Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Sourmug's Decklid Vent Build ** 56K Warning!!** (Page 17)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version | Print VBook

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Sourmug's Decklid Vent Build ** 56K Warning!!** by Sourmug
Started on: 03-12-2006 03:40 AM
Replies: 681 (59687 views)
Last post by: labbe001 on 02-22-2024 04:39 PM
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2008 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments guys!

Originally posted by ALLTRBO:

Whoa. Nice deck lid build! :P
I'm almost speechless - Where the heck do some of you guys find the time to build things like this? It looks like a full time job plus plenty of overtime.

That car is rolling art.

Yes, it's been a bit of work and there's plenty left to do. Kind of needed to take a break from it as it gets a bit overwelming at times but I'm getting the bug to start working on it again.

As for time, we don't have kids so I do have some extra time available that most spend running around to soccer/hockey games etc.

Nolan

WOOT! Page 17 !!!

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 05-15-2008).]

IP: Logged
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2008 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, page 17 and not finished yet.....looking forward to at least 30 pages more!!
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take your time, Nolan. You do awesome work.

Yes, it's been a bit of work and there's plenty left to do. Kind of needed to take a break from it as it gets a bit overwelming at times but I'm getting the bug to start working on it again.

As for time, we don't have kids so I do have some extra time available that most spend running around to soccer/hockey games etc.

I hear you. I took almost 3 months off because I was burnt, but I'm hard at it now. But, I'm also going to lose about 4 hours today, though. 3 soccer games to go too.

Bob
redraif

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Also, I purchased an older model Firebird wing. I like the rear diffuser that was made here in this Thread

Here are a couple of pictures of 3.8 SC's car:

OK, that's all for tonight.
Nolan

Wow I just stumbled upon this thread. I so have to go back & look around. There is some interesting stuff going on here. Makes me want to tweek the Indy... I just had to get a limited edition fiero... LOL

I just was scanning back through the thread and had to add my comment on the rear wing Idea... Personally I love it, but when I did this on my firebird back in 2000 I got blasted by everyone. I still get nailed for this when ever I post on the F-body Forums. I have not yet flushed in the wing as I have never been satisfied with the stock bumper...

Wow black does not photograph well... I so need some better pics!

Thats what I like about Fiero Owners, you guys have vision and understand that just because you tweek something to fit your vision does not mean you ruin the car.
------------------
"I'm just a girl..."
1984 Indy Fiero Pace Car
1987 Red & Black Firebird: "RAIF" WEBSITE: www.redraif.com
OTHER CARS’ WEBSITES:
1982 Trans AM / 1990 Chevy Dually / 1976 Scout II / 1987 Nissan Pulsar

[This message has been edited by redraif (edited 05-19-2008).]

widebody_dreamin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2008 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for widebody_dreaminSend a Private Message to widebody_dreaminEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello,
I am new to forums. But I must stay that you do very fine work.
I am getting ready to start working on my 87 Fiero GT and a lot of the projects you have done are providing a lot of incentive to start some of them.

I would like to thank you for posting all the hard work you have done and the time spent documenting and sharing!!
Scott
SAFASTRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2008 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Scott!!!
First off, welcome to the forum.
I too admire Nolan for his work and documentation. I hope to one day see this car in person......hey Nolan, if you're reading this, let me know when I can stop by for a sneak-peak!!!
Thanks!!!

------------------
Order your Official Pennock's Forum decals in this thread. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/040445.html

2" Choptop
Shortened Front Bumper
Shortened Rear Bumper
10" Stretch
Dubs
350 V8 Conversion pushing 350 ponies!!

[This message has been edited by SAFASTRO (edited 07-18-2008).]

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry that I haven't responded sooner but I have not been on the forum much lately.

I haven't progressed on the car at all either I have been far too busy doing home renovations. I must admit that I have also been avoiding it a bit but I think that it's time that I started to work on it again. Hopefully I will be able to provide an update in the near future.

Safastro:

Give me some time to clean things up and put it in order and then I'll have a bunch over to have a look at it.

Thanks
Nolan
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2008 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2008 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All I have to say is...Unbelievable. Totally unreal. The amount of hard labor and craftsmen ship that i just read in the last 17 pages is unlike anything i have ever seen in my life. The way you just turn normal things like a grand am door panel into a work of art or the part about using a coke bottle for rings...its just...there is no way to describe in it words. I wish to make something that detailed when i'm older. And here i am worrying about fixing my subwoofer issue. Amazing job! Keep it up!
Lancealpha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2008 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LancealphaSend a Private Message to LancealphaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Updates please!!
Freeman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FreemanSend a Private Message to FreemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nolan -

Beautiful work, I've been following this thread for a while now. You even motivated me to start to work on my own dash swap. Great work with the door panels. would you be willing to share where you bought the polyuerothane foam (A-B foam?)? I've been looking around and have not found anything in any stores, and have always been tenative about buying things online. Again, great work.

-Jon
PFF
System Bot
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2008 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My apologies everyone, I have not checked in for a while nor have I had the chance to make any progress on the car.

Thanks for you compliments, it's nice to know that you are all still interested. I hope to be able to do some work on the car in the near future.

Freeman: I purchased the two part foam from a local autobody supplier. I'm sure that you would be able to find a similar product in a similar shop near you.

Thanks again
Nolan
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I checked my receipts and the foam was actually purchased at a place that specializes in plastics, fiberglass and resins.

Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 10-10-2008).]

whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just looked threw your build for the first time.
Nice Job! I will have to save as a fav.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2008 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just went through the whole thing again myself. So many good ideas. Bump for you, Nolan.

Bob
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BUMP FROM THE PAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok Nolan,

Super Great work! You are a master of these kind of things!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....

What happened to the dash wiring?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? (p.s. Send me the pin outs )

I hope the house is finished ( I can just image how THAT looks) cause I am having a fit cause the post have stopped for a while.
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone.

Sorry that I haven't been around in a while and thanks for the comments.

I don't have any progress to report. In fact, I'm not certain about the future of this build. I seem to have hit a roadblock and just can't make any progress at this point. So much so that I am uncertain as to whether I will continue with this, sell it as a project, part it out or scrap the whole thing entirely. Time will tell.

Thanks for continuing to look at this thread, I hope that you have found it beneficial and helpful in some small way.

Thanks
Nolan
SAFASTRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nolan,
Sorry to here about your loss of interest in this incredible build.
Let me know if I can take any of those parts off your hand!! I'd hate to see this build go to waste! Too much talent and hard work for it to be sent out to the scrappers.
If I can help.....let me know!!

------------------
Order your Official Pennock's Forum decals in this thread. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/040445.html
Other decal, poster, banner, floor graphic needs, go here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/074429.html

2" Choptop
Shortened Front Bumper
Shortened Rear Bumper
10" Stretch
Dubs
350 V8 Conversion pushing 350 ponies!!

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hi everyone.

Sorry that I haven't been around in a while and thanks for the comments.

I don't have any progress to report. In fact, I'm not certain about the future of this build. I seem to have hit a roadblock and just can't make any progress at this point. So much so that I am uncertain as to whether I will continue with this, sell it as a project, part it out or scrap the whole thing entirely. Time will tell.

Thanks for continuing to look at this thread, I hope that you have found it beneficial and helpful in some small way.

Thanks
Nolan

I let my car sit for a year after putting the V8 in, then I installed the Norm flipper and let it sit for 6 months, mr. mike leather, its sitting again. As long as its not costing me money to keep it I will let it sit till its finished.
It helps that the car is drivable and I can take it out for a spin once in a while.

What ever you decide don't go into it lightly, I let my Charger go and have regretted it for 20 years.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2009 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to give this a bump back to the forefront. This has to be one of the most extensive and best build threads I have seen! If you ever decide to get rid of this machine let me know...I would be super interested!!!!!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2009 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't have any progress to report. In fact, I'm not certain about the future of this build. I seem to have hit a roadblock and just can't make any progress at this point.

What's the roadblock and can we give you a hand with it? I'm sure there's a few in Calgary or Edmonton that have already done what you're stuck on and can probably get your project going again.

Tony
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2009 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After a long rest my Fiero is putting a smile on my face again!

------------------
Our legacy will be the dirt that is swept out of abandoned factories as the industrious youths of the future go back to work.
Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid.

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2009 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since you've helped inspire some of my creativity, Nolan, here is a shot of the hood vent I'm working on. It's a slightly tweaked Fieroaddiction vent.

Hope you get the inspiration back soon...

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 05-31-2009).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2009 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Since you've helped inspire some of my creativity, Nolan, here is a shot of the hood vent I'm working on. It's a slightly tweaked Fieroaddiction vent.

Hope you get the inspiration back soon...

Bob

Nice hood !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WoW !!!
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2009 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back on page 6..... WHAT YOU ARE MY FATHER!!!!! swwwweeeeet can I take the car out tonight DAD?

Very cool thread the work is outstanding and that is an understatement

------------------

Love The Excitement!

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2009 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all:

Thanks for all your encouragement and comments, they have been greatly appreciated. However, i believe that it is now time to move on. I am listing this project for sale in the mall.

Thanks again.
Nolan
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2009 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah, Nolan...Say it's not so....

Sorry to see you leave...You've been an inspiration...

Bob
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2009 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, it looks like this is the end. Here are pics just before the sale day that I had for our local club:

A lot of good parts went to a lot of good Fiero people. Most has been sold now except for a few larger or more expensive items.

Here's the chassis all loaded up with the scrap parts:

On the flatbed:

Now there's just room in the garage where it sat for the last 5 years.

Don't mean to wax maudlin but it's is admittedly tough to see it go. I poured a lot of effort, creativity and heart into it but it wasn't in me to finish it. My hats off to all of you who take on projects such as this and finish them I can only imagine the excitement when you get to drive the finished project.

I have no regrets however, as I learned a lot, enjoyed the process and did things that I had never thought that I could do. I hope that those of you who have followed this thread have enjoyed the journey. I know I have.

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 09-02-2009).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2009 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanx Nolan, for the inspiration and guidance. Hope you continue to hang with us.

Bob
Team Race-Tech

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
did you get your headers yet????
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2010 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Joe:

Not yet, I'm sure it will take a few more days.

Thanks
PFF
System Bot
HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2010 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have lots of questions about the decklid vent.

What car is it off of or what's it for? Where did u get it? Does it work well to keep the engine bay cool? Does it let leaves, water, etc in easily? How hard was this vent to install (u can compare to other decklid scoops, like the popular mustang scoop)?
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2010 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HausFiero:

I have lots of questions about the decklid vent.

What car is it off of or what's it for? Where did u get it? Does it work well to keep the engine bay cool? Does it let leaves, water, etc in easily? How hard was this vent to install (u can compare to other decklid scoops, like the popular mustang scoop)?

Hi:

The vent came from Taiwan and the seller/maker went by "Golden" on the forum, I don't know if it's still available.

Yes it would help keep the bay cool.

I had not added screens yet but I was going to to keep leaves out.

Rain water would get in. Not a big deal for me as I try not to drive my Fiero in the rain and it parks in the garage.

It's a LOT of effort to install. It also depends on what level of finish you want the final product to have. I wanted mine to look like it came from the factory that way.

Thanks
Nolan
labbe001

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2011 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i cannot view images posted in this topic anymore for some reason.....there is a red "X" in place of where the images used to appear.....anyone know what's up with that? thanks
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2011 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They seem to be working fine for me.

Edit to add: I didn't think anyone would be looking at this thread any more.

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 09-16-2011).]

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2011 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Edit to add: I didn't think anyone would be looking at this thread any more.

With the attention to detail, great write up, step by step pics and unique ideas, this is one of the best construction threads! The effort you gave to us to see your ideas is what makes this place great. I hope you never think of "failed" not finishing it.
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2011 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, thanks!

No I don't view it as a "failure" but I do sometimes wish that I had persevered and finished it. It was a great learning experience and it pushed the boundaries of what I thought I was capable of.

thanks
Nolan
War Hammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2011 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for War HammerSend a Private Message to War HammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You do fantastic work and it has brought a lot back to mind and given me pointers as to what is to come. I really appreciate all the effort you put in and wish to thank you for sharing it.

This is how we lean from each other.

Paul

------------------
1988 Fiero
3800SC Series 1 w/5spd Getrag
Lowering Springs
Konis
18's w/Pirellis
Corvette Dash Mod
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000099.html

1985 GT
1986 Notchie
1987 Notchie

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2011 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Paul, glad I could help out a bit.

Nolan
lyleapgmc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2012 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lyleapgmcSend a Private Message to lyleapgmcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Nolan,

I just bought an '85 Fiero that needs some TLC, or maybe lots of TLC. I have read your posts even today in April of 2012. So you think others aren't very interested in what you have done. Not!

There are a lot of great ideas and also inspiration in your descriptions and pictures.

I understand about your moving on. I have several projects that I haven't looked at in way too long. There are a few that I have forgotten I have until I stumble on them. I should part with them and recover the space they are taking.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock