Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  ~~ T-Top Conversion Story ~~ by Mister ~~ (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
~~ T-Top Conversion Story ~~ by Mister ~~ by Mister
Started on: 06-12-2007 12:24 AM
Replies: 113 (18920 views)
Last post by: jjd2296 on 04-15-2024 03:58 PM
Mister

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2007 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tuner2m6t:
Glad to be of service to you and I am glad everything worked out good for you. Loved the story and always look forward to seeing more of them from you.

Thank you tuner2m6t

What an appropriate opening 4 page 2 (by thread originator)

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 10-05-2007).]

IP: Logged
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2007 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update:

Finally installed the (CJB) T-Top trunk straps.
I know well, that most of T-Top owners store their glass windows behind the seats, it doesn't work for me.
So, here we go.

A quick coat of fresh "Anti Rust" paint on the brackets

In the original 88 CJB cars the top strap bracket hole is about 1" below the trunk light.
If (like me) you're installing it on an 84-86 car, you'll have to drill just between the trunk light and the plastic blower tube running below it.

If you drill horizontally the drill bit should come out just fine on the other side (no wires or tubes)

I decided to install the bottom bracket 1/2 under the trunk carpet, this way the bottom bolt is hidden under the carpet.
Made a 1" cut in the bottom of the carpet.

Slide in the bracket and drill down through the bracket hole.

Added some anti rust paint to all drilled holes and some silicon for good measure.

I recommend using SS bolts since the lower bolts would be exposed to water (and salt)
once again some rust paint and silicon.

Completed view of the install

For comparison, here is a regular install, where you see the bottom bolts.
(Thanks to 'SwissFormula' for the help with the pictures)

Top strap bolt, I decided to go with a round top for looks. (disregard the broken tab on the trunk light )

Lower bolt (hidden) and bracket

All is well, T-Tops are safely secured in the trunk

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 10-05-2007).]

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2008 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
x-thumpr-x

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2008 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mister:

trying to keep this out of archives?

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2008 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well well... It's been almost a year since the T-Top installation and finally I've got myself to making some minor fixes and install the P-Seals.
Long story short - somewhere in the Canadian postal system there is a box with a set of P-seals that someone is going to find someday...Tim from http://www.fieroparts.com was kind to resend a new set for the cost of the shipping only

The install is fairly easy, follow the instructions here: http://www.fierottop.com/waterleak and away you go.

Front P-Seal just sticks to the front trim and then you drill / punch the original rivet / screw holes through the thin aluminum backing and reinstall.

The instructions mention a location to tuck in the leftover edges, I found that folding inwards the 1cm that is left does the job and looks O.K.

Had to do some minor realignment of the B-Pillar - B-Butt Joint, glue and reseal.

Rear P-Seal install is more of the same story

Final look. I think I might have took the instructions too literally and installed the seals 1mm too high but after pressing the silicon strip (inside the seal) down it looks better and fills the gap better. There are still some gap areas that I'll have to figure out.

Overall I'm happy with the result

------------------

T-Top Conversion~Dual HUD~LED Setup~Red Fieros~Montreal Club~Carputer

extinct

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2008 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for extinctSend a Private Message to extinctEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How did you modify the mustang seal at the b-pillar? Very intersting.
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2008 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by extinct: How did you modify the mustang seal at the b-pillar? Very intersting.

My T-Top seals are original Fiero ones, 3.8 SC and Earl-R are the members that did that mod - see link:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-1-062154.html

extinct

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2008 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for extinctSend a Private Message to extinctEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thank for the info!
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2008 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just adding some appropriate photos...
(Posted on other thread)

Wet...

And Sunny...

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
JesseM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
second time i read this write up, i enjoyed it this time as well I think that if i could have any notchie on the forum it would be yours, everything done to it seems so appropriate
PFF
System Bot
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2008 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice idea by pswayne

Originally posted by pswayne:
If you have a t-top car, I've come up with a cheap substitue for p-seals that works (the wind noise is less with them). I did an article about it on the Georgia Fiero Club web site, on this page.

Originally posted by JesseM:
second time i read this write up, i enjoyed it this time as well I think that if i could have any notchie on the forum it would be yours, everything done to it seems so appropriate

Thanks
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2008 05:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3.8 SC:

Yep, I don't like the prices that people are charging for the gaskets or P-seals. I use the gaskets and P-seals for the 86 Ford Mustang T-tops. I would have to dig up the receipts, but I believe, I paid $180.00 for the two seals and the two gaskets, shipped to my house. C&C made the T-tops for those cars as well. I did have to rework the gasket at the B-pillar. But that was it. The reproduction P-seals for the Mustang, look better than the old Fiero P-seals, to me. They are solid black rubber with a felt like material glued on. I got my Mustang parts from CJ Pony Parts. http://www.cjponyparts.com/

Are you referring to the gasket seals that go around the perimeter of the door and T-Top? Was there ever a write up on how to modify these Mustang gaskets?

[This message has been edited by sjmaye (edited 08-12-2008).]

pswayne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2008 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pswayneSend a Private Message to pswayneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What year mustang parts did you use?
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2008 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sjmaye:
Are you referring to the gasket seals that go around the perimeter of the door and T-Top? Was there ever a write up on how to modify these Mustang gaskets?

There are a bit more details on page 1.

It was done by 3.8 SC and Yes, he is referring to the Weather Seals. he used the 86 Mustang that had C&C T-tops. This is the only thread I know of:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-1-062154.html

Earl-R used the F-82 Camaro C&C seals, details on the same thread.

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 08-12-2008).]

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2009 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We made it into "The Construction Zone"

Thanks Cliff
MileHighFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2009 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MileHighFieroSend a Private Message to MileHighFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you remove the black drip rail trim?
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2009 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MileHighFiero: Did you remove the black drip rail trim?

No, I have cut it to fit on the windshield A pillar. I liked the look of it better. (see photos above)

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This was posted by another member on another thread, I think it's worth posting here to keep some good info at one place.
Credit to FieroCustom

Originally posted by FieroCustom:

Ok, I just snapped and edited some pictures for posting, so here goes, a little introduction to the difference between CJB and non-CJB t-tops. With a couple pictures of the glass seals so you can tell the difference.
88 CJB glass, note the Cars & Concepts logo on it:

This is a non-CJB glass, it also has a Cars & Concepts log on it:

This is the union of the CJB glass seal and the CJB B-pillar seal:

This is the union of the CJB glass seal and the CJB A-pillar seal:

This is the union of a NON-cjb glass seal to my CJB B-pillar seal: (note the shallower angle of the glass seal, the non-cjb door seals are bigger than CJB to fill in that gap)

This is the union of a NON-cjb glass seal to my CJB A-pillar seal:

This is the B-pillar side of my CJB glass seal:

This is the B-pillar side of a NON-cjb glass seal:

This is the A-pillar side of my CJB glass seal:

This is the A-pillar side of a NON-cjb glass seal: (Note the different shape of the front of the seal)

This is the start of the CJB door seal, just below the A-pillar:

This is the CJB door seal at the peak of the A-pilllar:

This is the CJB door seal at the peak of the B-pillar:

This is the CJB door seal at the midpoint of the B-pillar

Ok, everyone knowledgeable about T-tops check these out, please let me know if any of this information is wrong. My car does have the CJB code, and I'm going under the assumption that the door seals and driver's side glass are actually CJB. That is what was passed down to me when I bought car. Passenger side glass is different because original owner broke passenger top. To my knowledge, the passenger side glass is non-CJB.
Sleebie, I hope this helps you find matching glass and seals, because you want to be able to put these on if it rains without having to bail out your car.
bowrapennocks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2009 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need to replace the t top seals on my 87 and am considering the cjponyparts WSTT6 seals for an 86 Mustang. Has anybody else installed these and do they leak? Also, will the Mustang seals for the glass panel work on the Fiero?

Thanks
Jim
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2009 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bowrapennocks:
I need to replace the t top seals on my 87 and am considering the cjponyparts WSTT6 seals for an 86 Mustang. Has anybody else installed these and do they leak? Also, will the Mustang seals for the glass panel work on the Fiero?
Thanks
Jim

Hi Jim, page 1 has some info about these seals posted by the guy that used them 3.8 SC
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/000070.html#p21 and below

Good luck, and keep us posted

PFF
System Bot
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A "I can do this" BUMP
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reading this really motivates me to do the restoration on the T-top I just acquired. Funny thing that when I got the car I saw those black seatbelts in the trunk and wondered who the hell would put something like that there. Not knowing I threw to the trash one piece of it
bowrapennocks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a note to follow-up. Early this year, I put F82 Camaro seals on my 87 t-top.........and still no leaks. See

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/104028.html

This will only work for non CJB seals.
Jim
elitopr

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2011 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for elitoprClick Here to visit elitopr's HomePageSend a Private Message to elitoprEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
awsome!!!!!!!!!!!! now I'm ready for mine!!!!!!!!!!
jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
jw has anybody tried, completed or seen a chop top with t tops?
Kento

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2011 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As the owner of #689, T-Tops make a Fiero!!! I have owned verts before but the T-Top is much cooler imho! Glad your enjoying yours and great build thread!

------------------

88 Formula CJB Arrived Finally. #689 of 1252
Time to start Working TONY!
There are Two kinds of Fiero's : Notchies and Donors!

KVCFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2013 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KVCFIEROSend a Private Message to KVCFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some nice work in this thread.
jsmorter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2013 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jsmorterSend a Private Message to jsmorterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Instead of cutting the roof panel how difficult is it to change it with the one from the car you are taking the t tops
jsmorter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2013 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jsmorterSend a Private Message to jsmorterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
420ponies

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 420poniesSend a Private Message to 420poniesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What a great thread !! Well, I have taken the plunge.I have just got ahold of a complete t-top out of a '85 fiero SE I had found at a u-pull-it nearby. I even have a insurance card with the vin and it is a non-cjb? (no c&c anywhere), I went to the registry and found that out.The only thing is 1 broken handle (driver's side) , but I found it inside the car and think I can repair it. the seals look good, came out in one piece.I cut the entire roof off to save all the pieces. only the p- seals are toast.This will be going into a '88 formula. I also got all the interior trim plus a good dash. Now , what to do with the complete sunroof I have for it .........gotta round up all those parts!
PFF
System Bot
420ponies

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 420poniesSend a Private Message to 420poniesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just an update,I did find the C&C logo on my t- tops. I was cleaning the tops today to see how good the glass was and if you angle the glass just right you can see it in the glass.Still can't believe I found this setup in the u pull-it yard.Started to take the rivets out of it also,going to get on this pretty soon.
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 05:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 420ponies:

What a great thread !! Well, I have taken the plunge.I have just got ahold of a complete t-top out of a '85 fiero SE I had found at a u-pull-it nearby. I even have a insurance card with the vin and it is a non-cjb? (no c&c anywhere), I went to the registry and found that out.The only thing is 1 broken handle (driver's side) , but I found it inside the car and think I can repair it. the seals look good, came out in one piece.I cut the entire roof off to save all the pieces. only the p- seals are toast.This will be going into a '88 formula. I also got all the interior trim plus a good dash. Now , what to do with the complete sunroof I have for it .........gotta round up all those parts!

CJB codes are 88 only. That is why you found nothing. All T-Top Fieros are C&C. The earlier kits differ to the 88 ones, but can be fitted to an 88.
Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-22-2015 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MIster,
Thanks for this excellent post with greater details about t-roof.

Guys, I'm thinking about buying a Fiero with t-roof and some members recommend against it b/c of leaks, squeaks, and wind noise. According to one member, t-top cars tend to have more body/chassis flex, which results in squeakiness and wind noise with the tops in, and over time facilitates leaking of water. Then the water can cause the t-top frame components around the seals to rust, which only exacerbates the issue.

A 2002 Firebird with T-tops might not be as bad, and the C6/C7 Vettes are much better with the targa roof, but I'd avoid 80s cars with T-tops like the plague.

What do you guys think? Much appreciated for any feedbacks. Thanks, Mister, for your message.
pcgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pcgoldSend a Private Message to pcgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vice:

MIster,
Thanks for this excellent post with greater details about t-roof.

Guys, I'm thinking about buying a Fiero with t-roof and some members recommend against it b/c of leaks, squeaks, and wind noise. According to one member, t-top cars tend to have more body/chassis flex, which results in squeakiness and wind noise with the tops in, and over time facilitates leaking of water. Then the water can cause the t-top frame components around the seals to rust, which only exacerbates the issue.

A 2002 Firebird with T-tops might not be as bad, and the C6/C7 Vettes are much better with the targa roof, but I'd avoid 80s cars with T-tops like the plague.

What do you guys think? Much appreciated for any feedbacks. Thanks, Mister, for your message.

I've got an 88 CJB. Only a few times have I got caught in the rain. No leaks. Sometimes when I wash it, there are a few drops that get in between the roof and the side windows but that would be from water under pressure.

BTW, great write up Mister.

[This message has been edited by pcgold (edited 06-23-2015).]

pgackeman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2016 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pgackemanSend a Private Message to pgackemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here I was wondering if it was possible to replace a sunroof with a t-top...

... and lo and behold, someone on Pennock's already did it.
bjm362

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2017 05:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjm362Send a Private Message to bjm362Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome job and great thread! Fantastic looking car!!!
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2022 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well Misters car has made its way into my fleet! She will be fully restored to her old glory, with several upgrades. interior will be fully replaced with a tan interior, new 3.4 block and supercharged, manual to auto conversion (I have a 5 speed already need to diversify). New paint, lowered, clean engine bay, full zettner brake swap. Her is the progress to date. Surprisingly with 350,oookm on it shes fairly rust free, nothing in the trunk and only the lower rad support needs replacing.

jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2022 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some more progress

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2022 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you running the Comp Cams Magnum rocker arms on your gold Fiero?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock