Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Sourmug's Decklid Vent Build ** 56K Warning!!** (Page 16)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version | Print VBook

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Sourmug's Decklid Vent Build ** 56K Warning!!** by Sourmug
Started on: 03-12-2006 03:40 AM
Replies: 681 (59719 views)
Last post by: labbe001 on 02-22-2024 04:39 PM
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2007 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When the stock hub is in place on the back of the wheel the nuts for the front cap would no longer have sufficient space. I cant just rotate the cap as there are two rods that tie into it from the bottom curve of the new wheel. However, the inside piece that holds the horn button can rotate but that meant that I would have to drill new holes for the machine screws that came with the wheel. Here is a picture showing the plastic center piece rotated and used as a template to punch the new hole locations. There are two existing holes that I will reuse (they are for 2 screws from the back that won't be installed) and they were used to hold the "template" in place:

The front aluminum piece was then drilled for the new holes and the whole assembly was but together to check the fit. Here's the backside:

What do you know... It all lined up! I then used JB weld to attach the nuts to the wheel as there is no way to access these once the wheel is on the column. I also covered the screw heads with tape first so that there would be no JB weld on them:

And here's the assembled wheel:

And the shroud in place.

Now I just have to figure out how to wire up the horn.
Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 09-22-2007).]

IP: Logged
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK...

I finally started:

Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like fun......
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh yeah! loads of fun!
FieroWannaBe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It really has come a long way, and youve done amazing work so far. Keep, it up, your inspiring.

------------------
PROJECT 1986 GT Stormbringer

MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you gone to the dark side of rice?? No, my freind; rice is a paint-job you did in your garage with a brush, rice is a muffler dangling off the end of a car because it's too big. No, you've gone to the light side of awesomeness.

This thread is great because it's everything most people will ever want to do with their fiero, keep it up!
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2007 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the kind comments guys, I really appreciate it!

Nolan
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anti-achival bump!

Nothing to report, too busy doing reno's in the house - gotta keep the spousal unit happy!

Nolan
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

OK...

I finally started:

I bet you are having more fun with that than any other part of your project

Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post11-19-2007 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OK...

I finally started:

Hahaha

I thought I would warn you. I'm running into all sorts of lq1 troubles on my end. I would like to thoroughly suggest you remake the thin 1/8 steel bracket that runs from the front transmission mount (under driver) to the transmission. Mine has folded in half ! Since you can already make parts at your shop, make another out of 1/4 steel. It may save you tons of headache down the road.

Everything else looks amazing. Keep up the good work!
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:
I bet you are having more fun with that than any other part of your project

You bet! And that's why it's just sitting there
PFF
System Bot
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sourmug

4538 posts
Member since Sep 2002

Originally posted by Emc209i:

Hahaha

I thought I would warn you. I'm running into all sorts of lq1 troubles on my end. I would like to thoroughly suggest you remake the thin 1/8 steel bracket that runs from the front transmission mount (under driver) to the transmission. Mine has folded in half ! Since you can already make parts at your shop, make another out of 1/4 steel. It may save you tons of headache down the road.

Everything else looks amazing. Keep up the good work!

I assume that this is the mount you are talking about?

I think that it should be fairly easy to rienforce this if it is.

Thanks For the compliment!
Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 11-20-2007).]

Nate16

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nate16Send a Private Message to Nate16Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have read your entire thread and have to say that this is the most awesome thread with this kind of work being done. Being that you have never done this before it inspires me to tackle this kind of work. If only I had a garage. I really like the interior work on your fiero. I also have to ask where did you get the seat covers for your car? I really like them.
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Nate! The seats have Mr. Mike's seat covers on them. I believe he has a Christmas sale on now.

Nolan
Emc209i

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post11-20-2007 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I assume that this is the mount you are talking about?

Thanks For the compliment!
Nolan

Close. Its the bracket that bolts on top of that and wraps around the front of the tranny housing.

Keep up the good work!

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2008 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone:

Sorry that I have not had an update for you. Life has interfered and I haven't really been able to work on the car.

I have been doing some home reno's (keeps the Wife happy )
Also our '96 Subaru Outback bit the dust so I have purchased a '05 Subaru Legacy GT Limited Wagon with the 2.5l turbo!! I'll post some pictures of it later. It's a great car and fun to drive.

Hopefully I'll be able to post an update on the Fiero soon.

Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 01-15-2008).]

fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post02-19-2008 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nolan...I just took the time to actually read the whole thread from start to finish....and I am in awe!!!! What a wonderful, detailed account of a true labour of love!! And I am happy to have been able to contribute in a small way!! Hope you can get going again soon
Best wishes
Nick

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 02-20-2008).]

Kuta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KutaClick Here to visit Kuta's HomePageSend a Private Message to KutaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow all this from a bust clutch . ... i am replacing mine so wish me luck!
Kuta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KutaClick Here to visit Kuta's HomePageSend a Private Message to KutaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kuta

94 posts
Member since Dec 2007
also, this is the most mods i have seen in 1 thread

-> v.impressed
jscott1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And the assembly attached to the door:

Nolan

Wow, I don't know how I missed this thread up until now. I guess I should have realized a decklid vent couldn't take 16 pages!

I really wished I had seen this last year when I spent hours staring at my doors trying to figure out where to mount the actuator on my firebird door panel conversion. It ended up in the exact same place. I'd give you a "+" but you already have one.
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn! I'd never read it either, because of the title.. Didn't know what I'd been missing out on! Kind of inspires me to do something with the 3KGT dash that's propped up in the corner... Good job man, some really cool stuff going on there! I like the heater controls...
PFF
System Bot
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2008 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi All:

Thanks for the comments and sorry I haven't responded sooner. I guess I should check my own thread.

I have done a little bit of work on the car and will try to post some pictures when I get home tonight.

Thanks!

Nolan
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2008 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sourmug

4538 posts
Member since Sep 2002
OK, time for an update.

I have been working on attaching the various bits and pieces for the doors and fenders that come with the stage 2 scoops. The adhesive that I'm using is the 3M Automix Panel Bonding Adhesive which comes in cartridges:

there is an applicator available that costs on the order of $150 to $200 but I didn't bother with it. I just squeezed out the two components using even pressure on the back and mixed then together and applied it to the parts. Don't bother with the applicator unless you really want one.

To start, I sanded off the paint and primer to expose the base material on the door panels and fenders:

Then did some test fits without the adhesive:

After marking out where I wanted the pieces to sit I then applied the adhesive and clamped the parts in place:

And here are the parts after the adhesive set but prior to filling:

There fiberglass pieces don't precisely follow all the contours but they are close. I added fiberglass to the bottom edge as seen above to help fill in the gaps.

To fill in the holes in the fender left by the GT ground FX I adhered pieces of the fender material to the back side. These holes will then be filled in with filler.

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 04-10-2008).]

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2008 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sourmug

4538 posts
Member since Sep 2002
Also, I purchased an older model Firebird wing. I like the rear diffuser that was made here in this Thread

Here are a couple of pictures of 3.8 SC's car:

As noted in the thread above, the wing stand locations need to be modified to suit the rear fascia. Here is the stock position with the cuts marked out:

To make the cuts I used my trusty Dremmel tool with a cutting wheel. Make sure you wear a mask while doing this:

First I cut the marks across the wing:

And then along the seams on the front and rear edges of the wing. Once the cuts were done I carefully pried the pieces loose. They are bonded to a pair of ribs running lengthwise down the inside of the wing:

I then flipped the pieces and switched the ends that they were attached to and did a trial fit. As you can see there were a few gaps as I had slightly the wrong angle on my cuts:

During the prying process, the top and bottom surfaces of the wing separated slightly at the cuts so using the 3M adhesive I reattached them. In the picture below you can see the ribs:

To add more bonding surface, I attached some SMC tabs on the inside surface of the wing. These were bonded with the 3M and clamped:

Once the tabs were set the stands were bonded into their new locations:

The tabs also provide backing for filler to be added into the gaps, and some quick sanding was done to smooth out the edges prior to filling:

I then used the reinforced "kitty hair" filler:

And then of course the sanding begins

OK, that's all for tonight.
Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 04-10-2008).]

thismanyfieros

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2008 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i am beginning to think it will never be done..this thread makes me scared for my own ideas...thats why i just drive my car...lol...tooo little time ....looks sweet man....tim
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2008 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heres a few more shots of the door panels and the fenders. The initial filling and sanding is almost complete:

Oh, and here's the console

It's come a long way from this eh?

Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 04-11-2008).]

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2008 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sourmug

4538 posts
Member since Sep 2002

Originally posted by thismanyfieros:

i am beginning to think it will never be done..this thread makes me scared for my own ideas...thats why i just drive my car...lol...tooo little time ....looks sweet man....tim

Me too!
thismanyfieros

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2008 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hahahah...i have a solution nolan...you have too many ideas for just one car....so buy another one!!!!!!!!!!......tim
SAFASTRO

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2008 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW Nolan.......you never cease to amaze me!! And I'm sure a few more members watching this thread.
I hope to one day see this thing in person.
Great work, and I'm sure I'll be asking you tonnes of questions this spring, as I'm just starting the tear-down of my 87 GT, for my mods.
Hopefully the first thing will be the frame stretch. Any experience with that?? Or should I be asking Don that question??

------------------
Order your Official Pennock's Forum decals in this thread. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/040445.html

2" Choptop
Shortened Front Bumper
Shortened Rear Bumper
10" Stretch
Dubs
'07 3900 V6 Crate Motor Conversion

85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2008 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for this great tread,
I can't believe I never read it before......
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2008 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SAFASTRO:

WOW Nolan.......you never cease to amaze me!! And I'm sure a few more members watching this thread.
I hope to one day see this thing in person.
Great work, and I'm sure I'll be asking you tonnes of questions this spring, as I'm just starting the tear-down of my 87 GT, for my mods.
Hopefully the first thing will be the frame stretch. Any experience with that?? Or should I be asking Don that question??

Thanks!

No I don't have any experience with stretches, Don's the local "authority" for that, I'm sure he could help you out.

Originally posted by 85LAMB:

Thanks for this great tread,
I can't believe I never read it before......

My Pleasure

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 04-13-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2008 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Nolan,
The console looks fantastic. Keep up the great work.
Bob
fieromadman

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2008 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Amazing work! Good luck with the rest of the swap... oh and everything else too
fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2008 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OK, time for an update.

I have been working on attaching the various bits and pieces for the doors and fenders that come with the stage 2 scoops. The adhesive that I'm using is the 3M Automix Panel Bonding Adhesive which comes in cartridges:

there is an applicator available that costs on the order of $150 to $200 but I didn't bother with it. I just squeezed out the two components using even pressure on the back and mixed then together and applied it to the parts. Don't bother with the applicator unless you really want one.

Does this epoxy flex at all? I'm looking for good adhesive/epoxy to use on the chin spoiler on my car. I want to move my fog lights to the chin spoiler and add "bucket" section (like the front parking lights) to the chin spoiler. I want to try to find something that won't crack and can flex.

By the way, have been following this thread since the beginning, and everytime I see the work on your car I want to go out and work on my car. Thanks for giving me the motivation, your work is awesome.

Matt
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2008 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone!

fiero go fast: The 3M product that I used isn't intended for bumper repair. They do have another product which is 3M Automix 5895 Plastic repair. The description for this is:

"3M 5895 is a two-part epoxy used to repair most flexible plastic parts, including bumper covers and other plastic body panels. This product should NOT be used with SMC/Fiberglass. This product is easy sanding and formulated for excellent featheredge. Can be used to repair most plastic parts used on vehicles today. This product does not require a special applicator gun."

I have never used this but I think that it would be better suited for your application. **Note that this is NOT SUITABLE for SMC/Fiberglass**

Nolan
fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2008 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks everyone!

fiero go fast: The 3M product that I used isn't intended for bumper repair. They do have another product which is 3M Automix 5895 Plastic repair. The description for this is:

"3M 5895 is a two-part epoxy used to repair most flexible plastic parts, including bumper covers and other plastic body panels. This product should NOT be used with SMC/Fiberglass. This product is easy sanding and formulated for excellent featheredge. Can be used to repair most plastic parts used on vehicles today. This product does not require a special applicator gun."

I have never used this but I think that it would be better suited for your application. **Note that this is NOT SUITABLE for SMC/Fiberglass**

Nolan

Well the chin spoiler is just the bottom urethane portion cut off and flipped upside down. The parts I will be using for the bucket portion came from another front fascia's parking light ports. I'm unsure if the parking light area of the front fascia is SMC or urethane or not. Any clue?
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2008 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I understand it, the panel materials are as follows:

"SMC Sheet Molded Compound was used for the hood, roof, rear upper quarter, and rear decklid.

RRIM Reinforced Reaction Injection Molded urethane was used for fenders, door panels, and lower rear quarters. The rear lowers were later changed to injection molded nylon.

RIM Reaction Injected Molded urethane was used for front and rear fascias.

TPO Thermoplastic Olefin was used for rocker panels."

So the front fascia is a urethane.

Nolan

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn, thanks... I'll need to save that info somewhere. I'd give you a plus, but it looks like you had one from me already.

TRiAD

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DAMN! What a thread! You got a + from me, I'd have left you 5 if I could, lol!

What amazing work, and incredible documentation!!!

THANKS!!

------------------
~Michael

Project IMSA Formula Coming Soon!
'85 GT 4sp white - SOLD | | '85 2M6 Auto red - SOLD | | '84 2M4 bare chassis - SOLD
Crap, I'm out of Fieros! Time to buy another!! - "Your mileage may vary."

ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2008 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whoa. Nice deck lid build! :P
I'm almost speechless - Where the heck do some of you guys find the time to build things like this? It looks like a full time job plus plenty of overtime.

That car is rolling art.

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 05-15-2008).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock