Started on: 02-17-2008 01:57 PM
Replies: 343 (31179 views)
Last post by: Sage on 10-05-2017 09:48 PM
troyboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2008 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oops!! lets turn that thumbs down to a . Great build, you gota love a tweaked IMSA.

[This message has been edited by troyboy (edited 09-30-2008).]

IP: Logged
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the lack of updates.....work is really busy. Tomorrow I will post pics of the decklid mod after primer. If that dries quick enough, I will start the paintjob with the logos tomorrow also. If not, I will post the paint pics on Sunday.
86fierofun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2008 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Question on the decklid. Are you making a "tray" for the vent to close off the supports? I would think leaving them open like that could pose issues with collecting water if the car is ever run in the rain.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2008 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fierofun:

Question on the decklid. Are you making a "tray" for the vent to close off the supports? I would think leaving them open like that could pose issues with collecting water if the car is ever run in the rain.

The only thing I am going to do to the vent is add a very fine mesh grille under it which will be painted black. The mesh will be removable so I can clean/repaint it if it ever gets too dirty. The car will never be in the rain so I am not too concerned with the water issue. As far as washing it and getting water on the engine, I'll just have to be careful. Right now, the car won't even pass smog so it may never be street legal. The wheels and tires I am using are not street legal either plus I have other daily driver cars that my wife and I use so rain will not be an issue with the Fiero.
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2008 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well then, carry on

EDIT: I was thinking something simple like this:

but maybe that isn't too simple.....

[This message has been edited by 86fierofun (edited 11-02-2008).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2008 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

well then, carry on

EDIT: I was thinking something simple like this:

but maybe that isn't too simple.....

I never thought of that until I saw your photoshop. I will think about doing that since it will box in the supports real nice. Thank you for the idea.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2008 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMSA GT

10268 posts
Member since Aug 2007
Things did not go as planned this weekend....( Rain Storm ). I managed to finish the final prep before priming and test fitted the stencils for the logos.

One of the hard decisions that I have to make is whether to have the "Pontiac" facing forwards or to the rear. On the original car, it is facing the rear but it looks good either way. Decisions....decisions

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 11-03-2008).]

Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2008 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The grill almost looks chrome plated.
Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2008 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That 84 grill tweak is awesome.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2008 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I primed the decklid about an hour ago. Here is a closeup of the vent mod.

And here is the decklid. I am starting on the white right now and may post more later tonight or tomorrow.

motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2008 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cheers Beers n Gearz. Joe
PFF
System Bot
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2008 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice. Do you spray outdoors or do you have a temporary spraybooth?
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2008 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

Nice. Do you spray outdoors or do you have a temporary spraybooth?

I actually spray in an enclosed garage. The floor is epoxy coated and the walls are all sprayed with a tack spray to catch any dust. I just run a dust broom over the floor before painting. The garage also has 2 vents with explosion proof fans for venting. I really take time and adjust the spray guns so there is almost no overspray.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2008 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never heard of a paint booth exploding from a fan spark. I guess it could happen, sort of like having a sparkplug in a car exhaust to blow flames, huh?
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2008 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

I never heard of a paint booth exploding from a fan spark. I guess it could happen, sort of like having a sparkplug in a car exhaust to blow flames, huh?

I just use explosion proof fans to be safe. I'm sure I could get away with other direct drive fans.....I just play it safe
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2008 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I never thought of that until I saw your photoshop. I will think about doing that since it will box in the supports real nice. Thank you for the idea.

No problem, though it looks like you went with your original plan.

Either way, It looks nice!
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2008 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No problem, though it looks like you went with your original plan.

Either way, It looks nice!

I can still box it in from underneath. There is plenty of room to work from the back side.
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2008 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2008 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just waiting for the white basecoat to dry. Next are the airbrushed logos. The vent mod looks nice now that it has some color.

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2008 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are doing such a nice job on this car. I cant wait to see it completed!! I love your attention to detail, that is what is going to make this car truly amazing!!
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2008 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the decklid. That is what Pontiac should have done. That and turned the side vents aroudn to match of course.

PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2008 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

Love the decklid. That is what Pontiac should have done. That and turned the side vents aroudn to match of course.

Funny you say that.....if I can get my hands on another 84 grille, I am going to split it in half and modify both side vent panels so everything matches all the way across the rear.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2008 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMSA GT

10268 posts
Member since Aug 2007
I still had time tonight so I just finished the GM logo. Measured and laid out the decal...

Masked it for paint

And sprayed the blue.....after which I removed the mask

And then the decal stencil once the paint had set up.

Tomorrow, the rest of the logos on the decklid will be painted.
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2008 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man thats looking good, can't wait to see the car finished.

Cheers Beers n Gearz. Joe
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2008 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One more quick update. I decided to leave the Pontiac logo facing backwards like the original car. First I masked the logo out:

And the finished logo painted on:

Next I am focusing on the "Goodwrench" and the "Performance Parts" that are under the lip of the wing. Also, I decided to spray my new quarter windows black and spray the "Pontiac Motorsports" logo and emblem on the windows. Stay tuned......
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2008 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My god does that look nice!!! You are going to have to sell me this car when you are done.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2008 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This might be easier to read.

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2008 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Badass! A + for you!

[This message has been edited by HC (edited 11-09-2008).]

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2008 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SaaaaWeeeT ! Looking really Good!

and

and of course

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2008 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looking great, do you clear coat on top of the logos
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2008 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

looking great, do you clear coat on top of the logos

Yes I do. All of the logos are airbrushed using the Auto-Air line of water based auto paints. The logos spray on so thin that once the clear is applied, you won't see or feel any bumps where the logos are. On all of the pictures that I have posted so far, the clear coat has not been applied yet....just an intercoat clear to protect the airbrushing which is why the paint looks dull.
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2008 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMSA GT

10268 posts
Member since Aug 2007

Originally posted by R Runner:

SaaaaWeeeT ! Looking really Good!

and

and of course

Originally posted by HC:

Badass! A + for you!

Thank you....and Thank you
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2008 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes I do. All of the logos are airbrushed using the Auto-Air line of water based auto paints. The logos spray on so thin that once the clear is applied, you won't see or feel any bumps where the logos are. On all of the pictures that I have posted so far, the clear coat has not been applied yet....just an intercoat clear to protect the airbrushing which is why the paint looks dull.

Man that is going to be one sweet ride when it's done
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2008 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tonight, I wetsanded my new quarter windows from Ken Hines.....yes I ruined a brand new set. I decided to paint these a solid gloss black and them do the "Pontiac Motorsports" logo on them. Here are the windows prepped:

And here are the windows with the basecoat of black:

That is it for the windows for tonight. Tomorrow, I will do the logo and clearcoat them.

On to the bigger stuff. I finished the decklid logos tonight and will probably clearcoat it tomorrow along with the quarter windows. Here are the final logos layed out:

And the logos after paint:

I'm using a wide angle lens so everything look bubbled but the logos are straight
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2008 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just finished airbrushing the quarter window logos. Here they are before the clearcoat goes on:

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2008 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW!!!
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DeLorean00:

WOW!!!

Now things should really start to move since I don't like to start a paint job and leave it unfinished. The real fun is going to be spraying the Pontiac crest on the roof since I have a sunroof.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just waiting for the white basecoat to dry. Next are the airbrushed logos. The vent mod looks nice now that it has some color.

alright where did you get it spill the beans

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

alright where did you get it spill the beans

The wing or the grille?
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
both of them actuley i like the whole set up
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock