach wire it is not as stated "white" can you help?.

laythrom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for laythromClick Here to visit laythrom's HomePageSend a Private Message to laythromEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, this may have been covered already but I don't remember coming across it; I also know it's a Fiero forum and not a camaro one, but I've noticed that you guys on here know your stuff. I'm trying to dig up some info on the 93-96 camaro gauge cluster; specifically whether or not it is cable driven or electronic; if it's electronic, that is the pulse input into the cluster (is it 8K or 16 pulse or what); and does anyone have the wiring color code/pin out for the cluster?

Much appreciated.
War Hammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for War HammerSend a Private Message to War HammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try JSCOTT1. He makes converter boxes that make the installation plug and play. He knows everything about them. The guages are electronic btw.

Paul

------------------
1988 Fiero
3800SC Series 1 w/5spd Getrag
Lowering Springs
Konis
18's w/Pirellis
Corvette Dash Mod
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000099.html

1985 GT
1986 Notchie
1987 Notchie

1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2011 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
EL bump.
Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2011 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The above mentioned ac control pictured above will not work as mentioned althougn some plug do fit the doors will not work as the panel is for a vacuum operated system,will the posted post a pic or make the necessary statement.
jaredmurray88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2011 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey where did you get that cup holder assy from man thats a friggin awesome idea!
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice to see this thread is still alive. You guys are doing some fantastic work. I really like the new door panel designs. Keep the great ideas flowing.

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023174.html

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 20th Anniversary Show @ Pontiac, Mich - 7/2003
Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 8th Annual Fiero Fun Weekend @ Daytona - 3/2004
Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 9th Annual Fiero Fun Weekend @ Daytona - 3/2005

85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Roy
Wow.... long time that I did not see you post.
I was not sure if you were still around the forum.
I hope everything is going well,
I miss your build treads

PFF
System Bot
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2011 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah. I'm still around. Just not very much. Life has gotten in the way of almost all my car stuff. I still have the 87 GT with the F-bird interior but it doesn't see the road too often. It's getting a new battery for Christmas so I hope to have it out a little bit more. I pop in here from time to time but I don't have the time to keep up on all the great projects and builds that I see. Seems like there is a new one going on every time I stop in.

Best wishes to all and Merry Christmas.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2012 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mrfixit58:

Nice to see this thread is still alive. You guys are doing some fantastic work. I really like the new door panel designs. Keep the great ideas flowing.

Your link to the interior build thread isn't working. Any other places where it can be seen? I'm looking at doing the firebird mods too and would like to see the process so I know what to start collecting.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:
Your link to the interior build thread isn't working. Any other places where it can be seen? I'm looking at doing the firebird mods too and would like to see the process so I know what to start collecting.

Actually his link does work...but in fact it links to the thread that you are currently reading.

At some point (09-20-2010 in fact) the original thread was archived and the active thread moved to the Construction Zone. So if you follow Roy's link you eventually end right back here.

Like Roy life got in my way and my Fiero project languished, but I have a plug and play harness under construction for a customer and one other thinking about it. Now that production is starting up it would be a good time to get one if you are on the fence.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2012 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Actually his link does work...but in fact it links to the thread that you are currently reading.

At some point (09-20-2010 in fact) the original thread was archived and the active thread moved to the Construction Zone. So if you follow Roy's link you eventually end right back here.

Like Roy life got in my way and my Fiero project languished, but I have a plug and play harness under construction for a customer and one other thinking about it. Now that production is starting up it would be a good time to get one if you are on the fence.

PM Sent
UK86GT4.9

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2012 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UK86GT4.9Send a Private Message to UK86GT4.9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2013 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Completed a new harness for a customer...

This customer wanted every option that I currently offer (as seen in the prototype above).

I'm building another with a HUD interface.

If anyone out there was considering a plug-n-play Firebird harness, now would be a good time to order one.

Each one is custom built to order.

thanks.

- Jonathan

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-02-2013).]

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2016 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMPORTANT: the server that I have all my pictures on will be shutting down in the near future - so if you want to keep this (any of my info) as reference, download the pages and save as a word file so that you have a copy of any of my pictures. Sorry, no I will not be going through all the posts (editing them) and relocating the pictures to a different location.
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2020 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It seems like this thread is dead, but maybe someone here can help me out. I got a lot of good information here. The last problem I'm having is with the temp and oil pressure gauges. The temp gauge isn't moving at all, even when I put the key into run. The oil gauge is pegged to the max. Any advice?

[This message has been edited by rbell2915 (edited 03-21-2020).]

rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2020 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I doubt this will be read but I believe everything should have an update, so my issues have been resolved. The Fiero aux gauges had to be unplugged to fix the oil pressure gauge, and replacing the gauge cluster fixed the temp gauge problem.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rbell2915:

I doubt this will be read but I believe everything should have an update, so my issues have been resolved. The Fiero aux gauges had to be unplugged to fix the oil pressure gauge, and replacing the gauge cluster fixed the temp gauge problem.

Thanks for the update. Too many of these posts end with no resolution.

BTW - If anyone is interested in a plug and play harness I still make them on request.

PFF
System Bot
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2021 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok, this may apply to other dash swaps out there with people running an engine swap using a HEI ignition system (ie: 4.9, carb SBC, etc).

Sympton: tach bounces, or work fine till the higher rpms.

Why: the modern tachs are driven off either the ECM or a DIS system and supplies the tach with a nice clean signal - the older systems such as the HEI have quite a bit of noise on the signal and the 'modern' tach can not deal with this noise.

This circuit should eliminate any noise and send a cleaner square wave to you tach input. Edit: fixed picture

I kind of took the lazy way out by hacking up an old Fiero tach to get the filtering circuit out of it. I also have no ideal if the component values are the same as the above diagram (never cheacked).

Sorry, I didn't have a working digital camera to take pictures as I cut up the board, but you should be able to get an ideal of where I cut it from the pictures.

Front view, the large round hole in the lower right is the input to the tach, the resistor pack (white chip) is part of the one that get removed when doing the V8 tach mod.

Rear view, shows a better ideal of the cut in relation to the traces. The brown wire is ground and the upper yellow wire will feed your tach. The lower yellow one is the input from the distributor.

Anyways, there you have it.
Tim

This was posted by Mickey_Moose several years ago here and in this thread but the photos are not loading for me. I need assistance on building and installing that HEI filter, my tach is not reading properly past 3k RPM. In fact, I don't think it'll even go past 3k.

I did sent him an email shortly before this post, but it's a long shot if he replies. Haven't seen him around the forum in awhile.

Here is my Firebird cluster as it sits from my point of view. I'm not happy with it right now, so I'm going to attempt to build a new housing out of foam. I also need a V6 speedometer in order to delete the giant buffer I grabbed from the third gen F-body. That should simplify the wiring and free up some room to work.

[This message has been edited by rbell2915 (edited 02-08-2021).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 27 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock