Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Designing a new dash need a few ideas (Page 22)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 27 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Designing a new dash need a few ideas by OH10fiero
Started on: 11-01-2002 11:37 AM
Replies: 1071 (131249 views)
Last post by: rbell2915 on 02-08-2021 09:01 PM
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2007 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sharkman:

I think I will get a SGI-5 Universal Signal Interface Unit too solve my VSS problem. Will be the same cost as getting a used GT cluster...

That should work...probably easier for you. I considered putting those in my harness, but it would have made it more expensive.
IP: Logged
Sharkman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2007 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More questions

PIN A13 ORANGE on the firebird side, Can I use one of the PINK/BLACK power.
Or should that be a +12V at all times? I donīt have the never cluster with digital trip meter?

If I connect the tach wire without changing the cluster, what reading will I get? Could that harm the tach?
I am going to modify the cluster, but I want too know if I should wait to connect the wire until thats done.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2007 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

More questions

PIN A13 ORANGE on the firebird side, Can I use one of the PINK/BLACK power.
Or should that be a +12V at all times? I donīt have the never cluster with digital trip meter?

That's a good quesiton, the Fiero cluster does not have a "hot at all times" wire, the Firebird with the digital cluster needs that or the trip odometer will be lost every time the car is shut off. On the non-digital odometer it's probably alright. The cluster may go through a self-test everytime but that probably won't hurt it. If I were doing it though, I would hook it to a power wire that is hot all the times, since that's what it's expecting, that's how I do my harnesses.

If I connect the tach wire without changing the cluster, what reading will I get? Could that harm the tach?
I am going to modify the cluster, but I want too know if I should wait to connect the wire until thats done.

Since the cluster is expecting a V8 it will calculate RPM based on 4 pulses equals one revolution. Since your V6 only has 3 pules per revolution, the Tach will read 3/4 of the actual RPM. It won't hurt it. You will have to change the calibration as Tim has shown earlier in the thread.
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2007 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. Will take pictures later today if things dont burn...
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2007 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sharkman

804 posts
Member since May 2004

Engine on but I get some ABS INOP and LOW TRAC is on. Not connected on the wires. Just take away the bulbs?
Also, I could not find any indication for AJAR but there was a wire for that.
FUEL GUAGE - OK
SERVICE ENGINE - OK
BRAKES - OK
HIGH BEAM - OK
FASTEN SEATBELT - OK
GEN OUTPUT - ?VOLT METER?
LOW OIL - NOT CONNECTED BUT LIGHTS UP?
AJAR - ?
COOLANT TEMP - HAVENT HAD THE CAR RUNNING FOR LONG
IP ILLUMINATION - OK, + dimmer
SKIP SHIFT - MOVED BULB FROM ABS INOP BUT NOT WIRED UP
RH TURN SIGNAL - OK
VSS - NEED PARTS.
TACH - NEED MOD BUT MOVES
LH TURN SIGNAL - OK
OIL PRESSURE - OK

Thanks for all the help Jscott. I used the red wire from the headlight switch for A13

------------------
Regards SHARKMAN
86 GT, 3.4 Camaro engine,
choptop # 1 in Europe/Sweden

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2007 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good Work Sharkman,

There are a lot of wires to keep track of and you are doing very well. Just a few loose ends to tie up.

Engine on but I get some ABS INOP and LOW TRAC is on. Not connected on the wires. Just take away the bulbs? Also, I could not find any indication for AJAR but there was a wire for that.

You can remove the bulbs from the ABS INOP and the LOW TRAC if you want to, obviously a Fiero does not have traction control or ABS. I hook the AJAR wire on the Fiero to the LOW TRAC light, just so I don't lose the AJAR function.

By the way, you might have LEDs for the warning lights and they are not so easily removed, if you do then you have to cut the trace on the circuit board.

GEN OUTPUT - ?VOLT METER?

I hook the gen output on the Fiero to A14 on the Firebird in case the generator, (alternator) needs the turn on feature.

LOW OIL - NOT CONNECTED BUT LIGHTS UP?

If you saw my posts earlier, I could not find a way to make that light go out permanently, I cut the trace on that LED.

AJAR - ?

see earlier comment

SKIP SHIFT - MOVED BULB FROM ABS INOP BUT NOT WIRED UP

see earlier post you might be able to use that as a shift light.

VSS - NEED PARTS.

By the way, looking at your cluster it is the same as the ones used in the USA with MPH as primary. I don't believe it will be calibrated properly for KPH. You might need the Dakota Digital converter afterall. Let me know how that works out.

Thanks for all the help Jscott. I used the red wire from the headlight switch for A13

That's how I do it too, smart choice...

Most people are afraid of wiring,

I admire your courage to take it on, You are almost finished. Good Job.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 04-20-2007).]

Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2007 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A14 that you connected the gen output to. What light is that. So I dont take away the wrong bulb...

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2007 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As far as I know there is no actual bulb like on the Fiero, just a built in resistor somewhere.

Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2007 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, thanks.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2007 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
By the way, looking at your cluster it is the same as the ones used in the USA with MPH as primary. I don't believe it will be calibrated properly for KPH. You might need the Dakota Digital converter afterall. Let me know how that works out.

heh - the kph is printed on the face under the larger mph
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2007 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

heh - the kph is printed on the face under the larger mph

I don't know if the cars designed for KPH have the same 4000 ppm VSS senders?? I don't have a clue, if they are then he will be fine.
PFF
System Bot
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2007 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am thinking of buying the Dakota converter both for the Tach and the VSS.
That way I wont have problems when I change the engine next time...
$80 x 2 + shipping and tax. But the Swedish crown are strong right now so thats OK.

[This message has been edited by Sharkman (edited 04-23-2007).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2007 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am thinking of buying the Dakota converter both for the Tach and the VSS.

Yeah, like I said I could build the converters into my harness but that would drive up the cost and put it out of reach for most people. But it's a good idea, because if you change the tranny you might need to convert the VSS and if you change the engine you might need to convert the tach.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2007 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know if the cars designed for KPH have the same 4000 ppm VSS senders?? I don't have a clue, if they are then he will be fine.

...it's all 4000 ppm despite what sender is used - the speedo has to receive 4000 ppm to work correctly (that kind of seems to be the GM standard for the speedo input signal for all of their cars). The kph scale is just printed in reference to the mph scale with the conversions factor (or vise versa if you have the metric gage) - a 100 kph reading would roughly indicate 62.5 mph on the gage.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2007 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...it's all 4000 ppm despite what sender is used - the speedo has to receive 4000 ppm to work correctly (that kind of seems to be the GM standard for the speedo input signal for all of their cars).

Okay, so If I got a cluster with 0 -250 KPH as primary then it's going to be just as accurate in the same car as a 0 -155 MPH cluster because both clusters are expecting a 4000 ppm signal?

That's logical, but I didn't know that it worked that way. Then Sharkman should not need any conversion on the sppedo...but he'll need to modify the tach since he has a 3.4 V6 and that cluster was designed for a V8.

Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2007 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But if I use the SGI-5 and the SGI-8 I should be able to calibrate the cluster without modifications? Right?

------------------
Regards SHARKMAN
Europe # 1 choptop

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2007 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But if I use the SGI-5 and the SGI-8 I should be able to calibrate the cluster without modifications? Right?

Unless you change your transmission you won't need the SGI-5.

The SGI-8 will fix the tachometer without cluster modification.

However, it's $80 USD + shipping. The cluster modification costs maybe a couple of dollars for the resistors. If you follow Mickey_Moose's instructions, it's not that hard.
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2007 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are right. I will think it over.
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2007 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First picture on the part cut away. But the area markt have been cut as well. Most of the cuts have been made by hand because of the lowered windshield. Hard work!

Next. Dash in place but need to move the stearing column up.

Like this.

From the side to show how far in I got the dash.

------------------
Regards SHARKMAN
Europe # 1 choptop

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2007 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

From the side to show how far in I got the dash.

That looks very good! My congratulations.

For the next person to make the cut, it might be hard to see, but I put the sawzall on the floor with the blade up and was able to cut through easily. For a Chop top that might be the only way to do it.

Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2007 05:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My "new" bracket for the stearing column

Wanted to keep the safety and the original look.
Will post pictures of the bracket installed tonight.

[This message has been edited by Sharkman (edited 05-27-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2007 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My God, now I will have to read the whole 22 pages again to see what I have missed since a few months ago.

Outstanding information here. I just wish that I could find the time to finish my install.
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2007 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Need some help with my SGI-5 unit.
I have the 250km/h speed cluster from a Trans Am 96 (V8)
And Fiero ECM with a 3.4 camaro V6

Here are the switch options:

Switch#-----OFF------------------------------------------------------------- ON
1--------------SIGNAL GENERATOR SPEED INPUT-------------ECM/PCM SPEED INPUT
2--------------HIGH SENSITIVITY-----------------------------------------LOW SENSITIVITY
3--------------OUT3/4/5 SET FOR LOW SPEED IN---------------OUT 3/4/5 SET FOR HIGH SPEED IN
4--------------SLOWER OUTPUT-----------------------------------------FASTER OUTPUT

INPUT / OUTPUT OPTIONS (OC = open collector, closes to ground)
SWITCH # 3-------SIGNAL IN------OUT1----------OUT2---------OUT3---------OUT4-----------OUT5
ON--------------------64k - 256k-------128k AC-----128k OC-----8000 AC-----4000 OC-------2000 OC
OFF------------------4k - 16k-----------8000 AC-----8000 OC-----4000 AC-----4000 OC-------2000 OC

Have the yearly inspection next week and need this working before that.

Also, the fiero door lock. Are they + or - operated? Starting to be confused when conecting a new cargard alarm.

------------------
Regards SHARKMAN
Europe # 1 choptop

[This message has been edited by Sharkman (edited 06-27-2007).]

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Need some help with my SGI-5 unit.
I have the 250km/h speed cluster from a Trans Am 96 (V8)
And Fiero ECM with a 3.4 camaro V6

Switch# OFF ON
1 SIGNAL GENERATOR SPEED INPUT ECM/PCM SPEED INPUT
2 HIGH SENSITIVITY LOW SENSITIVITY
3 OUT3/4/5 SET FOR LOW SPEED IN OUT 3/4/5 SET FOR HIGH SPEED IN
4 SLOWER OUTPUT FASTER OUTPUT

SWITCH # 3 SIGNAL IN OUT1 OUT2 OUT3 OUT4 OUT5
ON 64k - 256k 128k AC 128k OC 8000 AC 4000 OC 2000 OC
OFF 4k - 16k 8000 AC 8000 OC 4000 AC 4000 OC 2000 OC

Have the yearly inspection next week and need this working before that.

Also, the fiero door lock. Are they + or - operated? Starting to be confused when conecting a new cargard alarm.

VSS sender out is 4k - speedo input is 4k
1=off, 3=off, and I am just guess here 2=on, not sure what 4 is all about - I would guess off

All switches are -ve operated in the Fiero

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 06-27-2007).]

Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2007 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1=off, 3=off, and I am just guess here 2=on, not sure what 4 is all about - I would guess off

Thanks, I will try that.

DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2007 04:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

To connect to the Firebird cluster you have to keep the Fiero speedometer board connected to C1... then you have to use the 4000 pulse per mile output on the board to drive the Firebird Speedometer. The 88 Fiero has a wire that provides that (the brown wire on pin M). The 86-87 GT board has that output but it may or may not go to pin N, (I had to find it directly on the board and not at pin N).

I have been tinkering with a couple clusters and through book research I've seen that the Fiero VSS is a 4000 PPM Generator. So it should work. It shows a resistor in the breakdown of the speedo circuit but that's just current limiting. Don't see why a direct connect wouldn't work. If you already have the SGI-5 then use it for tire calibration.

Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2007 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am pretty sure that the door locks are + operated
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2007 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DIY_Stu:

I have been tinkering with a couple clusters and through book research I've seen that the Fiero VSS is a 4000 PPM Generator.

It's true the Fiero VSS is a 4,000 Pulse Per Mile generator, but it is a sine wave, (or even triangular wave) that increases in amplitude with speed. At low speeds your speedometer is going to be very erratic. The buffer curcuit in the Fiero Stock circuit buffers that wave into a square wave. It also has a divide by two circuit to send 2,000 PPM to the ECM and the Cruise control, (if you have it.). Without a VSS signal the Fiero ECM will set a code. I don't know about the 3.4, but I'm guessing it will as well.

So yes you can connect the VSS directly up to the Camaro/Firebird cluster but it's not going to work as well, if at all.

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2007 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, the door locks are +..

Power door unlock is Black. Lock is Lt Blue.

I have used them in mine on my aftermarket door locks. I use them in a -V form. They trigger lock and unlock with a tiny bit of wiring.
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2007 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
02.00 night to sunday here...
The car alarm is installed and working, left on the car before the yearly inspection is to get the ventilation and dash in. That will be done tomorrow. Pics then.

Good night.

------------------
Regards SHARKMAN
Europe # 1 choptop

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2007 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

opps, my bad, I didn't pay close enough attention to the question - however, you should use relay's on the door locks, then it does not matter if it's + or -
PFF
System Bot
Haagster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2007 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HaagsterSend a Private Message to HaagsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So yes you can connect the VSS directly up to the Camaro/Firebird cluster but it's not going to work as well, if at all.

I will confirm that connecting the VSS directly to a Firebird cluster from a 4.9/4T60e combination (via ECM - not what I said, but what I meant ) does work well (learned from trial-by-error) - if that helps any...

[This message has been edited by Haagster (edited 07-01-2007).]

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2007 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Haagster:
I will confirm that connecting the VSS directly to a Firebird cluster from a 4.9/4T60e combination does work well (learned from trial-by-error) - if that helps any...

I can also confirm this: 4.9/Isuzu to Firebird...direct connect from the Caddy ECM to the Firebird gauges...the Caddy ECM does the filtering...

...the tach is not a direct connect from the 4.9 to the Firebird - I made a previous post in this thread about these problems.

The Fiero VSS is not compatiable, as jscott1 meantioned...

...also, you can not, with the 4.9/Firebird gauges, use the Fiero cruise setup without using the Fiero speedo for the 2000 ppm output

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 07-01-2007).]

Haagster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2007 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HaagsterSend a Private Message to HaagsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...also, you can not, with the 4.9/Firebird gauges, use the Fiero cruise setup without using the Fiero speedo for the 2000 ppm output

Doesn't the Caddy ECM have the cruise function? I don't recall without looking at my notes, but I remember Rockcrawl told me that I would just need to lengthen the wiring to the ECM to use the the cruise circuit - and it would would work better than the Fiero ever did (had problems with the Fiero stuff).

[This message has been edited by Haagster (edited 07-01-2007).]

DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2007 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The caddy ECM filters the speedo signal. The Caddy has a cruise control output but IIRC it's an 8000ppm signal.
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2007 04:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, no pics yet.
The yearly inspection is tomorrow morning and I still have some small thing to do.
Will take some pics tonight when the dash is in place. Had to change the ventilation one last time...
Doors not done but will do that after the inspection.
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2007 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sharkman

804 posts
Member since May 2004
Dash done...

But I have some problems
The speedo donīt work. No signal to the SGI-5? Green light always on. Do I need to use the ground from the same location?
Tach works but acts strange when I let of the gas sometimes.
Temp gauge donīt work.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2007 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DIY_Stu:
The caddy ECM filters the speedo signal. The Caddy has a cruise control output but IIRC it's an 8000ppm signal.

not according to the wiring diagrams - [u]the 4.9 ECM does not have a cruise output signal,[u] nor does it need one, as cruise is done internal to it and does not need a seperate cruise module like the stock Fiero has. As a side note, the only outputs the 4.9 ECM has are Pins B/11 and B/12, both @ 4000 ppm, says so right on the diagram.

Sharkman - sorry if you meantioned this, but what engine are you running? I assume you did the tach mod, the V8 clusters uses the ECM to supply the tach signal in the Firebird and it will not work even close to correctly in the Fiero. As for the speedo problem - it could be the switches on your converter are not set up correctly.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2007 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sharkman - sorry if you meantioned this, but what engine are you running? I assume you did the tach mod, the V8 clusters uses the ECM to supply the tach signal in the Firebird and it will not work even close to correctly in the Fiero. As for the speedo problem - it could be the switches on your converter are not set up correctly.

Isn't he running a 3.4 V6? He should not be having this problem.

Also, the 93-97 LT1 (V8) clusters will work just fine with the Fiero. I'm running a 97, 155 mph cluster in my stock 88GT and it works perfectly.

I think you meant to say the LS1 (98-2002) won't work right with the Fiero.
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2007 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have tried changing switch 1 too on but no luck. I think I need some more help here.
Could the problem be that the ground is from another location in the car. Both for the VSS and the Tach?

Switch#-----OFF------------------------------------------------------------- ON
1--------------SIGNAL GENERATOR SPEED INPUT-------------ECM/PCM SPEED INPUT
2--------------HIGH SENSITIVITY-----------------------------------------LOW SENSITIVITY
3--------------OUT3/4/5 SET FOR LOW SPEED IN---------------OUT 3/4/5 SET FOR HIGH SPEED IN
4--------------SLOWER OUTPUT-----------------------------------------FASTER OUTPUT

SWITCH # 3-------SIGNAL IN------OUT1----------OUT2---------OUT3---------OUT4-----------OUT5
ON--------------------64k - 256k-------128k AC-----128k OC-----8000 AC-----4000 OC-------2000 OC
OFF------------------4k - 16k-----------8000 AC-----8000 OC-----4000 AC-----4000 OC-------2000 OC

[This message has been edited by Sharkman (edited 07-03-2007).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 27 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock