Started on: 02-17-2008 01:57 PM
Replies: 343 (31179 views)
Last post by: Sage on 10-05-2017 09:48 PM
RideZiLightning

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2009 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the valvoline car better

BUT

Dang good work, the car looks absolutely fantastic
IP: Logged
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2009 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. When I started this project, that was the tough decision. Go Valvoline or GM. Maybe the next car will be the Valvoline car
Russ544

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2009 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Geeze IMSA. you haven't got this done yet !!!? I haven't checked in here for a few months and figured you'd be done, be bored with it, and have it for sale by now . No... actually I'm VERY impressed with what you've done with the car. almost makes me want to dig my own IMSA out again and paint something on that white canvas. yours really looks great.

Cheers,
Russ544
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2009 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know Russ.....this is turning out to be one slow build

I am going to shift gears here for a while and post about the interior color changes that I am making. I am going to try to match the outside color scheme of the car to the inside. I am going to go with a black and white scheme with red accents. My shift boot is suede leather with a red stiching so I figured I would accent the interior with red. I also am going to be making fiberglass...possibly carbon fiber speaker pods for the doors as well as making all new gauge/center console/aux gauge/radio plates out of carbon fiber. I am also installing the Speedhut gauge faces so they will look very nice in white with the carbon fiber gauge plates. I am expecting my roll of carbon fiber cloth to show up in the next week. I ordered a 15 foot by 5 foot roll so I should have enough for the speaker pods. Here are a couple of quick pics of the finished quarter window with fastener installed:

And one side of the IMSA taillight....damned lint shows up like crap but trust me, they are smooth as glass
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2009 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMSA GT

10268 posts
Member since Aug 2007
Here are some pics of the interior that I just got done painting. The interior was gray and now it is black.

Here is the finished plastic pieces, no need to show all of them

Here are the door panels before painting

And after

Here is the panel after the white accent with the now-white armrest

And with the red accent photoshopped in. The red will be a deeper color on the actual product

After this, the lower portion will be black carpet and also the speaker pod that I will be making will run the length of the lower portion of the door. It will be fiberglass or carbon fiber ( depending on how I feel on that day ) and will be airtight to form a nice speaker box.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2009 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those door panels will look very sharp when you're done. I like the black/white/red combination. The carbon fiber will look great too, keep up the good work!

------------------

Check out my build!
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html

kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those will look great!
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tonight, it was time to finish the red pinstripe and carpet the lower portion of the door. The first thing was to mark the cut with a chalk pencil and them cut the material.

Next was to glue the carpet to the door and make sure everything looked OK.

The final thing on the agenda for tonight was the carbon fiber that I ordered for the speaker pods and the gauge faces. I will be making the new gauge/center console faces as well as a speaker pod for the component speakers that I ordered. Tonight, I started laying down 7 layers for the gauges ( not pictured ).
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You do amazing work. And I thought "I" was detail oriented!

------------------

Click here for all your Fiberglass part needs

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimmyS:

You do amazing work. And I thought "I" was detail oriented!

Thank you....but you are producing some great items yourself for the entire Fiero community.
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2009 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookin' good.
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2009 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

Lookin' good.

Thank you
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2009 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMSA GT

10268 posts
Member since Aug 2007
So tonight I spent quite a while building the form for my speaker pods for the doors. I created the frame using MDF and coated the entire unit with mylar to make sure that the fiberglass would release. I then need to flip the form over and make one for the passenger side door. Here is a pic of the form with 2 layers of material layered on top.

The material is just to get a general shape so the carbon fiber has something solid to stick on. The design includes a map pocket, since I am losing the factory one and the speakers are angled upwards, although you can't tell from the photo.
DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2009 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Impressive. I can't wait to see them competed.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post09-07-2009 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This one has been marked as a favorite for quite a while now. Hurry up and finish. Or just take your time, and do it right.

Awesome work. The doors look just amazing. I like where you are going with the map pockets integrated into the pods. Very original idea.

Tony
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2009 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate the compliments guys

Here is the pod with the carbon fiber on top. I still have to sand it when it dries and apply several coats of resin to smooth it out and give it that glass-like appearance. It takes about a day in between coats of resin so this will take a while. I love the appearance of carbon fiber even when it is not finished, it has that strange color/depth look as well as really being able to tell the curved part for the flat part. By the time I am done, the tight angles should be smoothed over and more rounded.

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2009 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMSA GT

10268 posts
Member since Aug 2007
2nd coat of resin. After this, more sanding and 2 more coats should make it like glass
86fierofun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2009 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love your work

Have you used that interior paint before (that you used on your door panels)? How well does it stick? How long does it last?

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2009 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

2nd coat of resin. After this, more sanding and 2 more coats should make it like glass

If that's epoxy or polyester laminating resin you may want to still clear coat it. Epoxy is not uv stable & poly is air inhibited & will stink for a while unless topcoated.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 09-08-2009).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2009 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Amida:

If that's epoxy or polyester laminating resin you may want to still clear coat it. Epoxy is not uv stable & poly is air inhibited & will stink for a while unless topcoated.

It is epoxy based so once I wetsand the final coat, I will definately have to clear it.
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amazing..... simply amazing.

PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
updates!?

------------------

Check out my build!

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2009 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

updates!?

Actually, I just wetsanded the entire car down after the first clearcoat to make sure everything was level. I am in the process of putting on a few more final coats to make it look like glass. I also had to order another gallon of clear that should be showing up next week just to be safe since I also have to spray the vents and the quarter window surrounds. I will be honest about 1 major screw up.....I built the speaker pods based on another set of speakers BEFORE I actually received the proper set and I was about 1/4" too small on the speaker cutouts so the speaker grilles overlapped the outside and are useless. I have to redo them and I am going to change up the design based on the looks of the Blaupunkt speakers that I am using. The GOOD news is that after I released the carbon fiber pieces from the molds and knowing that they were basically garbage, I decided to truly test the strength of the fiber by having my 2 1/2 year old stand on them and try to crack them. It didn't work....so I decided to try. At 6' 1" and 255lbs, I just was able to make them flex a little. Now I truly know the strength of carbon fiber. I have been off for the last 5 days so I have really been working on the car.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2009 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's too bad, if I was more interested in stereo set ups, I would buy those nice pieces off you that won't be using. Maybe somebody else on the forum can put them to good use? Try and sell them!
btw, pm replied to.

------------------

Check out my build!

IwannaIRM

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2010 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, it's been several months since your last update on this great project.'

Where are you on your progress in completing this? Did you resolve the speaker pod issue? How did all the coats of clear coat work out? Did you get your wheels in yet?

We need some updates and progress pics!!!! Please!!!!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2010 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree!

Just thinking of this project the other day

------------------

Check out my build!

troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2010 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea! (chant) We want an update....We want an update....We want an update....We want an update....

------------------
Paul

My IMSA Build: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315
HHP Adjustable Sway Bars: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/036556.html

FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Natives are getting restless. This doesn't bode well, could get ugly in here if you do not placate us.

------------------

DRWBRTq19

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2010 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRWBRTq19Send a Private Message to DRWBRTq19Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for new pics!

Drew
Phoenix4404

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2010 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Phoenix4404Click Here to visit Phoenix4404's HomePageSend a Private Message to Phoenix4404Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you have some mad/crazy painting skills... Awesome build
PFF
System Bot
FieroDev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2010 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDevSend a Private Message to FieroDevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates???
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2010 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Currently, I am trying to get the car completed for the Tyler gathering in July. Since my wife now works different hours, I can slowly start to focus more on this build. In a nutshell for you new guys, I started this build and kicked ass for the first few months, had 2 kids and the build froze. Now I am slowly getting back into the swing of things.

Right now, this is what I am working on...pics to follow:

Interior is out and new black carpet installed
Door panels are installed and new dew wipes installed
Dash is partially painted to match the door panels and will be completed soon
I made all new carbon fiber gauge surrounds in red/black carbon fiber pattern
Center console and main gauge pod needs to be painted black this weekend
Mr. Mikes black seat covers have to be ordered
Wheels will be ordered soon
I am in the process of making a carbon fiber door for the map pocket in the dash to replace the current cloth pocket
Still have to skin the mirrors in carbon fiber
Need to airbrush the "earth" on the Discovery Channel logos....a few hours per side to do that since there are so many layers that have to dry

The interior will be a red/black theme and by red and black, I mean black with subtle red accents here and there...like red welts on the black seats. Nothing will be obnoxious red.

Most of this is clean up work and the details ( like the screw covers for the door I painted in the above photo ). I will post more pics as soon as I have the chance.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 03-02-2010).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2010 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! Lets see some pics of those gauge surrounds in cf!
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few more pics from today. Installed the dash and gauges. Installed the old white gauge surrounds while I make the carbon fiber style, installed the dyed map pocket while I make the new glove box door.

I also removed the old speaker fabric, sanded and painted the grilles to match:
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks sharp! I like it
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice job. Looks like you're getting ready for show season.
FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That color combo of white red and black on the door panels and dash is fantastic. great work!
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to see that your back at it, the interior is smokin'.

Cheers Beers n Gearz. Joe
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2010 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments guys. I really need to get the carbon fiber done. The gauge surrounds are just a little too obnoxious for me being in all white. I just put them on for photos.
This is the color of the carbon fiber that I am using:

And this is the basic flat plate that I made for the surrounds. It is 6 layers of black carbon fiber as a base and the final layer is the red. Now I just need to cut the openings. You can see with the final resin how the red darkened up as opposed to the raw material on the roll.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock